Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CapnAndy posted:

Am I missing sarcasm or are you actually so young you never saw TV before widescreen became a thing?

I haven’t seen a modern film use 4:3 to this scale before.

Taking an anamorphic or wider aspect ratio’ed film, zooming in and pan and scanning it aint what this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
A major 2021 movie release should probably not be the same aspect ratio as my Kamen Rider subs from 2001but I've also never cared about aspect ratio in my life so eh

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I stopped noticing after 5 minutes or so and it helped a lot of the scenes feel much "bigger." A lot of the movie uses a lot of the vertical axis, which even makes things like the Superman fight, which is 80 percent the same, feel different.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Would you have preferred he crop the top and bottom of the image?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blockhouse posted:

A major 2021 movie release should probably not be the same aspect ratio as my Kamen Rider subs from 2001but I've also never cared about aspect ratio in my life so eh

The Lighthouse was awesome. As was Grand Budapest hotel.

I like the framing inside 4:3.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

CelticPredator posted:

I haven’t seen a modern film use 4:3 to this scale before.

Taking an anamorphic or wider aspect ratio’ed film, zooming in and pan and scanning it aint what this is.

You haven't seen The Lighthouse?

*Well, not 4:3 entirely, but they used an aspect ratio that's almost similar

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Grand Budapest also used various aspect ratios. I’m about halfway into this and so far the aspect ratio has been fine? This cut has been real goofy and fun so far

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CelticPredator posted:

The Lighthouse was awesome. As was Grand Budapest hotel.

I like the framing inside 4:3.

But I just meant on a large epic scale. I haven’t seen that yet. I guess anyone could make it but I really dug it here in JL.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

Am I missing sarcasm or are you actually so young you never saw TV before widescreen became a thing?

na, that's one of those snyder can do wrong folks.

I got used to the ratio, but i had a friend bounce right off it and stop watching. I thought it was loving stupid throughout the whole movie.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you're complaining about the aspect ratio you're no different than a boomer twenty years ago bitching about wide screen stuff on 4:3 TV's. Meaning you are wrong and dumb.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I'm not gonna throw shade at anyone for digging it, I'd be a massive hypocrite for doing so scant weeks after I gushed over WandaVision's masterful use of changing aspect ratios to convey information.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
No, it's a stupid choice for a movie that went straight to streaming. It's okay you can say that snyder made a single mistake, he doesn't have to be perfect.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Soonmot posted:

No, it's a stupid choice for a movie that went straight to streaming. It's okay you can say that snyder made a single mistake, he doesn't have to be perfect.

There's a lot of emotions put into this movie needing to be perfect in every way, up to and including the 4 hour runtime.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

So can I watch it with my kid or is this all grim and gritty?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Soonmot posted:

I don’t think it’s a mistake though

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It’s a choice, one that some people agree with and others don’t. I don’t think name calling is really needed at this point. Save it for the really hot takes that get this thread shut down in a day or two.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Retro Futurist posted:

Depends on how old.

It’s actually a lot more upbeat and hopeful than you might think. but has some blood here and there. Some parts are more intense than others but it’s not a dour nightmare.

Two f bombs I guess if that’s an issue but most kids curse anyway so idk.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beamed posted:

There's a lot of emotions put into this movie needing to be perfect in every way, up to and including the 4 hour runtime.

I dont think anyone is this way at this point. The majority of people like the movie that have seen it, so anyone there already won.

If you watch a lot of classic film, you're used to different aspect ratios (hi, Seven Samurai) so it only takes a second to adjust. I just watched The Lighthouse for the first time a month ago, and same adjustment period.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Not going to lie I’m really digging this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

It’s a choice, one that some people agree with and others don’t. I don’t think name calling is really needed at this point. Save it for the really hot takes that get this thread shut down in a day or two.

I honestly can't really think of any hot takes that aren't based in snyder worship. My honest assessment as someone who went in wanting to hate it and coming out with a positive view is that it was a vast improvement but too long and meandering to be really good.

Action was top notch, though.

Retro Futurist posted:

The violence is a little more intense but it's probably fine.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I don't think he's perfect but this isn't a mistake. It's how he shot the movie. It's not like he planned for a streaming only release five years ago when he made the thing. The alternative was cropping off the tops and bottoms of the frames. That would have been really horrible to do. You're just wrong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You are, as usual, creating arbitrary goalposts. You know very well that's not what he meant.

Darko posted:

I dont think anyone is this way at this point. The majority of people like the movie that have seen it, so anyone there already won.

If you watch a lot of classic film, you're used to different aspect ratios (hi, Seven Samurai) so it only takes a second to adjust. I just watched The Lighthouse for the first time a month ago, and same adjustment period.

The aspect ratio isn't a problem but it doesn't add anything either.

It wouldn't have done much on a non-IMAX screen either.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It wouldn't have done much on a non-IMAX screen either.

What was the movie shot for, again?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I have an old 50” rear projection TV in my garage. If I can find an s-video cable maybe I’ll watch it on that.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CelticPredator posted:

Depends on how old.

It’s actually a lot more upbeat and hopeful than you might think. but has some blood here and there. Some parts are more intense than others but it’s not a dour nightmare.

Two f bombs I guess if that’s an issue but most kids curse anyway so idk.

I’m a mechanic who’s been homeschooling and bringing my kid to the shop all year so two f bombs is...doable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

What was the movie shot for, again?

About 80% non-IMAX screens.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Soonmot posted:

Nobody has to admit to anything actually.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

About 80% non-IMAX screens.

No it wasn't. He shot it for IMAX. He's said this since it was in production that he was going all in on the IMAX stuff. There is for sure some irony in the only reason this movie got finished being the thing that makes how it was shot not nearly as impressive as he was hoping the theatrical release would be. And there absolutely would have been articles about the IMAX version being incredible and transformative and all that stuff had it been released as planned, I'm sure. But the world isn't perfect and that didn't happen. Again, the only alternative at this point would have been to crop the image, which was shot with IMAX in mind five years ago with no thought ever given to a digital only release. You can argue he made a mistake back then, but it was an unforseeable one so if you aren't able to forgive it, I don't understand you at all.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Just do a comparison with Whedon version and you can see what is and isn't in the screen in shared screens. Shouldnt really be an argument, they are one click away.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everything was shot and framed for the 4:3 aspect ratio.

16:9 from the theatrical

4:3 in the Snyder Cut

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have used a shot that's literally cutting one of the characters in half to prove this point.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roth posted:

I love Superman looking like a Mortal Kombat 1 character holding the block button in this shot.

Hoop Dreams
Oct 21, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Maybe you shouldn't have used a shot that's literally cutting one of the characters in half to prove this point.

Wait what? Isn't that whole pt of the post and screen shots?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

It's actually showing the correct aspect ratio has more in frame than the 16:9

Another comparison:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

JordanKai posted:

I love Superman looking like a Mortal Kombat 1 character holding the block button in this shot.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm just glad the even post-apocalypse, Bats can still find makeup to put around his eyes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

It's actually showing the correct aspect ratio has more in frame than the 16:9

Another comparison:

Sorry I totally read your initial post backwards.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
How come Aquaman keeps taking his shirt off before jumping in the water?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Grem posted:

How come Aquaman keeps taking his shirt off before jumping in the water?

You ever swim in a shirt? Not comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Yea. Swimming with a shirt on belies a virgin self-consciousness not fitting a king in waiting.