Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

John_A_Tallon posted:

Can you post the content from that? If you're not logged into Twitter you can't see it.

I'm not logged in and I can. Maybe try opening in a private window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I got registered in British Columbia to get my shot, I'm American and get to wait until June to get mine. It's sooner for 40+ but I'm 39 until June so alas

Seeing the differences in healthcare stuff is wild

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

Australians could potentially pick up a sizzling sausage when getting their Covid jab with hardware giant Bunnings offering its car parks as mass vaccination hubs.

Bunnings has an open offer to help the federal government with its vaccine rollout and health experts say the proposal could be an effective way of distributing vaccines in suburbs while engaging local communities.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/22/jab-and-go-bunnings-offers-to-host-vaccination-hubs-to-help-get-economy-back-on-track

This is an amazingly good idea. New Zealand also has Bunnings and is struggling with its vaccination rollout.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/apr/22/victorious-over-covid-australia-and-new-zealand-grapple-with-vaccine-rollout

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Got my second dose on Sunday, only side effects seem to be mild chills and winning a state lottery.

Hello.
Remember to check SA Mart when you do your Christmas shopping this year then pleeeeaaase.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hoping they're going to be doing this by the time I can get the jab. Would defiantly get my Vaccination snag after the needle. :australia:

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

A snag and a jab would be great.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Pyrtanis posted:

I got registered in British Columbia to get my shot, I'm American and get to wait until June to get mine. It's sooner for 40+ but I'm 39 until June so alas

Seeing the differences in healthcare stuff is wild

That's interesting. I'm in Alberta, and I'm 39 until November. All the websites and news articles said "people born in 1981" as well as "people 40+" so I called our provincial health hotline to clarify if it meant I wouldn't count because my birthday was in November. The nurse on the line said everyone born in 1981 counted even if they hadn't had their birthday yet this year.

Is there someone you could talk to and ask the same?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

quote:

NSW's health workers are shunning the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine, Minister Brad Hazzard says, with a "70 to 80 per cent" drop in jabs since blood clot concerns were raised.

Mr Hazzard said there had been a "70 to 80 per cent" drop in people turning up for appointments in the past two weeks, after the federal government acted on advice from its expert panel that the Pfizer vaccine should be given to Australians aged under 50.

quote:

Before the federal government's announcement, 128 health workers got the AstraZeneca jab at a Sydney vaccination hub — but on the same day two weeks later, no one turned up.

Mr Hazzard said he was hoping "that will turn around in the next few weeks".

It's understood that approximately 50 per cent of health care workers are under the age of 50, but there's no clear indication of the age of health care workers refusing the AstraZeneca vaccine.

"But if our borders were to open we will certainly have to learn to live with the virus and therefore each of us as individuals are going to have to weigh up our own risk in the context of the broader risk of COVID."

Mr Hazzard said he was concerned people in NSW were more likely to shun the vaccine, because they had been protected from the worst of the pandemic.

"Victorians seem to be still very keen to get the vaccine or a lot keener than we are in New South Wales at the moment," he said.

"They know once the border opens there are some real issues."

quote:

Health care workers in NSW are being vaccinated with either Pfizer or AstraZeneca.

All health care workers in regional areas are receiving the AstraZeneca shot, but numbers have not dropped off as sharply as in Greater Sydney.

There are about 50,000 health care workers in NSW who are yet to receive their first dose of the vaccine.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-22/nsw-healthcare-workers-cancelling-covid19-vaccinations/100087090

My daughter is one of the NSW Health employees who hasn't yet been vaccinated. She's (well) under 50 and she's in a regional area. Hazzard's statement infuriates me and it's not going to reassure anyone that the right thing to do is ignore the expert advice and have the AZ vaccine. These morons can't stop putting their feet in their mouths.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

John_A_Tallon posted:

Can you post the content from that? If you're not logged into Twitter you can't see it.

I think that might be a problem with your browser, I'm able to see it just fine in an incognito window.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
An elderly friend of mine in Melbourne Australia rang up to make a vaccine booking today and got a slot within the hour so he caught the train into town, was in and out of the mass vaccination hub in just 25 minutes and made it back home less than 2 hours after he'd made the phone call. So at least it's going smoothly! Now we just have to keep nagging everyone else in Australia to get a jab when their age bracket opens up.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Things seem kinda bad in India. I suppose it's just another data point on the rightwing fucksticks mishandling the pandemic chart

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I get to see some of my family in person tomorrow for the first time since 2019 :toot:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

I get to see some of my family in person tomorrow for the first time since 2019 :toot:

Enjoy!

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thank you! I hope everybody here who hasn't already been lucky enough to do so also gets the same privilege soon. (Shouldn't ever be a "privilege" but you know what I mean.)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

freebooter posted:

I'm glad for you. Do you have anything special planned?

It's now 3 years for me and it'll likely be at least another one until I can get to the UK to see mine.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Helith posted:

I'm glad for you. Do you have anything special planned?

It's my dad and my uncles for Anzac Day long weekend sooooooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hOK5JF5XGA

(You'd think that having been through Meme Mainstreaming this would now suck, but nah, it still slaps)

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Patiently waiting for enough time to lapse that the Greens' suggestion from months ago of developing mRNA vaccine manufacturing capabilities here in in Aus can finally be rediscovered by the LNP without the need to admit that those loving hippies might have been on the money and then actually implement it as if it's their own great plan.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gay picnic defence posted:

Things seem kinda bad in India.

Hospitals all across the country are running out of oxygen
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1384457379513700352
https://twitter.com/HospitalRathi/status/1384925659315724288
https://twitter.com/Milan_reports/status/1385146535214673921
https://twitter.com/Milan_reports/status/1385070528080142338
Etc etc etc etc

Crematories are working 24/7 to handle the huge increases in deaths but they're running the ovens so long that the grates are melting and the chimneys falling apart, so people are resorting to burning their deceased family members in funeral pyres.
https://twitter.com/Murtazach_/status/1385145883411423233
https://twitter.com/aaquib7086/status/1384950368245780490
Some states have gone as far as to deregulate cremation
https://twitter.com/65thakursahab/status/1385047884215767042

There's huge lines of ambulances outside most of the hospitals waiting for beds to open up, and some hospitals are stacking 2 or even 3 patients in each bed. Many people who missed out on an ambulance just have to lie in the street outside the hospitals hoping a bed might open up.
https://twitter.com/Oneindia/status/1384861978926198785
https://twitter.com/MirrorNow/status/1384916087431598087

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Maybe they should start using compressed air or something

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

gay picnic defence posted:

Maybe they should start using compressed air or something

If someone needs 100% oxygen it doesn't really work that way.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Covid outbreak at my office this week.

One of the managers came into work on Monday the 12th "with bad allergies" and proceeded to cough and sneeze up a storm. By Friday the 16th he feels absolutely terrible and gets tested, turns out he's got covid. The other manager was in a conference room with this guy several times throughout the week. On Sunday the 18th he feels like poo poo, gets tested, also has covid.

On Monday the 19th two customer service agents come into work and are coughing and sneezing. Thankfully the senior manager tells them to leave and get tested. Boom, two more cases.

Yesterday a driver feels a headache and fever coming on, goes for a rapid test which comes back positive.

There are about 40 people in my building max, one guy just took out 12% of our staff so far. I feel like I dodged a bullet since I've been working at another building for the past 2 weeks and already planned next week as a week off.

Senior manager asked patient zero where he might have caught it, he admits he's been going to bars and parties and stuff pretty much non-stop since covid started. Cool, cool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, and here I was coming in to post about my immunity day :(

Things look hosed in India.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Picnic Princess posted:

That's interesting. I'm in Alberta, and I'm 39 until November. All the websites and news articles said "people born in 1981" as well as "people 40+" so I called our provincial health hotline to clarify if it meant I wouldn't count because my birthday was in November. The nurse on the line said everyone born in 1981 counted even if they hadn't had their birthday yet this year.

Is there someone you could talk to and ask the same?

Maybe it's a provincial difference? The person I talked to was a "vaccine representative" so I'm not sure if they were a nurse or a call center person; I think TELUS is involved in this? Also it's just a month and a half, I'm on a visitor visa (long story) and can bunker down and wait it out if needed.

EDIT: Apparently I could sign up thru a govt site, it confirmed I was eligible but they are waiting on more doses, so I'm booked in with London Drugs, I'll cancel the other if I get vaxxed

Pyrtanis fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 22, 2021

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Here's a case of "alarmist headline for bad, but not terrible, news"...

An unvaccinated worker set off an outbreak at a U.S. nursing home where most residents were immunized.

quote:

An unvaccinated health care worker set off a Covid-19 outbreak at a nursing home in Kentucky where the vast majority of residents had been vaccinated, leading to dozens of infections, including 22 cases among residents and employees who were already fully vaccinated, a new study reported Wednesday.

Most of those who were infected with the coronavirus despite being vaccinated did not develop symptoms or require hospitalization, but one vaccinated individual, who was a resident of the nursing home, died, according to the study released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Altogether, 26 facility residents were infected, including 18 who had been vaccinated, and 20 health care personnel were infected, including four who had been vaccinated. Two unvaccinated residents also died.

[...]

The outbreak involved a variant of the virus that has multiple mutations in the spike protein, of the kind that make the vaccines less effective. Vaccinated residents and health care workers at the Kentucky facility were less likely to be infected than those who had not been vaccinated, and they were far less likely to develop symptoms. The study estimated that the vaccine, identified as Pfizer-BioNTech, showed effectiveness of 66 percent for residents and 75.9 percent for employees, and were 86 percent to 87 percent effective at protecting against symptomatic disease.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

A Fancy Hat posted:

One of the managers came into work on Monday the 12th "with bad allergies" and proceeded to cough and sneeze up a storm. By Friday the 16th he feels absolutely terrible and gets tested, turns out he's got covid. The other manager was in a conference room with this guy several times throughout the week. On Sunday the 18th he feels like poo poo, gets tested, also has covid.

On Monday the 19th two customer service agents come into work and are coughing and sneezing. Thankfully the senior manager tells them to leave and get tested. Boom, two more cases.

Yesterday a driver feels a headache and fever coming on, goes for a rapid test which comes back positive.

There are about 40 people in my building max, one guy just took out 12% of our staff so far. I feel like I dodged a bullet since I've been working at another building for the past 2 weeks and already planned next week as a week off.

Senior manager asked patient zero where he might have caught it, he admits he's been going to bars and parties and stuff pretty much non-stop since covid started. Cool, cool.

LOL now I feel more justified in telling my boss if we open up before I'm fully vaxxed, I'll be working from home 100%

I've made it this far, I'll be damned if Linda and her jade vagina eggs or Jerry and his unironic use of the term "plandemic" take me out now :argh:

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

DemoneeHo posted:

Also i'm taking some strong immunosuppressants (TNF blockers) for other health issues, not sure if it's going to affect things with the vaccine.

Maybe keep wearing a mask.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/04/immunocompromised-vaccine/618596/

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The 2020 2021 Summer Olympics are already off to a bad start

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1385231930724126723

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

A Fancy Hat posted:

Sorry to hear that. I would hope that the majority of people would stay at home now when they feel even a little sick, but people that still don't treat this seriously at this point won't change their habits. I think until some people see/feel this first hand, they'll continue to tell themselves it's not a threat to them. So for every idiot that gets this virus, the chances rise that they and people close to them might start to take it a little more seriously.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

A Fancy Hat posted:

People really underestimate this thing and its like they can't fathom 3 million people are dead because of it.

46 hours in: Back to running the farm at almost 100%, ate macrons for breakfast, hardcore adulting.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The 2020 2021 Summer Olympics are already off to a bad start

https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1385231930724126723

Can't wait to find out about all the mutant COVIDs that the Olympic suck and gently caress village brings back to their respective home countries.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Gotta say, though, we really knocked the gently caress out of the flu this last year. Look at that graph...

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1385201786953342977?s=20

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

LanceHunter posted:

Gotta say, though, we really knocked the gently caress out of the flu this last year. Look at that graph...

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1385201786953342977?s=20
Conservatives have been taking this clear and obvious demonstration of the efficacy of masks and social distancing, and spinning it up into conspiracy theories for months.

You see, this is proof that (a) covid is just the flu and they're calling all flu covid, and/or (b) the measures *aren't* working because we don't have much flu this year and yet we still have covid, and obviously if it's working so well for flu it should work just as well for covid.

(never mind how we have allowed for uncontrolled flu spread every year before this one, even taking pride in going to work with it)

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I am curious what % of the pop will continue to wear masks long after they are vaccinated. Realistically, we should not see the flu get as bad as it ever has going forward (barring a major mutation) if at least ~20% of the pop wears masks. Trans-ocean flights were almost a tin can of cold and flu viruses, and as of now, I can't see myself not wearing a mask on one (wife's from Australia, and we live in Canada, so I have many more 14.5 hour flights in my future).

Wondering if I can wear masks for the 2+ hours wait in the airport in Canada, 3 hour flight to SF or LAX, 3+ hour wait in that airport, 14.5 to Sydney, then 1-2 hour through immigration/baggage. Almost a full day of wearing multiple masks in a row. And you may ask - will you wear a mask when sleeping on the long flight? Yes - I can't sleep on planes, so I'll be wearing one. Then you may ask - so you don't sleep for ~24 hours? Yup, Kragger is a grumpy Gus when he finally lands in Sydney (though my wife would say I'm that before we even leave Canada).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

I am curious what % of the pop will continue to wear masks long after they are vaccinated. Realistically, we should not see the flu get as bad as it ever has going forward (barring a major mutation) if at least ~20% of the pop wears masks. Trans-ocean flights were almost a tin can of cold and flu viruses, and as of now, I can't see myself not wearing a mask on one (wife's from Australia, and we live in Canada, so I have many more 14.5 hour flights in my future).

Wondering if I can wear masks for the 2+ hours wait in the airport in Canada, 3 hour flight to SF or LAX, 3+ hour wait in that airport, 14.5 to Sydney, then 1-2 hour through immigration/baggage. Almost a full day of wearing multiple masks in a row. And you may ask - will you wear a mask when sleeping on the long flight? Yes - I can't sleep on planes, so I'll be wearing one. Then you may ask - so you don't sleep for ~24 hours? Yup, Kragger is a grumpy Gus when he finally lands in Sydney (though my wife would say I'm that before we even leave Canada).

I'll be wearing a mask until US daily infection rates are under 100-500 (and locally almost null). I'll be fully vaccinated on May 4th.

I will wear one on a plane regardless probably from now on. I don't really give a poo poo about the flu and I never did. Flu shots weren't an option for me.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my kids' pediatrician said that they had 0 cases of flu at their office this season. it's a small branch office, but it's a small branch office in an area where there's not a lot of mask compliance, and it was cool to learn how much of a difference masks made

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

A Fancy Hat posted:

this kind of stuff is why we’re hosed. i could MAYBE understand this behavior at the very beginning of this but it’s been over a year now and people are still making the same dumbass mistakes

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah my friends who usually pick up every cold and flu going around all report that 2020 was their best year ever in that regard, even my friend with cystic fibrosis.

One of my other friends who almost always gets an intense upper resp tract infection this time of year nearly escaped scot free this season until she sat near an unmasked guy who had the sniffles last week and now she's sicker than she's ever been, laid up in bed on antibiotics and steroids with a side order of paracetamol because she's been coughing so violently her ribs ache. There's always one rear end in a top hat who's determinged to ruin it for everyone.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

PIZZA.BAT posted:

this kind of stuff is why we’re hosed. i could MAYBE understand this behavior at the very beginning of this but it’s been over a year now and people are still making the same dumbass mistakes

Knowing the guy that spread it - he's really loving dumb. I don't think he's an outright covid denier, but he's absolutely a "It's way overblown" guy.

I feel really bad for the other manager that got it, he pretty much locks himself at home outside of coming to work.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Empty Sandwich posted:

my kids' pediatrician said that they had 0 cases of flu at their office this season. it's a small branch office, but it's a small branch office in an area where there's not a lot of mask compliance, and it was cool to learn how much of a difference masks made

It's not just masks though? I assume your area had varying degrees of shutdown like most places, and that many of the travelers who would pick up viruses on their vacations/holiday visits/business trips didn't get a chance to spread whatever they would have caught.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not logged in and I can. Maybe try opening in a private window.

My adblocker was interfering.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Alot of people coming in today all hyper aggressive to try and skip ahead of the vaccination queue as if it will actually happen and i wont tell them to go gently caress their hats lmao