Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I heard that y'all got some really bad smork problems.

I can certify that this alam got all the smork detection modules preinstalled and ready to go.

No longer will our children have to hide their toys from the pilferous smork, and my wife was never happier with my performance in the bedroom.

E:

Curse you and your newfangled alam, I'll have the last laugh yet!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I've seen this on A-frames before, but not 1.5 stories...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

kid sinister posted:

Can't wait for architect or owner to stop by and start yelling "You should have STOPPED. Why didn't you stop?"

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oops, all shingles!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Besides looking dumb as hell and needing to be replaced every 15-30 years, is there anything actually wrong with using asphalt shingles as siding? It's all kinds of wrong to me but seems like it might work ok???

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Looks like a texture from a mid 90s fps.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Mods

Mods please

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sirotan posted:

Besides looking dumb as hell and needing to be replaced every 15-30 years, is there anything actually wrong with using asphalt shingles as siding? It's all kinds of wrong to me but seems like it might work ok???

Nope, you're completely right. It is a valid house coating and entirely a cosmetic issue. Like I said, it's commonly done for A frames. Of course, I imagine adding all the heat absorption to your house will make your cooling bills sky high.

edit: side shingles on houses that aren't A frames are usually done with cedar or slate shingles, not asphalt.

edit2: I look closer and those might be steel shingles. They might be good for 50 years.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 11, 2021

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

kid sinister posted:

Jesus christ, that's uglier than a hatful of assholes

Motronic posted:

Can't wait for architect or owner to stop by and start yelling "You should have STOPPED. Why didn't you stop?"

You can bet that they didn't secure the laminates with silicone adhesive on the elevations, either, so: it may look bad now, but wait until the secondary layer starts dropping down when the factory adhesive (which is not designed for installations beyond about 8/12) fails.

No, it's not wind damage so no, your claim is denied.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 12, 2021

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Freaquency posted:

Mods

Mods please

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

PainterofCrap posted:

Jesus christ, that's uglier than a hatful of smashed assholes

it really adds the je ne se quoi to the phrase

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004

kid sinister posted:

Judging by the height of the house in the background, I think they have built the upper floor first and are planning to lift the whole thing to install the lower floor afterwards.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this seems like a not good way to build things.. lifting instead of building in place just seems to be a lot of extra effort.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
It’s me. I am the rear end in a top hat previous owner. We moved our fence from including the front yard to just the backyard since our yard is 2 lots deep and goes through to the road behind us (the lots behind us were seized and auctioned by the city due to unpaid taxes. Was $150 to triple the size of our yard). Instead of digging up the front poles because I didn’t feel like going down 2 feet through clay I dug to the concrete and cut the poles off flush with the concrete and reburied them. I was only planning on doing it to 1 which was 2” from the gas line but after the first one was dug up and had a concrete cone attached to it that was 2 foot across at the top and went all the way down I wasn’t going that poo poo again.

The next homeowner wouldn’t be able to put a fence there anyways without a variance since the setbacks have changed since that fence was put in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jabadoo posted:

Judging by the height of the house in the background, I think they have built the upper floor first and are planning to lift the whole thing to install the lower floor afterwards.

It's sitting on a slab/foundation though.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

It’s me. I am the rear end in a top hat previous owner. We moved our fence from including the front yard to just the backyard since our yard is 2 lots deep and goes through to the road behind us (the lots behind us were seized and auctioned by the city due to unpaid taxes. Was $150 to triple the size of our yard). Instead of digging up the front poles because I didn’t feel like going down 2 feet through clay I dug to the concrete and cut the poles off flush with the concrete and reburied them. I was only planning on doing it to 1 which was 2” from the gas line but after the first one was dug up and had a concrete cone attached to it that was 2 foot across at the top and went all the way down I wasn’t going that poo poo again.

The next homeowner wouldn’t be able to put a fence there anyways without a variance since the setbacks have changed since that fence was put in.

Given the change to the setbacks you mention a future front fence would likely not use the same locations for posts. So I wouldn't worry too much about future people being too upset about it.

I had to have a section of about 8 cedar posts replaced a few years ago. A day that saw multiple 80mph+ wind gusts ended up snapping a bunch off at ground level. The two guys that came out to replace them used a tool that was basically an a-frame, some chain, and a long-lever ratchet that drew the chain. They started around 8 am and had all the concrete removed, new posts set, and all the panels put back by the end of the day.

jabadoo
Aug 10, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

It's sitting on a slab/foundation though.

i'm sure that wouldn't stop someone creative :P

it's the only explanation!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

jabadoo posted:

i'm sure that wouldn't stop someone creative :P

it's the only explanation!

Have you considered that people have awful tase and also engage in poor/questionable building practices?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Blistex posted:

Have you considered that people have awful tase and also engage in poor/questionable building practices?

Don't bad tase me, bro

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/seanw_m/status/1381956613121179649

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There has to be a better way to have moss covered stairs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's brick veneer and those sprinkler heads aren't pointed at the stairs.

It's not great, but it's not nearly as bad as they're making it out. The brick veneer being used as siding is going to get more wet than the side of those steps.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Motronic posted:

That's brick veneer and those sprinkler heads aren't pointed at the stairs.

It's not great, but it's not nearly as bad as they're making it out. The brick veneer being used as siding is going to get more wet than the side of those steps.

This sprinkler head looks problematic no matter how much the try and turn down the pressure

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That number of sprinkler heads is massively overkill for the space, so it’s not implausible they have extremely short throw distance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

This sprinkler head looks problematic no matter how much the try and turn down the pressure

Those are flat/short throw sprinklers. That's why there are so many of them in there. It's not hard to set up properly, and doesn't matter anyway because that amount of water simply isn't a problem.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://imgur.com/gallery/3Jd5UAL
We've seen a few of the things in there before, but there's always more and it's always worse.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Every single one of those is gold.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Heh, I almost did the second one to myself.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Dareon posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/3Jd5UAL
We've seen a few of the things in there before, but there's always more and it's always worse.

I mean, I guess it’s technically a half bath?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

lmao at the load-bearing doghouse

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/seanw_m/status/1382021787601539077

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That is called "cribbing" and it's completely fine. This is just another either/both out of context/I have no idea how things work post.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
oh my god oh my god

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It's holding up an entire Iowa!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Blistex posted:

oh my god oh my god

aright, I think the main problem here is the lack of water, but I'm not a ship expert.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

aright, I think the main problem here is the lack of water, but I'm not a ship expert.

One of the guys in that photo is telling the other guy "well there's your problem, you used a dry dock instead of a wet dock!" Then he sucks on his teeth a bit and says "and it's not gonna be cheap to fix..."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Benagain posted:

Are you suggesting that this situation calls for load-bearing water?! You're mad!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Prior to dry docking you have to send divers down to verify you're on the blocks correctly, and it is an unholy hell for you if you find out you're not after dewatering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Motronic posted:

That is called "cribbing" and it's completely fine. This is just another either/both out of context/I have no idea how things work post.

Are you sure it's legit and not people who really feel the need to up the stakes of their Jenga games?