Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I spent an hour this morning checking everything out because I was worried I was going to find a bunch of burned plants and dead buds but everything seems.. fine?

Not so much here, a great deal of new growth was owned. I don’t feel too badly about any of it though, it was just the new flush and imo they were getting greedy sending it out. Gotta bud that poo poo up, smfh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Not so much here, a great deal of new growth was owned. I don’t feel too badly about any of it though, it was just the new flush and imo they were getting greedy sending it out. Gotta bud that poo poo up, smfh

To be fair only the early risers have really started going hard here (Crocus already flowered, my most precocious Daffodils have flower buds on them but none have opened yet, etc). Everything else is either just barely leafing out or still sleeping. I got the couple of Akebia quinata in the ground only a few days ago and even they seem undamaged :shrug:. I'm guessing it's been warmer there than it has here outside of the freeze so you're probably quite a bit ahead of us.

On the plus side I just finished putting in another ~120 feet of bed and edging and building a retaining wall and everything has already been mulched so all of my major landscaping work for the year is done before poo poo starts really waking up. It looks like all of the nurseries are going to be opening up with outdoor plants within the next two weeks or so and I got a lot of plant to plant.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Hah I forget how far north you are, our daffodils have already been spent for about a week now and are down to just foliage. Hell yeah on the new bed! Let ‘er rip

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

I have a spider plant that is heavily lopsided, and I'm wondering if I have any chance of pruning and adjusting it back into a relatively symmetrical plant. Our cat chewed off a bunch of leaves on one side while it was small, and now it's very large and not in the best shape. I've been putting off dealing with it, which has of course made it worse.

The main problem I think I'm having now is that the plant is twisted where it comes out of the dirt, so new leaves grow straight up until their weight flops them forward, pressing the bottom leaves down and further twisting the plant. I can't really flop them back, because they'll just break.

I watched some videos about improving the health and appearance of spider plants, but they mostly talk about small, sick plants while mine is just large and somewhat ugly.

I stuck a normal size paperback next to it for scale.

Any ideas? Can I just cut it way back and repot it, then hope for the best? I have a couple smaller ones I propagated from this one, and I promise I'm taking much better care of those.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Hah I forget how far north you are, our daffodils have already been spent for about a week now and are down to just foliage. Hell yeah on the new bed! Let ‘er rip
All the azaleas at home are about done but I’m visiting family ~100 miles north and they are in full bloom here and it’s like I’ve gone back in time 2 weeks. There are some nice old Easter lilies here that I think must be some kind of Rain lily/zephyranthes I need to ID and dig and take home.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

you ate my cat posted:

I have a spider plant that is heavily lopsided

I don’t really mind the growth habit of that thing but if it’s bugging you I would just divide it into like four separate plants since it’s so drat huge. Keep the best and give the others away/put them in new spots

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
does anybody have any advice about mounting staghorns?

I’ve got three 4” pots that I got on clearance for a sum total of $12 that are rapidly being outgrown and I’m debating between up-potting and going to wooden mounts

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm pretty sure you basically just tie them on there.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
After a year my choko is starting to produce female flowers

I'm very excited

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve got three 4” pots that I got on clearance for a sum total of $12 that are rapidly being outgrown and I’m debating between up-potting and going to wooden mounts

I mounted a couple on some scrap wood. I soaked the roots in water a bit to loosen up and remove the potting soil. Then I stuffed a bunch of wet peat moss onto the wood, pressed the fern against it, and wrapped twine around the whole thing.

It really is that simple. Try to get it really tight when you initially put it on so that it doesn't start sagging after the twine and moss settle. And be prepared to soak it in water pretty often unless you keep it somewhere humid or use something to hold the moisture in. I was hoping the shield fronds would do that for me, but they haven't helped at all.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

RickRogers posted:

My first general thougts with more later when I read up a little bit on the subject.

Your Juniper looks in pretty bad shape and has a very limited space for the roots to spread out.

I would be careful what you do with the soil around the roots in case by trying to relieve one problem you damage the roots and make the Juniper even more unhappy.

Mulching with park/chippings can cause problems with uptake of nutrients and exacerbate the problem.

Tea fertilizer is perhaps the key here to getting nutrients directly to the roots without disturbing them
I use one from Orus, or Wuxal that are very good for evergreens.

Thanks for the tips. I've hit it with some liquid fertilizer around the apparent end of the root spread.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

Ragtime All The Time posted:

Thanks for the tips. I've hit it with some liquid fertilizer around the apparent end of the root spread.

No prob, I am not sure there is much more you can do except watching to see if there are pests and diseases present.

I cut back some column form Junipers pretty hard around a month ago, as they were starting to fall all over the place.
I cleaned as many of the dead needles out as possible and mulched the roots with compost/gave them liquid feed and a granular organic fertilizer with lots of trace elements in.
They are growing back nicely now, even from deep on the old wood and I hope they keep their shape better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
help (not really) it’s taking over

please ignore the uh “thrifty” light diffuser that was supposed to be temporary and the bag of pork rinds i’m not sure why is on the shelf

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mediaphage posted:

help (not really) it’s taking over

please ignore the uh “thrifty” light diffuser that was supposed to be temporary and the bag of pork rinds i’m not sure why is on the shelf

Do you make those little burned plant picture things? That is very neat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do you make those little burned plant picture things? That is very neat.

yeah i did that thanks!

in fairness i did not create the original botanical drawing, some old dead guy did that

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I love spring propagating. My lucerna is my favourite even if she's not rare and she's gonna be popping this summer after these guys get added back to the huge pot and take off.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

I love spring propagating. My lucerna is my favourite even if she's not rare and she's gonna be popping this summer after these guys get added back to the huge pot and take off.

love me some variegations

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Between the banana shrub/Magnolia/Michelia figo, orange blossoms, old roses, and fig I mowed part of yesterday (smells like coconut or satinwood?) my yard smelled incredible this evening. The wind would shift and the smell would switch from banana to orangeflower to roses. That banana shrub has grown like crazy. I planted it as a 3 gal plant 4? years ago and it's at least 8' tall by now. Well drained old swamp bottomland dirt turns mediocre gardeners into great gardeners.

I've been reading this book by Felder Rushing and I'm really enjoying it and I think some folks in this thread would too. https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/slow-gardening/ It turns out what I've been doing in my yard over the past 7 years is what Felder calls Slow Gardening, the garden equivalent of the Slow Food movement. Go plant a bush or stick a birdbath out in the yard, then plant another bush, then decide it would be easier to mow if they were connected, so make a bed, and plant some more stuff in it. Realize you hate mowing but like having some grass to walk on, so make more things into connected beds and use the grass as a carpet/pathway. Tear up your front yard and plant a vegetable garden if you feel like it. Felder always does good, chill philosophizing, and this book seems to be more of that than his other books. It's got me ruminating on garden design and maybe I'll finally make a post about it and would love to read others' thoughts on that! I also got his new book about maverick gardeners but haven't had a chance to dig into it yet.

Plant pics for the plant thread-Some neighbors tore out their really lovely grandma yard last year (including some really nice camellias :catstare:) because they wanted lower maintenance and more room for kids to run around which I get, but it made me a little sad. They did have the good sense to save and give away the crinums and amaryllis and I snagged a few. A year later, there are some very erect and engorged plant sex organs happening in my yard. Please ignore the mess, I have been extremely lazy this winter/spring :
Crinum of some sort (very early-hope it multiplies):

P. sure these are red amaryllis/St. Joseph's day lily. I guess I'll find out tomorrow?

I think' I'm gonna start collecting Crinums and make the bed on the front corner of my house just be crinumtopia or somethin. There's a million varieties of them and they are tough as poo poo.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/slow-gardening/ It turns out what I've been doing in my yard over the past 7 years is what Felder calls Slow Gardening, the garden equivalent of the Slow Food movement. Go plant a bush or stick a birdbath out in the yard, then plant another bush, then decide it would be easier to mow if they were connected, so make a bed, and plant some more stuff in it.

I'll have to check this out. This is only my second year here but it's kind of what I'm already doing. I put in some trees and shrubs last year and then linked them all up with a bed this year. Someday all the lawn will be gone; what's it good for anyway?

I'm super not into gardens where people plant tons of the same six or seven plants, so trying to do it all at once doesn't really make sense.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

About the only good thing lawn does for me is provide a small area during a small time window that I can walk barefoot comfortably. Narrow time frame, because it's only lush and green during warm temperatures for a short time before it dries out and gets "pokey" on the feet. The yarrow patches in the lawn stay green and soft far longer than the grass.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Looks like our cherry blossoms survived the hard freeze last week :woop:

Buds were at a critical, fragile state of development when the forecast was sub-25 for two nights, so we wrapped the tree in burlap. Seems to have worked (or else the buds were in a less fragile state than we assumed), since otherwise the prognosis was 90% loss of blossoms. Since this is a fruit-producing cherry tree (Stella), we didn’t want to miss out on cherries (or blossoms). Next year the tree will probably be too big for wrapping so hopefully we don’t have any crazy cold late freezes like that.

So back story, since I don’t think I’ve posted in any of the horticulture/landscaping threads (started planting trees and flowers right around the time of the troubles with forum ownership but I did post in the Discord):

Our house, which we’ve been in for over two years now, came with a yard almost completely devoid of landscaping - a single forsythia in front and some poorly maintained mature trees in back, along with weed-ridden lawn full of squill (which I regard as a feature). Last summer we used our stimulus bucks to buy a bunch of trees (and perennials).

The crown jewel is the large Coral Bark:

My intent was to get an Osakazuki, but then I saw this tree, and since Coral Barks are also uprights and get to about the same size, I changed my mind. Helped that this one had 10+ years of growing already done.

We also got the cherry, which I’m determining placement for in this pic - was tired of looking at the mess across the street that is the fire escapes, too many cars, and a bunch of garbage cans and garbage so I wanted the tree to be right in my line of sight from where I typically sit on the porch.

Also got dogwood trees:

Planting the dogwoods compelled us to clean up the large trees. Simply sawing off all the dead branches made a huge difference, and now we have dogwoods as pretty understory trees. I later planted some ferns and hostas and other shade things. Still waiting to see how the perennials did because digging through that soil was like digging through steel wool and required a pickaxe. This summer I want to try to loosen it up more and add some new topsoil.

Not pictured: Profusion crabapple. Planted one of these outside the kitchen to block the view of a neighbor’s perpetual construction zone gravel yard. In retrospect a cherry or plum would have been better for this spot because it’s about 30’ away from a large black walnut tree. So far it seems fine, but I’ll be watching it. It dropped a lot of leaves last summer, but I attribute that to transplant shock. It’s starting to leaf out and so far looks good. But this means my dream of having apple and pear trees in the backyard has been dashed :(.

I’m kind of addicted to trees now and want to buy more. Yard is tiny and I already planted five trees so I’ll have to get dwarf varieties (probably more Japanese maples, mostly).

B33rChiller posted:

About the only good thing lawn does for me is provide a small area during a small time window that I can walk barefoot comfortably. Narrow time frame, because it's only lush and green during warm temperatures for a short time before it dries out and gets "pokey" on the feet. The yarrow patches in the lawn stay green and soft far longer than the grass.

My lawn in early spring :buddy::

The underlying grass is quite soft (just full of weeds), but I can’t run around barefoot because every time I garden I dig up broken glass :mad:.

PS: all the succulent chat has made me worried that I unwittingly sentenced a bunch of succulents to death last fall :ohdear:. Husband and I went to SoCal to help out with his brother’s wedding (which had gone from a big thing at a venue to a tiny backyard DIY thing with not a lot of notice). I took it upon myself to do flowers, which included both cut flowers and some live potted arrangements. The bride loves succulents so I bought a bunch of succulents (including lovely trailing ones) and put them in pots with other flowers to place around the patio. Pots were overstuffed on purpose to make them look established and paired with annuals that had very different care requirements, all in conventional potting soil. Bride took several of the pots home with her and I’m sure she repotted as needed because she knows succulents, but the rest of them I left in the care of my MIL (she loooooved the pots I assembled and wanted them as permanent additions to the patio). I instructed her to move/repot some of the stuff to give everything some breathing room and pay attention to the plants’ different care requirements, but she has kind of a brown thumb so all the succulents are probably dead now :smith:.

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??
Cool stuff! I too love planting trees and should stop soon before it is too late.

Here is something one of my customers decided to put into their garden after my last visit:

(Slightly :nws:)

I did suggest a few types of tree to them last time, but I guess they just didn't quite understand me.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Oil of Paris posted:

Old but drat at $50 on a single rose @__@

Its $50 in our foolish foreign currency :)

$35 in US dollars including fast delivery, lovely box, note and picture. I was very excited to find you could get green roses. The entire purchase was a catastrophe, they even included a photo of the incorrect rose! I have gained a refund though, so there is that.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Extra row of tits posted:

$35 in US dollars including fast delivery, lovely box, note and picture. I was very excited to find you could get green roses. The entire purchase was a catastrophe, they even included a photo of the incorrect rose! I have gained a refund though, so there is that.

get your flowers locally my friend! support local plant businesses during this difficult time and pick your plant yourself

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
An excellent idea, I am learning how to grow assorted things at the moment. Ive never really had a lot of luck growing any plants but currently have a successful Venus fly trap, mint plant, and at least one of my swan plants is alive.

I try to follow the guides carefully but it often goes very wrong. I have just got a garden box(?) which I am growing different colored carrots in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

An excellent idea, I am learning how to grow assorted things at the moment. Ive never really had a lot of luck growing any plants but currently have a successful Venus fly trap, mint plant, and at least one of my swan plants is alive.

I try to follow the guides carefully but it often goes very wrong. I have just got a garden box(?) which I am growing different colored carrots in.

fly traps are p. hard, good luck my dude

get thee some of the many charming succulents that get mentioned here

or a monstera

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Don't feel bad if you're not some amazing gardener growing tons of roses either. Roses can be fickle plants and will sometimes just die when they looked perfectly happy the year before. Just enjoy any carrots you get and try to not let your mint plant take over the world.

But your local florist would probably love to help you put together some beautiful things and would be able to help you find great colors and flowers that will make the person you're giving them to really happy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
whenever you feel the urge to buy your partner a $50 flower buy her a $50 giant tropical plant instead

no but seriously, my M. deliciosa is total basic bitch poo poo but it’s seriously one of my favorite, like “it gets saved from a fire”, top 5 plants. I love that giant jungle-rear end motherfucker.

So easy to grow, just water it weekly or when the leaves look sad, repot when it’s obvious, prune and stake up as it gets big and wide, and then just enjoy it as it takes over a corner of your home

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

If you’re able to, try growing some stuff outside in the ground. I kill houseplants at an alarming rate but I can grow all kinds of poo poo outside where nature does the watering

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you’re able to, try growing some stuff outside in the ground. I kill houseplants at an alarming rate but I can grow all kinds of poo poo outside where nature does the watering

that also works with houseplants in the summer assuming they don’t get too hot and dry

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Jhet posted:

try to not let your mint plant take over the world.

I had been wondering about this, I love mint, the smell is easily one of my favorites. I keep a small one by by bed for the scent. The plant I have in my garden I cut back severely but as you said, and I have literally remarked to my partner, it seems to be attempting world domination!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

I had been wondering about this, I love mint, the smell is easily one of my favorites. I keep a small one by by bed for the scent. The plant I have in my garden I cut back severely but as you said, and I have literally remarked to my partner, it seems to be attempting world domination!

if you get a monstera they can fight

like kaiju

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Hell yeah, glad you got a refund!! I won’t dare shame for buying expensive plants, I just tend to like mine alive lol

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

There are some replacements you could get that would capture much of the scent but not quite same the insane invasiveness. Catmint (nepeta) is an excellent plant (WILL STILL GET V BIG), pollinators love it and makes a big rear end beautiful minty bush that will mercifully die to ground every winter. It will still spread nicely via rhizomes so you’ll have plenty to give your friends. “Walkers low” is the go to cultivar but there are plenty of others that don’t get so fuckin big

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I put all the houseplants on the porch in the summer so they get more light than they would being stuck inside our dank Victorian. Actually saw a neighbor putting out a bunch of plants on their porch this afternoon. The tropical ones need to stay in their pots because winter, but otherwise I love having buttloads of flowers in the ground - I have hydrangeas, day lilies, irises, and Black-eyed Susans in front and hostas, ferns, foxgloves and more in back.

As for individual cut flowers for $35 USD a pop, yeah, go to a local florist. For the aforementioned DIY wedding, I got seven 5-gallon buckets full of flowers and decorative greens for like $250 from a local wholesaler. A wholesaler is probably not going to sell you a single rose, but a great resource if you need to do a lot of decorating. Also got to learn what all the flowers I bought were called in Spanish :3: - when we picked up, the abuela was manning the shop and my husband speaks Spanish so the whole exchange happened in Spanish.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you get a monstera they can fight

like kaiju

My only beef with your love of monstera is that at least for me it became a painfully big indoor plant. My wife ultimately made me take it outside one year where it got even bigger and then promptly died to the pot when I forgot about it during winter. I ended up giving it away next spring in a “maybe it lives and you like it?” style handoff and well He Is Risen. Will post pics when I get back to an actual computer. Tough, baller plants with great aesthetic appeal but you’ve gotta have the room

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

My only beef with your love of monstera is that at least for me it became a painfully big indoor plant. My wife ultimately made me take it outside one year where it got even bigger and then promptly died to the pot when I forgot about it during winter. I ended up giving it away next spring in a “maybe it lives and you like it?” style handoff and well He Is Risen. Will post pics when I get back to an actual computer. Tough, baller plants with great aesthetic appeal but you’ve gotta have the room

or just prune them diligently.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

or just prune them diligently.

Not my bag. go buck wild outdoors all u want, but I personally can’t add worrying about pruning poo poo inside to my already fairly fuckin deep plant chore list

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

Not my bag. go buck wild outdoors all u want, but I personally can’t add worrying about pruning poo poo inside to my already fairly fuckin deep plant chore list

I mean, I do bonsai so pruning + thinking about pruning is a major part of my plant hobby

but bruh you do it like once in a blue moon when you see the plant getting too big. You just hack off the leaves you don’t want at the base, and you can chop the vine up between nodes

plant propagates from cuttings like crazy, or you can just toss em/give em away

but yeah, I’m probs not gonna bring mine outside. It’s already borderline too big to comfortably move in the car without loving up some leaves or making a huge mess/having to put the sucker sideways.

A bunch of the euphorbias will go out tho, once it stops going below 50.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, I do bonsai so pruning + thinking about pruning is a major part of my plant hobby

but bruh you do it like once in a blue moon when you see the plant getting too big. You just hack off the leaves you don’t want at the base, and you can chop the vine up between nodes

plant propagates from cuttings like crazy, or you can just toss em/give em away

Definitely not disagreeing on ease, just for a plant newb I can easily see a monstera getting to a “fuckin god drat this bitch is big” tier. They should know that it’s no slouch and not particularly well-behaved given to its own devices without intervention. Maybe mine was quite happy but it got beefy very quickly. Perhaps also a difference in philosophy, I very much think of indoor pruning as major rear end pain but if that’s what you like then that’s that lol