Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I have questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

I have questions.

How do I turn a stairwell into a bathroom but also have it remain a stairwell?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This is so close to being a good idea.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm interested in the tank being built into the wall. I've seen some public toilets in europe like that, but not quite this specific design.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

PurpleXVI posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/gaHH2xH

I recognize some of the content in this gallery, but others are exciting new fuckups. Here are some teasers to encourage browsing the gallery:

How fuckin' thick is that wall?

ultrafilter posted:

I have questions.

The answer is "blumpkin."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm interested in the tank being built into the wall. I've seen some public toilets in europe like that, but not quite this specific design.

Usually when you build a toilet like that, you use a bowl hanging off the tank frame inside the wall rather than actually sitting on the floor.

It has advantages in terms of taking up less space(even if the wall often isn't thick enough for the tank and a false wall has to be built in front of it) and being much easier to keep clean(no space behind the tank or toilet bowl, easier to make a bowl with no nooks and crannies on the outside), but it has disadvantages in terms of maintenance in that if something catastrophic and hard to fix/impossible to fix happens inside, you're tearing down a piece of permanent structure rather than just yeeting a toilet off to the dump and installing a new one.

Also for wall-mounted toilets, the toilet seats are often much more specialized(because the shapes are often more unique) than for floor-mounted toilets, and you're often restricted to just the manufacturer's specific original seat, which is a problem if you bought from some minor manufacturer that goes out of business two years later or that no wholesaler or DIY store recognizes/remembers. It's a repeated issue for our customers if they've bought a house with a wall-mounted toilet or had one installed years ago and didn't keep the paperwork/manual.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I recently replaced the failed wax ring on a toilet in my house and I appreciate how stupid dumb simple toilets are now.

Water goes down the hole.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Thinking about putting a wall mounted toilet in my (only) bathroom because the current toilet has a like 16" rough-in and there's really no way to move it back (no I don't want a rear discharge toilet) and when you sit on it your knees are in the shower. It sucks, an in-wall toilet would save so much room and look amazing.

Also my current plan is to install it myself so I'm really hoping to not become a candidate for this thread.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The nail is the cherry on top.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kid sinister posted:

Where else am I supposed to hang my death cord when it’s not plugged in?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Low effort LAN Killer. But for the user.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kid sinister posted:

:stare:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/MildCuthbert/status/1384827771973554177

26 Cirque Drive, Footscray, Vic 3011

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I wonder how many amps that lamp cord can handle, and on a related note I wonder what kind of power tools and battery chargers and lights they regularly have plugged in out in the carport

at least they don't have to worry about overloading the ground

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Arrrgghh, it's literally as easy to do that with wiremould and not accidentally manslaughter your friend's kids when they come over.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

There would have been a time where I wouldn’t have minded this.

But certainly not for $384,000 USD and $440/sqft. That’s nuts no matter what.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

kid sinister posted:

even after reading the text i didn't get it until i thought about using this thing and then i had the OH moment and jesus i'm shivering

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Blue Moonlight posted:

There would have been a time where I wouldn’t have minded this.

But certainly not for $384,000 USD and $440/sqft. That’s nuts no matter what.

as a clever use of unused space, it isn't the worst design. 500,000 dollarydoos is just hilarious though

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Before I even saw this was Melbourne I was thinking I'd seen similar or worse when I was buying a couple of years ago.

2 bed 2 bath that close to the city is a very good price - even if it is on the historically "bad" side of town.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hmmm.

Okay, if you're gonna have it like that, and that's an if you can see from space, but if you are, I'd say you want to leave no room for misunderstandings which is the carport and which is the laundry side.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New construction house. Well ran out of water. Maine (self.legaladvice)

quote:

I bought a new construction house in Maine at the end of last year and my well ran out of water.

The well company came out and confirmed the water is just too low. Pump works fine. Their proposal is to add more water for the time being and try to frack the well in hopes that it will open a better pocket of water.

The secondary barrier is with how the property is set up, the truck wouldn't be able to get up to the well to frack it without me building an access road.

I know there is some kind of new construction warrantee here in Maine but I don't understand what it covers. If anyone knows more about this law I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks in advance!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Sirotan posted:

Thinking about putting a wall mounted toilet in my (only) bathroom because the current toilet has a like 16" rough-in and there's really no way to move it back (no I don't want a rear discharge toilet) and when you sit on it your knees are in the shower. It sucks, an in-wall toilet would save so much room and look amazing.

Also my current plan is to install it myself so I'm really hoping to not become a candidate for this thread.

I would suggest not installing it yourself unless you're quite familiar with plumbing work. Not because it's necessarily very hard to do if you know how to follow the instructions, but because if you gently caress it up you've now got a well-hidden leak that can do a lot of fun hidden damage until it makes something collapse.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

PurpleXVI posted:

I would suggest not installing it yourself unless you're quite familiar with plumbing work. Not because it's necessarily very hard to do if you know how to follow the instructions, but because if you gently caress it up you've now got a well-hidden leak that can do a lot of fun hidden damage until it makes something collapse.

Yep totally agree with you there, that is the part I'm still waffling on. It may end up being that I do the general construction part of the install and the hire out the plumbing portion. I've got 6+ months to think about it. Really dreading the whole ordeal since it's the only shitter I've got.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Yep totally agree with you there, that is the part I'm still waffling on. It may end up being that I do the general construction part of the install and the hire out the plumbing portion. I've got 6+ months to think about it. Really dreading the whole ordeal since it's the only shitter I've got.

Also if your drain plumbing for the current toilet is like, almost a foot and a half out from the wall, be prepared to get that floor hacked up and the drain moved if you want to get the maximum out of your wall mount.

Have you considered hiring a... I'm not sure what the English term is, but here in Denmark generally if you're doing some medium/long-term work that makes your home unlivable(no bathroom, for instance), you can rent what's basically a small mobile home with plumbing to park on your front lawn for the duration. It'd mean the work wouldn't happen to have in a rush, and it would give you some breathing space if unexpected difficulties popped up with either work or supply.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

New construction house. Well ran out of water. Maine (self.legaladvice)

THis is why around here, when well techs are taking the course to get their licences, they tell them "don't put that poo poo somewhere its hard to get at".

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

At that point, isn't it arguably easier to drill a new well somewhere more accessible? Sure, the drilling probably costs a fortune, but still?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Computer viking posted:

At that point, isn't it arguably easier to drill a new well somewhere more accessible? Sure, the drilling probably costs a fortune, but still?

That depends entirely on how deep thy need to drill for a well and exactly what it would take to make an "access road". A dude in a miniex for a day is going to be a lot cheaper than drilling any new well.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

PurpleXVI posted:

Have you considered hiring a... I'm not sure what the English term is, but here in Denmark generally if you're doing some medium/long-term work that makes your home unlivable(no bathroom, for instance), you can rent what's basically a small mobile home with plumbing to park on your front lawn for the duration.

the solution in the US is generally a portable chemical toilet, sort of a closet-sized room that's like a mobile outhouse.

US terminology is almost always a trademark used as a common noun: Porta-Potty, Port-a-John, Pret a Porter (that one is fake), Biff

Jows
May 8, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

the solution in the US is generally a portable chemical toilet, sort of a closet-sized room that's like a mobile outhouse.

US terminology is almost always a trademark used as a common noun: Porta-Potty, Port-a-John, Pret a Porter (that one is fake), Biff

I like "blue room".

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Jows posted:

I like "blue room".

holy poo poo, as it were, I love that.

are there other intestinal* regionalisms/local terms, not just in American English? this kind of thing is fascinating to me.

*interesting, but I can't not leave that typo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I have had FAR shittier living spaces than this. The only loving stupid thing is the price

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Seriously bummed that they don't include a pic of the stairs in the listing

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Computer viking posted:

Easier? Maybe?

Cheaper? Not likely. Drilling ain't cheap.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd be calling the builders and ask what the gently caress. Typically there is a 1 year warranty on everything for new builds.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That 1 year warranty only lasts until the builder declares "bankruptcy" and stands up a new LLC the next week.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Luckily the builder of my house has been around since 2003.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

holy poo poo, as it were, I love that.

are there other intestinal* regionalisms/local terms, not just in American English? this kind of thing is fascinating to me.

*interesting, but I can't not leave that typo

Honey Bucket is a good one.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also if your drain plumbing for the current toilet is like, almost a foot and a half out from the wall, be prepared to get that floor hacked up and the drain moved if you want to get the maximum out of your wall mount.

Have you considered hiring a... I'm not sure what the English term is, but here in Denmark generally if you're doing some medium/long-term work that makes your home unlivable(no bathroom, for instance), you can rent what's basically a small mobile home with plumbing to park on your front lawn for the duration. It'd mean the work wouldn't happen to have in a rush, and it would give you some breathing space if unexpected difficulties popped up with either work or supply.

An anleggsbrakke, plus the usual Danish/Norwegian mangling? Yeah, I genuinely have no idea what that'd be in English either. I think the technical term is something like "modular workplace housing".

Basically, I get what he means, and it's not a festival toilet, it's a shipping container sized building with plumbing you hoist into place and live in for the duration.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Like an office trailer?
https://www.willscot.com/mobile-offices/office-trailers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I thought there was nothing more offensive to me than the toilet in the shag cave.

Then I saw this