Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I just watched They Live on UHD and it looks amazing. I’ve only ever seen it on DVD and this was stunning in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I was just in a record shop and the prices were pretty drat good. Some stone cold classic jazz records for 10-15 bucks and one rare record I paid $60 for which was still really good and the condition was mint from the 70’s.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Libera te tutemet ex inferis.

That reminds me, Shout Factory’s Event Horizon special edition should ship soon, I think?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xenomrph posted:

That reminds me, Shout Factory’s Event Horizon special edition should ship soon, I think?

No Director's Cut, no deal!

Allegedly the producer may have had a VHS workprint with that version of the movie around and him and Paul Anderson were basically like "meh".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’d heard that Anderson had the VHS but it wasn’t in a good enough quality to be worth using.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

I’d heard that Anderson had the VHS but it wasn’t in a good enough quality to be worth using.

drat that Romanian salt mine!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CPL593H posted:

No Director's Cut, no deal!

Allegedly the producer may have had a VHS workprint with that version of the movie around and him and Paul Anderson were basically like "meh".

They investigated this lead and it didn't actually exist. They tried to get it, the footage is for real lost.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

They investigated this lead and it didn't actually exist. They tried to get it, the footage is for real lost.

Lame. I'm trying to keep hope alive and think that maybe it'll end in a sort of Nightbreed situation where they find it somewhere unexpectedly some day.

LET ME HAVE THIS, I NEED A WIN.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Xenomrph posted:

Mine is in the mail as of Thursday .

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

CPL593H posted:

Price have been going out of control for the last several years. Back in the earlier days of my collection you could get all kinds of awesome poo poo for 5-10 bucks all day every day. Now those 5-10 dollar records are 20-40. And this isn't rare poo poo, these are albums that sold millions of copies. After the lockdowns those kind of prices got even higher. It's completely loving ridiculous. A new LP use to be about 15 bucks now that same stuff is 25-30. Ebay scalpers and price speculators sucked all the fun out of it. I want to go back to when record collectors were just autistic weirdos like me and old guys who still smoke weed. I really hope the bubble bursts, but I've been saying that poo poo for like six or seven years.

I went to several mom & pop record stores last year (pre-pandemic) and was shocked at how they almost only had sealed reissues from the past 2-3 years. And all those were like $30-40 each.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
You know what's a crazy good deal nowadays? CDs. I bought a few just to have in my car's CD changer (I have the last car with no aux port) and I forgot how good they sound. And they cost so little!

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Yep CDs are in a great place right now. Most people view them as obsolete (not me), and they're not yet "retro". They're still the best way to listen to music.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I should buy some sort of CD player. I’ve got like 400 in my closet sitting there after I ripped them all.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Going to Goodwill for $1 CDs is great every once in a while. There's a record site near me that has a better selection for $5 each.

I still miss SecondSpin.com though. I used to buy like 20 CDs at a time.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Spatulater bro! posted:

Yep CDs are in a great place right now. Most people view them as obsolete (not me), and they're not yet "retro". They're still the best way to listen to music.

But the mastering! LOUDNESS WAR!

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Spatulater bro! posted:

perhaps but they're not as good as vinyls

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
20 years after first thinking "That sounds right up my street, must watch it sometime" I finally picked up a DVD of Roman Coppolla's CQ (not on Netflix). Because a lot of the reviews summed it up as Babby's First 8 1/2, I decided I really should broaden my cinematic horizons by getting hold of Fellini's film. Which inevitably wasn't on Netflix. But I found not just 8 1/2, but three other Fellini classics as well, on Blu-Ray for just £20. And that's why I like physical media, because everything else I've picked up recently, whether good or trash (from Frankenheimer's The Train to the 1988 War of the Worlds TV series and a bundle of 1950s monster movies) just isn't available to stream. And I'd rather shell out for a disc occasionally than pay for multiple streaming services that still may well not have whatever obscure movie/show that takes my fancy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I hope she likes absurdly overpriced hobbies at the absolute worst time to start!

To be honest, she'll probably not actually be the idiot buying vinyl. It'll likely be me buying the Spookies soundtrack.

TheScott2K posted:

You know what's a crazy good deal nowadays? CDs. I bought a few just to have in my car's CD changer (I have the last car with no aux port) and I forgot how good they sound. And they cost so little!

I was at Walmart the other day and realized that they don't even have CDs for sale anymore, but they sure as hell have a section for vinyl.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I, Butthole posted:

They don't look as good on a shelf but that's about it.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I, Butthole posted:

CDs sound better. Fight me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm pretty sure there's at least three of us in here on this side.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

CDs absolutely rule. I have thousands and they are currently really cheap unless you're a old metal dork like me and you want a specific pressing of an album, then they become extremely expensive. One that I've been hunting for popped up on eBay a few weeks ago and sold for almost $130 (I didn't win this auction).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Google Play Music getting eaten by the vastly inferior YouTube Music got me buying CDs again. Within minutes, they're in my Plex in FLAC format and I never have to worry about them going away.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultraviolence123 posted:

CDs absolutely rule. I have thousands and they are currently really cheap unless you're a old metal dork like me and you want a specific pressing of an album, then they become extremely expensive. One that I've been hunting for popped up on eBay a few weeks ago and sold for almost $130 (I didn't win this auction).

I will never forget the time that I snagged Cirith Ungol's Paradise Lost on eBay for $15. Somehow it's actually in print as of a few years ago, but this was circa 2007, and at the time it was famous for having exactly one pressing.

TheScott2K posted:

Google Play Music getting eaten by the vastly inferior YouTube Music got me buying CDs again. Within minutes, they're in my Plex in FLAC format and I never have to worry about them going away.

That really is what I like about having CDs (and Blu Rays). I own them, no one can take them away from me

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’m kicking myself for throwing away all the cases for the grand majority of my CDs/DVDs.

Been saving them since the switch to Blu-ray, and that shelf of physical media looks so nice compared to these big black cases of bare discs. :(

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I did that with the CD’s I’ve got but not my movies.

Using these sleeves https://spacesavingsleeves.com/

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

in theory, except they start skipping if you even look at them wrong

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

in theory, except they start skipping if you even look at them wrong

Vinyl counterpoint: 1 speck of dust = 1 pop/click.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Vinyl counterpoint: 1 speck of dust = 1 pop/click.

that's a feature not a bug

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

ultraviolence123 posted:

Or the Japanese edition of the album which has three exclusive tracks not available elsewhere.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Another thing I hate about vinyl is it's a bitch to rip. I hate it when I buy something that's vinyl only and it doesn't include a digital download code. Waxworks Records rarely include codes, and it was really annoying to rip the soundtracks for My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Don't Go in the House, so on. A CD can be popped into my PC, and I have a perfect rip 10 minutes later.

I'm also part of the CDs sound better crew.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Vinyl > digital=CD

Just how it is. The experience is top notch.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

Or the Japanese edition of the album which has three exclusive tracks not available elsewhere.

It was my understanding that this existed because in Japan there's some law where you can just return CDs for any reason, so people would just buy them, rip them and return them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

:frogout:

Spatulater bro! posted:

It comes down to the mastering. There are plenty of lovely vinyl LPs, especially now that they're just cranking them out as fast as they can. The problem with CDs and digital downloads is that they're mastered too loud and it ruins the dynamic range of the recording. But I acknowledge that this is a thing most people with never notice or care about. Also the thing about dust is less of a problem than you think and if you take proper care of your records they can last for decades. They make inexpensive brush that does a very good job getting surface dust off of the records and brushes or sticky things to get the dust off of the stylus. I'm a lot more hardline than a lot of people so in addition to that I have a machine that actually vacuum cleans records.

Now that said, would I ever recommend getting into record collecting to anyone? gently caress no!

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If you store a CD in one of those CaseLogic cases, they’ll end up scratched as gently caress even if you never pull them out

Why? I don’t know

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Alec Eiffel posted:

If you store a CD in one of those CaseLogic cases, they’ll end up scratched as gently caress even if you never pull them out

Why? I don’t know

it was 80's technology!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ultraviolence123 posted:

Another thing I hate about vinyl is it's a bitch to rip. I hate it when I buy something that's vinyl only and it doesn't include a digital download code. Waxworks Records rarely include codes, and it was really annoying to rip the soundtracks for My Bloody Valentine, The Prowler, Don't Go in the House, so on. A CD can be popped into my PC, and I have a perfect rip 10 minutes later.

I'm also part of the CDs sound better crew.

This is an aside, but it's an absolute travesty that the soundtrack for Don't Go in the House doesn't include that interminable "Struck by Boogie Lightning" disco song from the scene where he buys a shirt. I'd buy it for that alone!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Iron Crowned posted:

I will never forget the time that I snagged Cirith Ungol's Paradise Lost on eBay for $15. Somehow it's actually in print as of a few years ago, but this was circa 2007, and at the time it was famous for having exactly one pressing.

That is a pretty sweet find. I've never come across Cirith Ungol CDs in the wild, and growing up there used to be a metal shop about six blocks from my house. Even struggle with finding them on eBay.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

This is an aside, but it's an absolute travesty that the soundtrack for Don't Go in the House doesn't include that interminable "Struck by Boogie Lightning" disco song from the scene where he buys a shirt. I'd buy it for that alone!

Truly a shameful omission and literally 50% of the reason why I had preordered the record from Waxworks originally. Thankfully, Do It to Me from House on the Edge of the Park (the superior early 80s horror disco track) surfaced on the soundtrack to Phantom of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZZZdeqXcmA

Sorry for the derail everybody.

On topic, I watched my new Warner Archive disc for 1951's Showboat, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Maybe one of the best looking Blu-rays I own. Highly recommended for fans of lavish 50s technicolor musicals. As a diehard fan of metal, 80s slashers, every Van Damme movie, and Eurohorror, I obviously fall into that category.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

That is a pretty sweet find. I've never come across Cirith Ungol CDs in the wild, and growing up there used to be a metal shop about six blocks from my house. Even struggle with finding them on eBay.

I unfortunately missed out on getting the repress of Cirith Ungol's demo on the true superior audio format: cassette tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I've definitely seen Cirith Ungol's first 3 albums as CDs in the wild but that was years ago.