Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It looks like the Hue uses a barrel jack/plug of a weird size at twenty‐four volts direct current.

People suggest buying one official Hue extension, cutting it in half, and splicing a longer cable in the middle. If you want to bury it, use cable rated for direct burial cable.

This is all very irregular, but running twenty‐four volts across the yard is less bad than burying an extension cord and putting the power supply in the rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

They make burial rated low voltage cable, just use that.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-16-2-Landscape-Lighting-Cable-By-the-Foot/50142288

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It looks like the Hue uses a barrel jack/plug of a weird size at twenty‐four volts direct current.

People suggest buying one official Hue extension, cutting it in half, and splicing a longer cable in the middle. If you want to bury it, use cable rated for direct burial cable.

This is all very irregular, but running twenty‐four volts across the yard is less bad than burying an extension cord and putting the power supply in the rain.

24v is run across yards ALL THE TIME, it's standard low volt landscape lighting. Shouldn't be hard to find the right materials and a waterproof box for the other end.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Ah yeah I was trying to avoid the whole splicing thing but it looks like my best bet unless I get the overpriced Hue extensions. Thanks.

And yeah burying 120 idea was dumb, oops.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 7, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I have an old heavy duty milwaukee angle grinder I'm in love with but the brushes are worn out and it only works at certain angles. This is as easy of a fix as replacing them yea? I opened it up and they look pretty worn but the system looks simple enough, are there any other parts I should order at the same time? 7 bucks to get this going again would fit my budget well

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Yes. Just slide out the old, pop in the new. Some might say you should buff up the armature if you can get to it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

I have an old heavy duty milwaukee angle grinder I'm in love with but the brushes are worn out and it only works at certain angles. This is as easy of a fix as replacing them yea? I opened it up and they look pretty worn but the system looks simple enough, are there any other parts I should order at the same time? 7 bucks to get this going again would fit my budget well

Yeah replacing brushes is usually pretty straightforward. YouTube University is great for that kind of thing too ime.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ah yeah I was trying to avoid the whole splicing thing but it looks like my best bet unless I get the overpriced Hue extensions. Thanks.

And yeah burying 120 idea was dumb, oops.

Burying 120v isn't dumb, just make sure you use the right cable, and bury it to the depth required by local code.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Electrical-Wire/UF-B/N-5yc1vZbm7vZ1z0zuea?storeSelection=

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Our QA department threw out a set of 8" Mitutoyo digital calipers today because they were just outside of the recommended tolerance for accuracy.

And by threw out, they handed them to me. Thanks QA manager for a free set of ~$500 calipers!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice one!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That's how I got my 70mm mit's, awesome.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

McSpergin posted:

Our QA department threw out a set of 8" Mitutoyo digital calipers today because they were just outside of the recommended tolerance for accuracy.

And by threw out, they handed them to me. Thanks QA manager for a free set of ~$500 calipers!

yeah but they are inaccurate. all your machining projects are going to be off by 5 microns

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yes. Just slide out the old, pop in the new. Some might say you should buff up the armature if you can get to it.

Thanks, I actually had been doing this before to keep it moving at all with some duct tape posts heh

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah replacing brushes is usually pretty straightforward. YouTube University is great for that kind of thing too ime.

Good lookin

Rutibex posted:

yeah but they are inaccurate. all your machining projects are going to be off by 5 microns

Nope I'm 5 microns off the other way now everything I do is right the gently caress on

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thanks, I actually had been doing this before to keep it moving at all with some duct tape posts heh

Good lookin

Tools: I'm 5 microns off the other way everything I do is right the gently caress on

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Rutibex posted:

That'd be valid if I was doing any machining lol

I don't give a hot gay gently caress if the lines on my knives are out by 5 micron, I'm eyeballing them with a set of cheap verniers now lmao

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm in the market for a more powerful leaf blower. I've got the small Black and Decker 20V Max Lithium Sweeper which is okay, but seems to take a long time to get anything large done.

I currently also have batteries for Milwaukee 18v and Kobalt 80v.

Kobalt 80v Brushless
- $144 ($199 with 2.5 ah battery)
- 630 CFM at 140 MPH
- 75 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 2.5 Ah battery, I have 2.0 ah so probably less
- 8.9 lbs (battery an extra 3 ish lbs, 12 ish lbs total)

M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless Handheld Blower
- $159
- 450 CFM at 120 mph
- 30 minutes runtime 5ah battery
- 4.9 lbs (battery an extra 1.5 lbs, 6.4lbs total)

Runtime isn't a major concern. Is that extra airflow in the Kobalt worth almost double the weight? The Black and Decker I have does 100 cfm at 120 mph. The speed seems adequate but I don't know how much more that's important vs airflow.

But that deal with the extra battery on the Kobalt is a deal.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 17, 2021

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FogHelmut posted:

I'm in the market for a more powerful leaf blower. I've got the small Black and Decker 20V Max Lithium Sweeper which is okay, but seems to take a long time to get anything large done.

Kobalt 80v Brushless
- 630 CFM at 140 MPH
- 75 minutes of runtime on a fully charged 2.5 Ah battery, I have 2.0 ah so probably less

- $159
- 450 CFM at 120 mph

Runtime isn't a major concern. Is that extra airflow in the Kobalt worth almost double the weight? The Black and Decker I have does 100 cfm at 120 mph. The speed seems adequate but I don't know how much more that's important vs airflow.

I have not tried the one you're describing but I, unfortunately do have the tiny lil $80 when on sale/refurb Milfukee M18 leaf blower. When they call it a leaf blower they mean literally one leaf. I have been extremely happy with aall my M18 tools which include drill, driver, pole saw, string trimmer, circular saw, couple lights, etc. Not a single one hasn't become my "go to" for solving problems.

The leafblower is the exception but again I bought the lil dinky thing because it was like $69 or something v cheap.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Is California Air Tools still the go-to for compressors? I just need something to fill tires and maybe run a brad nailer once in a while.

Possibly related - if I need a buffing wheel for a boat, I assume electric is the way to go if I don’t want to buy a compressor with a massive reservoir for that once a year job?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Both of those can be handled by battery tools these days if you aren't wedded to the idea of air.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

cakesmith handyman posted:

Both of those can be handled by battery tools these days if you aren't wedded to the idea of air.

Are battery brad nailers any decent?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Are battery brad nailers any decent?

There's a ~1/2 second or so wind up time before you can shoot a nail, so you don't have the same "Watch me shoot 20 nails in 3 seconds!" kind of thing but I'm not sure it's really a big deal, the wait time is extremely minimal. The big downside is probably weight and bulk, it can be trickier to get into some small spaces that a air nailer could fit in because it's tiny. The upside is of course it's cordless and you can go anywhere without a compressor. Also, they are more expensive (not accounting for the cost of a compressor). So if you only need 18g, you are probably better off, because 1 nailer and no compressor is probably cheaper. But if you need a whole gamut of different nailers, then a compressor and several much cheaper nailers would be better.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Elysium posted:

There's a ~1/2 second or so wind up time before you can shoot a nail, so you don't have the same "Watch me shoot 20 nails in 3 seconds!" kind of thing but I'm not sure it's really a big deal, the wait time is extremely minimal. The big downside is probably weight and bulk, it can be trickier to get into some small spaces that a air nailer could fit in because it's tiny. The upside is of course it's cordless and you can go anywhere without a compressor. Also, they are more expensive (not accounting for the cost of a compressor). So if you only need 18g, you are probably better off, because 1 nailer and no compressor is probably cheaper. But if you need a whole gamut of different nailers, then a compressor and several much cheaper nailers would be better.

Ah for sure the wait isnt a big deal I dont usually seem to send brads like I'm throwing up some plywood but a fart gun is so small and generally not too used I feel like it could be one of the few times I'd want the battery option ty.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Erwin posted:

Is California Air Tools still the go-to for compressors? I just need something to fill tires and maybe run a brad nailer once in a while.

Possibly related - if I need a buffing wheel for a boat, I assume electric is the way to go if I don’t want to buy a compressor with a massive reservoir for that once a year job?

I like my California Air Tools compressor, and I picked that up last year. I would give some thought to the battery-powered alternatives as cakesmith said. Maybe even a Vlair for the inflator if you wanted to save a little cash.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

nitsuga posted:

I like my California Air Tools compressor, and I picked that up last year. I would give some thought to the battery-powered alternatives as cakesmith said. Maybe even a Vlair for the inflator if you wanted to save a little cash.

I've got a California air tools 5 gallon compressor and just picked up a Milwaukee M18 2.5 gallon compressor and other than cost the Milwaukee wins my favor. It's just as quiet and way more portable. It can run nailers, inflate tires, and blow off work areas all day long which is my only use cases for it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SpartanIvy posted:

I've got a California air tools 5 gallon compressor and just picked up a Milwaukee M18 2.5 gallon compressor and other than cost the Milwaukee wins my favor. It's just as quiet and way more portable. It can run nailers, inflate tires, and blow off work areas all day long which is my only use cases for it.

I think the thread favorite California Air Tools compressor is the teeny 2 gallon hot dog one, the CAT 2010A. I don't think the recommendation is general to all the CAT compressors, just that in it's size class that little guy is top-tier.

My thoughts on compressors is that there isn't a one-size fits all, but I think pretty much everyone will like having a little 2 gallon one like that because you'll use it for a whole lot of small jobs. Then if you know you need something bigger, get that one too.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
speaking as every one of your neighbors: your leaf blower is a piece of poo poo and i hope it breaks. what a worthless machine. they're called leaves because you're supposed to LEAVE them there. nature created them, and nature shall destroy them

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

speaking as every one of your neighbors: your leaf blower is a piece of poo poo and i hope it breaks. what a worthless machine. they're called leaves because you're supposed to LEAVE them there. nature created them, and nature shall destroy them

I don't have any leaves, I live in socal. It's all sand, debris, and other detritus left by the winds.

e: also all of my neighbors have landscaping services

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
The battery powered leaf blowers are way quieter than the plug in and gas ones. Definitely worth the investment just for that in my opinion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

Kobalt 80v Brushless
- 630 CFM at 140 MPH

- $159
- 450 CFM at 120 mph

No experience with the Kobalt but I have the Milwaukee and prior to that had a corded Toro with much higher advertised speeds (260MPH) and lower CFM (340 CFM).

I don't think you'd hardly notice the 20MPH, the CFM might be more noticeable, but I will take the Milwaukee every time over the old (and now long dead) Toro. The extra speed made it a bit too effective at blowing 1" gravel around, whereas the Milwaukee does a better job of blowing leaves out of said gravel without blowing the gravel away.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

SpartanIvy posted:

The battery powered leaf blowers are way quieter than the plug in and gas ones. Definitely worth the investment just for that in my opinion.

It's because they're usually 1/4 to 1/50 the power of corded and gas powered units respectively. Think very carefully about that before dropping money on one.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i just use the shop vac in blower mode, and i feel like a complete piece of poo poo every time i do it, as god intended

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

It's because they're usually 1/4 to 1/50 the power of corded and gas powered units respectively. Think very carefully about that before dropping money on one.

I'm honestly curious what the "noise premium" is of a gas-powered unit compared to an electric unit. That is, say you had an electric unit that was as powerful as a regular gas unit; how much louder would the gas one be?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I inherited the DeWalt drill/impact set from my dad and I've picked up the reciprocating saw and couple other things to go along with them, but I still only have the pair of 2 amp-hour batteries that came with the drill and that's really not enough any more.

What's the best way to get more batteries? Are there knockoffs that are any good? Right now I'm sort of leaning towards waiting for holiday sales and seeing if I can get a decent package deal for a tool I don't already own.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Kobalt 80v Brushless
- 630 CFM at 140 MPH

- $159
- 450 CFM at 120 mph

I have the 40v version of the Kobalt, it's fine, if a little heavy, but I also bought the Kobalt with a battery for like $10 more than just the battery cost. I also have the 20v Dewalt jobsite blower, and it is much nicer and gets used more though. I'd expect the same out of the M18. Lighter seems to mean I need less runtime, and I'm more likely to just whip it out and cleanup at random.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Lowe’s has the EGO leaf blower with battery and charger on sale for $159

POWER+ 530-CFM 110-MPH Brushless Handheld Cordless Electric Leaf Blower 2.5 Ah (Battery Included and Charger Included)
https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-Power-Plus-56-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-Electric-Leaf-Blower-Battery-Included/1003130706

The battery itself retails for $150 and Ego is king of electric lawncare tools. It would be another system to buy into but if you wanted to get more Ego tools it’s not a bad start.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 20, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Khizan posted:

I inherited the DeWalt drill/impact set from my dad and I've picked up the reciprocating saw and couple other things to go along with them, but I still only have the pair of 2 amp-hour batteries that came with the drill and that's really not enough any more.

What's the best way to get more batteries? Are there knockoffs that are any good? Right now I'm sort of leaning towards waiting for holiday sales and seeing if I can get a decent package deal for a tool I don't already own.

I've had pretty good luck with knockoffs, expect to get 1/3-1/2 the advertised power out of them, so price them against OEM accordingly. (Also they might burn your house down)

Otherwise, wait around for deals, or see if a DeWalt rep will be in one of your local stores, they'll often throw in a nice big battery with a bare tool you might already want.

IME the batteries alone almost never go on sale, it's a racket.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I have to say the best part of Makita's 36v tool line is the bundles. 4x 5ah batteries at retail? $400. A 36v rear handle circ saw with 4 of those and a dual charger? $250.

I'm actually sad they decided to make a 40v line because I can't help but feel that's going to mean no more 36v tools before long.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Blistex posted:

Your opinion is a few years out of date. The $300+ 2 cycle backpack blowers are more powerful than the battery operated handhelds, but nowhere near 50x as powerful. A really good backpack might be about 2-3x as powerful as the Ego/Milwaukee/Dewalt blowers. The main advantage of the gas blowers is that they can run all day on a tiny gas can, so landscape crews aren't going to mess with charging expensive batteries that last 20-30 minutes.

Plug in/corded blowers are not more powerful than the handhelds. Their only advantage is being cheap.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
We've heard about cordless blower now let's hear about cordless vacuums. Anyone try the Milwaukee packout m18 vacuum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Rufio posted:

We've heard about cordless blower now let's hear about cordless vacuums. Anyone try the Milwaukee packout m18 vacuum?

I own the M18 2 gallon shop vac and it rules for small home projects. It's quiet, sucks a lot of air, and is crazy portable. Battery doesn't last too long but if you're doing something small around the house or in the attic, it beats the hell out of hauling around a full size shop vac. I keep my big one in the garage but use the M18 vac for almost everything. They make a multi-size end piece for the hose that is needed to hook it up to power tools and at $20 I highly recommend that accessory. Makes the vacuum usable with the dust extractors and lots of other standard attachments.