Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TK-42-1 posted:

There’s something iconic about that look. If they changed it people would want them to go back because it ‘feels wrong’

Yeah, like how fighter jets never looked better then when they were all shiny steel and big black buzz numbers on the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, like how fighter jets never looked better then when they were all shiny steel and big black buzz numbers on the side.

:dong:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FU-420

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Accurate, but you didn't pick the best paint scheme OR nose.

It even applies to heavies!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

:dong:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I wonder if we can get a Green New Deal rider to incentivize that paint scheme on the basis of weight/fuel efficiency.

No, I don't care if whatever varnish they use is heavier than regular paint or if bare metal causes increased maintenance costs, shut up.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The trick to making it a career is obviously to stay in long enough to be the one doing the pissing. :chiefsay:

Hold on, I'm getting an update from the career military side of things:

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1372945884590309376

"Franks also told his subordinates to push their units faster during the invasion. He did not realize his tracking software was zoomed out so their progress appeared stalled on the big board"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The trick to making it a career is obviously to stay in long enough to be the one doing the pissing. :chiefsay:

Hold on, I'm getting an update from the career military side of things:

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1372945884590309376

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFoC3TR5rzI

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, I'd read a book about dumbasses in charge of pretty much anybody, except Sears cause I already know that one all too well.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I highly doubt two planes doing a coordinated strike is independent events with the same probability as two single plane strikes, but I have no idea what they were basing their estimates on, so I dunno if its a small brain or a galaxy brain take.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Xakura posted:

I highly doubt two planes doing a coordinated strike is independent events with the same probability as two single plane strikes, but I have no idea what they were basing their estimates on, so I dunno if its a small brain or a galaxy brain take.

Have a read

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1372946122646433793

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Yes, I saw that, but we aren't told what the unnamed underling is basing any of this on. (Obviously "1.0" is bunk, but let's say he meant high 90s)

If it's a small target you're sending two planes with two bombs, then it's two independent events with probability dependent on CEP. And in our case two .5 gives .75 of at least one hit.

But if the limiting factor is bomb load? Dora Farms were a complex they thought saddam might be, right? So say one plane is capable of destroying half the complex, two planes should be able to destroy all of it, giving this planner his "sure bet".

Alternatively, (and now we might be entering "spherical cow" territory a bit), assume hostile air defence have a 50% chance of detecting your plane, but is only able to engage one target at a time. Then one plane has a 50% chance of getting through, two planes guarantees it.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Xakura posted:

Yes, I saw that, but we aren't told what the unnamed underling is basing any of this on. (Obviously "1.0" is bunk, but let's say he meant high 90s)

If it's a small target you're sending two planes with two bombs, then it's two independent events with probability dependent on CEP. And in our case two .5 gives .75 of at least one hit.

But if the limiting factor is bomb load? Dora Farms were a complex they thought saddam might be, right? So say one plane is capable of destroying half the complex, two planes should be able to destroy all of it, giving this planner his "sure bet".

Alternatively, (and now we might be entering "spherical cow" territory a bit), assume hostile air defence have a 50% chance of detecting your plane, but is only able to engage one target at a time. Then one plane has a 50% chance of getting through, two planes guarantees it.

Calm down, Buzz

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Vengarr posted:

"Franks also told his subordinates to push their units faster during the invasion. He did not realize his tracking software was zoomed out so their progress appeared stalled on the big board"

https://youtu.be/EemoOviEC74

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I wonder if we can get a Green New Deal rider to incentivize that paint scheme on the basis of weight/fuel efficiency.

No, I don't care if whatever varnish they use is heavier than regular paint or if bare metal causes increased maintenance costs, shut up.

Part of the reason they stopped doing the bare metal was that, corrosion control issues aside, modern aircraft are made of too many different materials to look good unpainted.

It's not just shiny aluminum under the paint anymore.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

They would fly eternal if they got shiny and chromed

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not gonna lie, I'd read a book about dumbasses in charge of pretty much anybody, except Sears cause I already know that one all too well.

Buckle up.

Xakura posted:

It's not. I don't know the specific math, but we do this sort of thing a lot and I absolutely do not believe that Moseley said it goes to 100%. The dude was a fighter pilot. Deciding when to use one missile vs two to enhance probably of kill was the fulcrum of his job for a decade.

Xakura posted:

For the same reasons, nope.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 20, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

E: Im dumb

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 20, 2021

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

It's not. I don't know the specific math, but we do this sort of thing a lot and I absolutely do not believe that Moseley said it goes to 100%. The dude was a fighter pilot. Deciding when to use one missile vs two to enhance probably of kill was the fulcrum of his job for a decade.

On the other hand, people will definitely use completely bullshit math and logic if their plan requires it in order to work. I don't know about this particular case, especially based off a one-line blurb, but I could easily imagine something along the lines of "to get a .9 Pd we would need four jets, but we can't spare four jets for it, so say it'll work with two".

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Godholio posted:

Not just the fulcrum, but the flanker and foxhound too!

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

On the other hand, people will definitely use completely bullshit math and logic if their plan requires it in order to work. I don't know about this particular case, especially based off a one-line blurb, but I could easily imagine something along the lines of "to get a .9 Pd we would need four jets, but we can't spare four jets for it, so say it'll work with two".

Sure (avoiding the JFACC vs UCC argument), but that's different than guaranteeing mission success. Way loving different. I think it's much more likely that the quote was grossly adjusted for that book, or that Franks is making poo poo up or misremembering.

Edit:
Here's a naked (current) Thunderbird

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

They really need to take that thing out more often, it's covered in algae.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Kith posted:

They parked it under a pine tree....

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I think the unpainted birds look pretty cool

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Kith posted:

Nature is healing, the birds of the sky nest with the moss of the land. Together they are stronger. Apart, well, they're still better than the F-35 lol.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Dudes keep leaving their ID cards lying around and their co-workers make sure they are easy to find. Super helpful, that's the military way.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Memento posted:

Dudes keep leaving their ID cards lying around and their co-workers make sure they are easy to find. Super helpful, that's the military way.

The hospital I worked with (ish) at Wainwright, if you left your ID card laying around the medics would put it in a cast for you. Whatever casting material they used, it was black...so naturally these were called pucks :dadjoke:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Plenty of freezing, but the best was a id card holder glued to a hard drive magnet and thrown up into the non-drop ceiling of our IT cave. Is it on a light? Is it on the HVAC? Is it on the fire sprinkler pipes? Go get the big ladder from facility maintenance and find out!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My favorite method was to hand it to the person and tell them to watch their poo poo better.

loving time vampires. People forget poo poo.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

just make em do flutter kicks and pushups for 2 hours because a strong body means a strong mind good to go? Roger that

*faaaarrrtttt* HOOAH

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Wasabi the J posted:

My favorite method was to hand it to the person and tell them to watch their poo poo better.

loving time vampires. People forget poo poo.

I can see doing that the first time. Or the second. After the fourth or fifth time - well, at least sticking it in a water bottle and freezing it means it can't get abused by someone else.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I mean true, but you never know what someone might need their ID for at any given moment.

The answer to why can't your joe sign his clothing record/counseling/get into MyPay/access TRICARE/access DEERS shouldn't be "funny joek," even temporarily.

Your joke becomes even more "hilarious" when dude has to take hours to get a new one if it damages the little chip inside. In the guard that poo poo can take weeks cus there's like one person for the whole loving state.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 21, 2021

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I was in one of the most brain dead, immature, racist/sexist/homophobic communities the military has to offer and people having their CACs hosed with never happened. It isn't that hard. Multiple instances? Address it the appropriate way. That's all there is to it. It's ok to pretend you're a military professional now and then.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Yeah doing stuff that can gently caress up the chip is pretty lovely. We normally just hide it somewhere in the room. Same with coffee mugs that people leave out - I knew one guy who left his out so frequently he would just go straight to the freezer in the morning because that was usually where it ended up.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I watched a sergeant throw a dude's CAC in the armory drill floor after a UA as a joke. It instantly turned and flew almost straight upwards and perfectly landed on a rafter. He had to go get a new CAC because they didn't have any ladders or a lift to get up that high, and it's probably still sitting up there. It wouldn't have been hilarious if we weren't on a federal installation with the only decent/fast DEERs office I've ever been to for him to replace it at within the hour.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm down for clowning on fools btw. Just don't gently caress with people's things, period.

I feel like that's just a base level stuff.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I worked in an office its not that hard to pull your cac when you walk away

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

PookBear posted:

I worked in an office its not that hard to pull your cac when you walk away

Pulling your cac in the office sounds like a good way to get fired.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Sounds like y'all are just a bunch of fun hating fuddy duddies :colbert:

first offense you just give them the card back, there's a two-day probationary period where that card is gonna go for a trip if it's lost again :colbert::colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Sometimes I drew on them with a dry erase marker.