Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shine posted:

I also found this bucket method video, which we will keep in mind for later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45b2t7fqhjA

I assume this could scale down to a smaller pail at least somewhat effectively, given that something the size of toilet paper can work.

The bucket method is something that mushroom growers use in production settings even. It should work fine in a smaller bucket, but you’ll have a smaller harvest. Not really a problem if you’re just growing them for what you eat. Good for oysters and shrooms that grow vertically like that, not so good for button cap types that prefer to be flatter.

I really liked this video about it myself. It’s from a webstore, but they want you to succeed growing mushrooms at home and it looked like good info. https://youtu.be/QJuh7-05ilo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jhet posted:

The bucket method is something that mushroom growers use in production settings even. It should work fine in a smaller bucket, but you’ll have a smaller harvest. Not really a problem if you’re just growing them for what you eat. Good for oysters and shrooms that grow vertically like that, not so good for button cap types that prefer to be flatter.

I really liked this video about it myself. It’s from a webstore, but they want you to succeed growing mushrooms at home and it looked like good info. https://youtu.be/QJuh7-05ilo

Great info, thanks! I'll watch this during my lunch.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shine posted:

Great info, thanks! I'll watch this during my lunch.

This is not about buckets, just the different types of mushrooms and what they like to grow. You should be able to find a type that will happily grow in or next to your closet tent. I did see one about buckets ages ago, but all the ones I can find are just using vacuum packed bags that are cut open for the mushrooms to grow out of and fruit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

gvibes posted:

I am just starting on this whole gardening thing, but what is the cost/benefit of start from seeds versus buying plants from a greenhouse (or home depot)? Better selection of varieties?

I think I am probably late in the season to start from seeds.
Already answered by a few people, but I'll add that I wouldn't sweat trying to min/max things when you're first starting out (unless min/maxing is part of the attraction in the first place). If your local nursery/garden centre has plants you want to try growing, give 'em a try. See some seeds you want to try? Try 'em. Over time you'll develop a better feel for what you enjoy growing. At this stage of the game you probably don't know what your own personal risk/reward and cost/benefit curves for gardening look like. Or at least when I was putting in my first raised beds I sure as hell didn't.

So my advice would be to let yourself indulge in whatever your first impression impulse buying habits are. Expect that some of those will work out, a lot of them won't and a couple will be disasters. But also understand that that's exactly what would have happened if you studied assiduously, planned compulsively, and took precisely the textbook "right" actions at every stage of the game. Because that's just how backyard gardening goes.

That all said, it's definitely not too late to start from seed in your zone, not counting some plants with narrow planting windows. And as a general rule unless it's the height of summer or the dead of winter (and assuming those are the hottest and coldest parts of the year for you, respectively) you can almost always get in another crop of leafy greens from seed. I grow a lot of bok choy, gai lan, yu choi, mustard greens, and so on, and whenever I'm ordering seed I always get enough for several successive plantings because you can throw a crop in pretty much any time the weather's not too extreme and you've got a bare patch of soil to do it in.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Holy poo poo this mushroom stuff looks awesome I need to do this. Any more experienced mushroom nerds have any suggestions for varietals (and places to buy in Canada)

I eat cremini mushrooms pretty much weekly but what I really want is something that I can plug into my yard (maybe around my fruit trees?) and just go pick it at will and cook without thinking.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I know spores101 is Canadian and terrible. They operate out of the town I live in and there's a good chance that they'll just forget about what I ordered. Don't support them. Mycoboutique is apparently Canadian and looks as though they've got a slightly better setup. I might try them if my mother culture ever dies.

I can't remember what prefers what but I don't think a lot likes live fruit wood. Maybe hen of the woods if you inoculate near the base of the trunk.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

To echo what Jhet said, blueberries are really picky about soil type and drainage. Felder Rushing was talking about this the other day and said blueberries (at least in the south) pretty much just straight up won't grow in heavy clay.

I would not describe my yard as heavy heavy clay, but it is clay heavy. I will work on adding acidification products, but sounds like I may not get some bushes. Which is fine, my raspberries are waking up and that makes me happy. I transplanted raspberry vines from northern Iowa to the St. Louis area in fall and I’m glad to see they survived the winter.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

CommonShore posted:

Holy poo poo this mushroom stuff looks awesome I need to do this. Any more experienced mushroom nerds have any suggestions for varietals (and places to buy in Canada)

I eat cremini mushrooms pretty much weekly but what I really want is something that I can plug into my yard (maybe around my fruit trees?) and just go pick it at will and cook without thinking.

My wine cap instructions talk about making the beds around fruit trees and they're supposed to be pretty dang easy to grow. Check them out - Stropharia rugosoannulata.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Earth posted:

I would not describe my yard as heavy heavy clay, but it is clay heavy. I will work on adding acidification products, but sounds like I may not get some bushes. Which is fine, my raspberries are waking up and that makes me happy. I transplanted raspberry vines from northern Iowa to the St. Louis area in fall and I’m glad to see they survived the winter.

fwiw blueberries took off in the clay here with zero amending on my part. I figured they liked clay because it tends to be acidic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earth posted:

Any recommendation on where to buy some?

You can get small quantities online on Amazon or eBay. A typical treatment for a young bush is a couple hundred grams, so this is fine for home use. Don’t go dumping that much on in one go without testing or at least consulting a table, though.

If you need more of it, you may have to call around. It’s sometimes sold for staining concrete, as a livestock feed supplement, or for making lawns green. One of the independent nurseries near me sells twenty‐kilogram bags for only slightly more than I have paid for two kilograms online.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Shine posted:

I also found this bucket method video, which we will keep in mind for later:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45b2t7fqhjA

I assume this could scale down to a smaller pail at least somewhat effectively, given that something the size of toilet paper can work.

Cool! That's what I was planning to do next, only instead of buckets using some old shopvac bodies I've got kicking around. I thought you had to actually boil the woodchips to sterilize them, pasteurizing as shown in the video would actually be doable with the equipment I've already got. Just need to fire up the woodchipper and order some spawn.

CommonShore posted:

This woman does mail orders from Vancouver Island. The winecap spawn that worked so well for us came from her. The flavour is richer and fuller than Agaricus bisporus, the commercial button/cremini/portabello mushroom. Sort of field mushroom with strong potato undertones.

A word of warning - my wife reacts to them. They burn the roof of her mouth the way over-spiced chili does. So far she's the only person we've found that reacts like this but we always warn anyone new we're giving excess mushrooms to that they should sample a little first, just to make sure. Unfortunate for my wife, but I get to make an utter pig of myself with mushroom omelets for breakfast and lunch.

We didn't deliberately plant the winecaps under the fruit trees but like the blackberries they're headed in that direction now anyway. Unlike button mushrooms they don't mind sunlight and actually make Vitamin D if exposed. Unfortunately you pick on their schedule, not yours, but they last well in the fridge and can be canned*, frozen, or dried.

*Official instructions for canning mushroom warn against canning wild mushrooms. I figure these are domestics even if I didn't buy them from a bin in the SuperStore. #StuffSomeGuyOnTheInternetSaysHeGotAwayWith

The Shiitake, Angelwing, and Chicken of the Woods spawn that failed for us came from a seller on Amazon that had a .ca address and inferred they were Canadian. The actual package was shipped from Ohio. The spawn failure might not have had anything to do with the supplier but I was a bit annoyed with the misrepresentation.

Ainsley
Feb 17, 2011

You must go on a long journey before you can really find out how wonderful home is.
Does anybody have any good tips or tricks for growing hot peppers? My pollinator-friendly wildflowers in the window box are popping up nicely and the yogurt tubs with tomato seeds have sprouted, but my husband's jalapeño and ghost pepper seed tubs haven't shown any pop of green yet. We have the tubs lined up in plastic sprouting containers (they have lids, so they retain the same level of moisture) on top of the radiator cover next to the window to let them bask in the sunlight while their bottoms stay nice and toasty. The internet tells me that they take a good long time to germinate, so I'm not too anxious, but he does have a bit of a black thumb so I'd like to give them all the help they can get. We're in NYC, if region coding is important in this situation?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Ainsley posted:

Does anybody have any good tips or tricks for growing hot peppers? My pollinator-friendly wildflowers in the window box are popping up nicely and the yogurt tubs with tomato seeds have sprouted, but my husband's jalapeño and ghost pepper seed tubs haven't shown any pop of green yet. We have the tubs lined up in plastic sprouting containers (they have lids, so they retain the same level of moisture) on top of the radiator cover next to the window to let them bask in the sunlight while their bottoms stay nice and toasty. The internet tells me that they take a good long time to germinate, so I'm not too anxious, but he does have a bit of a black thumb so I'd like to give them all the help they can get. We're in NYC, if region coding is important in this situation?

I can confirm peppers take longer to germinate and they are more sensitive to temp but it sounds like you have that covered. Otherwise they were easier than tomatoes for me.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ainsley posted:

Jalepenos typically take 6-10 days for me. Ghost pepper seeds can take 2 weeks easily. I have a couple varieties that take 3-4 weeks. As long as the seed tubs are staying around 65-75F, you should be doing well enough to sprout them. Peppers need a good damp medium to sprout, and it's not until they're growing nice and big that they like the wet/dry cycle. I'm not sure what tubs you're using, but the distance between the radiator and where the seeds are in the medium can make it colder where the seeds are than you might be intending.

When I did radiator sprouting, I'd put them in a paper towel and plastic bag to get them to germinate, then put them into the dirt because I wasn't having the 90-95% germ rates I was getting for tomatoes and other things. That's what prompted me to get a seed starting mat, but it's not the end of the world using a radiator either. Just make sure the medium is staying plenty damp, because the radiator cycle will dry it out more than you might expect, even with good humidity in the container. If it's not condensing and falling back onto where the seeds need it, then it won't matter if the air in there is humid enough.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Are there any guides about basic garden bed preparation? I'm in zone 6a, NE Indiana, and have a roughly 20'x12' bare patch in my back yard where a deck used to be. I'd much rather use the space for vegetable gardening. The soil here is mostly clay, so the basic plan of action I'm thinking about is:

--edge/properly define the garden
--add topsoil (I need a few yards for other projects anyways)
--add compost (I already have about a yard finished, and can buy more if I need to)
--other lighteners/additives? Peat moss, maybe?
--Till the hell out of everything, make sure the soil is good and mixed up at least 4-6" deep

Since I'm still starting out, I don't know if I need to worry about soil acidity levels or anything; Is this good, or am I overthinking things? I'm just going to grow basic annual vegetables at this point--carrots, beets, corn, beans, tomatoes, squash, etc. My main concern is that roots (especially root vegetables) can grow properly in the soil, which is why I'm so concerned with making the soil more friable--I can't imagine carrots growing well in clay.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hexigrammus posted:

Cool! That's what I was planning to do next, only instead of buckets using some old shopvac bodies I've got kicking around. I thought you had to actually boil the woodchips to sterilize them, pasteurizing as shown in the video would actually be doable with the equipment I've already got. Just need to fire up the woodchipper and order some spawn.

This woman does mail orders from Vancouver Island. The winecap spawn that worked so well for us came from her. The flavour is richer and fuller than Agaricus bisporus, the commercial button/cremini/portabello mushroom. Sort of field mushroom with strong potato undertones.

A word of warning - my wife reacts to them. They burn the roof of her mouth the way over-spiced chili does. So far she's the only person we've found that reacts like this but we always warn anyone new we're giving excess mushrooms to that they should sample a little first, just to make sure. Unfortunate for my wife, but I get to make an utter pig of myself with mushroom omelets for breakfast and lunch.

We didn't deliberately plant the winecaps under the fruit trees but like the blackberries they're headed in that direction now anyway. Unlike button mushrooms they don't mind sunlight and actually make Vitamin D if exposed. Unfortunately you pick on their schedule, not yours, but they last well in the fridge and can be canned*, frozen, or dried.

*Official instructions for canning mushroom warn against canning wild mushrooms. I figure these are domestics even if I didn't buy them from a bin in the SuperStore. #StuffSomeGuyOnTheInternetSaysHeGotAwayWith

The Shiitake, Angelwing, and Chicken of the Woods spawn that failed for us came from a seller on Amazon that had a .ca address and inferred they were Canadian. The actual package was shipped from Ohio. The spawn failure might not have had anything to do with the supplier but I was a bit annoyed with the misrepresentation.

Thanks. Rad. Ordered. I think what I'm going to do is put some wine caps around my fruit trees, and then inocculate some into a wood chip pile for slowly distributing around the yard in the future.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Meaty Ore posted:

--add compost (I already have about a yard finished, and can buy more if I need to)
--Till the hell out of everything, make sure the soil is good and mixed up at least 4-6" deep

That all looks like a good first season of work to me. The only thing I would add is a soil test of your bed once you've done the above. Will help guide your next steps.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
drat. For anyone in the US - my plugs from fungi perfecti are already at my house. granted they're just the next city over from me but they're also Paul Stamets actual company so i've got high expectations.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 24, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

drat. For anyone in the US - my plugs from fungi perfecti are already. granted they're just the next city over from me but they're also Paul Stamets actual company so i've got high expectations.

That’s the first site I’ve seen with morel spawn in ages (even if it is $70). That’s a hard bookmark from me. It’s only a few more weeks before they start to pop up naturally and I’m super excited and will have to see which farmers market is going to have mushroom sellers.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Disappointment. My raised beds arrived and they didn’t have all the hardware they’re supposed to have. Amazon says my only option is to return them. I’m contacting the third party seller directly, but it’s a Chinese outfit and I will bet they don’t give two shits.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

sowed some spinach, arugula, swiss chard, cabbage and lettuce yesterday here in 7a. I've been itching to actually get plants in the ground as my indoor seedlings have been struggling and we're realistically three weeks out from last frost, at least. This is going to be one of three concrete block beds, plus a little herb garden in the front yard and a plastic bed kit I started with last year.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
This thread is great, really exciting to see all these raised beds going down as we move into this growing season. It's small potatoes by comparison but I moved into a new 1 BR apartment recently for a real job! and I can finally step up my plant game. I picked up 4 or 5 small plants from a local nursery that are outside the door and my sister gave me some clippings of a monstera deliciosa, golden pothos, and spider plant, that are working on their roots in some glasses by the window. Any recommendations for your favorite house plants? This is Bay Area, CA, close to the water and moderate lighting in the apartment throughout the day.

Being in an apartment I don't have any real garden space but I'd like to get an indoor setup going with a couple of plants, maybe tomatoes or peppers or something. To dip my feet in, I thought I'd get one of those "indoor herb gardens" with the lights and start working on some herbs. Is this a dumb idea? Any recommendations on brands/models that are solid?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

King Cocoa Butter posted:

This thread is great, really exciting to see all these raised beds going down as we move into this growing season. It's small potatoes by comparison but I moved into a new 1 BR apartment recently for a real job! and I can finally step up my plant game. I picked up 4 or 5 small plants from a local nursery that are outside the door and my sister gave me some clippings of a monstera deliciosa, golden pothos, and spider plant, that are working on their roots in some glasses by the window. Any recommendations for your favorite house plants? This is Bay Area, CA, close to the water and moderate lighting in the apartment throughout the day.

Being in an apartment I don't have any real garden space but I'd like to get an indoor setup going with a couple of plants, maybe tomatoes or peppers or something. To dip my feet in, I thought I'd get one of those "indoor herb gardens" with the lights and start working on some herbs. Is this a dumb idea? Any recommendations on brands/models that are solid?

Yes, it’s dumb. For the money that those “automagic herb gardens” cost you can put together a comparatively massive, really nice grow light setup, or you can put together a small one for a fraction of that cost.

Tomatoes really need a lot of light, and they take up quite a bit of space without really looking attractive or ornamental the way that, say—a similarly sized dwarf citrus tree will, so growing them indoors isn’t something that people really do. You can start them indoors under light no sweat, but you really want to move them to a balcony or patio ASAP if you want to get any fruit from them.

As far as indoor/indoor-outdoor plants are concerned, you’ve got a wide world of tropical and succulent and even fruit/veg-bearing plants that could do really well for you

I suppose it’s really more of a question of space and intent than anything else. If you were going to drop $100 on an aerogarden, but you have the room to put up some vertical shelves you could easily build a single-column grow rack like mine out of IKEA IVAR + Barrina Amazon LED grow lights for about the same amount. If you have a free window you don’t even necessarily need the lights (but get them, it helps a ton)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

If you're interested in the whole semi-tryhard indoor grow tent approach, then check my post history for my little quarantine garden journey. We live in a condo in Vegas with a constantly shaded balcony, and we keep thick curtains over most of our windows to at least make our brains think that we're keeping the drat heat out, so 95% of what we do (including cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers) is indoors, in a tent.

It's working very well (I'm learning more with each crop, which is very satisfying), but of course the tent isn't much to look at when it's closed (and will make people immediately assume that you're growing weed).

On a side note, we saved the smaller sweet potatoes from out October harvest to jeep in a jar as a houseplant. Almost six months later, and the little buggers still look good and are growing new slips. We decided to plant one slip that had already grown a nice root structure, so it's now happily leafing out in a 14" container. The sweet potatoes we got in October were loving delicious and I can't wait to have more. Except I do have to wait because sweet potatoes need like 4 months :(. I'm spoiled by the spacemaster cucumber, which goes from seed to fruit in like 6 weeks. But whatever, they'll be worth the wait.

On another side note, we received some of our mushroom stuff! While waiting for the toilet paper oyster shroom kit to arrive, I decided to order some ready-to-fruit mushroom kits to compare two fruiting environments. One will fruit in our tent, hanging up top in a plastic grocery bag with some damp vermiculite. The other will be outside the tent in a "shotgun fruiting chamber," ie a cheap clear storage bin from Target with a bunch of holes drilled in it for airflow, and damp vermiculite lining the bottom. Our kits are pink oysters, so they should be fine with the ambient temperature either way. Based on what I've read, I expect the one with higher humidity to fruit better. I suspect that will be the chamber, but I'll measure the humidity levels of both once I get them set up tomorrow. New learning experience, yayyyyy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Aight question, my spacemaster cucumber bush is starting to make me wonder. It has roughly 75 fruits growing in, including about 25 that have flowered and been pollinated. Is there a point where the plant is trying to do "too much" and I should consider pinching some of these? The growth of the ones I pollinated several days ago is going much slower than back when the plant would have like a dozen fruits at a time. Which is understandable, but I do worry that we could end up with a bucket full of tiny fruits instead of 20 or so nice plump ones.

Or maybe I'm wrong and, if I'm patient, it's possible they could eventually grow to a decent size? Our grow season is perpetual (grow tent) and we can fertilize whatever, whenever, but I would think a determinate bush under a bigass LED can only live so long and do so much. I don't mind waiting if it's worthwhile, but I don't want the plant to just put out tons of pitiful fruits that barely grow, which is what the past week has looked like.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Meaty Ore posted:

Are there any guides about basic garden bed preparation? I'm in zone 6a, NE Indiana, and have a roughly 20'x12' bare patch in my back yard where a deck used to be. I'd much rather use the space for vegetable gardening. The soil here is mostly clay, so the basic plan of action I'm thinking about is:

Since I'm still starting out, I don't know if I need to worry about soil acidity levels or anything; Is this good, or am I overthinking things? I'm just going to grow basic annual vegetables at this point--carrots, beets, corn, beans, tomatoes, squash, etc. My main concern is that roots (especially root vegetables) can grow properly in the soil, which is why I'm so concerned with making the soil more friable--I can't imagine carrots growing well in clay.

For getting the soil prepared, double digging is the way. It's a lot of work but very much worth it.

The other tip I'd have is to divide that space into smaller plots (or rows). Once your soil is well dug, you don't want to step on it. The ideal is to not have to reach further than two feet to reach any part of your garden.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shine posted:

Aight question, my spacemaster cucumber bush is starting to make me wonder. It has roughly 75 fruits growing in, including about 25 that have flowered and been pollinated. Is there a point where the plant is trying to do "too much" and I should consider pinching some of these? The growth of the ones I pollinated several days ago is going much slower than back when the plant would have like a dozen fruits at a time. Which is understandable, but I do worry that we could end up with a bucket full of tiny fruits instead of 20 or so nice plump ones.

Or maybe I'm wrong and, if I'm patient, it's possible they could eventually grow to a decent size? Our grow season is perpetual (grow tent) and we can fertilize whatever, whenever, but I would think a determinate bush under a bigass LED can only live so long and do so much. I don't mind waiting if it's worthwhile, but I don't want the plant to just put out tons of pitiful fruits that barely grow, which is what the past week has looked like.

Normally outside I would say just leave it, height and sun and wind will take care of telling it how big to be. Inside, your roots only have X space which means they can only take up Y nutrients in a day. This is still a lot but there’s no harm in pinching some flowers to get better size cucumbers if they’re growing small. I’ve never lived anywhere that cucumbers wouldn’t die as soon as it frosts, so I’m not really sure if they’ll live for years. I’d imagine they can live quite long, and maybe longer with pruning and pinching.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Any recommendations for white LED grow lights?

I know what to look for generally, but there are so many cheap, poorly made ones from no-name vendors on Amazon that it would save me a lot of time and trouble if someone could point to one and say "this has worked for me."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I know what to look for generally, but there are so many cheap, poorly made ones from no-name vendors on Amazon that it would save me a lot of time and trouble if someone could point to one and say "this has worked for me."

I have these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082ZL1Q63/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_G5EBCRMP9609AR806J19?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 in the four-pack (but I’ll probably be getting a six pack or another four pack soon)

Also come in pink and yellow light.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I bought these. They've worked for me and were really easy to put together. My only real irritation with them is they don't have an on/off switch so I gotta unplug them or their surge protector when I want to turn them off.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Y32PFZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We use Tmlapy, available on Amazon. They have some Samsung LEDs that I found commonly recommended, and don't require loving with Aliexpress or whatever.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083MZ5MZD

We have the H180 covering the floor of a 4x3 tent, and the H100 covering the upper shelf and some hanging pots. Might be overkill depending on what you're using them for, but if you want something that can definitely grow fruiting plants from seed to harvest entirely indoors, then this has worked very well for us.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
Anyone ever grown chiltepin peppers from seeds? I really want to try these, but everything I’ve read says they are extremely difficult to germinate and grow. We usually have no problem growing other peppers (currently have jalapeño, Serrano, habanero, and 2 reapers that I can’t seem to kill).

I’ve expanded my garden this year, doubled the size of the fenced area. Hoping this gives us plenty of room for green beans and squash/zucchini. 10 tomato plants, including a single Cherokee purple which I’ve never had before. The corn turned out a little stunted last year, I staggered my plantings by a week each row and o think that was a mistake. I did that to keep it from all maturing at the same time, but this year I’ll just freeze it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JRay88 posted:

Anyone ever grown chiltepin peppers from seeds? I really want to try these, but everything I’ve read says they are extremely difficult to germinate and grow. We usually have no problem growing other peppers (currently have jalapeño, Serrano, habanero, and 2 reapers that I can’t seem to kill).

Yes, they can take longer to germinate and some have a lower germ rate even if you do everything right.

I have a Guatemalan and one called a Tucson chiltepin right now. The Guatemalan had a 100% rate in about 2 weeks. I planted 6 of the Tucson and got one plant. It’s a really strange looking one that. The Guatemalan are pretty tall and nicely sized. They’re getting a big space this summer and I’m excited to see just how large they get. I’m hoping I’ll be able to overwinter them again after summer, but I won’t have a perfect space for it until I build a cupboard for it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Thanks for recs on those lights. I've run out of space on my shelf where I can mount lights, so I probably need to buy another to mount more.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Thanks for recs on those lights. I've run out of space on my shelf where I can mount lights, so I probably need to buy another to mount more.

I’ve got my plants on an IKEA IVAR I half-repurposed from my old place and half-expanded.

Lights are hung from the underside of each wood shelf using a $2 bag of screw-in eyehooks from the hardware store

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice
It's a little early for a garden weekend report but I need a break. I'm cleaning up lava rock. I've been told a previous owner had a section of the yard really sensational with perennial flowers and well tended. Then a subsequent owner took them all out and put in lava rock. Ayep. So I'm in the process of taking out all the lava rock. At this point I've probably moved about 30 five gallon pails of lava rock and I fuckin hate it. I probably have 10-20 pails to go. This is why I need a break. So far the lava rock has been replaced with lilies and Columbine which are easily in my top five flowers I've also got bleeding heart, hostas, jack in the pulpits in there too. I don't know what all will go in there, but the first thing is getting all of the rock taken out and putting in some pavers so I have pathways to get to the flowers for weeding.

That's not veggies so I'll share that my sugar snap peas and regular peas have broken ground and are coming up! Which is very exciting for me. Friday and yesterday I was able to get my raised beds that I ordered online put together. They're in place, but not set in ground yet.

The remaining work for the weekend is load four more pails with lava rock. I found a broken drainage pipe under the lava rock so fixing that is also on the list. After those two items I can put down some pavers for where I've picked up some lava rock and call it a day. There's no new planting for me to do this weekend. Unless after I get the pipe fix and the pavers done I have energy to place the raised beds and get those filled. Then I can plant my sweet and Yukon potatoes.

Earth fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 28, 2021

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Is there a general yard care thread?

I couldn't see one on quick glance, so here goes. I've got a steep ledge/hill on the side of my yard that grows all manner of junk every year. It is a total pain in the rear end to keep from becoming infested with weeds and bugs. Last year a landscaper said that he could put enough mulch on it to keep it manageable, but that didn't work and just cost me a ton in mulch.

The embankment is to steep to mow, and to large to really hand weed effectively. So this year I'm considering using roundup on the whole loving thing to try to keep it under control. Only problem is my wife is vetoing it pretty hard due to the whole cancer thing.

Is the concern of the product more with risk during application, or from contact with it during the following months? Does it run-off? We have two toddlers that wont be playing on the hill at this age, but my wife is still worried they will come in contact with it.

I've got plenty of construction grade PPE to keep me safe during application if that's more the concern, but I can't really find anything on the internet that delineates the risks that I can show my wife.

My only other thought is to cover the whole hill in ugly rear end blue tarps and murder it with solar power for a year or two and then mulch over it after a couple years once I've killed al the seeds in the ground.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Is there a general yard care thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3892694

Glyphosate is safe to touch when dry and breaks down in sunlight on a scale of two days or so. Runoff doesn't happen when you follow the label instructions for application (the label is the LAW for pesticides/herbicides).

All of the concerns are greatly overblown when used in home gamer settings like this. The people getting cancer were doing things like spraying 10s of acres of fields in windy conditions on an open station tractor without PPE, so essentially bathing in it and inhaling it. Spray on a calm, sunny day, low to the ground, wear an N95. Fill/mix/clean your equipment with gloves on and according to label instrcutions/sane practices. Only mix as much product as you will use this one application, use it all in the area, watch where your rinsate from cleaning the equipment ends up. Back on the spot you treated is a good choice.

(I am a PA licensed pesticide applicator from way back when I was a landscaper and I keep the licensing up for my own property)

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 28, 2021

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I'm worries I hosed up my tomato seedlings :( They are all alive but after 3 initial weeks of steady growth they have mostly stalled out for the past 2, and they are all super leggy and none have more than two stubby little true leaves. Upon researching it's either overwatering or my grow light isn't good enough or they need to be fertilized, or all three. I've been distracted by a new job or I would have been better about proactive researching! It's my first time growing tomatoes from seed and I guess they're more sensitive then peppers (all of those look fine).

But now it's warm enough to move them next to the south-facing windows (terribly poorly insulated, so when it's cold I can't keep anything sensitive there). So I will pot them up today and gently fertilize and move them and hope for the best!

I don't need them all to live, I only have garden space to keep maybe 30% of them, but it would be nice to be able to take the rest to a seedling swap next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Earth posted:

At this point I've probably moved about 30 five gallon pails of lava rock and I fuckin hate it. I probably have 10-20 pails to go. This is why I need a break.

I feel your pain on this. The previous owner had some landscaper dump loads of stone on the gardens year after year for reasons I don't entirely fathom. It was all ¾ to 1" which is just large enough to be a nightmare to try and dig a shovel into.

I spent a significant portion of last year digging this poo poo out of the gardens, then a bunch more time refilling everything with replacement soil. Totally worth it, but gently caress am I happy to be starting this season without that hanging over my head.