Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

None of this has done anything about Jag being impossible to injure. It hurts, but hurting a dead man doesn't get you anywhere.

If they want to kill him, they have to hold him down and pry those nails out one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Demiurge4 posted:

Lmao Jagganoth was literally a red herring.

Counting your chickens before they hatch is the least royal thing you can do.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yep i bet ol' jagganoth can't worm his way out of THIS true finishing move

on the other hand, something actually working would actually be a pretty surprising twist at this point

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
at the risk of horrifically owning myself in the coming pages, i think this thread ascribes way more significance to maya than the plot is likely to grant her

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

wiegieman posted:

None of this has done anything about Jag being impossible to injure. It hurts, but hurting a dead man doesn't get you anywhere.

If they want to kill him, they have to hold him down and pry those nails out one by one.

As invulnerability goes, this does seem like the "easy" solution to it.
Who knows, maybe pulling even one nail out will be enough to end the invulnerability entirely?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Flashback....

2 Michael: But beware. Hit that ONE SPOT and all the feathers pop out at once and your existence ends. Take this gift with caution.
Jaggs: Yeah sure bird shrimp, I'll pick a spot no one will guess. It will be so obvious no one would think its possibly correct.
2 Michael: Good, let their psychology work against them.

Jump to now...
Allicio-in-Chains: WTF HIT THE MOST OBVIOUS SPOT FIRST OK

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bilirubin posted:

Flashback....

2 Michael: But beware. Hit that ONE SPOT and all the feathers pop out at once and your existence ends. Take this gift with caution.
Jaggs: Yeah sure bird shrimp, I'll pick a spot no one will guess. It will be so obvious no one would think its possibly correct.
2 Michael: Good, let their psychology work against them.

Jump to now...
Allicio-in-Chains: WTF HIT THE MOST OBVIOUS SPOT FIRST OK

is this how we get the jaggahog

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A big flaming stink posted:

at the risk of horrifically owning myself in the coming pages, i think this thread ascribes way more significance to maya than the plot is likely to grant her

She's been the shadow over Incubus in multiple scenes. "Stolen throne, wicked ways" and Jagganoth rubbing it in. Plus, she was one of the first major named characters introduced in the series, even before Cio.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Nanoha-grade Strategic Friendship Weapon

or, In the Name of the Moon, Motherfucker

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Damnit Incubus, that's a stab, not a cut.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joe Slowboat posted:

She's been the shadow over Incubus in multiple scenes. "Stolen throne, wicked ways" and Jagganoth rubbing it in. Plus, she was one of the first major named characters introduced in the series, even before Cio.

More specifically we've seen her since poo poo kicked off and the stadium got Jagganuked. While everyone is running away, she's headed right for the fight because she knows Incubus is there and she finally has her chance.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
She got more character background than most of the demiurges.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Worth noting that Allison and her friends/allies of convenience can secure a temporary victory here by surpassing Jagganoth's (undoubtedly massive) pain threshold and knocking him out. They might even be able to do that before Maya shows up to ruin everything.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

giant woman pull string

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
isn't jagg's invulnerability directly granted by an angel? didn't he then loudly declare how he was turning against metatron, the boss of the angels?

also i think the old lady is going to die of old age at a dramatic moment, that has been set up since chapter what two now?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

CoolCab posted:

isn't jagg's invulnerability directly granted by an angel? didn't he then loudly declare how he was turning against metatron, the boss of the angels?

They gave him 30 angel feathers, which Jaggs then forged into 30 nails that he drove into his body.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I wonder if Himself will play any role in the finale.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Ham Cheeks posted:

I hope so, It's a shame that the "explore Throne and look at cool stuff" phase of the story is over, I think the devils are neat and I would like to see more of them before it ends.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rhaka posted:

Damnit Incubus, that's a stab, not a cut.

A stab is a cut. It's not just a slice, which is what people usually seem to think of when they think of cutting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ham Cheeks posted:

His request to Allison was specifically "spare a thought for this poor devil", which is oddly mild and nonspecific. also, since he's arguably part of all devils, he's arguably playing a role already, even aside from goading Allison into successfully breaching Mammon's vault

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

His request to Allison was specifically "spare a thought for this poor devil", which is oddly mild and nonspecific. also, since he's arguably part of all devils, he's arguably playing a role already, even aside from goading Allison into successfully breaching Mammon's vault

imo it's basically a chekhov's gun that has to go off before the end

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

W.T. Fits posted:

A stab is a cut. It's not just a slice, which is what people usually seem to think of when they think of cutting.

I'd consider cuts to cover slicing and chopping, stabs/thrusts not so much. Quite different ways of parting flesh, with blades often being good at one at the expense of another.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I think Himself is just certain she's going to be the Rising King and therefore, is getting in on the ground floor.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, K6BD doesn't really run on Nobilis-style a priori magical effects, so I'm not sure if it's actually in an angel's power to make Jagganoth Literally Invulnerable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
They've established that he's immune to physical damage but can still feel pain. That in and of itself is enough for beating on him like this to be meaningful and sensible, provided you think you have a chance of incapacitating an ancient, immensely powerful warrior-god through sheer agony.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

They've established that he's immune to physical damage but can still feel pain. That in and of itself is enough for beating on him like this to be meaningful and sensible, provided you think you have a chance of incapacitating an ancient, immensely powerful warrior-god through sheer agony.

That is weird in itself. Why is he feeling pain if he's not actually being damaged?

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Rand Brittain posted:

That is weird in itself. Why is he feeling pain if he's not actually being damaged?

He still feels sensations things presumably.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It’s the pain of knowing he can never unleash the Jaggahog.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Go poke yourself hard with a pen without breaking your skin.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

Go poke yourself hard with a pen without breaking your skin.

...I'm pretty sure that hurts because my body is being damaged in some way?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
incorrect?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Pressure on nerves triggers "oh gently caress this isn't good". Jaggahog can't physically be damaged but still has all the force on him.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

I mean also this is a fantastical situation. Maybe the Atum Soul Flame doesn't like getting punched with the heat of will and drilled into with the searing sorceries of a demiurge, even if the body is unharmed and the flame yet burns!

Biology is fake and ki rata is real, pain has no necessary connection to nerves, and even with nerves those just attempt to understand the situation and report it, so Jagganoth could be experiencing things the body would consider painful but without being damaged.

A good inverse comparison is that AFAIK there's plenty of things you can do that cause harm but don't ping nerve endings, and therefore do not cause pain. Most of them are internal problems the body doesn't have a warning system set up to register.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Yeah you don't have any pain receptors in your brain. This means that brain surgeons can operate on you even if you're awake and you wouldn't feel anything.

That of course doesn't mean your brain is invincible.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

skaianDestiny posted:

Yeah you don't have any pain receptors in your brain. This means that brain surgeons can operate on you even if you're awake and you wouldn't feel anything.

Do not recommend

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah sure you can let people dig around your brain while awake if you can come to peace with the idea that one errant twitch could fundamentally alter your ability to perceive reality or your very personality. You know, instead of screaming and thrashing in terror like I would.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, pain doesn't directly correspond to damage. It's just a function of having working sensory organs - your pain receptors are simply pressure sensors that go 'oh gently caress this isn't good'.

So if you gave Jagganoth a big poke in that squishy beer gut of his, he'd still go 'ow' even though you haven't actually damaged him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Angel poo poo is exactly the kind of stuff that would cause you to suffer while still protecting you.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I guess this does answer the question of what it's like to punch Jagganoth, though. He's not tough like a slab of steel, he's tough like one of those super-bouncy rubber balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

skaianDestiny posted:

not with that attitude