Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1994's "In The Army Now" is secretly brilliant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
"transformers is actually a subtle satire of hollywood excess" is still the wildest CD take, imo

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
cd's reputation is a little unfairly maligned but yeah, the whole transformers thing was a stretch

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Peanut President posted:

"transformers is actually a subtle satire of hollywood excess" is still the wildest CD take, imo

i am still quite peeved i fell for that one and actually rewatched that mess

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It was a fun thread.

End of watch was pretty good from what I remember.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

how is david lynch's wild at heart not available for streaming anywhere

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Stairmaster posted:

I watched end of watch and I don't get why cinema discusso loves david ayer so much

Because it's a really good and effective movie that shows how much fun it is to ride till you die as part of a gang

Plus it compares ms13 and the lapd and concludes the only difference is one has state support

Edit: his other movies are good too, particularly Fury

Peanut President posted:

That's a misrepresentation of Terry V's internet-shattering thread: her argument iirc was that transformers satirizes American culture, that it was the ultimate excessive blockbuster, and nothing about it is subtle or accidental

I admit I used to get tripped up on that last aspect myself but Pain & Gain kinda gives it away

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I don't know if Transformers satirizes American culture, but it definitely revels in it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The trick is that Michael Bay sees all the horrible things about American culture and thinks they're loving rad

Still says something that Megan Fox's character is Michaela Banes.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DoD approves all the transformers scripts so that points to the society that is satire not the films

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The trick is that Michael Bay sees all the horrible things about American culture and thinks they're loving rad

Still says something that Megan Fox's character is Michaela Banes.

except for pain and gain oddly enough

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

i don't think cined does love ayer all that much, on the whole?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Blood Boils posted:

That's a misrepresentation of Terry V's internet-shattering thread: her argument iirc was that transformers satirizes American culture, that it was the ultimate excessive blockbuster, and nothing about it is subtle or accidental

I admit I used to get tripped up on that last aspect myself but Pain & Gain kinda gives it away

no there was an argument made (and agreed upon) that it was a satire film, you're thinking of someone else's analysis

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Aglet56 posted:

cd's reputation is a little unfairly maligned but yeah, the whole transformers thing was a stretch

some guy got probed for saying soyface

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Blood Boils posted:

Plus it compares ms13 and the lapd and concludes the only difference is one has state support

i mean ok but that's still lazy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Judakel posted:

lol good

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

except for pain and gain oddly enough

I mean, even Bay has to be getting tired of his schtick at this point, right?

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Judakel posted:

the greatest hit is still the dude getting two weeks + thread locked for calling french people frogs a couple months ago

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

end of watch also has a micro plot where a black criminal develops respect for a hispanic police officer after they have a fist fight

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

the greatest hit is still the dude getting two weeks + thread locked for calling french people frogs a couple months ago

!?

How terrible!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Trabisnikof posted:

how is david lynch's wild at heart not available for streaming anywhere

Half of movies worth watching aren't loving anywhere, it's completely insane

I use justwatch website/app to add movies onto a favorites list when I hear about them, and then toggle my streaming services on and off to see what's available on netflix/prime/disney+/hoopla (their kanopy feed doesn't match my selection) and jack poo poo is available

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

so due to good timing this convinced me to finally give always sunny a serious watch i gave it exactly one season from this episode and have now concluded that its always sunny in philadelphia is the quintessential american sitcom for the following reasons

there are homeless people

there are characters who do drugs and then get addicted to drugs

everyone is a narcissistic rear end in a top hat

no one has any money except for the token boomer who incompetently manages a small business

no one shuts the gently caress up about what city they live in

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/Luiz_Fernando_J/status/1376633927616585732

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also in end of watch a lady cop gets every bone in her face broken after gettign beaten by a large hispanic man and everyone in her unit disparages her for quitting the police department (her partner got stabbed in the eye with a six inch long knife and had to retire)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

indigi posted:

lol good

i dont need this kind of negativity

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

lmao

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

this just makes me wonder how many people bother to finish movies in general

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Some Guy TT posted:

so due to good timing this convinced me to finally give always sunny a serious watch i gave it exactly one season from this episode and have now concluded that its always sunny in philadelphia is the quintessential american sitcom for the following reasons

there are homeless people

there are characters who do drugs and then get addicted to drugs

everyone is a narcissistic rear end in a top hat

no one has any money except for the token boomer who incompetently manages a small business

no one shuts the gently caress up about what city they live in

yeah it rules lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Some Guy TT posted:

i finished the dig and godzilla, and they couldn't be further apart. justice league is just rear end

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
i watch every movie from start to finish and i make sure to stand and salute during the credits

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i wouldve finished it if it was 90 minutes long.it wouldve been better also

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
it was apparently supposed to be two movies

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

these platforms are all geared around tricking you into binging an entire season of a show in one day

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlfJcU3nnl8

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

these platforms are all geared around tricking you into binging an entire season of a show in one day

this is why im curious i dont think ive ever seen anyone cite started a movie but didnt finish it statistics before even though this data is definitely being collected

my guess is it just correlates with length and tv shows have much worse rates than movies for this reason some yahtzee video i saw years ago mentioned a study that said only twenty percent of people ever finish a video games story mode which seems plausible

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Anecdotally, I had a former co-worker who, when she felt bored with what was happening in the film, would fast forward until something on the screen looked interesting. At work the next day, she would complain about how the movie didn't make sense

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Anecdotally, I had a former co-worker who, when she felt bored with what was happening in the film, would fast forward until something on the screen looked interesting. At work the next day, she would complain about how the movie didn't make sense

the Trump maneuver, very good.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

josh04 posted:

i don't think cined does love ayer all that much, on the whole?

For a hive mind there is quite a lot of difference of opinion :shrug: lol

Judakel posted:

i mean ok but that's still lazy

Sometimes the truth is I guess. Probably why filmmakers always punch it up with running and gunning etc

It's been a long while since I've seen End of Watch but it's a very energetic movie

Stairmaster posted:

end of watch also has a micro plot where a black criminal develops respect for a hispanic police officer after they have a fist fight

If a cop accepts your challenge to take off his badge and gun and fight you like a man and doesn't arrest you for beating on him - well then, honestly, fair is fair I can see why this character would give props for that

It's not like the dude sent flowers to Pena's funeral

Stairmaster posted:

also in end of watch a lady cop gets every bone in her face broken after gettign beaten by a large hispanic man and everyone in her unit disparages her for quitting the police department (her partner got stabbed in the eye with a six inch long knife and had to retire)

That's a great scene

Are you upset that one badass guy ended 2 police careers in one go? Or that the other cops are presented as so callous?

If it makes you feel better they're actors no real cops were harmed (too bad imo)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

this is why im curious i dont think ive ever seen anyone cite started a movie but didnt finish it statistics before even though this data is definitely being collected

my guess is it just correlates with length and tv shows have much worse rates than movies for this reason some yahtzee video i saw years ago mentioned a study that said only twenty percent of people ever finish a video games story mode which seems plausible

Just looking through some of the global steam achievements of games I own, that seems to check out, with most games I looked at somewhere in the 15-25% range. Even Superhot, a game you can finish in like 90 minutes, only has 50% completion on the high end and some super long RPGs like Pathfinder: Kingmaker have sub 10% completion rates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

WrightOfWay posted:

Just looking through some of the global steam achievements of games I own, that seems to check out, with most games I looked at somewhere in the 15-25% range. Even Superhot, a game you can finish in like 90 minutes, only has 50% completion on the high end and some super long RPGs like Pathfinder: Kingmaker have sub 10% completion rates.

yeah, steam achievements are great for figuring out how many people do any given thing with an atratched achievement in a game