Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CodfishCartographer posted:

Awesome post, thanks! I want to clarify that by saying CSM was a blatant copy of JJK, I wasn't really saying that as a bad thing because CSM uses that expectation and really fucks with the reader cus of it. It definitely hints at where it's going with Denji's boob goal, the mundanity of the setting, and just the overall tone. However the surface-level stuff really makes it come off as a copy, and I think most readers will just think it's a copy that has a weird tone. The first few arcs really try to sell this to you, too. Here's a wacky group of characters, with a few waifu candidates too! Oh man this eyepatch girl likes top-knot, I wonder if they'll get together! It really works hard to get you into the Shonen manga groove, then she loving dies and half the "cast" dies or leaves the story wholesale. The attack on the train is what really "starts" CSM in my opinion, everything else before that point is solely setting up for that moment.
The thing I liked about CSM moreso than the "lol, this is crazy- ol Fujimoto!!" stuff everyone likes is how a lot of the deaths are handled.

Denji killing Aki is probably the saddest thing I've seen in a jump manga for years, and it from the same series that deals with death in a fairly casual manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Roboco's selling pretty well for a gag manga, which probably secures its future. High School Family and Magu-Chan aren't so lucky, but gag mangas have low expectations, so they're probably not top of the chopping block.

Mashle's a bit of a breakout hit right now. It's big with middle aged women, and selling the best numbers of the non-established serieses, although it's still not up there with the utterly insane numbers Kaiju 8 is getting. (500K a volume by volume 2 is an astonishing start. Between Kaiju, Spy, and Chainsaw Man part 2, Jump Plus has some very high profile hits.)

Finally, Phantom Seer is... weird. It's getting pretty solid numbers for current jump (not Mashle or anything, but it's regularly selling out), but it's not getting promotions like Undead Unluck or Masle, and it's constantly at the back of the magazine. Some people are conspiracy mongering about Jump editorial wanting to kill it, for one reason or another, but whatever the truth is, it feels weird.

Honestly I don't Magu chan to hold on for long. But I hope it will get a good and wholesome ending like this manga deserves.

Also lol, middle aged women and poster on dead forums love Mashle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

Awesome post, thanks! I want to clarify that by saying CSM was a blatant copy of JJK, I wasn't really saying that as a bad thing because CSM uses that expectation and really fucks with the reader cus of it. It definitely hints at where it's going with Denji's boob goal, the mundanity of the setting, and just the overall tone. However the surface-level stuff really makes it come off as a copy, and I think most readers will just think it's a copy that has a weird tone. The first few arcs really try to sell this to you, too. Here's a wacky group of characters, with a few waifu candidates too! Oh man this eyepatch girl likes top-knot, I wonder if they'll get together! It really works hard to get you into the Shonen manga groove, then she loving dies and half the "cast" dies or leaves the story wholesale. The attack on the train is what really "starts" CSM in my opinion, everything else before that point is solely setting up for that moment.

That's fair.

One thing that makes the whole bit work even better for me is how freely Chainsaw Man shows its hand there.

It's constantly emphasized that Devil Hunters don't tend to last long. Aki and Himeno talk about how every rookie Aki trained before Denji has died or quit, she's got a long list of former buddies, the bar visit has one of the other Devil Hunters casually mention that their team's rookie died since Himeno last saw them. Dying fast is the default.

But we know the genre. Even Attack on Titan is mostly lethal to background characters, with 'lethality' being a thing to hype the reader up more than to have an impact on the story. The leads are bulletproof.

...Except they're not. Himeno and Arai die the very next day after the get-together, and suddenly it's clear that this whole "Devil Hunting is a sucker's game" thing isn't just for show.

Similarly, we get Aki's doom foreshadowed a mile away, but the genre says that people can break fate, that this isn't going to happen like we were promised... except the genre is wrong, and the Future is Best.

Chainsaw Man is what it is from the start (unlike Jujutsu, which feels like it takes a little more time to rev up). It just takes a while to realize that what you see is what you get.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

Chainsaw Man is what it is from the start (unlike Jujutsu, which feels like it takes a little more time to rev up). It just takes a while to realize that what you see is what you get.

Yeah definitely, shonen as a genre has you kind of shrug off all the warnings, but then CSM is like "no, they're being honest here"

Also mostly unrelated, but I really like how drat near HALF of JJK has been the Shibuya fight and the immediate aftermath of it. It feels like the first half of the manga is entirely setup for the second half. It's a really unique setup for a shonen manga. I kind of hope that this is just like, the rest of the story, and that it wraps up kind of soon so that it literally is "the first half of the series is just there to set up for the huge-rear end battle of the second half"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the jjk author did say that he thinks the series has about 2 years left in it. you never know with that kind of take but it doesn't seem like jjk is intended to be a one piece level perma run series

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Does anyone even want to work on a perma series anymore? It seems like such a monumental undertaking.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does anyone even want to work on a perma series anymore? It seems like such a monumental undertaking.

Considering how brutal the industry can be I'm sure most manga authors wouldn't say no to a guaranteed paycheck for the next 20+ years.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Good point

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Jujutsu Kaisen may get lengthened. As it's getting super popular now, and Jump may not want to lose it in two years, just after Demon Slayer sold 130 million volumes, and is the Highest Grossing Movie ever in Japan, but was already in it's final arc when it exploded.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Jagged Jim posted:

Considering how brutal the industry can be I'm sure most manga authors wouldn't say no to a guaranteed paycheck for the next 20+ years.

Is it garanteed though? Sales of WSJ are on the downswing and more and more of Jump’s bigger titles are coming from the plus side of things.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Manga authors dont make much unless they get a mega hit. A big perma series takes them from scraping by to multi-millionaire. Even if the author doesnt enjoy doing it it's just too rewarding to not do if you get the chance.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently a Mangadex admin account got hacked and now the site is being DDOSed. Oops. Might be a manual shutdown instead of a DDOS to prevent the Admin account from screwing up anything.

EDIT: And now it has come out that Mangadex' "savings" are in Crypto...

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 17, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RatHat posted:

Apparently a Mangadex admin account got hacked and now the site is being DDOSed. Oops. Might be a manual shutdown instead of a DDOS to prevent the Admin account from screwing up anything.

EDIT: And now it has come out that Mangadex' "savings" are in Crypto...

Sounds like it’s time for another new site?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Every time I've checked they exclusively take donations in crypto so that's not very surprising.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sindai posted:

Every time I've checked they exclusively take donations in crypto so that's not very surprising.

What a solid business plan.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Mangadex is back up, and they've got a statement about what happened(linking to Reddit because the actual site is iffy right now).

As for what you need to know,

quote:

Tl;dr: database from about 4 months ago was compromised. Passwords were encrypted hashed and salted (ie should be totally secure, thanks for the clarification), but should still be changed especially on accounts with the same password.

"email addresses, creation and last connection IPs, backup 2FA codes, RSS keys, follows, comments, DMs, etc. " are all likely to be sold or released publicly at some point.

The site is back up and will resume operations as normal, with the security flaw fixed. Everybody was logged out, and 2FA will have to be set up all over again.

Hope you didn't use a work email for Mangadex

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

RatHat posted:

Mangadex is back up, and they've got a statement about what happened(linking to Reddit because the actual site is iffy right now).

As for what you need to know,

Hope you didn't use a work email for Mangadex

I use an ancient dead drop email from Yahoo so nothing of value.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I really should just use a second personal email at this point for my more important poo poo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Zerilan posted:

I really should just use a second personal email at this point for my more important poo poo.
Eh, I got 2FA set up for the primary two personal emails I have. If you use almost any mainstream site you've probably had your email address exposed and sold off.

I use a password manager though so I don't share passwords between sites.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fabricated posted:

Eh, I got 2FA set up for the primary two personal emails I have. If you use almost any mainstream site you've probably had your email address exposed and sold off.

I use a password manager though so I don't share passwords between sites.

Yeah, this. They can have my e-mail if they like, every account has a separate password and 2FA, so I'm probably fine. (Not saying 100% because computers, nothing is really completely safe when it comes to this kind of stuff.)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I've gotten to the Gaara Rescue arc in my Naruto re-read. Miscellaneous thoughts:

• Itachi's true motivations are actually foreshadowed remarkably well; the way a lot of fans at the time called it a bullshit retcon was pretty silly. Even Sasuke reflects quite early on that Itachi probably kept him alive because he wanted Sasuke to kill him on some level, and then we get the flashback in the Sasuke Retrieval arc with a lot of hints that the growing rift between Itachi and the rest of the Uchiha was connected with some sort of rift between the Uchiha and the rest of Leaf. That said, I can see why it rubbed people the wrong way; while I haven't gotten to this point on the re-read, I remember the other characters viewing Itachi in a little too positive a light for someone who tortured a child into devoting his life to obsessive hatred.
  • The Rasengan training arc drags a bit, though I can see why Kishimoto thought it was necessary, since it was different enough from the rest of Naruto's jutsu at that point that it made sense to establish him "earning" it. The fight against Orochimaru and Kabuto that follows is cool, though.
  • Speaking of Orochimaru, it seemed to be pretty heavily implied that he was a pedophile early on; his dialogue with Anko in the Forest of Death in particular is pretty uncomfortable. It feels like the series just sort of dropped this angle, probably wisely.
  • I think the biggest writing flaw in Part I might be that the time skip just happens too early. The anime, of course, overcompensates for this with filler arcs, but even in the anime, Team 7 doesn't go on very many missions together before Sasuke defects. In a sense an early time skip was necessary to make Sakura less weak, but that's just one writing flaw trying to address another writing flaw; Sakura could have just learned some genjutsu in the one-month gap before the Chunin Exam finals.
  • The Sasuke Retrieval arc is solid, but not quite on the level of the Chunin Exams. Several of the fights have a somewhat Bleach-like structure to them (whoever uses their full power first loses, basically) that both earlier and later Naruto fights generally avoid using so overtly, but there's some cleverness too.
  • Both Naruto vs. Sasuke fight and Sasori vs. Sakura and Chiyo go on pretty long, though I think the latter, at least, is cool enough to mostly justify it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
naruto and sasuke did one real mission, a few miscellaneous chores, and two exams together. one or both of them were unconscious for most of the second exam, even. that is pretty much all of their contact prior to sasuke loving off and naruto becoming disturbingly obsessed with a casual acquaintance. sakura spent far more time with sasuke, but almost all of that was while he was in a coma so i wouldn't really call it a close relationship.

kishimoto made some very peculiar choices.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

naruto and sasuke did one real mission, a few miscellaneous chores, and two exams together. one or both of them were unconscious for most of the second exam, even. that is pretty much all of their contact prior to sasuke loving off and naruto becoming disturbingly obsessed with a casual acquaintance. sakura spent far more time with sasuke, but almost all of that was while he was in a coma so i wouldn't really call it a close relationship.

In his defense, the chuunin exam was actually an imposition from the editors. He wanted to take it slower with a series of arcs in other villages, but his editors wanted him to do a tournament.

I do think he takes the blame for basing all of his character development of Sakura on her popularity polls. He pretty much admitted in interviews that he kinda dropped her because she was unpopular, and that really sucks for one of the main characters!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's a very shonen thing to form a potentially unhealthy bond with someone you're only really acquainted with. See Gon from HxH killing himself over a man he only really knew for a week max including his early childhood.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

In his defense, the chuunin exam was actually an imposition from the editors. He wanted to take it slower with a series of arcs in other villages, but his editors wanted him to do a tournament.

I do think he takes the blame for basing all of his character development of Sakura on her popularity polls. He pretty much admitted in interviews that he kinda dropped her because she was unpopular, and that really sucks for one of the main characters!

Lol that Kishimoto wanted to follow up what’s generally considered his best arc with more of that but his editors got him to do a tournament arc that introduced like one goodass character that got to keep being good. I guess how he implemented them was on him though but still.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Jump shooting its foot? The hell you say!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, I like the Chuunin exam and it was generally well-received, but there was a pretty funny interview where Kishimoto was like "I didn't want to do a tournament but my editors told me to do one. Then I got into it, but the editors told me to do the Konoha Crush instead of letting me end it properly."

Source: https://naruto.fandom.com/f/p/2421257698017422741

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto faces his touches challenge yet in Sakamoto Days
Viz:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/sakamoto-days-chapter-16/chapter/22232?action=read
Mangaplus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008995

Learning about personal space in Roboco
Viz:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/me-and-roboco-chapter-34/chapter/22226?action=read
Mangaplus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008975

Victory in Mashle
Viz:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/mashle-chapter-55/chapter/22225?action=read
Mangaplus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008955

I really like the main joke in Witch Watch
Viz:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/witch-watch-chapter-7/chapter/22234?action=read
Mangaplus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009008

Zonze trying to get closer to Magu-chan
Viz:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/magu-chan-god-of-destruction-chapter-36/chapter/22223?action=read
Mangaplus:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1008965

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

No joke, I laughed at Witch Watch out loud. It was funny. Magic is so useful.

Roboco was pretty meh. Not quite heartwarming, not quite funny.

Mashle was great and I have little doubt it’s going to be great next chapter.

Sakamoto was good. Those grannies cracked me up.

Undead Unluck. Can someone explain unjustice to me? I don’t understand it at all, possibly because I missed a bunch of chapter when I wasn’t reading it.
Pretty metal chapter otherwise.

9 dragon balls is still focused on being exactly what you expect a sports manga to be.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

Roboco was pretty meh. Not quite heartwarming, not quite funny.

Mashle was great and I have little doubt it’s going to be great next chapter.

Sakamoto was good. Those grannies cracked me up.

Undead Unluck. Can someone explain unjustice to me? I don’t understand it at all, possibly because I missed a bunch of chapter when I wasn’t reading it.
Pretty metal chapter otherwise.

9 dragon balls is still focused on being exactly what you expect a sports manga to be.

Unjustice works by forcing someone to do the "opposite" of what their justice is. This is kind of a wibbly wobbly concept if you think about it too hard, but ultimately it means they'll do the opposite of what they think is right, or will force them to commit what they perceive as injustices. Since this caused Billy to attack Juiz, I'm guessing it meant he didn't really want to kill her. Although then he seemed like he was about to finish her off, so I dunno if that was still the unjustice effecting him or not.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
With regards to Undead Unluck, I think it’s a simpler explanation: Billy doesn’t have a sense of justices about what he’s doing, he doesn’t really think what he’s doing is right or wrong. He’s either doing it for revenge or he’s pragmatic.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

The last page looks like a set-up for the inevitable transition to battle manga...

Anyway, this week's rankings (MHA and Yozakura Family have color pages and thus are not ranked this week; Witch Watch and Ball Parade still aren't ranked yet):

1. Jujutsu Kaisen
2. Elusive Samurai
3. Dr. Stone
4. Black Clover
5. High School Family (!)
6. Undead Unluck
7. Sakamoto Days
8. Me & Roboco
9. I Tell C (ranked for the first time)
10. Mashle
11. Magu-chan: God of Destruction
12. Hardboiled Cop and Dolphin
13. Ayakashi Triangle
14. Phantom Seer
15. Build King

Taken from here; annoyingly, this guy leaves the series names untranslated: https://www.reddit.com/r/MangaRanking/comments/m9c2bm/weekly_shonen_jump_ranking_16_march_21_2021/

What happened to High School Family that made people suddenly start liking it? Good to see Elusive Samurai doing well, at least. Phantom Seer and Build King are still doing terribly.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jump's rankings weren't publicly available and that the ToC doesn't necessarily match them?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tell c :cheerdoge:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Jump's rankings weren't publicly available and that the ToC doesn't necessarily match them?

I think it's that volume sales are much more important than rankings/the ToC

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Hmm. Looking this up, it's surprisingly hard to find a reliable source that clearly explains how the rankings work.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Silver2195 posted:

Hmm. Looking this up, it's surprisingly hard to find a reliable source that clearly explains how the rankings work.

Dunno about rankings, but as far as I can tell, ToC does have SOME bearing on popularity as the most popular series almost always show up towards the front (to catch the eyes of people flipping through), but it's not a 1:1 ratio or anything. The #9 manga isn't necessarily more popular / a better seller / have a better chance of surviving than the #10 manga, for example.

How it's actually determined though is purely just one dude who decides the order of things each issue, and his methodology is his and his alone.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Anyway, finally read Sakamoto Days and it was another incredible chapter. Love how quickly it can switch from drama to borderline battle manga to comedy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

PringleCreamEgg posted:

With regards to Undead Unluck, I think it’s a simpler explanation: Billy doesn’t have a sense of justices about what he’s doing, he doesn’t really think what he’s doing is right or wrong. He’s either doing it for revenge or he’s pragmatic.

That’s how it worked with the aliens. The leader alien did not attack himself or his allies cause he did not actually believe in the cause he was spouting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Elusive Samurai has been getting more and more interesting. I feel like it's making a case for itself even if it hasn't yet had its shining moment.