Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

They did a lovely job of cutting the ditra too, and then made absolutely no effort to seal it where the subfloor meets the walls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Why would you even use Ditra there? It looks to be over a wooden subfloor, and I've always used hardi cement board over wood subfloor. Ditra would be more common over a slab floor to decouple the tile from the slab, or for waterproofing in a shower.

My wife wants to do a similar tile in our back entry/powder room space, and my plan was 1/4" hardi under the tile, mostly to minimize the height difference between the tile and the Pergo in the kitchen.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

PitViper posted:

My wife wants to do a similar tile in our back entry/powder room space, and my plan was 1/4" hardi under the tile, mostly to minimize the height difference between the tile and the Pergo in the kitchen.

whoever "renovated" my kitchen floor just slapped tiles down with no regard for the height difference. and when i was working on the dishwasher recently, i also learned that if i were to pull up the tiles, i will most likely find some ancient linoleum that was already there when they put the tiles in :discourse:

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Our last house the previous owner helpfully tiled the entry and downstairs bath.... By basically using a dollop of improperly-mixed thinset under each tile, and some sort of non-cement grout in the very uneven gaps. It made removing them and redoing both spaces much easier, I will say.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
Previous owners in my house tiled two of the kitchen walls, the wall above the sink and the cooker/cabinets wall. On one wall the tiles were half offset with each other, on the other wall they were quarter offset. Drove me mad till I ripped them all out. They did a very sloppy job as well with oddly cut tiles and uneven lines.

They also tiled on top of the old tiles that were in the kitchen.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Motronic posted:

It also looks like he used the same kind of grout both above and below the ditra. Which is wrong.

I know nothing about tiling, though I just read a little about Ditra. Could you explain about the grout comment?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ebola Dog posted:

Previous owners in my house tiled two of the kitchen walls, the wall above the sink and the cooker/cabinets wall. On one wall the tiles were half offset with each other, on the other wall they were quarter offset. Drove me mad till I ripped them all out. They did a very sloppy job as well with oddly cut tiles and uneven lines.

They also tiled on top of the old tiles that were in the kitchen.

Oh Markorepairs finally managed to sell the place?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Tile not centered on floor, so it starts with a full piece in te upper right so both the door-side and behind the toilet are thin strips and not symmetrical to the opposite wall. Less of an issue "north-south" since the tile is covered by the vanity and toilet, but "east-west" it looks bad.

can someone explain to me how the tile "should" look here, in terms of the symmetry/pattern? most of the floor tile i've seen in my life has at least one end/corner like the bit here with the tiny strips in the corner

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

can someone explain to me how the tile "should" look here, in terms of the symmetry/pattern? most of the floor tile i've seen in my life has at least one end/corner like the bit here with the tiny strips in the corner

Usually you start a full tile centered in the room along both axis and go out from there so that the thin strips where the tiles meets the wall are the same size on opposite walls and look symmetrical.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I know nothing about tiling, though I just read a little about Ditra. Could you explain about the grout comment?

Sure, per the instructions as i recall and from a skim here: http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/4011832035982_install.pdf

You need to use modified thin set under it and unmodified over it. Modified has latex compounds and other things in it that give it different drying and strength characteristics and Schulter says this is the way it must be done. So if you're going to spend all this time and effort (and maybe have a chance at the warranty but whatever) why wouldn't you follow the very specific instructions given to get the durability out of the product you paid extra for to get durability?

If you don't want to deal with all the trouble skip the extra poo poo and just slap down whatever is cheap and easy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

^^^ but it shows that you're cutting-edge competent using the latest thing! ^^^

DrBouvenstein posted:

Usually you start a full tile centered in the room along both axis and go out from there so that the thin strips where the tiles meets the wall are the same size on opposite walls and look symmetrical.
And consider making an adjustment to that rule in order to get a full tile run right at the doorway. And try to avoid a layout that puts less than half of a tile in the contact footprint of the toilet.

In this tiny powder room, installing tile is like a knife fight in a phonebooth. There would also be substantial waste to lay an aestectically-pleasing floor ("substantial" being a relative term in this room).

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

DrBouvenstein posted:

Good God. I don't give two shits about the design or aesthetic they're going for (ok, I do slightly and the industrial-chic style HAS to be over with now, right? We've all been in too many breweries with concrete counters and Edison bulbs,) but how can they not see that sink is INCREDIBLY small and will just result in water being splashed everywhere from washing their hands?

oh my god, it's like a hollowed out potato.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

PainterofCrap posted:

^^^ but it shows that you're cutting-edge competent using the latest thing! ^^^

And consider making an adjustment to that rule in order to get a full tile run right at the doorway. And try to avoid a layout that puts less than half of a tile in the contact footprint of the toilet.

In this tiny powder room, installing tile is like a knife fight in a phonebooth. There would also be substantial waste to lay an aestectically-pleasing floor ("substantial" being a relative term in this room).

Which is why you use smaller tiles for rooms like that.

This is clearly what they were going for, from Pinterest:

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/evren__7/status/1371557745686577152

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

One of the previous owners tiled the ceiling of the bathroom, just ran the same tile on the wall straight up and did the whole ceiling too. The only reason I can guess (besides general derangement) is that they were trying to mitigate condensation/moisture because they did not bother to install a fan when they added a shower to the room. We fixed the fan situation but I'm basically too scared to tackle any of the tile because I know whatever I find will be horrific and tens of thousands of dollars to repair.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Motronic posted:

Sure, per the instructions as i recall and from a skim here: http://pdf.lowes.com/installationguides/4011832035982_install.pdf

You need to use modified thin set under it and unmodified over it. Modified has latex compounds and other things in it that give it different drying and strength characteristics and Schulter says this is the way it must be done. So if you're going to spend all this time and effort (and maybe have a chance at the warranty but whatever) why wouldn't you follow the very specific instructions given to get the durability out of the product you paid extra for to get durability?

If you don't want to deal with all the trouble skip the extra poo poo and just slap down whatever is cheap and easy.

Despite my giant rant against schluter's waterproofing in one of the other random threads here, this has actually changed.

Schluter now allows modified mortar, so long as it is their own. I discussed this with the rep actually, he said it's because they can't control other companies mortars, if they say it works and then change their formula, Schluter would be on the hook for any failures. It makes sense, but is still rather convienent.

I wouldn't use unmodified to set anything larger than a 6x6 tile, so schluter's Allset makes me way more comfortable using the kerdi/ditra system.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'd definitely go full tile off the vanity wall, bury the cuts behind the shitter.
The pattern should have been laid out on the narrow end being centered between the door transition and the opposite wall, eyeballing it you would have ended up with roughly about 3/4 of a tile on each cut and would have been more aesthetically pleasing.

Sirotan posted:

They did a lovely job of cutting the ditra too, and then made absolutely no effort to seal it where the subfloor meets the walls.

If it's just being used as an underlayment and not a waterproofing you don't have to worry about it. You do want to keep the perimeter ungrouted though (if it's visible, just use a caulk joint that is color matched to the grout) to allow the walls and floor to do their own thing as the house expands and contracts.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 16, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AFewBricksShy posted:

Despite my giant rant against schluter's waterproofing in one of the other random threads here, this has actually changed.

Schluter now allows modified mortar, so long as it is their own. I discussed this with the rep actually, he said it's because they can't control other companies mortars, if they say it works and then change their formula, Schluter would be on the hook for any failures. It makes sense, but is still rather convienent.

I wouldn't use unmodified to set anything larger than a 6x6 tile, so schluter's Allset makes me way more comfortable using the kerdi/ditra system.

That makes things a bit easier and yeah.....I'm no tiler but my experience with unmodified has not been good.

It's still not clear why kerdi would be getting used in their particular application other than spending too much time watching their shill Mike Holmes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/siberianpine/status/1372145808221601795

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Would that even really matter? Unless the toilet had a constant leak it doesn't seem like there would be enough flow to even be lukewarm in the upper tank

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Took these myself. There's a resort across the bay from our cottage.

This could use some protection from the elements. At least something to keep the rain from getting in it.

"Hold my beer"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Blistex posted:

"Hold my beer"

well that is bad work for a post-apocalyptic world.
what's that? we don't live in constant fear of starvation and you actually have the time to plan ahead and easy access to resources and experts?
no excuses then.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sentient Data posted:

Would that even really matter? Unless the toilet had a constant leak it doesn't seem like there would be enough flow to even be lukewarm in the upper tank

Stayed at an AirBNB in the Before Times and someone had put in an obviously unpermitted ~*~master suite~*~ on the second floor of the house that included a half bath stuffed into a closet where someone had plumbed the toilet up to the hot water line. I was there in the summer so it was already pretty warm up there, but when you flushed the thing it would make the entire bathroom uncomfortably warm and humid. I guess if you wanna give your rear end a little steam bath it's fine.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

Either way, you'll end up paying for water to be heated that doesn't need to be heated. Depending on local power/gas rates, that can add up.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Blistex posted:

Took these myself. There's a resort across the bay from our cottage.

This could use some protection from the elements. At least something to keep the rain from getting in it.

"Hold my beer"

Neither of them are outdoor-rated panels. Not surprising, considering it looks like regular old NM cable running into them (maybe one UF) and directly buried.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

My ex-father-in-law had a toilet in their house that they plumbed with hot water because "the water would condense on the side of the bowl."

The gently caress, who cares? If that damages your floors you should get better floors FFS.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mycomancy posted:

My ex-father-in-law had a toilet in their house that they plumbed with hot water because "the water would condense on the side of the bowl."

The gently caress, who cares? If that damages your floors you should get better floors FFS.

Yeah, that's not how "better floors" work. I hope that was sarcasm.

It's an actual concern, and there were specific thermostatic mixing valves made that took a hot/cold supply to go to the toilet to deal with this issue before air conditioning (and therefore dehumidification) were common. It's always fun when someone find one of those things and start posting about it because nobody currently in the trades was around when those things were still being produced.

It's like having to explain why switch loops are a thing to someone doing babbys first electrical job in an older home.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I hate this but also love how absolutely ridiculous it is.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Collateral Damage posted:

I hate this but also love how absolutely ridiculous it is.

It was right there on the blueprint! :mad:

edit:

Yes you can come crash in my spare room, Fortunato

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 17, 2021

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sentient Data posted:

There are tankless toilets.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gently caress 3 bedrooms and 1 bath.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Would like to read this rant, got a link?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I may have lived in worse, but if so I washed the experience out of my mind with alcohol.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Sentient Data posted:

Depending on how immediately hot the water is, it may eventually crack the porcelain. I had a mixing valve go bad and back-feed hot water into a commercial wall-hanger water closet and the bowl cracked because it was going from relatively cool ambient to very hot too fast. Might be less of a problem in tank types, but I wouldn't risk it unless it was designed to run hot water.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

We are testing a humidifier at home, since we spend a lot of time there now and the winter air is bone dry. Combine that with a toilet filler valve that sometimes sticks slightly on, and there was so much condensation on the floor we thought something was leaking.

Good Construction: It's a well done vinyl floor, so we just grabbed a squeegee and pulled it to the shower drain.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bedroom 2 does not have a door

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Found on Reddit from someone who just bought this place and was trying to figure out how to "fix this bad design":

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Sirotan posted:

Found on Reddit from someone who just bought this place and was trying to figure out how to "fix this bad design":

A simple curb would do a hell of a lot. Jesus that is a bad design .

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Channeling that Sims architecture.

A Balconey is where you store your processed meat products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Zopotantor posted:

There are tankless toilets.

One of the three stalls at my old work had hot water hooked up to it (tankless).

If no one has used the toilet in a while, it's just like a normal toilet.

If you used it soon after someone, you got the ultimate "ugh, someone's rear end just heated up this seat" feeling, which is not preferable to a normal cold toilet seat.