Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Towns, Lyle, Slim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

zoux posted:

Oh is that all

I'm being glib and yes good things are possible but "complete transformation of american life from top to bottom in the space of a single generation" isn't. It's never happened in any society, absent like, Mongol invasion. The circumstances in America aren't remotely close to where it would have to be for the sort of insane violent revolution black swan event that transforms America into Good in our lifetimes to occur.

Here's the thing.

A few years ago I'd be saying the exact same thing, now i'm living out of my car in between where friends will let me stay under a roof for a few night, denied SSI, and increasingly being ground into the dirt by a society that very obviously wants me to gently caress off and die. If I didn't have an extremely generous ex-neighbor I don't know what I would've done during that deep freeze event in feb.

I ain't looking forward to it, I will fully admit I expect to die within the next few years, in pain, and not having accomplished much, but once you have enough former believers in the system that notice everything has gone to goddamn poo poo and progress can only be measured in the number of police stations burned, well...

Doesn't matter if its impossible, no matter how many people say it ain't gonna work; as biden and co completely fail to address underlying causes, well, folks are gonna have a go at it. It's easier than just waiting around to die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I can understand that.

https://twitter.com/taygoldenstein/status/1385026465763250176

Ah rip

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1385051365903327232

Congratulations to the University of Texas for coming up with the stupidest possible resolution to this problem

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Separate but equal marching band

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1385051365903327232

Congratulations to the University of Texas for coming up with the stupidest possible resolution to this problem

I know my perception is mostly formed by alumni emails but Hartzell strikes me as much more of a good ol boy than Fenves ever was.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Sab0921 posted:

yeah really, good lord

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

There’s only one good “marching” band in Texas and it’s the MOB.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

Oof

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cael posted:

There’s only one good “marching” band in Texas and it’s the MOB.

quote:

In 1973 the Texas A&M Aggies took exception to a MOB performance which featured such typical MOB irreverence as Nazi-style goosestepping, turning the Aggie War Hymn into "Little Wooden Soldier March", and forming a fire hydrant while playing "Oh Where, Oh Where Has My Little Dog Gone?" in reference to the Aggie mascot Reveille.[6] After the game, the Aggies formed an angry mob outside Rice's own stadium, trapping the Owl band inside for hours until police dispersed some of the crowd and allowed the band to exit, transported by food service trucks. In the years after this now-infamous show, attention has been focused on the shot at Reveille, and that this was an attempt to mock the mascot shortly after her death; in fact it was no more than "poorly-aimed scatological humor",[7] the mascot in question having been alive and present at the game.

lol

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Fuckin Aggies

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

zoux posted:

The co-author of SB 30 is Royce West. Yeah it's hosed up that black kids have to be taught this, but while we're working towards an equitable society, a lot of black leaders see the value in teaching kids how not to be murdered by our racist criminal justice system. This is basically created formal curriculum for "the talk" black parents have to have with their kids about how to act around cops.

It's like those "here's 10 tips not to get date raped" things that spark outrage every fall. Yeah, it's hosed up that women have to worry about getting raped, and yes we should do everything we can to kill rape culture and toxic masculinity but since that's going to take a reaaaaaally long time, keep an eye on your drink because there are some creeps out there.

One of these things is a societal blight inherent to human nature and will be fought against till the end of time. Punishing offenders and empowering victims with ways to defend themselves is going to be the only way to handle this.

The other is the state telling us that there's nothing to really be done with the state killing everyone it feels like, but maybe you should have a chat with kids about how to not be murdered by the state. Have you considered being more compliant, citizen?

LanceHunter posted:

I'm living in the top floor of a five-over-one building on the same block as a subway station. It's almost fully occupied and a fun place to live. I know there's a strong urge to try and justify ones aesthetic dislike of something by giving it some kind of social justice veneer (see the "toxic masculinity" car club argument), but it rarely reflects reality.

I'm not knocking the aesthetic; I'm stating the trend and making a gentrification joke while bitching that decent housing isn't affordable for drat near anyone. I'm sure very expensive apartments in the kind of city that would have a subway are fun though and I'm happy for you.

zoux posted:

Yeah "defund the police" is probably the biggest messaging misstep committed by the left in recent memory. I'm generously using misstep here.

*later post, added to keep my own post shorter and make it more coherent*
Well, here in Texas they're going to pass a law, supported widely by both parties, that literally bars cities from reducing their police budget year-to-year without voter approval, because of "defund the police". Dems literally have to vote for it because they don't want to be used against them in campaigns because loving nobody supports "defund the police". It's a demand lol. It's performative radicalism that's actually preventing real policing reform.

Houston PD doesn't need tanks. They don't need money for tanks. They don't need money to send all the cops to someone's important cousin's racial sensitivity clinic either.
Governing based on "well what if the performative GOP backlash is worse!" is a large part of why we are where we are and mostly just exists as a really handy way for the Dem affiliated side of the political class to launder extremely reactionary (and profitable) policy as the Good and Sensible option for well meaning people. Of course a policy isn't going to poll well when you have decades of vehement support from both the media and politicians saying that, if anything, the cops just need more money. They'd be less racist if we just gave them cooler machine guns and new ways to monitor black people economically disadvantaged zip codes. Have you considered being more compliant? The boy deserved it. Shouldn't have disobeyed.

The answer isn't to give these assholes more money to fight a loving drug war with. I don't give a god drat what the GOP, or the Dems, think about that.

eSporks posted:

If people that oppose "defund the police" but support "lowering police budget and investing in communities", used all that energy to re-brand the movement instead of attacking it, then maybe we could get progress. But nope, the left is just going to eat itself over how to properly message itself to its opponent.

that is literally what the thing means though?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 22, 2021

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
people are literally getting murdered by the police but we're once again having the debate about whether dems delicate sensibilities are being offended with the word 'defund'

these people are not your loving allies and will never vote for any meaningful change.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Manager Hoyden posted:

Who are the people who enforce the law in this situation

Ye Olde City Guard?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Sardonik posted:

Gimmie that Vienna style social housing:

Woah, looks like someone took a slice out of an O'Neil cylinder.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ye Olde City Guard?

In the cities. In the countryside it would be soldiers from the local noble's retinue. A local peasant militia or posse of vigilantes would also be possible depending on the time and place. Same fuckers as we have now, just more disorganized and called different names.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that there's a good chance the House will add medicaid expansion to the budget bill during floor debate today.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Marxalot posted:

One of these things is a societal blight inherent to human nature and will be fought against till the end of time. Punishing offenders and empowering victims with ways to defend themselves is going to be the only way to handle this.

The other is the state telling us that there's nothing to really be done with the state killing everyone it feels like, but maybe you should have a chat with kids about how to not be murdered by the state. Have you considered being more compliant, citizen?
Well said. Huge difference between being taught how to protect yourself from evil monsters, and telling kids they have to accept the way evil monsters will treat them. It's just passing the buck on the police issue and saying certain kids of a certain demographic don't know how to properly be arrested and that's the real problem.

quote:

that is literally what the thing means though?
Yea, I'm not sure what part is the issue. So many people support the concept but the hate the slogan. Instead of changing the conversation away from the slogan, they just exhaust all their energy fighting something they agree with.
Those people are the ones with bad messaging. They are the ones doing a disservice for devil's advocating their own beliefs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ok well, how's the defunding going then?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

eSporks posted:

Yea, I'm not sure what part is the issue.

Part of the issue is every time someone says “It just means divert some money to social program”, someone else comes along and says “No, abolish the police!” The factions behind the message are definitely not unified.

In addition, it’s a message that divides. A message that unites would be something like “Support our police by funding social services.”

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I think there's a huge amount of people that fall perpetually into the "I support social services... But" camp. Rhetoric like "I support I social services, but where is the money going to come from." And "I know we need to change policing, but what do we replace it with"
Defund directly addresses both.

Now if those people are genuine in their concerns,they should stop attacking the movement. Try and re-brand it as "reinvesting in non-violence" or something.

I don't think most of those people are genuine though. They are just mad that someone else is getting social services they aren't. Because they worked hard for what they got. They want to see unworthy people punished, and you won't change that.

So, if you genuinely support the concept, but hate the messaging. Work to shift it.
If you keep fighting against something you supposedly agree with, I'm just going to assume it's not genuine agreement. The Devil has enough advocates.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

nelson posted:

“Support our police by funding social services.”
That doesn't work, and hasn't worked. Cops don't need more tanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not advocating for the devil, I think the slogan is stupid, I don't think it has a constituency, it has resulted in no policies. There isn't a city in America that has meaningfully cut police budgets, and they sure as poo poo aren't going to now when the temperature is much lower than it was six months ago. Spending on LEAs is actually slightly up.

You do have broad agreement on reforming the police, demilitarizing it, redirecting funding, increasing diversion programs and community treatment beds. There are places where progress can be made, in the near term, but Defund works at cross purposes to this, giving reform opponents a bogeyman they can and indeed already have used to roll back reforms or make future reforms harder.

"Defund the Police" for is letting people feel badass by shouting (well, posting) radical slogans, and as far as that goes it's very effective. But policy making isn't The Secret, wishing doesn't make it so. I think a lot of the problem is that people want to fix the policing problem, but they also want to own the cops and make them feel bad and cry. I don't care about cop feelings I care about reducing harms caused by our racist and dysfunctional criminal justice system.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

eSporks posted:

That doesn't work, and hasn't worked. Cops don't need more tanks.

What about that implied more tanks?

I don’t think it’s ever been tried. Instead of the current bill that places limits on reducing police budgets, what if the law said whenever police funding is increased, social services funding shall also increase by at least the same amount. Whenever social services are cut, the police budget must also be cut by at least the same amount.

nelson fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 22, 2021

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I agree with all of that, Zoux.

Do you say the same things in public though, do you say the same things in a discussion if someone brings up how scary defund the police is?

My argument, is that if you do, you are attacking your own beliefs. You should put that effort into rebranding the message into something more palatable.

I'm not meaning to specifically target you either, but anywhere public discussion is taking place. Media, podcasts, legislators, influencers, the dinner table.

If you support the idea and not the message, it's your responsibility to work on changing the message.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

eSporks posted:

If you support the idea and not the message, it's your responsibility to work on changing the message.

It’s terrible slogan. Placing the burden on individuals to change the slogan doesn’t make it better.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
zoux apparently hasn’t been to a protest in the last while if he just thinks it’s being posted lmao.

Also, due to the strength of the slogan, police departments are actually being funded less in some areas.

Here’s a news article about it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/07/us-cities-defund-police-transferring-money-community

zoux (my autocorrect keeps wanting to change your name to spud lol) is correct in that the slogan invented recently hasn’t fully come to fruition in just over a year or so though. I guess that’s technically a correct point.

The rest is liberal handwringing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes, I say the same things in public, but, like all of you, I don't have any conservative friends. I'm not on facebook, I don't ever interact with conservatives, besides from my parents, ever. Everyone in D&D is within one or two clicks of each other in terms of politics, which is why the "defund" posturing around here makes me roll my eyes.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
*zoux, while constantly emitting a 37 second fart*

but how will ‘defund’ play in Vidor?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I worry more about how it plays in Austin and here's how it's going: It's increasingly likely that cities are about to be legally barred from reducing their police budgets by a single penny, and that's exactly because of "Defund the Police". So, there's your measurable policy outcome.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 22, 2021

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Oh no a setback. Let’s roll back out slogans to appease the gop, fellas. That’s worked in the past.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

Oh no a setback. Let’s roll back out slogans to appease the gop, fellas. That’s worked in the past.

Seems like the slogan is more important than the purpose, which is of course, exactly what I've been saying.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

zoux posted:

Seems like the slogan is more important than the purpose, which is of course, exactly what I've been saying.

No. You just somehow don’t understand that conservatives are resistant to change. Which doesn’t undermine the value of the slogan and it’s positive effects elsewhere. It just means we have a conservative majority in our state currently.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I guess a better question would be: zoux, in your infinite centrist wisdom, what slogan do you feel would accomplish the policy goals behind the Defund slogan that has so offended your delicate sensibilities?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There isn't a slogan that accomplishes that, because issues are complex, and so are the solutions.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
So you're just grumpy and have no real solution except that the slogan, chosen by black politicians and leaders in the black community, should go away because Texas didn't immediately defund their police departments since last May?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Captain Monkey posted:

Also, due to the strength of the slogan, police departments are actually being funded less in some areas.

This is the Texas Politics thread, not the Some Areas Politics thread.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

nelson posted:

Austin literally led the pack in the amount defunded.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

nelson posted:

The slogan is national, and it is what is being discussed.

Also,

Sardonik posted:

Austin literally led the pack in the amount defunded.

good post though I guess.

edit:

Also George Floyd, the man whose death led to the slogan becoming popularized last May had strong ties to the Houston community. And there were enormous marches all over Texas with the slogan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

zoux posted:

There isn't a slogan that accomplishes that, because issues are complex, and so are the solutions.

So you understand the slogan isn't the issue and that by focusing on it you are just signal boosting for the opposition and creating a divide with people you agree with for no reason.