Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
That Reminds me of some looney tunes cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

titty_baby_ posted:

As a teenage boy I didnt think I'd really need a hard hat when my job was to just drag luggage down from the attic but uhh I guess I learned

I was talking to this guy

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

skybolt_1 posted:

This is violence. mods!?!

I had several spasms looking at that travesty. It is an affront to god.

Seriously how does anyone do that, stand back and think "yup looks good!"

Maybe you could get away with that with 3/4" and really good water pressure from the source, but when everything is 1/2" running ~50' from a really cheap water pump, and there are 5 "T" connections between it and your shower. . .

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

Maybe you could get away with that with 3/4" and really good water pressure from the source, but when everything is 1/2" running ~50' from a really cheap water pump, and there are 5 "T" connections between it and your shower. . .

Manifolds. They are a thing. They don't even cost that much ffs. Pex is cheap as poo poo. There can be good reasons to t off of 1/2 feed like in a retrofit but come on this is wide open.

I get it, people are dumb as hell and the fact that PEX plus those Sharkbite fittings' availability at home depot and lowes have turned every jackass into a plumber. But this is just straight idiocy mixed with indolence.

I'm not a plumber but I've successfully replumbed a whole house with upnor and it sure as poo poo didn't look like this crap

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lmaoooooo

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

NoneMoreNegative posted:

It was right there on the blueprint! :mad:

edit:

Yes you can come crash in my spare room, Fortunato

my son, balconey, he runs the family now

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

AFewBricksShy posted:

I talked a lot of these points over with the schluter rep the last time I saw him. According to him the Kerdi can go in just as fast or faster than redgard. I’ve still yet to do the race with it though but if I get the right job I will.
Their mortar explanation makes sense to me. (If another company changes their formula it might not work and then they would be on the hook for the warranty issue). The all set is actually a pretty fantastic mortar overall so I’m much more comfortable using it.
We just did a 2k sqft lobby with the ditra underlayment and it went well.

I was the one you provided that rant to, and I never did post an update on everything.

To keep it short, I'd never recommend the contractor that ended up doing the work, and have thought at times about filing a complaint with the state contractor licensure board about them. The resulting shower looks pretty good and thanks to the Mapei products used I'm not too worried about it long term, but to give a few frustrations:

- They didn't apply the proper thickness of Mapei Aquadefense to about 2/3rds of the shower. The bottom 2 to 2 1/2 ft have decent coverage, and a bench we had them install had really good coverage, but above that 2.5', the application was thin enough that you could see through to the cement board beneath. The worst part though is that we had purchased two gallons of Aquadefense, used just over one gallon, and then took the second gallon with them for I assume another job...

- When we discussed putting an inset niche in, they were going to basically have one big niche with a middle shelf. It ended up being only the one large niche, but we didn't see/catch it until they had already formed the cement board and applied the Aquadefense. They also didn't put the niche where we had agreed it would go, and in the process of putting it in they put it on the direct opposite side of our AC disconnect, so that in the process of putting the niche in, nailing it, etc., they knocked the knife plate out and we lost AC until we realized what had happened.

- They set about 2/3rds of the tile one day, then came back, finishing setting the remaining 1/3rd the next day, and then proceeded to start grouting that second day. I asked about the tiles sitting for 24 hours at least, which is also what the thinset directions called for, and was told that the small remaining area that was grouted same day would be fine since they'd set in the morning, and then grout it later in the day.

- Metal trim used on the exposed edges was mostly good, but there were some areas where within the first 3-5 days, it shifted and offset from adjoining trim. The areas where it shifted, are mainly where the remaining 1/3rd of tile that was set and grouted same day, are located...

- Per the square footage of tile installed, there should have been one spare bag of both thinset and grout left unopened, and of course probably some of an open bag left. Instead, we were left with three unopened bags of thinset, plus an open bag, which makes me think they didn't apply as much thinset as ideal/recommended. We barely had any grout left too, which makes me wonder if it floated into areas beneath the tiles where thinset should have been.

- They damaged/chipped the adjacent fiberglass tub in places, probably due to dropping tile on it, etc., and scratched it up quite a bit in places. We didn't see it though until they had finished and cleaned up.

- There are various areas where they got the green Aquadefense on the adjacent painted walls, the bathroom floor tiles, etc., that I haven't been able to get off so far, due to sloppiness. Our toilet is in a small water closet that has its own door, and there was even Aquadefense on the door edge where I'm guessing they went in, used the toilet, and touched the door edge to avoid touching the handle, except they got the Aquadefense on the door instead.

- After they were done, we had the shower measured for the glass. About 3 weeks later we had the shower glass installed, and starting using the shower. Within about a month, we noticed the shower drain starting to back up some, which seemed strange. The new drain has a removable strainer in it, so I was trying to clean it as much as possible, but it'd get slightly better, only then to back up again. I tried looking into the drain but couldn't see much with the flashlight, so I called out a plumber to check it out. It turned out, they hadn't covered the drain during the demo work and they let huge chunks of drywall, tile, grout, the old deck mud, etc., fall into the drain and never said anything. The plumber spent almost an hour cleaning the drain out, and once he thought he got it all, did a short camera to check it out to confirm, but even the plumber was pissed at how bad it was.

I've kept a list of all the things that are suspect, as well as noticeable defects. I keep bouncing between just putting in a warranty work request before the 12 month warranty is up, or just complaining to the state contractor board instead.

It's "funny" though because when I had first asked them about Schluter, they couldn't do it because they only had one person trained. I guess that should have been a red flag to move on, but I think whenever we do the other bathroom and shower/bath, I'm just going to do it myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This whole "bags of <whatever> leftover" is baffling to me. What kind of contractor either allows or requires the customer to buy materials like this? That should have been the very first huge red flag.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

devicenull posted:

No, it's actual ductwork not drainage.

unified exhaust for something?

:edit: no, that doesn't make sense. that'd be done in pvc. hmmmm.

Brute Squad fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 21, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Motronic posted:

This whole "bags of <whatever> leftover" is baffling to me. What kind of contractor either allows or requires the customer to buy materials like this? That should have been the very first huge red flag.

When we did our rehab, it was April/May 2020 and where we live, the state had just opened back up from a soft Covid closure, and most were anticipating another, bigger one coming (which didn't happen), but there was a huge rush to get work done. Every normal shower/bathroom remodel contractor we directly contacted, were scheduled weeks or months out, and my wife was pregnant so we didn't want to drag the whole process out with our main bath torn open.

Ultimately the contractor we used, was one of the ones that you could be referred to by Floor & Decor, so the typical process is that the homeowner calls the contractor out, who estimates quantities, etc., then the homeowner buys all the necessary materials at Floor & Decor (or wherever, but they give a "discount" if you do, which I'm sure just ends up on the contractor's estimate hidden amongst the labor). Before we decided to go with them, I even checked the state contractor board for complaints, looked at reviews, etc., and no red flags stood out.

But anyway, once they're done, if there are any materials left, those are the property of the homeowner since we purchased them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Ultimately the contractor we used, was one of the ones that you could be referred to by Floor & Decor

Ahhh, there's the red flag. Even halfway competent contractors have zero need to get referrals from places like that in normal times. I can only image how awful you must be to not have your own work to book directly at a time like this.

Sorry you went through that, but never, ever hire a contractor associated with/referred out from Home Depot/Lowes/whatever else.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I saw this pool and thought of you, thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXKiWypDro8&t=137s

There are more shots of its structure near the end.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Platystemon posted:

That looks pretty amazing actually.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Platystemon posted:

I wonder what it was they had to blur out at 6:00.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Motronic posted:

Sorry you went through that, but never, ever hire a contractor associated with/referred out from Home Depot/Lowes/whatever else.

I'm thinking this should be in the forum rules at this point. PO of my house had a roof put on by a home depot contractor and that's why we have to have literally all the flashing replaced and the box gutters re-lined.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m sure the crew loves it, and I don’t see any signs of imminent failure, but the style is at least fitting for this thread I and I had to post it somewhere.

The structural bollards are key to its success.

Weembles posted:

Maybe the name of the birthday boy.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

corgski posted:

I'm thinking this should be in the forum rules at this point. PO of my house had a roof put on by a home depot contractor and that's why we have to have literally all the flashing replaced and the box gutters re-lined.

So for the uninformed, where is the best place to get a referral for a quality contractor if you are say new in town?

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Another minor one from my walk this afternoon.

Natural sunlight sucks rear end, who needs that?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Weembles posted:

Some sort of flag?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Burning_Monk posted:

So for the uninformed, where is the best place to get a referral for a quality contractor if you are say new in town?

From people you know/neighbors who have had work done.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

Ahhh, there's the red flag. Even halfway competent contractors have zero need to get referrals from places like that in normal times. I can only image how awful you must be to not have your own work to book directly at a time like this.

Clearly bad enough to gently caress up their credit with every building supply company in the area.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thomamelas posted:

Clearly bad enough to gently caress up their credit with every building supply company in the area.

Yeah, that's a great point too. Having the customer buy materials is often an indication of exactly that.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Detheros posted:

Poor dude was just working with what he could get after Grover was done buying windows for the Haus.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Burning_Monk posted:

I would definitely agree to stay away from big box contracting programs and the companies who have to rely on them for work. More specialty supply shops can be a great source for referrals though. Call a local dedicated supplier for the trade you need (paint store, electrical/plumbing/appliance/hvac parts house, tile shop, etc) and just ask employees for recommendations. They know the people who they see all the time and which ones are shady or not, who pays their bill, who cuts corners, who has a lot of call backs, etc. They don't want their reputation on a crappy job and are going to give you the contractors who won't give them a bad name in turn.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
At a minimum, you should be using contractors whose ratings and reviews you can read. Yelp or Angie's List are a hell of a lot better than just going to a big box store and taking the first contractor they have available.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Here’s another picture of the vents if you wanna sleuth more as I’m clueless right now.

Also what does this do? Heat water going thru I guess, eh? (Sorry if wrong thread for that Q)

(The room behind is just roughed in and we’ll finish it when the basement is complete)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It recaptures some of the heat from wastewater.

Wastewater goes straight down. Fresh water moves through the copper helix.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh thats very cool! :) Thank you.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Here’s another picture of the vents if you wanna sleuth more as I’m clueless right now.

Looked up that unit on the wall, and then the wiki page explained what's going on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation

The duct going into the floor is probably the air intake from outside, and it's run underground for heat exchange.

The whole house looks to be super energy efficiency, which means it probably has weird odors and had a carbon footprint for manufacturing it that might not be offset by the carbon reduction from heating efficiency for a long while

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

E:fb ^

That could be outside makeup air intake that goes through pipe underground to condition it for the ERV/HRV system. Earth tube is the keyword.

See if you can find your intake otherwise.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Final Blog Entry posted:

I would definitely agree to stay away from big box contracting programs and the companies who have to rely on them for work. More specialty supply shops can be a great source for referrals though. Call a local dedicated supplier for the trade you need (paint store, electrical/plumbing/appliance/hvac parts house, tile shop, etc) and just ask employees for recommendations. They know the people who they see all the time and which ones are shady or not, who pays their bill, who cuts corners, who has a lot of call backs, etc. They don't want their reputation on a crappy job and are going to give you the contractors who won't give them a bad name in turn.

Very helpful, thank you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Slanderer posted:

Looked up that unit on the wall, and then the wiki page explained what's going on:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation

The duct going into the floor is probably the air intake from outside, and it's run underground for heat exchange.

The whole house looks to be super energy efficiency, which means it probably has weird odors and had a carbon footprint for manufacturing it that might not be offset by the carbon reduction from heating efficiency for a long while

It's a brand new build, hehe. So going forward should be energy efficient. Includes triple pane windows as our winters our brutal here (-15C to -30C normally - it's Manitoba haha).

E: Oh, i see what you mean by the carbon footprint of a brand new house. :3:

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 22, 2021

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Detheros posted:

I'm sure it's because people simply prefer electric lighting and don't understand the fire risks to it. But ever since this thread or the OSHA thread brought up how ultra rich people will have windowless second floor rooms for the purpose of human trafficking.... I can't help but think of the worst. But I doubt that's the case here. Probably. Not unless they're trafficking grover outlets or something.

A house in my neighborhood renovated to remove real wide horizontal windows to replace it with a tiny twelve inch one high off the floor last year. I guess someone called somebody, because that got replaced with a bigger window real fast. I'm glad no one died to get that changed around.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

value-brand cereal posted:

I'm sure it's because people simply prefer electric lighting and don't understand the fire risks to it. But ever since this thread or the OSHA thread brought up how ultra rich people will have windowless second floor rooms for the purpose of human trafficking.... I can't help but think of the worst. But I doubt that's the case here. Probably. Not unless they're trafficking grover outlets or something.

:yikes:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah I think they have windowless rooms because they have big fuckoff walk in closets and wine caves and cigar rooms and other places that don’t need windows and not because they’re human trafficking

:wtc:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You only need small windows because it protects the archers while they're firing out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I do declare, one ultra-rich guy using his windowless second floor room for human trafficking and it just ruins things for those of us with wine and cigar rooms.

Oh, those? Those are my wine manacles.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The house I grew up in had a weird previous owner who our neighbors told us (or rather my parents and they only told me years later lol) that they were keeping undocumented Chinese immigrants in the house, presumably some form of trafficking. They had had an odd bonus room built over the garage with a trap door, and apparently it was positioned right over an RV so they could hide or skedaddle if needed. They also did weird things like giving a neighbor a bunch of cash and asking them to open an account for their daughter in case anything happened to them and apparently had attack dogs on leashes tied to the doors. I guess that's why people told us about it after the fact and not the authorities.
Crazy poo poo but anyway that bonus room does have windows.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

But were there dirty blankets to make the place look sick, and doors that lead to nowhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Cd8iOsspQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Final Blog Entry posted:

That's even allowed over there? Here we have a blanket ban on recommending any contractors or tradesmen, because if they gently caress up, we could potentially be on the hook to some extent.