Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Silver2195 posted:

While I don't actually enjoy it as much as a more conventional shonen manga like Jujutsu Kaisen, I admire the World Trigger author's commitment to that kind of detail. Even though the big picture of the setting doesn't really make much sense (the responsibility for fending off alien invasions has essentially been entrusted to an after-school sports club in one town), there's a lot of thought put into all the little things - not just how the superpowers work, but also human touches like how the different teams arrange the furniture in their meeting rooms. It's the way a certain subset of shonen manga fans (at least, a lot of English-speaking Naruto fans back when that was running) seem to want shonen manga to be written (e.g., complaining that the limitations on the Substitution Jutsu that make it so much weaker in practice that Amenotejikara aren't spelled out explicitly enough), but no one except the World Trigger guy seems to actually write it that way, for better or for worse.

This post got me reading World Trigger, and what do you know turns out it's exactly my jam. Really dig the power system, love how characters have different powersets due to customizing their triggers differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
A few weeks ago, I finished Demon Slayer on the Shonen Jump app. It was really good; definitely a lot better than the previous series I'd marathoned on the app (Tokyo Ghoul). I'd read the first few chapters of Demon Slayer a while back but wasn't really into it (it seemed a bit too monotonously grim, I guess), but it got a lot better quickly.

It's funny how despite constantly saying that it's the Taisho era, the setting generally feels a lot less modern than something like Golden Kamuy, Rurouni Kenshin, or even Jin. We are still in the world of ninjas, wandering swordsmen, pre-Maria Luz incident prostitutes, hidden villages of swordsmiths, and messenger birds, rather than the world of democratization, guns, and telegraphs. The big exception to this - the train arc - feels out of place. No doubt some of this is because Gotouge is indulging in some false archaism, and the ninjas in particular are lampshaded, but some of the old-fashioned atmosphere can probably be defended as a result of the story’s focus: it’s set primarily in very rural areas, and the main characters are neither soldiers nor doctors. (Doctors do play important secondary roles, but their work is described in very vague terms.) Moreover, on a thematic level, Demon Slayer is not really about old vs. new the way Golden Kamuy, Kenshin, and Jin all are. (Why set it in the Taisho era at all, then? Perhaps the author feared that setting it any earlier would lead to well-known historical events and people impinging on the plot; they can let their own characters shine without being overshadowed by the Shinsengumi.)

The characters on the protagonist side are a mixed bag. Tanjiro is a solid enough lead, a compassionate hero who plays the straight man to Zenitsu and Inosuke. Nezuko is mostly underused; giving her more agency would have improved things, I think (especially getting rid of the bit about Tanjiro’s teacher hypnotizing her to make her protect humans other than Tanjiro, which is basically ignored but puts her situation in an unintentionally uncomfortable light.) Zenitsu is unusual for a battle manga sidekick in his genuine cowardice (instead of finding his spine at the last second like Usopp, he faints in terror and fights while unconscious) but not at all unusual in his horniness. I’m torn between hating him and laughing at the understatedly contemptuous way the other characters react to him. I gather he’s even more annoying in the anime version as a result of being voice-acted. I actually found Inosuke annoying at first as well, despite the fans (at least on SA) generally liking him, but he grew on me as his insistence on picking a fight at all times was toned down a bit. Many of the Hashira similarly start with a over-the-top personality that gets toned down as they get fleshed out.

The villains are consistently OK but not exceptional. Almost all of them get a flashback before dying, usually showing how some of the traits of their original human selves remain in them in some way but were twisted by becoming demons (e.g., they retained a strong desire to accomplish something that they were trying to do as humans, but forgot the underlying emotional connections to other people that underlay the goal in the first place). Few of them are quite as memorable as, say, the Naruto villains (who also tend to get sympathetic pre-death flashbacks).

The power system is unusual in giving weird powers to villains while making most of the heroes just swordsmen with slightly-superhuman physical ability and skill. This is kept visually interesting by illustrating the differing sword styles with the imagery of their associated elements, and also serves the purpose of keeping the humans the underdogs; they have to use cunning and/or teamwork to win. It is slightly confusing to have metaphorical fire powers and literal fire powers in the same manga, though.

Fights are generally tense and are resolved without asspulls. They sometimes go on a bit too long, though.

I would consider this a clearly above-average shonen battle manga. Not quite on the level of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure or Hunter x Hunter, but definitely a cut above Bleach, and more consistent in quality than Claymore or MHA.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I started reading Undead Unluck like a week ago and just finished catching up, I'm really surprised by how good it is. Fun characters, a unique story, neat power system, I'm looking forward to more

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Shorter reviews of other manga I read on the app lately:

Tokyo Ghoul (and Re: Tokyo Ghoul): This is not a very good series, frankly, although I somehow read all of it. It's excessively edgy in ways that lead to illogical world-building (why haven't ghouls gone extinct by now?), make a lot of the characters unlikeable (the former-enemies-becoming-friends trope doesn't work very well when the former enemies are monsters that literally kill and eat people), and sometimes are simply in bad taste. The fight scenes are somehow both samey and hard to follow. There's too many characters to keep track of. There's a lot of confusing scenes where it's not clear if something is actually happening or is just a metaphor or a character's hallucination. So why did I finish it? Partly, I guess, because I liked the very early chapters where the main character was dealing with being turned into a ghoul, and the portions of Re: Tokyo Ghoul where the main character was mentoring his new squad. Partly because when you read just about any story for long enough, you develop a vague interest in the resolution of the plot threads. Partly, if I'm honest, because I need my shonen battle manga fix and was running low on long series on the app I hadn't read yet (I'm now basically down to Bakuman, Blue Exorcist, and :barf: D. Gray Man).

I liked Food Wars much better, which is odd because I dug up the old ADTRW thread for it and found that it was fairly negative much of the time. I think this is partly because I don't know enough about about cooking to nitpick the details of the cook-offs the way a lot of people in the thread did, and partly because I didn't take the plot and characterization as seriously as a lot of the thread seemed to (it's a very (probably intentionally) silly series in many ways). Seeing the characters come up with crazy new dishes was fun (and pretty impressive; apparently the writer hired a food consultant to help him come up with all those recipes), and most of the characters were likable. But it's definitely a flawed series, even by shonen manga standards. The main character making reckless bets and never really facing any consequences for it gets old after a while, the drama involving Erina's terrible family does detract from the goofy atmosphere somewhat, and parts of the final arc were rushed.

I don't have much energy left to write about Assassination Classroom, which is a pity because of the manga I'm reviewing, it's the one that there's probably the most to say about, thematically. It's oddly similar to Food Wars in some ways (set at a school where there's a lot of unreasonably intense competition, but here it mostly revolves around normal school things like exams and sports instead of food). The comedic and dramatic elements both work well sometimes, but sometimes clash with each other; a lot of the emotional beats, for example, only really work if you don't take the premise (especially the threat of the world being destroyed) as seriously as you take some of the subplots, but of course towards the end the story becomes about the possibility of the students or other characters literally and seriously killing Koro-sensei, and about how the world's governments are dealing with the literal and serious (if less probable than previously believed) possibility of the world being destroyed. If you take individual plotlines on their own terms the story generally works well enough, though; Koro-sensei being endearingly dorky, the wacky assassination attempts, and some of the more battle manga-y scenarios are fun. Maybe the biggest flaw of the series is that there are too many characters who don't stand out much; of the 28 Class 3-E students, only 5 or so feel memorable. It does deserve some credit for actually trying to say something about real life, even when it was being silly, instead of just indulging in silly battle and food manga tropes for their own sake the way Food Wars often did.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think Mashle (at this stage) works because absolutely everyone looks down on him and poo poo talks him. They're super classist towards him in a general way that doesn't feel explicit, and he just dusts himself off and goes to work.

It works extra well for me since I really dislike half of the stuff being lampooned here and love wizards getting punched.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I started reading Undead Unluck like a week ago and just finished catching up, I'm really surprised by how good it is. Fun characters, a unique story, neat power system, I'm looking forward to more
Since you read it more directly and more recently, did it feel kinda jarring going to where it is from where it started?

I really like where it is but I don't feel like recommending the beginning since it's pretty off.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
UU had a rough start yeah. But after the first 10 chapters it really picked up. It has the same level of crazy like Bleach. But unlike Bleach people don't flat out explain their powers. Which turns the fights more into something you'd see in Jojo.

I also like the relationship between Andy and Fuuko.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I reasonably enjoyed Food Wars even during the Food Hitler arcs, but I had to tap out during the Blue arc. Evil clown who cooked via juggling was a bit too much for me in the end.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah, the Yakitate Japan problem

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

You owe it to yourself to read two more chapters for chainsaw chef

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Food Wars had the problem of ever-escalating stakes, and also introducing bullshit that was in no way justified.

Up until the Food Hitler arc, the stakes had been low-ish: Souma was enrolled in an elite cooking school, there were some people who didn't like a "commoner" being there, and they were trying to run him out. Simple as that.

Then Food Hitler shows up, and it becomes a fight with the whole culinary world at stake, which is a significant step up from what it was previously. Also, several characters are absolutely insufferable and irredeemable. But in the end the arc is resolved, and everything is fine.

And then bullshit magic powers are introduced. You see, up until then, everything regarding cooking had been plausible, though sometimes exaggerated for the sake of drama. Yeah, okay, whatever, it was fine. But suddenly! Chainsaw juggling cooking clowns!

And also, the arc's antagonist has literally the power to steal other's people cooking abilities when he takes their favourite cooking implement (either through a food battle, or freely given). Literally magic, coming out of nowhere, in a manga that had been fairly grounded up until then.

Seriously I don't know what the gently caress the authors were thinking; or, rather, if there was some kind of editorial interference pushing them towards a specific direction.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I remember the opponent early on who could mimic his opponents and they did the usual "ahaaah maybe you can copy my mannerisms and moves but you cannot copy...MY HEART!!" thing, are they saying they went a step further and said "i can literally take your knowledge away from you?"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
One of the food wars chefs was straight out of hunter x hunter with how gimmicky and specific his food related bullshit power was I'm talking about the guy that if he beats you in a cook off and takes one of your utensils as a result, he can perfectly use your cooking style with that utensile afterwards And yes, that's still not as ridiculous as the Juggalo or chainsaw chick.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
If you gave up on food wars number 311 is probably still worth reading. It's the one where you find out about Soma's mom, and was looks like something the author came up with at the start of the story.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Hot drat Mashle is bullshit and :perfect:

Loved this chapter

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Spiderdrake posted:

Since you read it more directly and more recently, did it feel kinda jarring going to where it is from where it started?

I really like where it is but I don't feel like recommending the beginning since it's pretty off.

Maybe a teensy bit jarring, but I've enjoyed the evolution of the plot and it's felt very believable. Early on it felt like Fuuko cared for Andy because he gave her something of a purpose, but Andy didn't really give a poo poo about her as anything beyond a way to die. But then as things went on, I can tell they genuinely began caring for each other on a deeper and more personal level. I also appreciate it never tried the will-they won't-they "do I... Like him/her??" shtick.

As for the overall goal changing from killing Andy to killing God, it also makes sense imo as Andy and Fuuko's priorities changed. The ultimate core of the manga is still "fight monster things that crop up and also other negators" so it felt natural to me, and the time loop stuff just added a neat layer to the story imo.

The only slightly jarring thing was them "time traveling" by going into Andy's soul book thing, but that was a sweet couple chapters and made for some cool fights so I'm down with it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Hot drat Mashle is bullshit and :perfect:

Loved this chapter

loving hell this series has no right being this fun. Sakamoto days as well I'm enjoying family man John Wick His daughter bringing the assassins bandages is :3:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Dragonball's Ninth Baseball rules, no sense of pacing whatsoever.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
This week's Roboco

poo poo, are we all gonna turn into Roboco?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Witch Watch is really fun

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Souma falling into the toilet basically happens because Azami sucks and towards the end of that arc the cooking consultant left because she was on maternity leave. Lame plot turn combined with a lack of real food in a cooking manga that at least focused on real cooking concepts equals a precipitous decline.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Witch Watch is really fun

Yeah, this chapter was really good. I'm all for stupid hijinks like this.

But let's face it, this was an excellent week.

Mashle: Fantastic. I can listen to Mash's trashtalk all day.

Sakamoto: Okay for the most part, but the end had me in stitches. "I'll just drink more!"

9 Dragonballs: Can this be anymore standard and predictable? And yet, I find it wholly inoffensive and enjoyed reading it.

Undead Unluck: Cool fight.

Roboco: Roboco

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mashle: I appreciate the creativity in finding ridiculous ways for Mash to use his super strength.

Nine Dragons: When the new guy makes his serious face he's the absolute spitting image of Eren from Attack On Titan.

Sakamoto: Good supporting cast. Especially drunken boxing girl.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Also related to Sakamoto Days, one of the characters shown in the final pages might be a callback to a previous oneshot by the author.
Garaku

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm liking Witch Watch a lot. The gag with Moi being really into old European fashion was really funny.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a good unexpected gag, i could do without the constant stream of shallow references to other stuff though

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I haven't binged this. But I dropped after the first 3 chapters and only picked it back up again a few weeks ago. I still dislike Andy, but everything else is pretty awesome.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm enjoying Elusive Prince a lot, the 4th wall gag with the priest (read: author) being terrified of animal abuse complaints got a chuckle out of me, and I've always loved the artist's imagery.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I'm enjoying Elusive Prince a lot, the 4th wall gag with the priest (read: author) being terrified of animal abuse complaints got a chuckle out of me, and I've always loved the artist's imagery.

The art is why I keep reading it, in spite of the fact that it hasn't been very engaging so far. Same with Phantom Seer.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The art is why I keep reading it, in spite of the fact that it hasn't been very engaging so far. Same with Phantom Seer.

idk, i was feeling like that up until the archery premise and how he'd have to basically hide in plain sight from the guy looking for him that things really started getting actually interesting. and also the ever mounting evidence of the priest being from the future

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Erg posted:

You owe it to yourself to read two more chapters for chainsaw chef

I swear the chainsaw nazi lady was before the evil clown because I remember reading the chapters about her and it really straining me, but it's possible that I've mixed up the order. That or there's another chainsaw chef.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, there is that one chainsaw guy. He's not much of a chef, but has a lot of meat to practice with recently.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

dogsicle posted:

it's a good unexpected gag, i could do without the constant stream of shallow references to other stuff though

Yeah the references were paced out somewhat in the past chapters, but here it felt constant and took away from this chapter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The dumb cooking powers aren't why soma got bad imo it was literally everything else with the cast and the characters from Azami on

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Despite being part of the title the Shokugekis ended up being the most boring part of the manga, I can only name like a couple that were good. The manga needed more stuff like the hotel exam or any of the restaurant setups.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

I swear the chainsaw nazi lady was before the evil clown because I remember reading the chapters about her and it really straining me, but it's possible that I've mixed up the order. That or there's another chainsaw chef.

I’m going off of probably three year old memories now so you’re probably right

either way you got to see chainsaw cooking which is what’s important

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I'm now rereading the Naruto manga, because 1) it was a decade ago and I was much younger when I last read/watched the earlier parts of Naruto, and I thought it would be interesting to see if it still holds up, and 2) anything to put off the day when I inevitably resort to reading D. Gray Man. I'm currently on the Forest of Death.

In general, it holds up pretty well. The fights are tense, and they're clever without being confusing the way some of the later fights became. Well, I guess there's bits where I suspect I would have been somewhat confused if not for my memory of watching the anime a decade ago filling in the gaps, but I attribute that to the Viz translation of the early manga not being very good; they weren't great at keeping terminology consistent, for example. I like the way the worldbuilding is done gradually, instead of devolving into piles of exposition the way Samurai 8 did. There's a rather grim undercurrent (though it's not overdone), a sense that ninja culture even in Leaf is not very psychologically healthy, even though they're still "good guys" compared to the likes of Mist. (Although it feels like the specific idea that ninjas aren't supposed to show emotion gets discarded pretty early; it's certainly not a principle Might Guy believes in...)

That said, there are also some subtle signs of the series' later problems. While Sakura isn't quite as useless as she's usually remembered as being, there's a sense that Kishimoto isn't quite sure what to do with her in the long run; Kakashi's internal monologue during the tree-climbing training implies that she's destined to be overshadowed by Naruto and Sasuke. The really interesting problem with Sakura, though, is the way the manga is painfully explicit about what she's thinking at all times (both via the Inner Sakura gag and via Kakashi's own internal monologue analyzing Sakura), perhaps more so than it is about what Naruto is thinking. But it's harder to tell exactly what Sasuke is thinking. This leads to a weird problem in shonen manga storytelling that Xibanya, I believe, mentioned in one of her essays on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Dragon Ball: it trains us to expect characters' thoughts to be spelled out, so when they aren't, we assume that the character isn't actually thinking anything in particular. Post-timeskip, we get even less of Sasuke's thoughts than we do pre-timeskip, so we're left to assume that either he really is as stupid and evil as he sounds much of the time, or (the Doylist interpretation) Kishimoto isn't quite sure what Sasuke is thinking.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Then one chapter something in my brain snapped and I realized just how big of a copy it is of JJK. High schoolers in secret group that hunts demons. Main character summons other demon's to fight. Other main character is a ridiculously powerful demon hunter that everyone knows about that also covers their eyes for mysterious reasons. For whatever reason the similarities became so obvious to me that I just couldn't keep reading be abuse it stopped being a story to me, and just a means to leech off JJK's success. It just doesn't have enough of its own voice to make it stand above those comparisons like Chainsaw Man did - which was even MORE of a blatant copy, but oozed style so strongly that it didn't matter. CSM eventually veered far off in its own direction than JJK, and while maybe Phantom Seer will too, I just am not that interested in staying along for the ride. Maybe if it sticks around for a while and posters here sing it some praises I'll check it out again. I do want to like it, it's just pretty blah.

I know going to bat for Chainsaw Man is something of a default setting for me, but it showed its hand pretty early with Denji's absurdly terrible background, and he was putting "touch a girl's boobs" as his Big Shonen Goal by chapter 4.

While going with the standard post-Naruto trio for the main cast (loud blonde hero, stoic black haired rival, red-to-pink haired main girl) is a big similarity between JJK and Chainsaw Man that Phantom Seer lacks, Chainsaw Man takes a very hard swerve away from the default in the basic setup with Public Safety being, well, public. Instead of monster hunters being a shadowy secret organization of heroes, they're civil servants, complete with a union and vacation days. Being a Devil Hunter isn't special. It's the job you take when you can't even get into your safety school. Basically, it's immediate grounding for the setting in a way that contrasts with most demon hunting manga, including Jujutsu.

Something that's been often noted (and sometimes praised) about Jujutsu Kaisen is how little time it spends on the "school" part of monster hunter school, keeping the focus on the adventure part. Yuji's "regular" friends got ditched in chapter 1, for example. Chainsaw Man, by contrast, keeps a bit of focus on the mundane for the contrast. Yes, Devil Hunting is a life and death struggle against the supernatural embodiments of human fear, but the paperwork and the drinks with coworkers are the same as for any other job in 90s Japan.

I'll freely admit that Chainsaw Man has a lot of similarities, but I think that the differences showed up early enough to make it feel like an amusing coincidence rather than a redundancy.

Anyway, going back to stuff currently running in Jump, I've been paying attention to the sales figures off and on, and since I saw people asking about it without getting answers, I figured I should at least pass on some broad outline stuff.

Roboco's selling pretty well for a gag manga, which probably secures its future. High School Family and Magu-Chan aren't so lucky, but gag mangas have low expectations, so they're probably not top of the chopping block.

Mashle's a bit of a breakout hit right now. It's big with middle aged women, and selling the best numbers of the non-established serieses, although it's still not up there with the utterly insane numbers Kaiju 8 is getting. (500K a volume by volume 2 is an astonishing start. Between Kaiju, Spy, and Chainsaw Man part 2, Jump Plus has some very high profile hits.)

Finally, Phantom Seer is... weird. It's getting pretty solid numbers for current jump (not Mashle or anything, but it's regularly selling out), but it's not getting promotions like Undead Unluck or Masle, and it's constantly at the back of the magazine. Some people are conspiracy mongering about Jump editorial wanting to kill it, for one reason or another, but whatever the truth is, it feels weird.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

Finally, Phantom Seer is... weird. It's getting pretty solid numbers for current jump (not Mashle or anything, but it's regularly selling out), but it's not getting promotions like Undead Unluck or Masle, and it's constantly at the back of the magazine. Some people are conspiracy mongering about Jump editorial wanting to kill it, for one reason or another, but whatever the truth is, it feels weird.
Undead Unluck feels like Dr. Stone part 2 where I think it's pretty good (Undead Unluck- outside of people having special powers and fighting, is paced/written like nothing else in Jump. It's pretty bonkers) and clearly management and aficionados seem to all really like it- but it's not really moving numbers like some of the other stuff in the magazine that gets less love. Dr. Stone only in the last year or so started selling volumes at a rate I think was commiserate with a series that gets a spinoff and color/cover pages semi-regularly. Undead Unluck won the Tsugi ni Kuru award in 2020 but I want to say got outsold by Mashle in the first week of their latest volumes.

Jump is in a weird spot right now. The thing that's really strange is how break-out hits just EXPLODE.

Demon Slayer was great IMO (I made the loving thread for it here because I really liked it) but as a person who really liked it a lot and was incredibly thrilled it got an amazing anime adaptation? It's not "130 million volumes in circulation in the space of a year" good. It's just not. I dunno what specifically gave it such a strong hook in Japan but I've never seen anything like it.

Then it happened basically AGAIN with Jujutsu Kaisen, another series I really like. I dunno- if people don't see that good anime adaptations seem to move volumes after this I have no idea what the deal is with any reasonably popular series getting the Studio Clown treatment again. Bort has name recognition in it to get people to tolerate filler between "That episode where we got our best key animators out". Black Clover's anime itself was apparently really profitable but it's ending, presumably for good soon and the series' volume sales have fallen off.

If Chainsaw Man gets a good adaptation and blows up too, I don't ever wanna see an excuse given for a One Punch Man Season 2/Seven Deadly Sins level debacle again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Awesome post, thanks! I want to clarify that by saying CSM was a blatant copy of JJK, I wasn't really saying that as a bad thing because CSM uses that expectation and really fucks with the reader cus of it. It definitely hints at where it's going with Denji's boob goal, the mundanity of the setting, and just the overall tone. However the surface-level stuff really makes it come off as a copy, and I think most readers will just think it's a copy that has a weird tone. The first few arcs really try to sell this to you, too. Here's a wacky group of characters, with a few waifu candidates too! Oh man this eyepatch girl likes top-knot, I wonder if they'll get together! It really works hard to get you into the Shonen manga groove, then she loving dies and half the "cast" dies or leaves the story wholesale. The attack on the train is what really "starts" CSM in my opinion, everything else before that point is solely setting up for that moment.