Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Why did lcd monitors jump from 60hz to 144hz refresh rate instead of 120 like televisions seem to be doing? 144 is such a weird and specific number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Qubee posted:

Why does the Maillard reaction occur much more readily on a stainless steel / cast iron pan, compared to on a nonstick pan? I just made some smashburgers, and the crust that formed when I used a stainless steel pan was a thing of beauty. I threw a patty on the nonstick pan just to see if it would turn out the same and, no dice. Even with the same heat and pan thickness, the one on the nonstick pan had a pitiful crust whilst the one I made in the stainless steel was crispy. To disprove the "stainless steel pan probably has more heat capacity because it's thicker" the stainless steel pan I used was the exact same as my nonstick one, except the nonstick had been scrubbed off over years of use.

Did you use the same amount of fat? Neither your food nor you pan are even, so cooking on a dry pan leaves an air gap between the food an the surface of your pan.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

Why did lcd monitors jump from 60hz to 144hz refresh rate instead of 120 like televisions seem to be doing? 144 is such a weird and specific number.
Multiples of 24 make some sense, as traditional film/tv has been 24fps for ages. So that's why 144 instead of 138 or whatever, but why 144 instead of 120 I dunno.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My theory:

1. One company comes out with monitor with that refresh rate because it’s as hard as they can push the hardware.

2. It’s a commercial success.

3. All the other brands have to match it.

4. Now it’s the new standard.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Platystemon posted:

My theory:

1. One company comes out with monitor with that refresh rate because it’s as hard as they can push the hardware.

2. It’s a commercial success.

3. All the other brands have to match it.

4. Now it’s the new standard.

Well that's boring which means it's probably right

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008
Single Link DVI cabling is limited to 144hz refresh rate at 1080p, so it's been a common limit for DVI and older revisions of HDMI and DisplayPort, which are all based on DVI. Now couple that up with the fact that a much smaller number of companies actually manufacture the panels themselves, and it's easy to see why tons of 1080p/144hz panels are available to the various manufacturers.

Thus, you end up with
1) The lowest-end of the product line
2) A ton of 1080p/144hz monitors in a pricing/size sweet spot
3) Premium stuff like higher res/larger monitors and the like.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Manager Hoyden posted:

As well as other people said, I'm not sure where you're looking but there was a shitload of 120Hz monitors out about 5 years ago.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Motronic posted:

You seem to be confused about statement dates and due dates.

The statement cycle closes long before the due date. So a statement cycle closes and no payment is due for that last month of spending for.....a couple of weeks or so.....

I'm not sure what exactly you are concerned about past that. But it might even involve other things like pending transactions.

I think you need to describe the problem better.

Thanks, looks like I was confusing balance with minimum payment, which is a moment of supreme stupidity, considering I'd already established this exact thing once before but then apparently forgot.
Thanks to the other 2 responses also, don't really know how to quote 3 different posts at once.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

don't really know how to quote 3 different posts at once.

You can manually type quote tags like [quote]blah[/quote] or [quote="user"]blah[/quote] or [quote="user" post="123456789"]blah[/quote], but I usually just open the quote links in a new tab and paste them into the main post I'm making.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When composing a new post, you can scroll down to find the thread, and there's a button to add a quoted post to the post you're composing.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Big news in football is a great QB has received allegations of sexual assault and solicitation.

Can phone companies get copies of text messages that have been deleted?

Like if Bob sexually solicits Bill via text, then Bill rejects the offer, then Bob pays Bill some amount of money to delete the text messages...

Are those texts gone forever?

What if it was over something like Snapchat or Signal?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Text messages are usually saved as data files on a phone’s SIM card, so if one party wants to produce them and still has the phone and SIM card, there’s that.

Other than that, this is still the state of affairs with US cellular providers, as far as I know.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Did you use the same amount of fat? Neither your food nor you pan are even, so cooking on a dry pan leaves an air gap between the food an the surface of your pan.

With smashburgers, you let the fat from the burger itself grease the pan. They were both equal sized balls before I squished them down flat. I just thought it was interesting, seeing as it's the same exact make and model of nonstick pan, except one has been wirebrushed so clean that the nonstick coating isn't even there anymore. Wirebrushed pan = amazing Maillard reaction. Nonstick pan was just kinda eh.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is Imgur the only image website you can post from without getting hotlinking probes?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

When was the last time you saw a hotlinking probe?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

When composing a new post, you can scroll down to find the thread, and there's a button to add a quoted post to the post you're composing.

The SALR extension (Something Awful Last Read,) has the ability to preview your post before you make it, and adding multiple quotes to a post by just clicking the quote button as you scroll as well.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Edit: wrong loving forum sorry

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 17, 2021

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grouchio posted:

Is Imgur the only image website you can post from without getting hotlinking probes?

Bandwidth is cheap and plentiful these days as well as the forums being a lot smaller. You can hotlink from everywhere. Some sites (although vanishingly few) still have hotlink redirects so images won't show up. Feel free to post from basically where ever.

The days of a goon rush bankrupting an indie site owner are long gone.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Can anyone comment on the safety of PayPal for personal transactions online? I'm selling a piece of electronics and someone in another city is pretty keen on buying it, and wants to use PP. I've never used it for personal transactions before and I'm a bit worried about being scammed, for example I see the transaction go through and ship the item and then it's cancelled before I can retrieve my funds. is this a thing? Thanks for your time!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

AlbieQuirky posted:

Text messages are usually saved as data files on a phone’s SIM card, so if one party wants to produce them and still has the phone and SIM card, there’s that.
this was true in the '90s, but NAND flash is cheap now and phones store SMS/MMS on their internal storage. "gone forever" depends on how they were stored, if the carrier has them saved on their end, and how much time and effort you want to spend recovering data from sectors marked as free, assuming they haven't already been overwritten. signal doesn't send SMS/MMS, and the messages are end-to-end encrypted, so the best a carrier could tell you is that the phone communicated with a signal server at a given time, and they won't even know that if it were done over wifi

e: https://news.law.fordham.edu/jcfl/2016/06/02/cell-phone-forensics-powerful-tools-wielded-by-federal-investigators/

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 17, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Because text messages are so small and storage is so cheap, if the network operators or the government want to archive all text messages ever sent, for all time, they can.

If everyone in the U.S. sent ten messages per day, you’re looking at one hundred and seventy terabytes to store them, per year. That’s nothing. There are goons with that much storage.

Now, as to whether it’s policy to store all messages that come across the wire, that’s a corporate and national secret. :nsa:

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Does SA have a general world history thread?

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Big news in football is a great QB has received allegations of sexual assault and solicitation.

Can phone companies get copies of text messages that have been deleted?

Like if Bob sexually solicits Bill via text, then Bill rejects the offer, then Bob pays Bill some amount of money to delete the text messages...

Are those texts gone forever?

What if it was over something like Snapchat or Signal?

The NSA absolutely has a copy of an SMS text message. They however won't publicly release it as part of evidence for anything as mundane as some football star in the news.

E2E encrypted messages you're a bit safer in it being gone for good, if neither party has chosen to save a copy.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 17, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Can anyone comment on the safety of PayPal for personal transactions online? I'm selling a piece of electronics and someone in another city is pretty keen on buying it, and wants to use PP. I've never used it for personal transactions before and I'm a bit worried about being scammed, for example I see the transaction go through and ship the item and then it's cancelled before I can retrieve my funds. is this a thing? Thanks for your time!

If the money gets sent as a business transaction instead of a personal transaction then Paypal will take a cut but you'll get their suite of fraud protections. But I think the buyer is the one that has to do that since they're most at risk.

Once the funds hit your Paypal account you should be able to "cash them out" to your bank account right away.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

ultrafilter posted:

When was the last time you saw a hotlinking probe?
My own, back when I first joined around Sept 2014.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Qubee posted:

With smashburgers, you let the fat from the burger itself grease the pan. They were both equal sized balls before I squished them down flat. I just thought it was interesting, seeing as it's the same exact make and model of nonstick pan, except one has been wirebrushed so clean that the nonstick coating isn't even there anymore. Wirebrushed pan = amazing Maillard reaction. Nonstick pan was just kinda eh.

It could either be that the metal is somehow catalysing the reaction or simply because stainless steel has much greater thermal conductivity than teflon, (16...24 W·m−1·K−1 vs. 0.250 W·m−1·K−1) so the surface in contact with the burger stays hotter. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I use nonstick pans rarely, like when I help out in someone else’s kitchen. I have noticed worse browning than at home, but I have always assumed it was my fault due to unfamiliarity with the stove and pan. Maybe there is something to this nonstick business, though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Isn't it just that in non-stick pans, the non-stick stuff is somewhat of an insulator so it doesn't transfer the heat properly?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

On a walk yesterday I noticed that at least like 3/4 of the cars I saw parked or driving down my street were either white, silver, black, or grey blue.

Are the colors cars are available in more limited now than they used to be? I haven’t gone shopping for a car since 2009 (and even then I got a white one).

These are considered neutral colors, and are easier to resell.

I know that red cars are more expensive to insure. Red and blue are both popular colors where I live, even for mini cars and SUVs.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It could either be that the metal is somehow catalysing the reaction or simply because stainless steel has much greater thermal conductivity than teflon, (16...24 W·m−1·K−1 vs. 0.250 W·m−1·K−1) so the surface in contact with the burger stays hotter. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Close, staying hotter would be a higher specific heat capacity, not conductivity. However, you're right that thermal conductivity is the reason that the stainless gets better browning than the non-stick - with higher thermal conductivity the surface of the food gets hotter faster, and might even get to a higher max temp if the nonstick isn't able to transfer heat into the food quickly enough to overcome the dissipation of that energy into the bulk of the food.

Stainless steel is almost definitely not catalyzing any reactions. It has a very inert surface oxide layer that doesn't react with much other than acids, and even then plenty of weak acids won't touch it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I know that red cars are more expensive to insure.
does it count as "knowing" something if it's false?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I know that red cars are more expensive to insure.

That's 100% incorrect and has always been.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Stainless steel is almost definitely not catalyzing any reactions. It has a very inert surface oxide layer that doesn't react with much other than acids, and even then plenty of weak acids won't touch it.
It's resistant to oxidation yes, but stainless steel will definitely react with proteins. It's why you have to scrape egg off a dry stainless pan.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It's resistant to oxidation yes, but stainless steel will definitely react with proteins. It's why you have to scrape egg off a dry stainless pan.

Huh, interesting, can you tell me where you read about that interaction? I don't usually deal with organic stuff on a technical level other than bird strikes, and I'm not so concerned with protein reactions in that situation. I'm genuinely curious, I don't doubt that could be the case, I just have never heard of it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If I have a cat whose been scratching his face and inner ears silly once every few days (for the last couple months), how do I know if it's protein allergies or mange/scabies? I'm starting to think its facial mange. My dad wants to avoid calling a vet if he can afford getting commercial medicine instead.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Could be mites. Are there little black specs, like bits of dirt, in his ear?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

regulargonzalez posted:

Could be mites. Are there little black specs, like bits of dirt, in his ear?
Yes. No damage to his ear flaps. At least twice a week I have to wipe the blood off his brows or muzzle. Half of his whiskers are gone.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I need to find some specifically "wet or dry" sandpaper, and most of what I can find is labeled either dry sandpaper or wet sandpaper. Is wet sandpaper also "wet or dry"? I'm worried about the adhesive properties here

Xun fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 18, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Xun posted:

I need to find some specifically "wet or dry" sandpaper, and most of what I can find is labeled either dry sandpaper or wet sandpaper. Is wet sandpaper also "wet or dry"? I'm worried about the adhesive properties here
‘Wetordry’ is a brand name for a type of wet sandpaper made by 3M.

Any wet sandpaper can also be used dry, the water or oil or mineral spirits just acts as a lubricant to keep the paper from clogging which is especially important at finer grits. You usually only wet sand finishes. Regular dry sandpaper can’t be used wet for the most part. Wet sandpaper has a different backing (plastic or fabric or some kind of resin-impregnated/water-resistant paper) from dry sandpaper (which uses plain paper that will melt if it gets wet). The adhesives holding the abrasive to the backing are also likely different. Wet sandpaper usually uses a black silicon carbide abrasive-regular brown paper is usually garnet or aluminum oxide. I can’t remember exactly why silicon carbide gets used (maybe just because it can be manufactured finer?) but I can look it up at work in the AM if for some reason you need to know even more tedious detail about sandpaper.

What are you trying to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Yes. No damage to his ear flaps. At least twice a week I have to wipe the blood off his brows or muzzle. Half of his whiskers are gone.

Dude take your cat to the vet.