Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't follow WWE regularly, but it seems like HHH has this recurring problem of not only beating more active wrestlers clean on PPV but also making GBS threads all over them in the process.

Yes, but he blessed them by being in the ring with them, which means he put them over!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Davros1 posted:

Yes, but he blessed them by being in the ring with them, which means he put them over!

CM Punk is the smartest man in wrestling.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

The Sheamus one is even more bullshit when the entire feud was built around "you're a loser fuckface loser and you might as well change your ring name to Loser Idiot if you lose at WrestleMania."

And then Sheamus is like "oh we'll see about that," and loses clean.

The worst part was that the Internet had spent months praising HHH for finally being professional enough to put over a rising talent, as Sheamus had completely owned their feud prior to that. He'd done a stretcher job for a brutal lead pipe attack, plus when they had a no DQ match I believe Sheamus beat him more or less cleanly.

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

1glitch0 posted:

Same with Jericho.

At least Sheamus wasn’t saddled with taking a backseat in the feud (as UNDISPUTED CHAMPION, no less) to Stephanie and HHH’s On-Screen divorce/dog drama.

https://youtu.be/e91JV3tXyTw

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BodyMassageMachine posted:

At least Sheamus wasn’t saddled with taking a backseat in the feud (as UNDISPUTED CHAMPION, no less) to Stephanie and HHH’s On-Screen divorce/dog drama.

https://youtu.be/e91JV3tXyTw

Having read Chris' 2nd book, he pretty much felt the same way the web did.

Of all people, the Undertaker sought him out the night he dropped the title, post-match, and basically gave him a "Don't let the bastards get you down" pep talk, which Jericho genuinely appreciated.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The worst part was that the Internet had spent months praising HHH for finally being professional enough to put over a rising talent, as Sheamus had completely owned their feud prior to that. He'd done a stretcher job for a brutal lead pipe attack, plus when they had a no DQ match I believe Sheamus beat him more or less cleanly.
The way HHH has always booked himself is as if he's the face in both the feud and the match. Not in what he says or does, but how he thinks you're supposed to feel about him. He gets the comeback offense of a face, he gets the Sad Hulk walkout after losing that nobody actually chants for, and he always ends up with either the in-ring victory or the moral victory, sometimes both but never neither.

I also remember the pipe didn't make much sense for Sheamus specifically, but man a lead pipe is a great heel weapon and I wish it was more prominent. It's an easy prop to make out of light hollow material but still make the hits look brutal. It'd be a fun signature weapon for Cody, being the "grandson of a plumber". :v:

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

There was someone currently in AEW (I've forgotten who. It might have been Matt Sydal) who had that story about not being used in any shows for months on end. So finally he just doesn't show up for one, WWE calls and goes "Bro where are you, we totally had a big thing for you to do"

It probably, it definitely happened to multiple people, but the one I remember is Justin Gabriel/PJ Black, who after months of sitting in catering decided "gently caress it, they won't use me, I'm going skydiving", and off he went. And then of course like two hours later someone called him and said "Where are you, we were totally gonna use you for an important segment tonight."

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That was who I was thinking of, somehow I was crossing Justin Gabriel and Matt Sydal in my brain

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

they told Freddie Prinze he was gonna be the head writer of Smackdown when he quit, like, wow, you mean I get to be married to Daphne from Scooby-Doo *and* be the guy who takes the blame when the script gets thrown in the trash by a weird old man ten minutes before the show??

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

Germansimp posted:

It probably, it definitely happened to multiple people, but the one I remember is Justin Gabriel/PJ Black, who after months of sitting in catering decided "gently caress it, they won't use me, I'm going skydiving", and off he went. And then of course like two hours later someone called him and said "Where are you, we were totally gonna use you for an important segment tonight."

Didn’t this lead to him getting booked as Adam Rose’s Bunny (and never acknowledged as such)?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't follow WWE regularly, but it seems like HHH has this recurring problem of not only beating more active wrestlers clean on PPV but also making GBS threads all over them in the process.

also had the habit of winning and making the other guy look like a chump at the big PPV, then at the next B-level PPV, actually doing the job when no one cared anymore.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
poo poo like that makes me surprised that Hogan and Triple H weren’t friends at any point.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Didn’t this lead to him getting booked as Adam Rose’s Bunny (and never acknowledged as such)?
LU did a great callback to this in a dark segment. https://vimeo.com/160572063

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

That was long, long after the Bunny gimmick was dropped. He hadn't wrestled on TV in like 6 months before leaving.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

PJ Black walked out of WWE the week of the Royal Rumble, after he had randomly been "confirmed" on twitter as being a participant in the rumble despite not being seen on the Main Roster in like 2 years (he was actually in a pretty fun NXT tag team with Tyson Kidd called International Airstrike not long before, though).

This was the same rumble where Curtis Axel was jumped on the ramp by Erick Rowan and I can only imagine that spot was meant for him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

D.N. Nation posted:

also had the habit of winning and making the other guy look like a chump at the big PPV, then at the next B-level PPV, actually doing the job when no one cared anymore.

I've always been under the impression HHH really wants to be Flair and just has a profound lack of awareness that Ric was a 16 time world champion and won about 18 matches.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I've always been under the impression HHH really wants to be Flair and just has a profound lack of awareness that Ric was a 16 time world champion and won about 18 matches.

Flair won a ton when business was hot and then started being booked weaker and weaker as Dusty's ego got out of control (and then when WCW existed he was just booked poorly.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

Flair won a ton when business was hot and then started being booked weaker and weaker as Dusty's ego got out of control (and then when WCW existed he was just booked poorly.)

Well, I got that from Arn and his point was losing does not make a wrestler as weak as Trips seems to think it does.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

LionYeti posted:

Is the Thunder Rosa v Britt Baker match the first time women have bled in a major us promotion? I don't think I've seen it before much if at all.

Chaparita Asari is bleeding after her RAW match with Aja Kong (!) back in 1995 (!!).

But it's like a nosebleed, not a full crimson mask like Britt had.

And iirc it helped kill women's wrestling in the WWF when it happened.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Well, I got that from Arn and his point was losing does not make a wrestler as weak as Trips seems to think it does.

A more recent example might be the Sandman. He's joked that if he wasn't going over for the belt, he was regularly jobbing. At the very least, his feud with Raven was very one sided

Tommy Dreamer is another good example

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Sega 32X posted:

Chaparita Asari is bleeding after her RAW match with Aja Kong (!) back in 1995 (!!).

But it's like a nosebleed, not a full crimson mask like Britt had.

And iirc it helped kill women's wrestling in the WWF when it happened.

Aja & Chaparita were literally Too Real for Vince to deal with.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Royal Updog posted:

Aja & Chaparita were literally Too Real for Vince to deal with.

Imagine bringing Aja Kong into your company then being shocked because her matches are violent.

"Now show me this Rey Fenix kid, hope he doesn't do any flips!"

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Triple H put Batista over on three straight PPVs at the end of the Reign of Terror and got a standing ovation for it before he took some time off; you'd think that would've landed for him

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't there a whole thing a few years ago where a wrestler mentioned during an interview or on social media that the referees should be getting royalties from the video games because their likenesses were being used, so they very next one had generic faceless refs?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Has there ever been a main eventer more insecure than Triple H?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'm sure we can think of one, brother.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

Hogan, especially if you believe Hogan!

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Wasn't there a whole thing a few years ago where a wrestler mentioned during an interview or on social media that the referees should be getting royalties from the video games because their likenesses were being used, so they very next one had generic faceless refs?

Wasn't it Chioda?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
do not display screenshots of triple h in a vulnerable position

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

That sounds familiar?

There's also something related in Harvey Whippleman/Downtown Bruno's book about the Jakks Pacific "Referee" figure that came out in the one and only "Ringside Collection" series in 1997. Though Bruno was no longer a referee (I think) by the time the figures came out, at least some of the series was developed when he was, as Sable is in her short-lived Miss Elizabeth-style evening gown look. Anyway, though it was a very generic referee figure that looked nothing like Bruno, his photo was the one used on the packaging and the referee figure was wearing a wristwatch, and Bruno was the only WWF referee who had been wearing a wristwatch during matches. (I've never checked the latter part out, but I don't have any particular reason to doubt that it's true.)

You can see a photo of the packaged figure here: https://imgur.com/a/BX5Dtbc

According to Bruno, Steve Taylor (former head WWF photographer) was in charge of the referees at the time, and Steve and his assistant, Carolyn Colford, decided that they were going to split the royalties nine ways (Bruno plus the eight full-time referees) because they felt it would be unfair to the other referees...even though they were on the road making money, he wasn't, and he was in bad financial straights that the figure would have gotten him out of if he had gotten the full royalty pool for it. Bruno says he went to J.J. Dillon, who told him to go to Vince, so he did just that. According to Bruno, Vince's reaction was "Of course Bruno should get the royalties! Bruno is a talent, a character, who is being featured, not a normal referee. That’s the way it should be!" And then it got straightened out.

Now, granted, the idea in the first place should have been to have nothing identifiable and split the pool among everyone equally, but...they put Bruno's face on the packaging, so I do think that at a minimum, he should have gotten a greater percentage of the royalty pool than the other referees, even if I dunno if he should have gotten the whole thing.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 20, 2021

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The discussion about Edge's spear being a bit shitarse in the 'rasslin social media thread made me wonder about this age-old question: Who does the best spear/spear variation?

We've got classics like the Gore, the Lanzarse by Shuji Kondo and Goldberg. Where would Lashley and Reigns' efforts stand in comparison to them?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Goldberg's spear seems pretty unbeatable. The Gore wasn't bad at all, but Goldberg looked like he just utterly hosed up the other guy every time. It was good enough that most people didn't really care about him not having other moves.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Ricky Starks has a sick spear.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Vagabundo posted:

The discussion about Edge's spear being a bit shitarse in the 'rasslin social media thread made me wonder about this age-old question: Who does the best spear/spear variation?

We've got classics like the Gore, the Lanzarse by Shuji Kondo and Goldberg. Where would Lashley and Reigns' efforts stand in comparison to them?

Kaitlyn, but she cheated by having AJ Lee always ragdoll for it and also just hitting her as hard as she loving could

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen a prettier one than the one Ricky Starks throws. He comes in low and like jumps up into it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahCsO4sz_j0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqfavXJqqu0

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The trick to doing a good spear seems to be giving no fucks about the person on the other end

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best spear today is Ricky, yeah. Toa Henare also does a real pretty one.

Best of all time still gotta be Goldberg though, that thing always looked like absolute murder, probably because it was.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
iirc DDP had to actually dodge the spear to dodge the spear, and Goldberg about knocked himself out going into the turnbuckle

you got a shoot spear or you got no spear

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

ryo mizunami has a good spear

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Apollo Crews has a deeply problematic spear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I remember like almost fifteen years ago I'd run into videos on Youtube of Japanese wrestling promotion called "Hustle". It had...erm....unique characters like Hard Gay and this dominatrix lady. I've heard that the promotion was apparently very lovely and wasn't/isn't well liked (for reasons that go further than aspects of it that haven't aged well culturally)?