Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Oh cool, looks similar to the Back to the Future steelbook set.

I think it's getting three different releases? Or two? Like how LotR got a steelbook set, a single-case set, and then a four case plastic set? That's my best guess, since there are three different designs for it, as of now.

Iron Crowned posted:

I see your edit there :argh:

No you didn't! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I can already see that indy set being The Mummy UHD set all over again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

I can already see that indy set being The Mummy UHD set all over again.

Yea that's exactly what my concern was. Although I've been lucky with my Mummy set so far, no major issues.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What's supposed to be wrong with the Mummy?

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Franchescanado posted:

This pic of the set was also posted:

Individual steel books.

I like how the good films has him actively whipping things and the bad films have him just holding the whip at his side.

Finally, I'll never forget which films to watch again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cemetry Gator posted:

I like how the good films has him actively whipping things and the bad films have him just holding the whip at his side.

Finally, I'll never forget which films to watch again.

That doesn't make sense, Temple of Doom has...

...waitaminute!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

What's supposed to be wrong with the Mummy?

The cardboard sleeves are too tight, so when you take the discs in and out they're very likely to scratch. Making matters even worse, once the discs actually do go into the sleeves they actually get jostled around in there pretty easily so a lot of people's discs were already pre-scratched by the time they got the set delivered to them.

It's like the worst possible combination of tough to get the disc into the sleeve but once it's in there it has room to float around and get all scratched up.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
My Fast & Furious set did something similar to my Fast 5 :(

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
So does UHD blu-ray lose the seemingly impenetrable coating that regular blu-ray had?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

So does UHD blu-ray lose the seemingly impenetrable coating that regular blu-ray had?

It seems to be somewhere in between DVD and blu ray. Not as easy to ruin a disc as it was with DVDs but not the same level of protection that blu rays have.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

yool 2021 and they still haven't loving figured out how to properly hold discs in cases.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

It seems to be somewhere in between DVD and blu ray. Not as easy to ruin a disc as it was with DVDs but not the same level of protection that blu rays have.

If I were to wager a guess, it's the same coating but UHD likely spins at a higher rate than a standard Bluray, so it wears out quicker.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Against all odds WW84 is getting a US 3D release. I preordered it and it won't even be close to the worst movie I've bought in 3d lol. I can't believe anything got a 3d home release in 2021. Wish tvs would start being released with 3d again.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spacebump posted:

Against all odds WW84 is getting a US 3D release. I preordered it and it won't even be close to the worst movie I've bought in 3d lol. I can't believe anything got a 3d home release in 2021. Wish tvs would start being released with 3d again.

Friday the 13th Part 3D technically got a new 3D release with the F13 box set last year. I was gonna watch it on my parent's 3D TV, but they haven't used the 3D format in so long, they only had one working pair of glasses, and the battery was dead.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I, Butthole posted:

sorry but y'all are just pawns in the game to make CPL have a violent reaction to the word "vinyls"

I'm going to need a giant get out frog that spits smaller get out frogs for all these posts.

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been 13 years, I'm curious to see how Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has aged

That movie was already dated when it came out.

Spatulater bro! posted:

yool 2021 and they still haven't loving figured out how to properly hold discs in cases.

I'd be shocked if this was for any other reason than it's cheaper to make a paper thing the discs slide in and out of.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been 13 years, I'm curious to see how Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has aged

I’ve always been curious about the emergence of a Prequel-style appreciation for Indy 4. I’d love to read someone’s revisionist takes on the film. Realistically, I don’t think even kids were that into it upon release.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CPL593H posted:

That movie was already dated when it came out.

Yep. I thought "that looks like poo poo" multiple times in the theater.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’ve always been curious about the emergence of a Prequel-style appreciation for Indy 4. I’d love to read someone’s revisionist takes on the film. Realistically, I don’t think even kids were that into it upon release.

I’m a big Indy fan and I was pretty ambivalent about it when it came out, but I’ve softened on it over the years and now I find more in it to enjoy than hate. Yeah, Mutt sucks, almost every single Mutt thing sucks and it does drag the film down in parts. But the opening bit is solid (until the rocket sled) and the campus chase is great. Marion relationship weirdness aside, it’s nice to see Karen Allen in an Indy movie again. John Hurt and Ray Winstone turn in fun performances and Cate Blanchett is just devouring scenery. I dunno, I just don’t really think it deserves the amount of scorn still heaped upon it by the internet 13 years on and most of it has to originate with the admittedly stupid fridge nuking that turned into a meme afterward.

I also think part of it was just people expecting a 4th 30’s adventure serial when Lucas was trying to make a 50’s b-movie instead. They should have just given it the title of their original proposed 90s film, Indiana Jones and The Saucermen from Mars. It’s goofy as poo poo but it gets the “this is a b-movie!” point across a lot clearer.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I just finished my freshman year of high school and we all saw it and liked it i guess, but id wager no one has talked about it since because its a really boring and ugly movie.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

the two times I've sat through 4 I was blindingly drunk. I feel like I got the experience the movie intended.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I just finished my freshman year of high school and we all saw it and liked it i guess, but id wager no one has talked about it since because its a really boring and ugly movie.

It's this. The sense of adventure from the previous films just isn't there and the movie is utterly hideous.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

It's this. The sense of adventure from the previous films just isn't there and the movie is utterly hideous.

The fun repartee between characters is also replaced by constant bickering, and it is grating.

mem
Sep 1, 2005
The only 4k discs I've had problems with are both steel cases. The Meg and Wonder Woman (both Warner Bros). The Meg is unplayable (skips and halts starting from very early in the movie), disc doesn't look damaged either. I've tried the disc in both an xbox one and my ub820. Wonder Woman starts skipping bad around the time she trucks the church building, again no noticable damage to the disc.

I normally don't do steel books but I think both of those were Christmas presents or something.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

mem posted:

The only 4k discs I've had problems with are both steel cases. The Meg and Wonder Woman (both Warner Bros). The Meg is unplayable (skips and halts starting from very early in the movie), disc doesn't look damaged either. I've tried the disc in both an xbox one and my ub820. Wonder Woman starts skipping bad around the time she trucks the church building, again no noticable damage to the disc.

I normally don't do steel books but I think both of those were Christmas presents or something.

You're not missing out on much.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Indy 4 is bad. It has some really interesting things going on from a surface level because it had a lot of interesting ideas added from interesting writers over the years in its various incarnations. On paper the bullet points are great, because Lucas nailed the ways in which Indy should evolve over the decades. But it's a terrible empty soulless film with nothing under the hood and it's at the end of the day a product. It has moments of "Huh, this is kinda fun!" like the campus chase, but even those are more about what it's trying for rather than what it is.

Read the unproduced Saucermen from Mars or City of the Gods to get a much better sense of what could have been. Neither are great, but they are first drafts with so much potential.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Cloks posted:

You're not missing out on much.

Yeah those movies aren't great but kind of scary that two newer movies exhibit issues like that. I take care of my things too. It ain't like we have watched those a ton either. I'm hoping WB just had some bad prints or something.

I can't recall any of my dvds or blurays going bad.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The Droids theme was written by the drummer from The Police, so maybe it’s a rights issue.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
I'm one of those weirdos who likes Crystal fine (it's okay, not great) and doesn't care for Last Crusade at all. Connery is good though. I guess it's because I didn't see the movies when I was young so I never took them in the same way a lot of other people did.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I also think part of it was just people expecting a 4th 30’s adventure serial when Lucas was trying to make a 50’s b-movie instead. They should have just given it the title of their original proposed 90s film, Indiana Jones and The Saucermen from Mars. It’s goofy as poo poo but it gets the “this is a b-movie!” point across a lot clearer.
Indy 5 should by rights be set in the early 70s. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Funk.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The coolest idea Lucas had for Crystal Skull was to shift the era of pulpy fiction they were riffing on to match the decade. So the next Indy movie should be Indiana Jones and the Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

The coolest idea Lucas had for Crystal Skull was to shift the era of pulpy fiction they were riffing on to match the decade. So the next Indy movie should be Indiana Jones and the Master of the Flying Guillotine.

Yea I never understood the complaints about the alien plotline, it felt totally appropriate for them to take it in that direction. The flaws of the movie have nothing to do with that.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Amazing: Raiders
Really drat good: Last Crusade
Not that bad: Crystal Skull
loving terrible: Temple of Doom

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I think Temple is a movie that requires childhood nostalgia. If I saw it first as a teen or adult I'd likely despise it.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
ToD is a few trims away from being Really Good. Cut some of the tedious comedic relief, cut some of the more overt racism, and you've got yourself a fun time at the movies.

Of course, that would still leave you with the two core problems of the script: the racist premise (or at least, the execution of that premise), and Willie intentionally being written as obnoxious. So I can't fault anyone for not digging it, but I think it gets so much right that I can have a fun time watching it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like everything in Temple except the lady. And even she's okay in some of it.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
Temple of Doom has the nightclub scene and the mine-car chase, both of which are much better than anything in Crystal Skull.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Rascar Capac posted:

Temple of Doom has the nightclub scene and the mine-car chase, both of which are much better than anything in Crystal Skull.
Temple: build a real mine car track that runs around the studio like a roller coaster.
Skull: put jeeps on air movers and half-heartedly glide them around in front of a greenscreen.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Payndz posted:

Temple: build a real mine car track that runs around the studio like a roller coaster.
Skull: put jeeps on air movers and half-heartedly glide them around in front of a greenscreen.

Crystal Skull is basically what the worst case scenario of digital backlot is. It's the nightmares of every single person who has ever yelled about the difference between practical and CGI made manifest.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also Crystal Skull would have been 10,000x cooler if instead of a bunch of tiny CGI ants there were 3 giant animatronic THEM! ants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Also Crystal Skull would have been 10,000x cooler if instead of a bunch of tiny CGI ants there were 3 giant animatronic THEM! ants.

Every movie would be cooler with three giant animatronic THEM! ants.