Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yes im watching the witch and the advent of THE PLOT, and the first groanworthy gag, very closely.

This series better not stop being funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Brought To You By posted:

Onio deserved so much better

Tell me about it. His art style is really nice looking and Rough Sketch Senpai was freaking hilarious and cute in a similar to Senryu Shoujo where you have this core couple and the romance is SUPER BLATANT, but neither makes a move while their collective group of super weirdo friends watches on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

Oh I should have clarified, I didn't mean that in a "I think it's bad" way, I meant it in a literal "I don't know if it's promising, I don't know anything about it or the one shot" way. :shobon:

No worries. I didn't think you were saying it was bad.

I just felt that it was worth bringing up, in the context of a slightly odd cancellation, that what they were bringing in to replace Phantom Seer was starting off with a higher level of expected audience interest.

It's basically a rare case where the answer to "Is there really a promising manga starting next week that really needs to start next week and not in a couple months?" is "yes."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RatHat posted:

Better not think about all the mangas that didn’t even get picked up in the first place.

It's kind of more depressing to get the excitement/happiness of being picked and then be crushed afterwards.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Blue Box seems like it could be pretty fun. Looking forward to seeing how it continues from
this point now that all of the setup is out of the way.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

I say this as a man who enjoys tartar sauce exclusively with shrimp. This guy is unhinged.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I say this as a man who enjoys tartar sauce exclusively with shrimp. This guy is unhinged.

Mash was so good. So many things I liked about this chapter.

Meanwhile Witch Watch successfully defeated a dress while still keeping it’s tone clearly early bleach. Good stuff, with a few okay laughs.

Sakamoto: Sniper guy is still around! Sweet!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
So, Build King ended except they promised more in a graphic novel? I mean, it's not a big loss, to be honest, pretty much the only really enjoyable part was the restauration arc.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I feel like the chapter might have gotten a little bit too meta, but I still love it. Mashle is great.

I hope the Tengu's umbrella also becomes a part of the cast in Witch Watch.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

gently caress, maybe I should finally read Mashle.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though the first two episodes got leaked early a little while back the Eden’s Zero anime officially begins today. From what I can tell it’s mostly a new voice cast aside from Happy and maybe Erza’s VAs coming back to voice their counterparts (not sure if the same will be true if/when the series gets dubbed though)

Actually out of curiosity, did any Rave Master alumni come back to voice characters in Fairy Tail?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I love that everyone in Mashle is built like Bayonetta.
Just, 65% spindly legs in body height with some massive shoes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

I feel like the chapter might have gotten a little bit too meta, but I still love it. Mashle is great.

I hope the Tengu's umbrella also becomes a part of the cast in Witch Watch.

Same. It was really pushing that boundary, but then it just went full insanity giving no fucks and I love it. Though I do wonder how long this love will last.

Still I do love how they showcased Macaron's threat. From him having the same love of a food to him overpowering Mash's volleyball move which we've seen multiple time already. I wonder if he'll join Mash's group like a Vegeta.
Him going Rock Lee was awesome.

Slightly worried about the new guys coming in.

Nine Dragonballs: I think I see 2 new team members coming on.

Roboco: Was funny

Magu chan: I don't know

Elusive Samurai: I slowly winning me over.

Bluebox: I too love KotKat's
I normally wouldn't have tried this, because the bullshot didn't seem like something I would like. However it was mentioned here briefly, so why not try.

It was nice I guess.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Elusive Samurai has really won me over. I was really ready to drop it but I'm glad I held on. The characters started pretty lukewarm but they've really grown into their own and are fun. The eye bulging villain guy is so great, he's just so insanely evil and fun. I was also pretty meh on the retainer kids earlier but they're shaping up to be fun too. Overall I enjoy the direction it's going and have found myself looking forward to it the past couple weeks.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Monster #8 is firing at all cylinders lately.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad the reveal is out of the way.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Did they actually see him transform? Seems like he jumped off the building they were on first. Hoshina will probably figure it out even if they didn't, but he might assist in keeping the secret if no one else saw

Overwork is a huge problem in the industry as a whole so I'm glad the creators of #8 get a lighter schedule but I can't help selfishly wishing they did a real chapter every week, because the series loving owns

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Monster #8 is firing at all cylinders lately.
Get Hype.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

At the very least people are definitely going to suspect him after that. Guy moves faster than he should be able to, jumps over a ledge and immediately Kaiju No. 8 appears in the place where he jumped, lol.

It gives some sort of deniability, but I don't see how it would work on the people at the scene. The result might just be that the group of people aware of the secret increases by two.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
We've also seen drones flying around. Even if they didn't see him, there's bound to be camera footage.
But I also expect the likes of Hoshina to be clever enough to put it together

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im hopeful that kaiju #8 and spy x family taking periodic breaks is indicative of loosening the extremely harmful practices of the industry as a whole. i can only hope that more high profile publishers and mangaka follow suit

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My guess is those two getting breaks like that is more because they are selling and doing absurdly well.

The Togashi and Oda clause

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

My guess is those two getting breaks like that is more because they are selling and doing absurdly well.

The Togashi and Oda clause

Nah, those were the schedules for the manga even before they were hits. It's a Jump Plus thing that's been discussed in interviews. Not having to worry about a physical publication gives a lot more flexibility in both timing and page allotment.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, Jump Plus series are published online, they aren't competing for space in a physical magazine. That gives them more freedom to set healthier schedules.

I still think weekly breaks should be implemented for all of the mangaka in the physical magazine though, they have to work a hellish number of hours every day, and giving them more free time can only be good for the health and creative output.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I feel like Weekly Jump could easily switch to a publishing model where they just publish a few more series and let a couple mangaka take a week off every week.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I feel like Weekly Jump could easily switch to a publishing model where they just publish a few more series and let a couple mangaka take a week off every week.

It might be possible, and even better in the long term, but it's certainly not easy. Putting aside the difficulties of switching the system over to accommodate a rotating system, and selling the public on getting less of their favorite manga in the interests of the wider industry, there's also the issue that it wouldn't be in the best interests of all the mangaka involved. The most complicated variable is the speed and endurance of the writers. You see all kinds of people if you look at the schedules for manga writers, and all kinds of capacity. Some people are basically eating themselves alive, some are basically on top of things... until a minor health issue comes up, or something else throws off the schedule (at which point they spiral), and you even have people like Aka Akasaka who can manage multiple series at once without breaking down. No matter which pace you pick, there are going to be people who are still strained, and people who are pushing at the limits. But on top of that there's also the fact that the weekly delivery is important for rookies who need to hook people in. Sure, waiting an extra week or two for One Piece won't make most people drop it, but a series like Blue Box or Sakamoto Days could easily fall in the surveys with just a week's absence.

Jump Plus isn't just good because it's more generous to the writers, but because it's more flexible, letting authors set their own pace. Going for a different one size fits all system isn't a better way forward.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 16, 2021

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

chiasaur11 posted:

It might be possible, and even better in the long term, but it's certainly not easy. Putting aside the difficulties of switching the system over to accommodate a rotating system, and selling the public on getting less of their favorite manga in the interests of the wider industry, there's also the issue that it wouldn't be in the best interests of all the mangaka involved. The most complicated variable is the speed and endurance of the writers. You see all kinds of people if you look at the schedules for manga writers, and all kinds of capacity. Some people are basically eating themselves alive, some are basically on top of things... until a minor health issue comes up, or something else throws off the schedule (at which point they spiral), and you even have people like Aka Akasaka who can manage multiple series at once without breaking down. No matter which pace you pick, there are going to be people who are still strained, and people who are pushing at the limits. But on top of that there's also the fact that the weekly delivery is important for rookies who need to hook people in. Sure, waiting an extra week or two for One Piece won't make most people drop it, but a series like Blue Box or Sakamoto Days could easily fall in the surveys with just a week's absence.

Jump Plus isn't just good because it's more generous to the writers, but because it's more flexible, letting authors set their own pace. Going for a different one size fits all system isn't a better way forward.
The limitation of Weekly Jump is that it's published on paper, so a regular reliable schedule is fairly important. Basically anything is better than the status quo of "Well, go until you are nearly ready to die and then take a sick week when we notice your manuscript is still pencils"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think a single manga has ever been improved by squeezing a mangaka to the physical limits of what they can withstand. slower and irregular releases are the price of letting the creators live like human beings and that's perfectly okay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
There are other magazines with more reasonable, monthly schedules. Weekly Jump can afford to push its artists the way it does because it ruthlessly cancels anyone who can't keep up. Under the logic that there are always more people wanting to be published.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Clarste posted:

There are other magazines with more reasonable, monthly schedules. Weekly Jump can afford to push its artists the way it does because it ruthlessly cancels anyone who can't keep up. Under the logic that there are always more people wanting to be published.

Ironically once the manga becomes popular it goes the other way around. Oda can take a break every 2 weeks because Jump knows that if they fire him he'll just go to another magazine(and the massive amount of money he generates)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Ironically once the manga becomes popular it goes the other way around. Oda can take a break every 2 weeks because Jump knows that if they fire him he'll just go to another magazine(and the massive amount of money he generates)

Same with Togashi really.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, that and his editor illegally confined togashi once.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

well, that and his editor illegally confined togashi once.

Is there any actual reputable source for this story, or is it just an urban legend?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New Series Candy Flurry

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/candy-flurry-chapter-1/chapter/22410?action=read

Probably need a few more chapters to get a feel for it, but I do love sweets...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
She hid everything she owned...in Gum Piece

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Jujubes Kaisen.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the main gimmick is silly as heck but the overall high quality made it work.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Squidster posted:

Jujubes Kaisen.

FullMallowmars Alchemist

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Blue Box is cute. I never read the one shot, but I enjoyed the first two chapters, it looks like it's shaping up to be a cute, awkward, slow-burn romance manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I don't think it is long for this magazine, but I think "i tell c" is slowly finding a fun dynamic and level of seriousness (or lack of) between it's characters and cases.