Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

Jan posted:

E:

It's not just me, apparently. Maybe the seeds you got were a bit old?
Interesting. Seems that may be it in my case. I dumped out the remainder of the two packets of seeds I had into a glass of water and nearly all of them floated; I know that isn't a 100% check for seed viability but we'll see. Soaked them and just dumped them all into a big container. Here's hoping for at least one shiso plant this year.

I'm in Korea so the "Korean shiso" (kkaenip) is a staple and you can buy the starts anywhere. Wish I had the file handy but a friend took some great photos a couple years back of an grandma that had a full-on shoulder-height kkaenip forest she was wading through.

edit: New page so here is a photo. My (potted) paw paw tree looks like it is going to finally flower this year. I've had it for about four years or so. Last year it started budding but they all dropped; this year it seems they are finally actually opening up.

guri fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Sludge Tank posted:

I really dont smoke either. I would loving love to but it just smashes my anxiety/paranoia button. I really just love growinh it for ornamental value, and all the different strains have such unique beautiful smells. Some smell like garlic, others like mango, some like diesel, some like orange or cheese or some indescribable smells. Its pretty amazing how diverse it can be. Even for non stoners its still a fantastic plant to grow. And easy.

I feel like the hundred years or so of prohibition created a situation a bit like farming hundreds of years ago, where there were small-scale growers everywhere breeding their own varieties but with limited opportunities for exchange. So now we basically have heirloom cannabis strains.

I also figure that with decriminalization, there must have been a ton of actual botanists/horticulturalists with serious plant breeding lab setups working on making new strains.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I feel like the hundred years or so of prohibition created a situation a bit like farming hundreds of years ago, where there were small-scale growers everywhere breeding their own varieties but with limited opportunities for exchange. So now we basically have heirloom cannabis strains.

I also figure that with decriminalization, there must have been a ton of actual botanists/horticulturalists with serious plant breeding lab setups working on making new strains.

That sort of thing already started taking off in the '70s and hasn't slowed down. With the advent of grow lights and an easier to control environment, they've been crossing the three major weed groups for quite a while looking to increase production, disease and pest resistance, and potency, plus auto flower. It's quite interesting.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you want a fun aromatic "sin" plant try growing hops! I love the way they look and smell in my garden. Hopefully I'll have enough to brew with this fall.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Help! I ordered 10 Thuja Green Giants trees, and they just arrived on my doorstep two weeks early. I wasn't prepared for this quite yet, so now I need some suggestions.

Here's what I ordered: https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/thuja-green-giant?variant=14923075780660
Here's how they look right now:

Here's the weather for the next ten days:

1. Can I plant these outside right now, or should I wait until it warms up a little bit?
2. Can I leave them in these plastic pots they came in for a few days, or even a week or two?
3. If I leave them in the pots, what do I need to do for them? Water twice a week and put near a window?
4. This is a broader question, but when I plant them outside, should I mix anything in with the existing soil? (I'm planning on doing some more research on this over the next few hours, but thought I should ask here too.)

Thanks!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BaseballPCHiker posted:

If you want a fun aromatic "sin" plant try growing hops! I love the way they look and smell in my garden. Hopefully I'll have enough to brew with this fall.

They’re both in the same family (Cannabaceae) as well. Only one will try to spread and take over your entire garden by growing 15-20’ bines.

You should still grow hops. They’re really cool, just don’t try to do it unless you want to commit to the space. Rhizomes and 2nd starts are available at basically every home brew shop right now.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Help! I ordered 10 Thuja Green Giants trees, and they just arrived on my doorstep two weeks early. I wasn't prepared for this quite yet, so now I need some suggestions.

Here's what I ordered: https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/products/thuja-green-giant?variant=14923075780660
Here's how they look right now:

Here's the weather for the next ten days:

1. Can I plant these outside right now, or should I wait until it warms up a little bit?
2. Can I leave them in these plastic pots they came in for a few days, or even a week or two?
3. If I leave them in the pots, what do I need to do for them? Water twice a week and put near a window?
4. This is a broader question, but when I plant them outside, should I mix anything in with the existing soil? (I'm planning on doing some more research on this over the next few hours, but thought I should ask here too.)

Thanks!

Plant them sooner than later. The best time to plant trees is actually the autumn, with spring being second-best.

You can probably leave them in the pots meanwhile, but they'd be happier in the ground.

Make sure to dig out the hole/trench to a decent depth - at least 1', preferably more. Some compost or soil amended wouldn't hurt. The main thing is to keep them watered (which is why it's better not to plant in the summer) Thuja plicata is indigenous to the PNW, so I suspect it would be hard to over-water.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

here's a dumb newbie question - when harvesting vegetables, do you pull the whole thing out or cut off the roots and leave them in the soil? obv. this doesn't apply to like beets and carrots but my rapini is looking pretty ripe and this is my first ever garden, what do?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chard posted:

here's a dumb newbie question - when harvesting vegetables, do you pull the whole thing out or cut off the roots and leave them in the soil? obv. this doesn't apply to like beets and carrots but my rapini is looking pretty ripe and this is my first ever garden, what do?
Depends on the plant. On rapini/broccoli rabe you can repeatedly take off the immature stalks and they'll regrow. Eventually the plant will decide gently caress it and 100% bolt and you'll get nothing but twiggy stems that immediately want to flower, but until that happens you want to take off not much more than you're planning on eating right then.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

BaseballPCHiker posted:

A buddy of mine has started growing and curing his own tobacco and rolling and smoking his own cigars with it and has had a blast doing it. Tobacco is a kind of pretty plant too and grows in a fairly wide variety of climates from the gulf coast up to New England.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Plant them sooner than later. The best time to plant trees is actually the autumn, with spring being second-best.

You can probably leave them in the pots meanwhile, but they'd be happier in the ground.

Make sure to dig out the hole/trench to a decent depth - at least 1', preferably more. Some compost or soil amended wouldn't hurt. The main thing is to keep them watered (which is why it's better not to plant in the summer) Thuja plicata is indigenous to the PNW, so I suspect it would be hard to over-water.

One thing I’d add here is that there’s a difference between watering frequently and standing in water (or close to it). Make sure that soil is well draining.

To test that, dig your hole and fill it with water. If it drains in ten minutes or less, you’re good. Otherwise you need to dig more and amend that soil with organic material like compost and the like.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
edit: drat app

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Apr 21, 2021

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Forecast calls for possible lows of 34 tonight. Debating whether and how I should try and protect the tomatoes and peppers I put in the ground last week. Probably just some buckets or empty planters? Gotta get some bricks to hold em down too because it's supposed to be gusty too.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A buddy of mine has started growing and curing his own tobacco and rolling and smoking his own cigars with it and has had a blast doing it. Tobacco is a kind of pretty plant too and grows in a fairly wide variety of climates from the gulf coast up to New England.

My grandfather had tobacco on his farm in VA back in the day. We used to hunt rodents in the fields all day. Those fields smell amazing but don't eat the leaves. I found that out the very, very queasy way.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

mischief posted:

My grandfather had tobacco on his farm in VA back in the day. We used to hunt rodents in the fields all day. Those fields smell amazing but don't eat the leaves. I found that out the very, very queasy way.
We ended up with a volunteer tobacco plant. Obviously don't eat it, but can you chew on the leaves without processing? How do you process them easily?

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Tobacco is grown as an ornamental in a lot of gardens, and it's supposed to be handy to make a sort of insecticide tea (for external use only lol). The only thing I know about human consumption is you usually would dry it first? Not sure if it's like cannabis where heating it makes it more bioavailable.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

There are drying and fermenting processes that make it palatable to smoke, no clue how it would affect leaf in mouth flavour or nicotininess

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol at anybody thinking of growing tobacco to chew on when they could be growing something actually good and useful like weed or dandelions

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Maybe look up indigenous american methods of preparing tobacco?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Schmeichy posted:

The only thing I know about human consumption is you usually would dry it first? Not sure if it's like cannabis where heating it makes it more bioavailable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7w2bbBRBRA

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

lol at anybody thinking of growing tobacco to chew on when they could be growing something actually good and useful like weed or dandelions
I don't think I'd ever grow it intentionally, but this one just shot up on its own. Might as well try and do something with it.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

eSporks posted:

I don't think I'd ever grow it intentionally, but this one just shot up on its own. Might as well try and do something with it.

You can also make an organic insecticide from tobacco if you're looking for a use that doesn't involve putting it inside yourself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Chad Sexington posted:

Forecast calls for possible lows of 34 tonight. Debating whether and how I should try and protect the tomatoes and peppers I put in the ground last week. Probably just some buckets or empty planters? Gotta get some bricks to hold em down too because it's supposed to be gusty too.

I wouldn't be in a panic over 34, but if you've got some buckets or a row cover handy I'd definitely use them. You're probably fine either way if they were properly hardened off.

If you've got incandescent Christmas lights you can use those instead.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
All of my plants (which mostly need to go into the ground like yesterday) were out of the greenhouse this morning because it was a billion degrees in there and I didn't feel like opening the windows. This afternoon I had to rush them back inside because of a severe thunderstorm with 60mph winds and hail. Now they have to stay in because it might snow tonight.

:psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I saw a hops plant this week and bought it on impulse, and also because I would have felt silly running a credit card for two bucks of used pots. One can never have too much pot.

I also picked up an agave and an Akebia quinata and a handful of herb and veggie starts. I’m looking forward to caring for a thistle (i.e. artichoke).

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hmm, have you seen the price of tobacco products recently? All those grow ops may be switching from weed at some price point.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I'm growing hops for the first time this year from rhizomes a friend gave me. I understand that they won't produce much the first year but I'm hoping they will at least climb enough to shade the window they're in front of. They popped their heads up about a month ago but since that haven't moved at all. I'm looking forward to this explosive growth once it warms up that I've read so much about.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It snowed a little bit this morning in zone 5b. yay...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

guri posted:

I'm growing hops for the first time this year from rhizomes a friend gave me. I understand that they won't produce much the first year but I'm hoping they will at least climb enough to shade the window they're in front of. They popped their heads up about a month ago but since that haven't moved at all. I'm looking forward to this explosive growth once it warms up that I've read so much about.

Im trying to remember but I think my first year from Rhizome they grew up maybe 2-3 feet total. The 2nd year they made it all the way up my trellis and then some. So you may have to wait at least a year until you really start seeing some growth.

guri
Jun 14, 2001

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Im trying to remember but I think my first year from Rhizome they grew up maybe 2-3 feet total. The 2nd year they made it all the way up my trellis and then some. So you may have to wait at least a year until you really start seeing some growth.
Good to know. I'm thinking I may add some morning glories to the same area to take over the shading work if the the hops don't really take off this year.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The first year they'll grow 5-8 feet okay the first year, but they can be thinner on foliage. All their work is being put into growing a big enough crown to support just how giant they can get next year. The second year they'll grow to almost full size with full foliage (third year for big harvest). Hops are very thirsty plants, and they can require regular heavy watering, but they don't like sitting in a swampy spot or their rhizomes can rot. Keep them well watered the first year and you'll have a better looking plant, but still only half as big as the next year. (Mine would climb 14' to my porch roof and then fall over and start climbing again.)

Once they're better established you'll have to train them, but once they're started going clockwise around their support they'll continue and be well behaved. The first bines will be hollow and you'll want to cut those back. The second wave of bines will be more solid and will be better suited to growing and flowering. At the end of the season you can cut them all the way back to the crown. They have higher nutrient needs, and while all the hop farmers I know will feed via computerized drip emitters now, normal people can just add a load of compost and then cover with leaves for winter.

If you're going to pick the flowers, there's a way to check if they're ready, as you don't want them to dry out and be leafy papery or you'll have lost all the oil in the lupulin glands and they won't smell as long or be as good for brewing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I'll add that I havent given mine that much special attention.

I water as necessary during the summer. And I use a 5-5-5 fertilizer sprinkled over the crown before watering maybe 2x a year. Other than that I just let them do their thing.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Zone 6. We just had that snow. I covered nothing and everything is fine. Pretty happy with my luck.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Anyone have any experience growing cascade hops on a trellis? Thinking of adding some to help cover a trellis around a deck but they’d have to go in a container/pot. In zone 8b.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

skylined! posted:

Anyone have any experience growing cascade hops on a trellis? Thinking of adding some to help cover a trellis around a deck but they’d have to go in a container/pot. In zone 8b.

I have read that they don’t like to grow in pots, but I’ve also never tried. Take that for what you will. I’ve wanted to grow them, but I live on a hill and it’s not super great for growing them either.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

Trellis is fine if it's big enough (but it won't be). Hops need a ton of space (could maybe get away with a 3' cube), so your container needs to be really very large or they'll be sad. Hops are beautiful and enormous plants with large root structure. I tried looking through my phone to see if I could find any pictures for scale, but I only have close ups because they're too big. I'd recommend taking a look at some pictures on google image search and see if it'll fit for you.

Hops grow fine on hills though, just mound up their crown a bit and maybe give them an edge to help with erosion and they'll be perfectly fine.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Man if I had known hops roots were going to come up I would've taken a picture!

I just split up the original rhizome to give to a friend and was shocked how much that rhizome had grown and expanded. I gave him a lot of roots and shoots and still had a ton leftover.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
What's wrong with my pepper seedling? Overwatering? Not enough fertilizer?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

NomNomNom posted:

What's wrong with my pepper seedling? Overwatering? Not enough fertilizer?

Can you tell us more about where it's been kept and how you've been watering/feeding it?

It could be reacting to cold or it could just need some cal/mag, or maybe it was getting rootbound and is cranky about it's nutrient uptake and it's been overwatered too. If it's fresh soil I'd guess the cold, if it's old soil that you didn't amend with nutrients, it's probably the cal/mag (and you can just fertilize gently). I like this chart for the basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've grown peppers in a teacup, I'm going to rule out rootbound.