Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
In addition to what ColdPie said, trying to force the saw through is bad. A loose grip is all you need, just push the saw and let it do the work. When it starts to feel like you need a lot of force to push the saw lubricating the plate can help. As do some wedges to keep the kerf open in case there's some tension in the wood that's clamping down on the saw. Finally, it might just need a good sharpening. It's certainly a more aerobic option than a bandsaw, but it gets the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

more falafel please posted:

A 10" bandsaw will typically have a resaw capacity of about 3 1/2".

Can confirm, I've got a 10" WEN and it's just so underpowered. I mean I'll still resaw 5" wide boards, it just takes 5 minutes a foot, feeding as slow as you can so as not to get bogged down and start slipping the drive wheel. A urethane tire on the drive wheel helped a bit but I just wish it had a beefier motor.

Anyone had any luck swapping a bigger motor on a cheap 10" bandsaw?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cool I'm definitely giving this a shot, worst case I wreck some cheap lumber and waste some time. It's green lumber that's been in the elements so it's definitely on the wetter side. Should I let it dry before trying to resaw, resaw before drying, or just do whatever is convenient?

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I have no experience resawing anything, but I would expect that if you saw it while green it will probably warp while drying. If you let it dry first at least you'll know the general shape of it? It may move regardless if there's some internal stresses you end up changing during the process.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Resawing generally makes the board cup, in my experience. I don't know that I've ever seen it twist, but I'd believe it's a possibility. I'd say a rough rule of thumb, at least for the resawing I've done, is that between kerf and needing to plane out the cupping, you lose a third of the width of the board.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

idk if anyone else has noticed it but PBS has started uploading tons of back episodes of the Roy Underhill Woodwright's Shop series. Chris Schwartz features in lots of the later season ones, and I just found one with Peter Follansbee.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJlBuV_9w816re7vsHyLPBg

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 22, 2021

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Those got recommended to me today and I watched a bunch of them despite doing work with mostly hand tools doesn’t appeal to me.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My gallon bottle of glue (Titebond II) seems like it's started to go funky, like it's started to separate. I bought the bottle in november 2016 and still have half of it left. I poured some out (more like squeezed some out) and mixed it and added a tiny bit of water and it turned out fine. Glued up an end grain cutting board with it and it holds very well so I don't think it's gone bad.

But I think I'll buy smaller bottles in the future. Seems like this glue has lasted a very long time, before I remember buying liter bottles of other types of glue all the time and I was always out. Then I bought titebond and it's lasted 5 years.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love my big jug of glue. I'm never going back to small glue

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Olothreutes posted:

I have no experience resawing anything, but I would expect that if you saw it while green it will probably warp while drying. If you let it dry first at least you'll know the general shape of it? It may move regardless if there's some internal stresses you end up changing during the process.

Lumber is rough sawn green almost always. Sometimes it warps, sometimes it don't. Resawing seasoned lumber is going to be more difficult, and there's still no guarantee it won't warp. Sometimes it has built-in stress, just like

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Lumber is rough sawn green almost always. Sometimes it warps, sometimes it don't. Resawing seasoned lumber is going to be more difficult, and there's still no guarantee it won't warp. Sometimes it has built-in stress, just like

I once selected the straightest but of cls timber i could find to cut in half for a very basic bit of framing. Cut it last thing on a Friday and came back Monday morning to find both parts like a banana.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

serious gaylord posted:

I once selected the straightest but of cls timber i could find to cut in half for a very basic bit of framing. Cut it last thing on a Friday and came back Monday morning to find both parts like a banana.

Yep, probably case hardened a bit from drying too fast.

When I am working with SYP (frequently, one of the few benefits of living in the south) I not only let the lumber acclimate for a few months in my garage, but when I rough cut out my parts, I let them acclimate for a few weeks as well, only then will I attempt to size them to final dimensions

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody posted:

Cool I'm definitely giving this a shot, worst case I wreck some cheap lumber and waste some time. It's green lumber that's been in the elements so it's definitely on the wetter side. Should I let it dry before trying to resaw, resaw before drying, or just do whatever is convenient?
Better to saw green and let the resawn boards dry. They will dry faster and if you sticker them with a weight on top you have a decent chance they stay flat. Depending on how green and species etc. this is a months long process if you want to get it really dry.

CommonShore posted:

idk if anyone else has noticed it but PBS has started uploading tons of back episodes of the Roy Underhill Woodwright's Shop series. Chris Schwartz features in lots of the later season ones, and I just found one with Peter Follansbee.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJlBuV_9w816re7vsHyLPBg
There are even more on the PBS site: https://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/watch-on-line/watch-season-episodes/

His Divine Shadow posted:

My gallon bottle of glue (Titebond II) seems like it's started to go funky, like it's started to separate. I bought the bottle in november 2016 and still have half of it left. I poured some out (more like squeezed some out) and mixed it and added a tiny bit of water and it turned out fine. Glued up an end grain cutting board with it and it holds very well so I don't think it's gone bad.

But I think I'll buy smaller bottles in the future. Seems like this glue has lasted a very long time, before I remember buying liter bottles of other types of glue all the time and I was always out. Then I bought titebond and it's lasted 5 years.
The Titebond people say it has a 2 yr shelf-life, but they're also trying to sell more glue. Is there any chance the glue might have frozen? It does not like freezing, and I've had problems with glue joints weeks or months later that I made with glue I think froze in shipment (it was TB Extend though, not TB2, which is a more forgiving glue)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What's this

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

CommonShore posted:

What's this

Looks like its used to cut tenons on round stock.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Due to renaissance fairs being an extremely popular family activity I've been experimenting with making wooden cups in anticipation of being able to go again this year. These were my 3 prototypes. Made out of some scrap pine/maple.

To finish them I've been using mineral oil + beeswax. I filled one of the pine ones up a while ago with water and let it sit for 6 hours and not a drop came out.

I finally made a "real" one out of zebrawood with a maple handle because I didn't have enough zebrawood to make the handle. Routing the handle burnt the poo poo out of the maple. I spent ~2 hours hand sanding all those tiny little crevices trying to clean it up the best I could. I finally called it good enough and applied the finish. Due to some math errors and not properly calculating the new circumference/diameter when I decided to cut the staves at 1 1/2" instead of 1" this thing could probably hold a 40 without spilling a drop.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Due to renaissance fairs being an extremely popular family activity I've been experimenting with making wooden cups in anticipation of being able to go again this year. These were my 3 prototypes. Made out of some scrap pine/maple.

To finish them I've been using mineral oil + beeswax. I filled one of the pine ones up a while ago with water and let it sit for 6 hours and not a drop came out.

I finally made a "real" one out of zebrawood with a maple handle because I didn't have enough zebrawood to make the handle. Routing the handle burnt the poo poo out of the maple. I spent ~2 hours hand sanding all those tiny little crevices trying to clean it up the best I could. I finally called it good enough and applied the finish. Due to some math errors and not properly calculating the new circumference/diameter when I decided to cut the staves at 1 1/2" instead of 1" this thing could probably hold a 40 without spilling a drop.

That's cool! How do you clamp for the glue-up?

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Danhenge posted:

That's cool! How do you clamp for the glue-up?

Tape + metal hose clamps for the staves. I have a bunch of them in 4"-6". I just tape it all up, kind of like gluing a miter box together except with a bunch of pieces, and them put a few around it to put pressure around it. Gluing the bottom on I just use a bar clamp and put a piece of scrap wood across the mouth. For the handle I just use a crazy amount of tape to hold it in position.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CommonShore posted:

What's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maWBJbMjEFU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

epswing posted:

Somewhere under the clamps is a tea box, thanks for the inspiration ;)

That's more clamps than I own, :lol:

How'd this turn out?

I used my scrap to make two smaller ones. Kinda made the same mistakes. Will probably give them to my mom and sis.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Uthor posted:

That's more clamps than I own, :lol:

How'd this turn out?

Lots of tearout, not quite square, but it's functional!

(Oh and ignore the dados inside the lid lol)

epswing fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 24, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I never shared my latest over ambitious COVID carpentry project, but I’m finishing up a shelving addition so let’s fix that

All big box oak plywood so it’s a bit rough, and the edge veneer is already lifting in a few spots, and it’s not square, and the desk is too high so it doesn’t fold right, and...

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I'm done the frame joinery on my lathe stand. First furniture like thing I've worked on in over two years and it's going well so far.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I hope this circle area in the bottom in a cubby hole for a cat to hang out

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

How bad of an idea is it to make small rip cuts (in pine) using a miter saw?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bouillon Rube posted:

How bad of an idea is it to make small rip cuts (in pine) using a miter saw?

Pretty bad!

Post pics if you try it! (Of your mangled fingers and bits of wood that shot halfway across the shop)

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 24, 2021

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rutibex posted:

But of course

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

CommonShore posted:

How are those Ryobi-tier bandsaws. I keep staring at them whenever I go into the store because of how much trouble I've been having finding a used proper band saw.

Mine is an older unit before they started using the nuclear green. I think part number is EBW4023L, I'm really happy with it for a hobby level bit of gear. I plan on getting a belt for use with knife steels for it made up through a shop near home that does custom bandsaw blades

Rutibex posted:

This gives me a good idea. Mrs McSpergin has a small runty ragdoll that likes hidey holes during the day, if I can make something similar with a bit of insulation she'll love it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Made this jig so I could plane down this end grain cutting board I am making.

Worked pretty well despite the small router bit I was using (19mm or 3/4"), need to get a proper bit for planing. And I'd have less work sanding that pattern out.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Anyone have a link to a guide or article about workshop organization? Mine is always a mess within a few days of cleaning it up, I can't help but think I could do things more efficiently.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Toebone posted:

Anyone have a link to a guide or article about workshop organization? Mine is always a mess within a few days of cleaning it up, I can't help but think I could do things more efficiently.

Fine Woodworking magazine regularly has shop articles and publishes one whole issue a year exclusively about shop space. They have a Fine Woodworking Unlimited plan which gives you online access to their entire back catalog (and a lot more, including most Tauton-published books and a ton of videos) for $100. You might find something insightful in there.

My strategy is for every tool to have a home, and to have too few horizontal surfaces for them to live anywhere else without getting in the way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

One thing that helped me at work (granted, wasn't my shop, so I couldn't leave my poo poo everywhere) was to take 15 minutes at the end of the day and just put everything away.

If it was getting out of hand during the day, I'd spend a few minutes and do a prelim cleanup of tools I don't need ASAP.

It's a little harder at home as I know I'm going to need that thing when I start working on it again and I'm not getting in the way of anyone else.

If you're switching tasks, take that time between tasks.

I've been bad at it lately as I'm new to the hobby and have a bunch of new tools without a permanent home. I think I'm going to repurpose an old tool box until my tool set stops changing as often and I can think of something more permanent.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Mostly I think I need more/better storage, I made a pegboard for frequently used stuff but I've just got a couple shelves for everything else and it tends to pile up. I need to figure out a separate area for my 3D printer stuff too, right now it's just taking up space on the workbench most of the time.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been thinking about this too. I think I'm going to build some kind of mobile/modular tool chest system for the tools I most frequently use. In my own experience of my own habits, the easier it is to put a tool away without thinking about it, the more likely I am to do it. The more I have to move my feet and reach to put it away, the more likely it is to become clutter. Thus, if I can bring a case of tools, in which everything has its own place, right next to me, things will probably go back into the case when I finish with them

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Most of what I have needs to be portable, so I have a main tool box, but then I bring a small subset of what I need with me. I also have some small compartmentalization with my electrical tools being in their own box. And I guess I'm going to start that with my wood working tools.

It doesn't work for everyone, but I like boxes and drawers and having "kits" for different tasks would also work well with my brain. Everything has a place and nothing else can fit there, I'm not the type of person who just fills a drawer with junk that doesn't have another place to go. I was going to do something like that with my router, for example, but I wanna get a more stable pack out so I don't outgrow whatever I buy or make. Maybe another case for sanding. One for drilling. Etc.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I keep all of my woodworking hand tools in an Amazon tool backpack. Another warehouse deal:
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Tool-Bag-Backpack-75-Pocket/dp/B079YRW4YJ

That was its easy to transport if I want to go camping or frame a house with hand tools

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 24, 2021

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Some oil on the cutting board:

Some weird patterns to the oak. I believe it's european oak.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

Some oil on the cutting board:

Some weird patterns to the oak. I believe it's european oak.

I really like how that turned out. Wood has some crazy good patterns there.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Whipped up some quick country cabinets for a client. Going to install the countertop when it arrives and do a little bit of trim in spots. Charged only $1500 because he's going to help me with my foundation soon as the weather is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Blistex posted:

Whipped up some quick country cabinets for a client. Going to install the countertop when it arrives and do a little bit of trim in spots. Charged only $1500 because he's going to help me with my foundation soon as the weather is nice.

drat, need help with anything else?