Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

A bunch of the euphorbias will go out tho, once it stops going below 50.

Oh yeah I pop those euphorbias outside within the next week tops. Germane to discussion, those guys are my ideal houseplant haha

Edit: edited to get comboomer quote in. how do I keep gettin these snoipes... :synpa:

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Oil of Paris posted:

Definitely not disagreeing on ease, just for a plant newb I can easily see a monstera getting to a “fuckin god drat this bitch is big” tier. They should know that it’s no slouch and not particularly well-behaved given to its own devices without intervention. Maybe mine was quite happy but it got beefy very quickly. Perhaps also a difference in philosophy, I very much think of indoor pruning as major rear end pain but if that’s what you like then that’s that lol

well, another way to look at it is that it’s a very high-reward plant for somebody starting out or intermediate.

It’s arguably bulletproof if you give it what it wants, it grows readily, and it forms striking looking, large foliage that quickly makes a space look well occupied. Also it’s really cheap for what you get. Other big plants like palms are much less accommodating

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Some of my roses seem to be struggling so I think I'm gonna move them to the back yard and expand my zinnia/plumbago/phlox zone into full on pollinator/butterfly garden. I have some native perennial sunflowers someone gave me to stick in there-what else should I be planting? At least for this year, preferably things that grow easy from scattered seed and can handle a hot, wet summer. Might get into some perennials next yr when I have more time to plan.

Might also just leave it as a 15x15 blob of zinnias, I dunno.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Some of my roses seem to be struggling so I think I'm gonna move them to the back yard and expand my zinnia/plumbago/phlox zone into full on pollinator/butterfly garden. I have some native perennial sunflowers someone gave me to stick in there-what else should I be planting? At least for this year, preferably things that grow easy from scattered seed and can handle a hot, wet summer. Might get into some perennials next yr when I have more time to plan.

Might also just leave it as a 15x15 blob of zinnias, I dunno.

My initial recommendations are fast growing perennials bc they’re so easy and tough. I will re-recommend nepeta on this. I’ve never seen more bees on a plant before. It would grow well in the time frame too. You could throw down some monarda, fall aster would have time to get established as well. All of these would be easy to divide later. If you just want something quick from seed, throw down some bachelor button, will very quickly make large flowering plants (and you will never be rid of it). Could always get fancy and buy some foxglove that’s about to bloom, collect the seed to spread

Ok Comboomer posted:

well, another way to look at it is that it’s a very high-reward plant for somebody starting out or intermediate.

It’s arguably bulletproof if you give it what it wants, it grows readily, and it forms striking looking, large foliage that quickly makes a space look well occupied. Also it’s really cheap for what you get. Other big plants like palms are much less accommodating

I hear ya, and totally see your point. I think I had such a strong opinion bc I see so many people talking about monstera these days in their apartments and I always think “wow, that big rear end thing?” I can definitely see the reward in being able to grow something as impressive as that in a small space though, for sure

Oil of Paris fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 7, 2021

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Oh Kaiser, meant to ask since you’re a rose guy: do you have any idea what cultivar that crazy $50 green rose might’ve been?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

Oh Kaiser, meant to ask since you’re a rose guy: do you have any idea what cultivar that crazy $50 green rose might’ve been?

yeah and it’s super played out and overexposed in advertising and on social media so, like I said, basic bitch plant

once those fabled cheap variegateds come out expect there to be a big sink in its popularity

or maybe not, it’s a really striking plant

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

No I really don’t know anything about hybrid tea roses. Old fashioned roses are all I know anything about because I’m lazy and they’re easy (theoretically).

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah and it’s super played out and overexposed in advertising and on social media so, like I said, basic bitch plant

once those fabled cheap variegateds come out expect there to be a big sink in its popularity

I was briefly confused bc you quoted my rose post but not the monstera one hah. But yeah, pretty played out. They’re like standard issue for peoples minds about “a plant that I desire due to Instagram.” My secretary, who knows literally nothing about plants, told me the other day that she wants a monstera. I don’t think they’ll fall out of popularity bc they’ve just gotten so god drat big in the cultural consciousness, and in our apartments lol

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Oil of Paris posted:

I was briefly confused bc you quoted my rose post but not the monstera one hah. But yeah, pretty played out. They’re like standard issue for peoples minds about “a plant that I desire due to Instagram.” My secretary, who knows literally nothing about plants, told me the other day that she wants a monstera. I don’t think they’ll fall out of popularity bc they’ve just gotten so god drat big in the cultural consciousness, and in our apartments lol

the closest thing most people will get to owning a venusaur

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

No I really don’t know anything about hybrid tea roses. Old fashioned roses are all I know anything about because I’m lazy and they’re easy (theoretically).

Ahh lol, that’s exactly where I ended up when I tried to Google it. It started to veer me into hybrid tea territory and I said gently caress. THAT.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Alright bedtime (they never warn you enough about how much a kid fucks up your nights) but just gotta share that my baptisia arachnifera survived the winter and is sending out two new buds already. So pumped, it’s a very endangered species and I love the eucalyptus style leaves with understated pale yellow flowers. What a treat to have in the back

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

The big leaf with the splits is still the rage by me. I’ve been considering keeping the core plant and cutting off three big 4 leaf plus root system cuttings and selling them on Facebook for 35-50$ each. I probably could because they’re really giant leaves already and would make some apt dweller with not great light very happy.

We already split it into an ideal version and the big monster uncontrolled one and I just want that 1/4 of my dining room back.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Ive very much enjoyed my short time in this thread, thank you all for being so welcoming and helpful. Is this the thread for asking new guy vegetable question in? I'm pretty sure most of my questioned could be Googled, but this is much more enjoyable.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Extra row of tits posted:

Ive very much enjoyed my short time in this thread, thank you all for being so welcoming and helpful. Is this the thread for asking new guy vegetable question in? I'm pretty sure most of my questioned could be Googled, but this is much more enjoyable.

Plants that you eat tend to be in this other thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3085672

Where many of the people posting are the same anyway.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Extra row of tits posted:

I have to say your username/posting style combo is delightful.

In plant news I have successfully repotted my medusa head thing in terracotta! I have realised that the light I've got is not a very clever idea for it since it has to stab into the soil and the plant is very horizontal and will keep growing outwards, so I should really get a little lamp on a stand that I can move directly over it instead. Oh well, a problem for future me.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Oil of Paris posted:

Definitely not disagreeing on ease, just for a plant newb I can easily see a monstera getting to a “fuckin god drat this bitch is big” tier. They should know that it’s no slouch and not particularly well-behaved given to its own devices without intervention. Maybe mine was quite happy but it got beefy very quickly. Perhaps also a difference in philosophy, I very much think of indoor pruning as major rear end pain but if that’s what you like then that’s that lol

Indoor pruning can be annoying but w/ a plant like a monstera everyone is going to want a cutting. I've got a bunch of friends with spring and summer birthdays and this year I've just stopped buying gifts and started giving rooted cuttings. And so far the reception has been great.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

I'm kind of on this wavelength for outdoor plants. I prune the younger trees because I'd rather spend a few minutes pruning now than spend $$$ having a professional fix those issues later, everything else I let sort itself out. Anything that keeps having pest problems or just doesn't do well I'll give a move if it seems like a too much/not enough sun problem, but beyond that life is too short to baby plants that won't ever be happy in your garden. I know people who are in their gardens spending ages watering the poo poo out of things every day which just seems like poor plant choice.

Indoor plants get a lot more love because I find picking dead leaves off of tiny succulents with tweezers relaxing, though other than the Pothos that's constantly trying to take over the floor in my hallway I don't have anything that needs pruning. I genuinely don't comprehend how it grows so quickly from the miniscule amount of light coming through an east-facing window that's half covered. I used a couple of Christmas light clips to train some of it on the wall so I wouldn't have to do so much pruning and now it's climbing the paint unaided.

Oil of Paris posted:

Alright bedtime (they never warn you enough about how much a kid fucks up your nights) but just gotta share that my baptisia arachnifera survived the winter and is sending out two new buds already. So pumped, it’s a very endangered species and I love the eucalyptus style leaves with understated pale yellow flowers. What a treat to have in the back

I've never seen these before—It's a very handsome shrub that doesn't look anything like Baptisia?

Organza Quiz posted:

In plant news I have successfully repotted my medusa head thing in terracotta! I have realised that the light I've got is not a very clever idea for it since it has to stab into the soil and the plant is very horizontal and will keep growing outwards, so I should really get a little lamp on a stand that I can move directly over it instead. Oh well, a problem for future me.
Congrats!

Unless it's some kind of integrated nonsense you can probably just move the bulb into a different fixture.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 7, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I like pruning.

It means my plant is growing, and now I get to direct its development.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
good morning

really eager for it to warm up 5-10 degrees so I can move the schefflera and spekboom prebonsai outside and regain some grow light real estate

the schefflera were separated and potted about 3 weeks ago and badly needed the light boost to properly root and fill out. Hopefully they’ll get big and fat enough that I can cut them back at the end of summer and start styling them

the Haworthiopsis tessellata in front has a pretty impressive flower spike going ATM, but it’s still only about half as long as the one that the tessellata behind it had last week—before it suffered an injury and probable cavitation incident that caused it to collapse before I could snap a good photo of it

Wallet posted:

Unless it's some kind of integrated nonsense you can probably just move the bulb into a different fixture.

yeah just get an inexpensive clamp base or whatever. I have one of mine in an articulating desk lamp I found in my basement

Edit: oh yeah, and the ficus. That sucker needs to go outside

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

good morning
Your Fenestraria rhopalophylla is looking much plumper/happier than mine. I got what was ostensibly a 6"er a few months ago that was (as seems very common, unfortunately) really a bunch of much smaller plants jammed in the same pot. It seems to be taking a long time to really root in :(.

That's a chonky Gymnocalycium graft as well. I always see the little tiny ones in Home Depot or whatever but I've never messed with grafts. Did you find one that developed or have you been growing it for a long time?

Ok Comboomer posted:

the Haworthiopsis tessellata in front has a pretty impressive flower spike going ATM, but it’s still only about half as long as the one that the tessellata behind it had last week—before it suffered an injury and probable cavitation incident that caused it to collapse before I could snap a good photo of it

Some of mine were also flowering recently (even indoors they seem to do it at the beginning of spring pretty consistently) but it's a bitch to get a photo of them because of the silly length of the spikes they put out. If the flower is in frame and in focus the plant is not unless you're pulled way back. I wonder why they evolved to have such a long peduncle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Your Fenestraria rhopalophylla is looking much plumper/happier than mine. I got what was ostensibly a 6"er a few months ago that was (as seems very common, unfortunately) really a bunch of much smaller plants jammed in the same pot. It seems to be taking a long time to really root in :(.

That's a chonky Gymnocalycium graft as well. I always see the little tiny ones in Home Depot or whatever but I've never messed with grafts. Did you find one that developed or have you been growing it for a long time?

I got it...I wanna say 1-2 months ago? It was actually at Home Depot, and I happened to be there in the evening when they were moving the plants out.

It was already basically close to that size (4”) when I got it (though it seems to really love being under the grow light), about a dollar or two more expensive than the “regular” grafts that are smaller and much less spectacularly colored.

I haven’t seen that particular kind of gymno since, but if I do I’ll probably try to grab 1-2 more, hopefully in other colors (there were some really nice looking dark red/purples, oranges, and yellows, but this was probably the most striking and I didn’t want to get more than one without trying it out for a bit first)

I got lucky with this one. It was the best of its particular bunch, and while I regret not grabbing one or two more that I liked, I wasn’t there to spend $15 on grafted gymnos and a lot of them already had signs of the ubiquitous Home Depot overwatering syndrome (in fact, IIRC, there was one I initially liked more but it had a touch of rot on some of the pups) and the ones that hung around looked visibly deteriorated two weeks later. I had to dry this guy out under the light for a good month or so before watering.

But I say definitely get one. I resisted for years because they seemed trashy to me for some reason (like getting a goldfish)...kind of how I feel about a lot of sempervivium/escheveria/etc that were everywhere last year. Like they’re perfectly lovely plants but I just see them being sold for $5 by the bajillions. Like the succulent equivalent of seeing string lights from Target in a girl’s Instagram.

But I’m totally over the moon with mine, you can see it across the room and it glows like a fat little mushroom cloud under the light. Total tonal break from the prebonsai and type specimens that make up the bulk of my menagerie.

I feel the same way about my crested euphorbia.

WRT the Fenestraria rhopalophylla, I think I got that the same night I got the Gymno, and it’s been through serious ups and downs and has now only recently begun to stabilize and really thrive—again I owe it all to the grow light. Single best thing for plants inside the house. My quasi-diy grow rack has been a 10/10 certified hit this winter. Pretty much every plant that lived in it has some degree of sun stress and thicc growth

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

But I say definitely get one. I resisted for years because they seemed trashy to me for some reason (like getting a goldfish)...kind of how I feel about a lot of sempervivium/escheveria/etc that were everywhere last year. Like they’re perfectly lovely plants but I just see them being sold for $5 by the bajillions. Like the succulent equivalent of seeing string lights from Target in a girl’s Instagram.

If I saw a gymno graft that nice I'd probably have to pick it up, but I've never seen one in person that didn't look more like a tiny plastic tchotchke than a plant. I like Sempervivum but I don't think I'd ever grow it indoors (there's a decent number in my garden), and my single (slightly etiolated) Echeveria is enough for me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

WRT the Fenestraria rhopalophylla, I think I got that the same night I got the Gymno, and it’s been through serious ups and downs and has now only recently begun to stabilize and really thrive—again I owe it all to the grow light. Single best thing for plants inside the house. My quasi-diy grow rack has been a 10/10 certified hit this winter. Pretty much every plant that lived in it has some degree of sun stress and thicc growth

I built some new shelf things so I could grow more succulents indoors over the winter but I'm still figuring out what wants to be where (there's different height levels so I have some room to maneuver for plants that want different amounts of light) and how much water they need (it turns out putting full-sun levels of grow lighting on things makes them dry out faster). The plants I was already growing that I moved to them so they could get more light all seem to be doing well. Most of the rest is still too new to have really settled in.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I have my first choko !

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

First daffodils are opening here. I think these are the cheap ones I got at Home Depot because there's no tag on them.

Also I have a pot full of like 10 Hoya carnosa f. compacta and one of them decided to flower even though none of the others show any signs of it :shrug:

They look like they're made of fondant.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 10, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I just watched a bigass limb from a tree in our neighbor’s yard fall on our house. Thankfully it doesn’t look to have done any damage, but I’m a little worried that another limb might come down and leave a hole in our roof.

What is the protocol here, besides getting photos of the downed limb? Do we tell the neighbor to call a pruning service, or is this one of those things we can call the city about and let them handle it? The limb is resting on a power line a little bit, so...... okay yeah deffo gonna call the city. I think I answered my own question.

(btw Kaiser Schnitzel told me I could post here again as of April 6th)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You're legally responsible for the overhanging limbs on your property. Your neighbor doesn't have much say in it unless pruning them would damage the health of the tree.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

So I just watched a bigass limb from a tree in our neighbor’s yard fall on our house. Thankfully it doesn’t look to have done any damage, but I’m a little worried that another limb might come down and leave a hole in our roof.

What is the protocol here, besides getting photos of the downed limb? Do we tell the neighbor to call a pruning service, or is this one of those things we can call the city about and let them handle it? The limb is resting on a power line a little bit, so...... okay yeah deffo gonna call the city. I think I answered my own question.

(btw Kaiser Schnitzel told me I could post here again as of April 6th)

Tree Law is like a whole messy thing, but basically and very generally, pretend your property line goes straight up and any part of that tree that's on your side of the line is basically your problem and your responsibility and you can cut it off unless it would kill the tree. If you think parts of the tree that are on your neighbor's property are a danger, write them a letter saying that and if it falls on your house maybe you can sue them or their insurance or something. If it's touching a power line, call the power company. Depending on what power line it's touching, it may be your responsibility-some places the line from the pole to your house is your problem, some places it's the power company's problem. Unless the tree is in a city right of way, I don't think they're going to be much help.

It's worth talking to your neighbor about-if you're gonna chop of a big chunk off it on your side of the line, they might rather take the whole thing down and split the cost or something.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
My Mushroom adventures continue

I made some Mushroom block last night

Scaling up 300ml of spawn to 1L of bulk seems reasonable

Fingers crossed I avoid contamination

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Tree Law is like a whole messy thing, but basically and very generally, pretend your property line goes straight up and any part of that tree that's on your side of the line is basically your problem and your responsibility and you can cut it off unless it would kill the tree. If you think parts of the tree that are on your neighbor's property are a danger, write them a letter saying that and if it falls on your house maybe you can sue them or their insurance or something. If it's touching a power line, call the power company. Depending on what power line it's touching, it may be your responsibility-some places the line from the pole to your house is your problem, some places it's the power company's problem. Unless the tree is in a city right of way, I don't think they're going to be much help.

It's worth talking to your neighbor about-if you're gonna chop of a big chunk off it on your side of the line, they might rather take the whole thing down and split the cost or something.

Wellllll poo poo, this is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately this tree and all of its limbs are totally inaccessible from my house (too high up) or from the street (too far for a box lift to reach), so pretty much the only way to get to it is from the neighbor’s yard. I was hoping the city might have jurisdiction to take care of it without us having to talk to the neighbors or get their permission, partly because I’m always paranoid about setting off a neighbor feud, but I guess not.

So I guess step 1 is gonna be to talk to the neighbors and ask them to help cover the cost of removing the downed limb from out roof and/or let someone into their yard to take care of any other potential problem branches? What’s my next option if they say no?

Bonus lovely photos of the tree on our roof

Kinda hard to see it from this angle due to the half-dead camelia bush blocking the view

This angle is a lot better

I tried to get a pic of the limb hanging on the power line and this was about the best I could do

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 11, 2021

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Big plant haul from NC State horticulture frat:

Ajuga reptans
Clematis “Lucifer”
Unknown hinoki cypress
Ratibida columnifera (Prairie coneflower)
Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine'
Agave lophantha ‘Splendida’
Unknown carex?
Unknown fancy fancy fern
Aster novi-belgii 'Alert'
Polygonatum odoratum ‘variegatum’
Another hellebore lol
Yellow dicentra (bleeding heart)
Cotoneaster salicifolius 'scarlet Leader'
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu’

This was such a steal on price I can’t even brag, def doing it again next year. Average plant price <7 and a lot of this poo poo is huge mature plants

SPRING IS HERE U FUCKIN NERDS

TIME TO DIG A HOLE

RickRogers
Jun 21, 2020

Woh, is that a thing I like??

I. M. Gei posted:

Wellllll poo poo, this is what I was afraid of. Unfortunately this tree and all of its limbs are totally inaccessible from my house (too high up) or from the street (too far for a box lift to reach), so pretty much the only way to get to it is from the neighbor’s yard. I was hoping the city might have jurisdiction to take care of it without us having to talk to the neighbors or get their permission, partly because I’m always paranoid about setting off a neighbor feud, but I guess not.

So I guess step 1 is gonna be to talk to the neighbors and ask them to help cover the cost of removing the downed limb from out roof and/or let someone into their yard to take care of any other potential problem branches? What’s my next option if they say no?

Bonus lovely photos of the tree on our roof

Kinda hard to see it from this angle due to the half-dead camelia bush blocking the view

This angle is a lot better

I tried to get a pic of the limb hanging on the power line and this was about the best I could do

poo poo, I have no idea about US laws, but here in DE it would be totally on the tree owners cost and/or insurance to cover that kind of thing.

Would 100 percent get a good arborist company to sort that branch out and establish the health of the tee/further measures needed.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

Big plant haul from NC State horticulture frat:

Ajuga reptans
Clematis “Lucifer”
Unknown hinoki cypress
Ratibida columnifera (Prairie coneflower)
Illicium parviflorum 'Florida Sunshine'
Agave lophantha ‘Splendida’
Unknown carex?
Unknown fancy fancy fern
Aster novi-belgii 'Alert'
Polygonatum odoratum ‘variegatum’
Another hellebore lol
Yellow dicentra (bleeding heart)
Cotoneaster salicifolius 'scarlet Leader'
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu’

This was such a steal on price I can’t even brag, def doing it again next year. Average plant price <7 and a lot of this poo poo is huge mature plants

SPRING IS HERE U FUCKIN NERDS

TIME TO DIG A HOLE

I'm jealous. I tried to go plant shopping at the beginning of the week but it turns out no one has outdoor plants stocked yet :sweatdrop:

Well, not no one: Home Depot doesn't give a gently caress about silly things like seasons and they had just gotten in a large shipment of shrubs so I did pick up a massive Rhododendron for a quarter of what I would have paid at a real nursery after I borrowed someone's SUV so I could actually get it home.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My Stachyurus praecox catkin tree seems to have made it through the winter! Its little nubbins are starting to stretch into buds. :woop: I admit I expected it to wake up a little earlier; the neighborhood's forsythia is in full bloom and the stray daffodils planted at our foundation are starting to fade. But I'm glad our new baby tree is alive. :)

Meanwhile, I'm trying to nurse a messed-up aloe vera back to health. It was a pup from a "we need extra TLC" bargain-table plant purchased, oh, nearly 15 years ago. Other pups are happy as anything, as is the original plant: tall, green, and fleshy. This one, though, was a gift to my mom, and I suspect she overwatered it. It had started to get stemmy at the base, so I trimmed it down and put it in nice fresh succulent soil as I had successfully done for its parent, but Mom eventually gave it back to me yellow overall and wrinkled at some of the outer tips. The blades (?) growing from the center are firm and fleshy, though still yellow. :( I repotted it (everything looks fine below the surface, no rot) and have put it in my sunniest window with the occasional liquid fertilizer and only enough water (very very little) to wash it down. What else can I do?

Thankfully, my other succulents are doing better: my oldest Christmas cactus has new growth on every tip, and the pup that had put out blooms at Thanksgiving is blooming again. It just makes me want to buy a poo poo-ton more plants, especially for that sunny sill--most of what I have prefers indirect light or less.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I'm jealous. I tried to go plant shopping at the beginning of the week but it turns out no one has outdoor plants stocked yet :sweatdrop:

Well, not no one: Home Depot doesn't give a gently caress about silly things like seasons and they had just gotten in a large shipment of shrubs so I did pick up a massive Rhododendron for a quarter of what I would have paid at a real nursery after I borrowed someone's SUV so I could actually get it home.

y’all can throw shade on it all you want in the gardening thread, but I wouldn’t be utterly rank in euphorbia propagates without Home Depot

the only really epic grower I purchased at a real plant store is the one I got for my mom, and I’m only now getting into buying from growers/collectors online

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 11, 2021

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Hirayuki posted:

My Stachyurus praecox catkin tree seems to have made it through the winter! Its little nubbins are starting to stretch into buds. :woop: I admit I expected it to wake up a little earlier; the neighborhood's forsythia is in full bloom and the stray daffodils planted at our foundation are starting to fade. But I'm glad our new baby tree is alive :)

Hell yeah!!! Mine looks like poo poo hah, deer got him before the winter and then just as the new flush was coming out, that cold snap obliterated the new growth. Here’s hoping some latent buds will make some moves but he’s had a harsh life in my yard lol. Very pumped that yours is going well!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Wallet posted:

I've never seen these before—It's a very handsome shrub that doesn't look anything like Baptisia?

Meant to respond to this earlier but yeah, they’re very cool and totally different from other baptisia species. Striking blue eucalyptus foliage that’s fuzzy to the touch and then some real subtle yellow flowers that grow in the baptisia spire habit, kind of. Habitat has been decimated and I think they look very rad so I grabbed one up to see if it could survive in one of my shittiest spots. Woot!! The delights has them but they can’t be shipped outside of NC, but they have bred a hybrid that gets around that law if it’s something you’re interested in

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Is this the right thread to talk about Dahlias? Because I'm doing a bunch of Dahlias after a very successful experiment last year. But... they leave a huge bare spot in the garden until at least May. What if anything do you succession plant with them? Daffodils? I'm in zone 8.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
some recent/current blooms

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Alright I fired off a bunch of tree removal quote requests on AngiesList, and we’re gonna talk to our homeowner’s insurance company tomorrow to see what they say. I’ll try to talk to the neighbors tomorrow too; so far they don’t seem to have noticed what happened, or if they have then they haven’t approached us about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So there's a scraggly bush along the fence that flowers sometimes with orange flowers, and I have no clue what it is:

And I just realized that this is a poo poo photo that's out of focus.... welp. I'll take a better one tomorrow.

In other news, crabapple is looking good:

(Can't wait til it's big enough to more thoroughly block the view of the eternal construction zone that is one of the neighbors' yards - the fact that I'm solving the ugly view problem by planting a tree should tell you something about whatever the gently caress these people's construction project is.)

Also spent some time carving out some proper flowerbeds in the front yard. Last summer we got ahead of ourselves and bought a buttload of plants and just planted them in the lawn without first making a flowerbed. Better late than never.

During digging/hoeing, I encountered a lump of metal that was heavy and looked like a copper pipe elbow or something. Pulled it up and it was this cute little bird!

I guess it went with a bird bath or something. It has little pegs in the bottom of its feet so it was mounted onto something at some point. Also found a cool acorn and a piece of ceramic tube (the tube half of knob & tube). One fun thing about living in an old house in an old neighborhood is digging up old oddball metal/ceramic/stone trinkets while gardening.

Re: tree dropping branches: I love trees so if I were the owner of the tree I'd offer to take care of the branch for you and get the tree looked at (but realistically if I had a huge tree like that it'd have been looked at already and maintained and hopefully wouldn't be dropping giant branches like that in the first place). The last thing I'd want is for an unhappy/disgruntled neighbor to come demand that I get rid of the tree (and if a neighbor did that I'd hold a grudge against them forever and depending on how little I trusted them, aim a security camera at the tree). Seriously, one of my very worst fears as a homeowner is neighbors trying to kill my trees, to the point of triggering anxiety/OCD obsessing sometimes. And if a neighbor had people go into my yard to look at/do something about my tree without my permission (which I sure as gently caress would not grant), you can bet your rear end I'd be pressing any and all applicable criminal trespassing/vandalism/wanton property destruction charges against everyone involved.

I like to pretend that everyone else loves and fiercely defends their trees as much as I do, so if poo poo happens with neighbor trees I'd go about seeking a resolution in the friendliest and most tree positive way possible. When it's something minor like a not-as-big branch dropping into my yard, my reaction is pretty much ":buddy: yay free firewood!" and then I cut it up and add it to the wood pile. If something big were to happen, like the whole tree falling onto my property, I'd get in touch and let their insurance pay for fences and poo poo, and because the tree is now on my property, claim the tree and do with it as I see fit (firewood or furniture, depending on which tree). So congrats on your free firewood.