Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

I seem to recently found time to not only ride, but also take pictures of motorcycles. So here are some more pictures of a motorcycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
That's a nice bike! The lens distortion in the first photo made my eyes go in and out of focus for a sec, ha

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I have, they handle like garbage compared to the nsr and rgv, but they're also super powerful. So a typical kawasaki.

They've got two crankshafts tandemed together, with rotary intake valves so the carbs stick out to the right, it's pretty cool.

Two questions: is this your take on the R3 vs Ninja 400? What is a rotary valve? I always thought of two strokes as being valveless with intake/exhaust ports in the cylinder wall with the timing being controlled by the piston itself, but I guess there could be different ways to do it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

timn posted:

Reminds me of a funny anecdote when I was on vacation with some friends in another city. None of them are automotively inclined in the slightest, but they know I ride. As we were walking down the street from the place we were staying at, a Ducati rides by us. After its gone, one of my friends leans over and says to me in a hushed tone, "Why does it sound like that?"

Did you tell them there is a tambourine, that's an integral part of how the transmission works?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Toe Rag posted:

Behold, a motorcycle.

I have not actually heard of this bike before. It’s one of those late 80s/early 90s JDM 250cc 2 strokes, so I imagine it is :krad: has anyone ridden one?

Speaking of 80s(?) 2 strokes, saw this :krad: bike a few weeks ago. Someone tell me what it is.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Suzuki RG500 with the fairing removed, perhaps?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

MetaJew posted:

Speaking of 80s(?) 2 strokes, saw this :krad: bike a few weeks ago. Someone tell me what it is.
https://bikereview.com.au/classic-test-suzuki-rg500-walter-wolf-review/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Two questions: is this your take on the R3 vs Ninja 400? What is a rotary valve? I always thought of two strokes as being valveless with intake/exhaust ports in the cylinder wall with the timing being controlled by the piston itself, but I guess there could be different ways to do it.

I've never ridden or worked on a ninja 400 so I couldn't say one way or another. It's definitely the case with the r3 vs ninja 300, the kawasaki has a much more robust midrange and generally easier to use, the r3 is better in the corners, has smoother more top-end biased power delivery.

Rotary valve is a disc with a missing sector that sits on the end of the crank and times the opening of the air intake into the crank case. On modern 2t engines we have reeds which for a variety of reasons (mostly cost) were developed to do the same very nearly as well, but in theory a disc valve still gives you absolute peak 2t performance. Because the valve and intake sit on the end of the crank, the carb has to stick sideways out of the bike; imo this is an advantage on sportbikes but a drawback on pretty much everything else.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Posting this in the pictures thread because it's about pictures

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1382700328353722378

This rules.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Props to that dude for gaming a lovely system and having loving fantastic hair

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
What kind of a monster would even depict a carburetor mounted that way

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You get sick ram air bonus AND your carb is constantly clean from sandblasting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
ram air forced induction dude :rice:

e: UGH

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, I took one for the team and watched the Super Cub anime.

Its really well animated for what basically amounts to a 30 minute Honda ad (every vehicle in the show is a Honda). The bikes are insanely detailed. Like I feel like they had to have exported 3D models out of CAD and into the show, they're so detailed.

Anyway, that's my motorcycle anime story that somehow DOESNT revolve around Akira. Another mod can feel free to give me a probation if they need to

I'm surprised by how clean that drawing is, like holy poo poo. Looks like straight out of a CAD program.

e: wait, that's probably because it is. uwu

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah I think they’re cell shaded cad models. The way they move in the show is a bit like the ship and other stuff in futurama If you know what that looks like.

Anyway the second episode came out and MY FRIEND watched it and said the backwards carb postal cub shows up and it’s got a sick rainbow colored heat treated exhaust as well

I will say the sound design in the show is amazing. They for sure used real recordings of these bikes, down to the transmission sounds, the ignition key, all that. I mean, my friend said that. Not me. That would be weird

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Mods?! Spoilers much?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

the Super cub doesn’t die

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The 3d cars in InitialD were definitely the selling point. Also, distinct lack of any pedo material

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nitrox posted:

The 3d cars in InitialD were definitely the selling point. Also, distinct lack of any pedo material

Sounds like you didn't get very far into it, then. The main character's kinda sorta girlfriend in the early part of the story is in a sugar daddy relationship with an older man, though that was largely edited out in the US release of the comic books and somewhat downplayed in the animated show.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Not that I was overly invested in the show, but that's just depressing. Please tell me Studio Ghibli cartoons are still okay

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A) That is a very small component of the first season of the show, which focuses more on the loss of trust and loss of what was supposed to be pure relationship. B) That is (and sadly still is) both a very common practice in Japan and also a very real social problem people they deal with. It's not some forced or contrived thing.

Initiall D is definitely one of those faultless animes that is just cars cars and more cars :getin:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Cycle pics: the pedophilia is a very small component of the first season

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Slavvy posted:

Cycle pics: the pedophilia is a very small component of the first season
:emptyquote:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Today I got a nice healthy reminder about not outriding your sight lines:

This thing literally took up two lanes. I came up behind it on a nice long straight but for the rest of the ride I approached every blind hill crest with a lot of caution.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Found this on czech craigslist. Price isn't even mentioned, but I could translate the following

quote:

I will buy a pig cz 175/501,502 with TP documents, photos and condition

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
CZECH FULL FENDERED SPACE SCOOTY PUFFS FOREVER

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Oh hey, my dad had a Cezeta like that a long time ago

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Can we still say motard

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

This kick stand is motardedly long now

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dumb question: Is there functionally a difference between motard and supermoto or are they just regional terms for the same thing? Either way, I really want to try it.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

Dumb question: Is there functionally a difference between motard and supermoto or are they just regional terms for the same thing? Either way, I really want to try it.

I think there was once a distinction along the lines of supermoto was the sport and supermotard was the bike? Certainly I remember when they started hitting the streets of the UK in the early-mid 90s the bikes were definitely known as supermotards (although it's possible this was just an insult being hurled at the people putting BT96s on CR500s) and the competition as supermoto, but I don't know if that is in turn just a regional thing.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Do your fork guards rubs?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You've got the first two stages of the ktm life cycle, now need a third pic of it on a lift, then a fourth of it being parted out by an ebay wrecker.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Gullous posted:

Do your fork guards rubs?

They did until I cut them with a hack saw and now they dont rub anymore

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Lmao finally after sending out my head, where they determined one valve needed to be replaced but otherwise looked fine, I bought a cylinder and piston kit, installed it and wouldn't you know it all my smoke out the tail pipe problems are gone. I'm thinking the stock cylinder finally fried cause there was one small vertical stripe on it when I took it apart. Went for a shakedown

Here's where I stopped 5 minutes later because I forgot to put coolant in it because SOMEBODY forgot to tape a sign to the starter button to do that this time. lol husqvarna owners

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyboom:

Hope it wasn't literally five minutes.

I once rode a hornet 250 up and back down the street with no oil in it cause I made a similar error. Didn't seem to hurt anything, bike was a piece of poo poo anyway.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I read it was a good break-in procedure from some random post from 2003 on some poo poo hole forum I got to from a bing search

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

500excf type r posted:

Can we still say motard

Looks great. I like the orange wheels.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

builds character posted:

Looks great. I like the orange wheels.
Matches my new jersey (also matches my adv helmet, not pictured) but to paraphrase mailbox "[the ktm] looks like a repsol but actually good"

Courtesy of the newly updated https://klutchindustries.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

keanu has good taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgpQfY1wmz0