Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Is that spring really bent or is it just a trick of the camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm the white paint pen on the most assuredly dry rotted tires

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

It's an i4 with the worst carbs in the universe to fit, yeah.

The swingarm and head bearings will be hosed, and the engine mounts and the intake boots and the chain and sprockets and and and.....

Really it comes down to the engine and the carbs - if the engine is noisy or loose or smoky it isn't worth it. If the carbs have been tampered with it isn't worth it.

But really really it's just do you want to spend a whole lot of time and money to have a really knackered zrx, or do you want to spend some time parting it out and dealing with mouth breathers so you can buy a tidy zrx.

That all sounds like a nightmare, and fair points all. Counterpoint- in the USA a tidy ZRX (1100 even) starts at 5k (7000 NZD).

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Slavvy posted:

But really really it's just do you want to spend a whole lot of time and money to have a really knackered zrx, or do you want to spend some time parting it out and dealing with mouth breathers so you can buy a tidy zrx.

Despite everything wrong with it, the engine / trans are fantastic. The paint is hosed but I don't think it's ever been down. I rode it around the block yesterday and it's great but a total deathtrap, the rear brakes are awful (suspect rust and overspray) and fronts leak fluid.

I will part it out but it's seriously making me miss my old 1100.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Is that spring really bent or is it just a trick of the camera?

Yeah, the rear suspension is :dead: check out the other side with the awful exhaust:

Carteret posted:

I'm the white paint pen on the most assuredly dry rotted tires

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

hoho`win posted:

Yeah, the rear suspension is :dead: check out the other side with the awful exhaust:

god what the gently caress happened to that can!? :psypop:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmfao yup it's time to go to the great green burnout pad in the sky.

Renaissance Robot posted:

god what the gently caress happened to that can!? :psypop:

Meth.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's an i4 with the worst carbs in the universe to fit, yeah.

Oh good, I'm glad I wasn't just being whiny about that being a total kick in the dick

hoho`win posted:

Jesus H Christ

mewse
May 2, 2006

hoho`win posted:

Now that it's in the garage I want to fix and ride it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Whats the text on the speedo?

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Supradog posted:

Whats the text on the speedo?

Saddle Up

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

We needed more methed out project bikes in CA to counteract the growing goldwing influence

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

We needed more methed out project bikes in CA to counteract the growing goldwing influence

I'm down for this. Rename the forum to cycle rehab facility/retirement home.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

hoho`win posted:

I picked up a completely knackered ZRX from a friend yesterday for $500 with the intent of parting out. It's a total basket case with a deathtrap cut/lowered suspension, a rattle can painted swingarm with overspray on the chain, and rust inside the tank. Now that it's in the garage I want to fix and ride it.

Huge potential for epic PO fuckery here please take more pics as you break it down. I'm on the it would never be worth it bandwagon, there is 100% bad things lying in wait in that motor and carbs.

Dealbreaker: does it charge the battery

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

So uh what parts on the methrex are still worth seling?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FBS posted:

You'd be surprised, he's got $500 in the tank and plastics alone. Another $250 in the gauges. I don't really know ZRX part prices just speculating.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it have a title? A titled frame is often worth the price of admission by itself

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does it have a title? A titled frame is often worth the price of admission by itself

FBS posted:

Between the frame, plastics, tank, engine, and wheels I've made my money back and then some.

Methrex bonus ignition pic:

hoho`win fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Mar 16, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So much going on in just that one picture, like it crashed into a glass barbecue warehouse.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

𝔖𝔞𝔡𝔡𝔩𝔢 𝔘𝔭

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It was a nice day for a ride to the shop.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
WHERE

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Stirling, Scotland.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Fresh tires on, put everything back together and it all still works, nothing fell off or caught fire. :toot: And I finally got my Illinois plates.

It was a pretty nice day on this side of the pond as well:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

It never dawned on me that Sunoco was SUN Oil COmpany wow. In my defense they don't really exist on the west coast.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

TheBacon posted:

It never dawned on me that Sunoco was SUN Oil COmpany wow. In my defense they don't really exist on the west coast.

It always trips me out to go east in the US and see actual Gulf Oil branded stations, my buddy bought a place in Queens and he's a few blocks from a Gulf Oil station. I know someone just bought the naming rights years ago or something like that, but they have one the best liveries.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

2 more:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The wide one is hands down the best looking harley out right now. That headlight and beefy front wheel can :getin:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

It always trips me out to go east in the US and see actual Gulf Oil branded stations, my buddy bought a place in Queens and he's a few blocks from a Gulf Oil station. I know someone just bought the naming rights years ago or something like that, but they have one the best liveries.

I had no idea they actually existed either, the motorsports livery is all I would ever think about with them too.

Steak, the HD looks good bud!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thank you, Bacon.

What are you riding these days?

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Ahem. It is time for the small ones to emerge from the deep overwinter!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I like the exhaust on your mechanotorcycle.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Also where is the petrol tank?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
madass is fuel in frame iirc, you can see the cap just behind the steering head

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Steakandchips posted:

Thank you, Bacon.

What are you riding these days?

MT09 but I haven’t really gotten out and about for a bit now just due to partially weather partially work/life. Also covid is still uh, not good here which makes me not want to really stop anywhere during a ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Ahem. It is time for the small ones to emerge from the deep overwinter!

Siiiiiick. A madass is on my bike bucket list

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Siiiiiick. A madass is on my bike bucket list

I used to think this then I rode a couple and yeah nah, a ct110 is better.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

I used to think this then I rode a couple and yeah nah, a ct110 is better.

You can buy a racing league worth of MadAss 125’s for what any good condition vintage small Honda costs nowadays. The MadAss engine is a copy of the old global Honda 125 anyway. I don’t know about the 50 though, that seems woefully slow. And that’s coming from a guy with a garage full of mopeds.

Steakandchips posted:

Also where is the petrol tank?

As mentioned above, the fuel is in the upper part of the frame.

I bought this MadAss years ago for like $900 and other than the starter switch making GBS threads the bed, it’s been perfectly reliable and great to ride. My older son rides it more than I do nowadays, and that’s what he learned to ride street bikes on. It could probably use new tires that handle better, but for the whopping 9hp and 58mph top speed on level ground, these have been serving the purpose.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone who hates the madass is a broken individual who has lost the zest for life. Maybe it's horrible to ride and maybe the geometry is weird but uh, look at it? Bucket list bike for sure, and I never tire of seeing yours.

I want to put a zs190 in a madass someday.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't hate them, they just aren't a bike. They're a chinese scooter with a manual box, shaped like a bike, so they are hideously unrefined and terrible in all the small ways like switches, gas cap, brakes etc. The riding position is also really weird and hosed feeling, like a racing bicycle with the seat really high and nowhere to put your legs.

They just aren't anything like the appearance would suggest is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Slavvy posted:

I don't hate them, they just aren't a bike. They're a chinese scooter with a manual box, shaped like a bike, so they are hideously unrefined and terrible in all the small ways like switches, gas cap, brakes etc. The riding position is also really weird and hosed feeling, like a racing bicycle with the seat really high and nowhere to put your legs.

They just aren't anything like the appearance would suggest is all.

I’m not saying the bike as a whole is refined in any way but what’s wrong with the gas cap and brakes? My cap locks solidly and doesn’t leak or rattle which is about all I can ask of it, and the brakes are strong enough to throw you over the bars on a full application of the fronts. They stop the tiny weight of the thing with no issue and surprisingly, plenty of feel. I also don’t think they will ever wear out.

I do agree the riding position is weird, mostly due to the handlebar shape and position, but you get used to it quickly and have fun. The switches also are meh in general, but for a $900 bike that I can ride forever for next to no money, I wouldn’t expect sexy switchgear. When the starter switch shat out, I just started kicking it over. It starts on one kick.

It has been an awesome bike to take to bike nights and stuff; people just gawk and stare at it like it’s an alien. It’s also the perfect bike to teach novices to ride due to its low power, low weight, real manual box and clutch, and surprisingly good low speed handling given how little it costs.

You don’t have to like it, but I love it.

Here’s my boy when he learned to ride it. I think he’s grown a foot since then.