Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.tor.com/2021/04/13/book-announcements-a-strange-and-stubborn-endurance-foz-meadows/

quote:

Tor Books is thrilled to announce the acquisition of World English rights for A Strange and Stubborn Endurance and an additional novel from Hugo Award-winning blogger and author Foz Meadows by Executive Editor Claire Eddy from Hannah Bowman at Liza Dawson Associates.

A Strange and Stubborn Endurance is a male/male epic fantasy romance about Velasin, a closeted young nobleman preparing for a political arranged marriage to a foreign noblewoman—but when his sexuality is revealed under unpleasant circumstances, it’s proposed that he marry her brother instead. With no idea of what to expect from life in a culture famously more permissive than his own, Velasin’s troubles only increase when his arrival sparks an onset of violent political intrigue. Working together with his new husband, Velasin must try to figure out who’s behind the attacks—and maybe build a real relationship in the process.

This looks fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I read that backwards at first like they were forcing a hetero relationship, and uhhhh, but yea, that sounds pretty interesting.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Revenger by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXW2IUQ/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

This might have been posted already, but I really liked this disturbing short story in the tone of a Wikipedia article which describes the first human being to upload their consciousness to a computer:

https://qntm.org/mmacevedo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

freebooter posted:

This might have been posted already, but I really liked this disturbing short story in the tone of a Wikipedia article which describes the first human being to upload their consciousness to a computer:

Well that was horrifying, I loved it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

freebooter posted:

God drat that was good.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

freebooter posted:

This is great

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Dang. This is like a horrorish version of the bob books I read a week or two ago.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Although it's dated and set in a terrible scifi setting with a terrible main character, Fredrick Pohl's Heechee Rendezvous also does a uploading of human consciousness to a computer. Pohl's version of computerized living is essentially uploaded consciousnesses live in the SpeedForce and are vastly bored dealing with human "real-time" interactions".

Restarted my SFL Archives readthrough attempt and immediately Mike Resnick is posting slash humblebragging to the SFL Archives. And SFLers are pumping up his ego big-time. gently caress off Mike Resnick. Then Stargate the movie (1994) comes out along with Robert Heinlein's The Puppet Masters movie(1994). Stargate gets slammed heavily while The Puppet Masters gets praised hard. Only downside to movie version for the SFL people is : No nudity in the film outside of a brief shower scene. And the female lead not being a busty Heinlein redhead had some people angry. And did I mention no nudity, that came up repeatedly.

Pretty ironic because that Heinlein Puppet Masters movie is a forgotten footnote in time, while the Stargate movie is responsible for 147+ hrs of content just counting Stargate SG-1.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I love the implication that Acevedo’s only useful because all the scans made later know what happens to uploads, and try to refuse to work.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I thought it was interesting that it's not truly immortality because there's something of a 'software' problem in our brains where they eventually degrade even you remove biology from the picture.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

freebooter posted:

Well this is going to be bothering me for a while.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
Erk that was a sobering read. I've had so much fun with qtnm's stuff I figured I should at least buy something so I've snagged There Is No Antimemetics Division because who needs sleep. Speaking of which, the Audible Original Drama Series for Alien are REALLY well put together. The actors are having a great time, the sounds effects are perfect (identical noises from the films for the guns, aliens and even the computer sounds) and Rutger Hauer makes a great deluded Ash in his further adventures in space fuckery.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The comments on the draft version linked to https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nRSRWbAqtC48rPv5NG6kzggL3HXSJ1O93jFn3fgu0Rs/ which I found horrifying for a whole bunch of slightly different reasons.

It's not well written, of course.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It's not well written, of course.

Firstrdraft.txt

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Collateral posted:

Firstrdraft.txt
I don't mean the qntm piece, I mean the other thing that someone in the comments to it linked. It's got a weird tone of optimism/fetishism that makes me uncomfortable.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I had these thoughts about those tamagotchi things, only imagine they are more sophisticated. With a super deep decision and response tree.

Premise:

Citizens are given sold these simulated pet humans npcs by the Ministry of Informatics a toy company and how they treat their pet person is recorded in a database for future use to have fun with.

Anything you can can imagine you can subject it to you can do exactly that. With their responses being very human indeed.

They are mind state copies of the people themselves.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

freebooter posted:

What an optimistic story, positing that we'd make that kind of headway in AI research by the 2030s.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
The idea that the first brain copied will be some random graduate student volunteer’s seems completely on point tho- already those are definitely the brains we’ve scanned the most comprehensively.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PI181JI/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

pradmer posted:

Alright time to grab this glaive.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

pradmer posted:

The Broken Sword rules, highly recommended.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can I get some fantasy recommendations, particularly epic/high fantasy, and series that are already complete? I've been neglecting it compared to sci-fi. I've read, off the top of my head,

The First Law trilogy
the first Fitz trilogy and liveships trilogies by Robin Hobb
Mistborn
ASOIAF, lol
the Cradle series
Black Company
Discworld
Lies of Locke Lamora

hmm probably forgetting some, but those come to mind immediately

E: oh and the Broken Earth trilogy

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 17, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Aardvark! posted:

Can I get some fantasy recommendations, particularly epic/high fantasy, and series that are already complete? I've been neglecting it compared to sci-fi. I've read, off the top of my head,

The First Law trilogy
Mistborn
ASOIAF, lol
the Cradle series
Black Company
Discworld
Lies of Locke Lamora

There's always Wheel of Time if you have a few months to spare. More interesting right now with the Amazon TV series coming out around the end of the year.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

The First Law trilogy
Mistborn
ASOIAF, lol
the Cradle series
Black Company
Discworld
Lies of Locke Lamora

E: oh and the Broken Earth trilogy

Earthsea by Le Guin of course.

Lyonesse by Jack Vance (huge inspiration for A Song of Ice and Fire, there are elements that are completely lifted from it, with a very different, more fairy tale style)

A Land Fit for Heroes by Richard K Morgan

Patricia A Mckillip's Riddle Master Series

There's nothing else quite like Hugh Cook's Chronicles of An Age of Darkness which due to publisher negligence and then the early death of the author will never be completed. Too outwardly generic to attract a large cult following. Too weird to have mainstream fans. (You're going to have to go pirate for ebooks or second-hand dealers because tragically no one's republished these ones). It's unique Rashomon-like structure with each book being self-contained but interconnected/conflicting means that it doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

Elric by Michael Moorcock has dated but it's got a lot going for it.

The Worm Ouroboros by E R Eddison is pre-Tolkein so your mileage may vary

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 17, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Gormenghast.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Aardvark! posted:

Can I get some fantasy recommendations, particularly epic/high fantasy, and series that are already complete?

<snip>

Mistborn
ASOIAF, lol
the Cradle series

Mistborn Era 1 is complete, and Sanderson is working on the last volume in Mistborn Era 2 right now, which is more awesome.

Cradle is 9 books out of 12 complete. 9 just came out 2 weeks ago so Wight hasn't decided if he's writing 10/11/12 in one shot next, or alternating with a new series. He releases a new book every 6 months, so it could be complete in the next 18 months.

ASOIAF hahahaha

Malazan is complete. Erikson puts his characters through really awful stuff so if you like Hobb and don't mind zero things being explained to you as a reader, then it may be for you. Warning for sexual violence though.

Also Ian Irvine's Well of Echoes is complete.

Edit: And on the YA side of things, Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy was solid. Do not read the short story collection, the prequel Clariel or the Golden Hand sequel though, they were really not up to par.

Edit Edit: vvvvv I reading good, that will teach me for excitably phone posting. Sorry!

Leng fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 17, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I realize those series' aren't complete, I was just throwing out other fantasy series I've read for reference :shobon:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Besides Elric, there's the rest of Moorcock's Eternal Champion cycle.

Malazan is a very hit or miss series -- I think it's great myself, but there are just as many people who despise it.

Have you tried the Amber books? First series is good, second series less so.

If you're in the mood for sword and sorcery, there's always Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser, or Karl Edward Wagner's Kane books.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

The First Law trilogy
Mistborn
ASOIAF, lol
the Cradle series
Black Company
Discworld
Lies of Locke Lamora

Ash: A Secret History by Mary Gentle is a must. JV Jones's The Barbed Coil and Janny Wurts's To Ride Hell's Chasm are really fun standalone heroic fantasies. Manda Scott's Boudica novels are technically historical fiction but read like fantasy.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 17, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed The Wyld series, and it's only two books, Kings of the Wyld and Bloody Rose.

It's not exactly LOTR level high fantasy, but there is magic and monsters and whatnot.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

D-Pad posted:

Folio is great. For something similar check out Suntup Press. They make amazingly gorgeous books at three levels:

... Suntup Press stuff ...

Thanks for that, very interesting. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be an Artist's version of Neuromancer, I'd be all over that.

The Folio Society PKD Collection arrived earlier in this week. Even more impressive than the videos, bigger/heavier than I expected. Has been a good week, I was also lucky enough to pick up the Library of America PKD Novel collection for £40 from a random eBay auction. Have been after that for some time, generally sells for around £100 here.

This stuff holds a lot of memories for me. Outside movie novelisations it was hard to find PKD books here in the mid 90s, so have treasured battered books that I managed to get from friends and trips to the US.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

High Warlord Zog posted:

JV Jones's The Barbed Coil and Janny Wurts's To Ride Hell's Chasm are really fun standalone heroic fantasies.

Oh man how did I forget JV Jones and Janny Wurtz?

Wurtz is working on the last book in the Wars of Light and Shadow series, which is epic in every sense. It's also very tragic and while slaughter, evil cults, etc abound it at least doesn't resort to sexual violence for shock value. So by the time you get through it, the last book will be imminent, probably.

JV Jones has another series Sword of Shadows that I enjoyed a lot more than The Barbed Coil. She's also working on the final volume, Endlords, after a long hiatus. I'm eagerly awaiting for its release.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hello thread, so I have a book out, Order of the Magi! It’s free to grab this weekend on Amazon. Thread regular Leng was a beta-reader for it and seemed to like it, and I've since tightened it up based on their suggestions, so it should be a brisk and enjoyable read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CHN6S6/

quote:

Cantus dreams of glory in magical combat. He should have ample opportunities to win fame by hunting down rogue spellcasters for the Order of the Magi. But when a seemingly simple mission leaves him permanently disabled, he must journey to the center of the Auduwyn Empire to track down the errant mage who can heal him before his magic disappears entirely. To make matters worse, he soon discovers a growing threat that challenges the very fabric of the Order and the lasting peace it has established.

A story about hubris, fear, and the occasional fireball, the self-contained novel Order of the Magi transports readers into a world where magic only complicates matters and glory comes at a grisly cost.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

General Butt has set an unfortunately high standard for goon authors of speculative fiction. Here's hoping you beat the record.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I shall check it out!

Thread, are there any Sharpe in Space* type of books/series. In the same way that HH is Hornblower in Space.

*OK probably Sharpe on various planets and stations but SF Sharpe.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Happiness Commando posted:

General Butt has set an unfortunately high standard for goon authors of speculative fiction. Here's hoping you beat the record.

It's not a race!! Best of luck with the launch, CCS, that's a fantastic cover.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ccs posted:

Hello thread, so I have a book out, Order of the Magi! It’s free to grab this weekend on Amazon. Thread regular Leng was a beta-reader for it and seemed to like it, and I've since tightened it up based on their suggestions, so it should be a brisk and enjoyable read.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092CHN6S6/

I grabbed this here goonbook to add to my pile but I have to ask, do the cover runes mean anything? Were they your choice? Do I have to read and find out? :iiam:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

bagrada posted:

I grabbed this here goonbook to add to my pile but I have to ask, do the cover runes mean anything? Were they your choice? Do I have to read and find out? :iiam:

Those on the cover aren’t strictly speaking a code. I could talk about the composition and concept but I don’t want to spoil stuff. Apolar is great about hiding these things in his images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Ccs posted:

Those on the cover aren’t strictly speaking a code. I could talk about the composition and concept but I don’t want to spoil stuff. Apolar is great about hiding these things in his images.

It is a great cover. I'll look forward to reading then! :ms: