Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

• What Country are you in? US
  • What's your budget? Up to $5k
  • What's your use case? Quick runs to the store, joyriding
  • What's the fastest you'll need to go? 60 mph maybe? 70 if he gets on the freeway

I was cheeky and copied the OP from another thread. But I'm looking for a flat floor scooter for my pops. His hips are shot and chemo makes it hard for him to move his cruiser around. He's expressed interest in a scooter before so my preferences for him would be one that can do 60 mph, has a flat floor so his feet don't get caught going over the hump, and big wheels as opposed to smaller scooter wheels. I see that Honda makes the 300i SH but not for the US. Anyone got any recommendations? He might go on the freeway on it if he gets crazy, which he is prone to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the hump on a burgman 650 too much? My fear is that the only truly flat bottomed scooters are like 50cc models.

My elite 250 had one too. Although the helix 250 is probably the ideal bike for your requirements. My elite (same drivetrain) would do 75 on the freeway

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is the hump on a burgman 650 too much? My fear is that the only truly flat bottomed scooters are like 50cc models.

My elite 250 had one too. Although the helix 250 is probably the ideal bike for your requirements. My elite (same drivetrain) would do 75 on the freeway

That Elite 250 hump is pretty low and I think he can manage it. He certainly has the mechanical aptitude to get it running again too.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Coredump posted:

• What Country are you in? US
  • What's your budget? Up to $5k
  • What's your use case? Quick runs to the store, joyriding
  • What's the fastest you'll need to go? 60 mph maybe? 70 if he gets on the freeway

I was cheeky and copied the OP from another thread. But I'm looking for a flat floor scooter for my pops. His hips are shot and chemo makes it hard for him to move his cruiser around. He's expressed interest in a scooter before so my preferences for him would be one that can do 60 mph, has a flat floor so his feet don't get caught going over the hump, and big wheels as opposed to smaller scooter wheels. I see that Honda makes the 300i SH but not for the US. Anyone got any recommendations? He might go on the freeway on it if he gets crazy, which he is prone to do.

Look at the Genuine Buddy 170i. The Vespa GTS is a great option too if you can find a used one, they're a bit pricey new. Or even the Sprint or Primavera 150, they will do 65 no problem. (the Sprint has 12" wheels, a little larger than most other scoots of that size. I have no problems using mine on the freeway)

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 24, 2021

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

While those smaller scooters can do 65, they're not a great choice if you're going to be going longer distances at that speed. You'd probably want to be looking at at least a 250.

The Yamaha XMAX might be worth checking out if the lack of a flat floor isn't a deal breaker. https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/xmax. Or a lightly used BMW https://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/en/models/urban_mobility/c400x.html

If it's short trips only then a SYM Fiddle 200 (actually a 170cc) might be another one worth considering https://www.sym-usa.com/models/fiddle_III.html I have the 125cc version of this and while it's clearly built to a price, it's put together well and is a solid bike.

open24hours fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 24, 2021

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
^^^ that's a good point, of the ones I listed only the GTS is really meant for longer freeway trips, and is really the only 300cc flat bottomed scoot I can think of that's readily available here in the US. Most modern 150 class scoots will be ok for short freeway jaunts.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Piaggio Beverly 500 is probably the fastest close to flat floor scooter you can find.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cached Money posted:

Piaggio Beverly 500 is probably the fastest close to flat floor scooter you can find.

That hump is not bad at all either. Are those sold in the US? I know the BV 350 was at one point as I took one on a short test drive back in the day.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Coredump posted:

That hump is not bad at all either. Are those sold in the US? I know the BV 350 was at one point as I took one on a short test drive back in the day.

No idea, I'm in Europe, but I know I've seen something about police departments using them in the US, also if you can find a 350 they'd probably be alright too.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

There's a new anime out called Super Cub about a girl and her Super Cub. I don't really watch anime but I checked this one out for the scooters and, well, it's an anime. It's well reviewed, so if you're into anime you might like it. The art sure is nice though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Cub_(novel_series)#Anime

open24hours fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 19, 2021

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've seen a few BVs here in the USA but never a 500. But there's no Piaggio dealer in my entire state these days. I gotta say though the BV is really not all that much step-through in my opinion, that's a sizable maxi hump in the middle. Not like a Vespa GT.

Buddy 170 is genuinely step-through and light and easy to handle if your joints aren't in great shape (Vespa GT is fairly heavy) but the trade off is it doesn't feel great at high speed. The lightness and small wheels make it feel a bit twitchy and unstable compared to the bigger ones.

GT and B170 are the best options I think but you'll have to choose between high speed comfort (Vespa) and low speed comfort (Buddy).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

open24hours posted:

There's a new anime out called Super Cub about a girl and her Super Cub. I don't really watch anime but I checked this one out for the scooters and, well, it's an anime. It's well reviewed, so if you're into anime you might like it. The art sure is nice though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Cub_(novel_series)#Anime

I remember seeing ads for this. I'd have to check my phone to see if I snapped any pics of it...

e: !!! i did (on september 25, 2017)

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 21, 2021

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Would this be the place to ask about electric scooters? My friend's restaurant uses an UrbanMax [url=https://www.amazon.com/URBANMAX-Electric-Scooter-Adjustable-Braking/dp/B0874998KD/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF80(amazon link)[/url] electric scooter for deliveries, and the throttle connector wire rubbing inside the frame caused it to bend and stop working. I think one of the wires for the throttle inside the 5pin terminal was pulled out inside. Shockingly customer support is non-existent. It should be an easy replacement, but there are zero throttles, let alone thumb throttles, that use this connector. I believe it's called a micro DV connector.

Does anyone know where else to look, or what to look for in a replacement? Should I just cut the connector off and rewire with a new one? I know it's a no-name cheap amazon brand, so I hope it's not a lost cause.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My inclination would be to rewire it with a better connector (or bullets) and then shrink wrap, but you might be able to find it somewhere.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I rewired all the 22 gauge wires with spade connectors and now the display just beeps. May have fried the controller.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Reporting in with 150ish miles on my Honda Metro. I love it and use it for my commute every day that the weather allows. I have become a bit notorious in my small town with it due to its un-Red State appearance, the suits I wear, and my full-face helmets with cat ears on them. Some girls have left their phone numbers in the open pocket when I'm inside buildings. My wife resents the scooter.

I want a super cub too now but I have to get a real motorcycle license for it because it's a 125 :negative:

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Astronaut meme: The bike that gets girls is a Honda metro?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
You meet the nicest people, etc.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Danknificent posted:

I want a super cub too now but I have to get a real motorcycle license for it because it's a 125 :negative:
Those things have ABS despite having a drum brake in the rear. The most Honda of technologies

I watched the first two episodes of it last night. Not being an anime expert I don't know how it fits into standard animisms. But it was bizarrely chill in its story pacing. Like, almost nothing happens. She gets the bike and runs out of gas in the first episode, that's it. But she enjoys it and you get to see all the little details of owning an old rear end bike. It's kinda charming and I'm looking forward to more episodes where there are only the most minor of conflicts (sorry, conflict - singular) in the story but they are weathered and the main character grows from achievements and smiles at the end.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I've seen a few BVs here in the USA but never a 500. But there's no Piaggio dealer in my entire state these days. I gotta say though the BV is really not all that much step-through in my opinion, that's a sizable maxi hump in the middle. Not like a Vespa GT.

Buddy 170 is genuinely step-through and light and easy to handle if your joints aren't in great shape (Vespa GT is fairly heavy) but the trade off is it doesn't feel great at high speed. The lightness and small wheels make it feel a bit twitchy and unstable compared to the bigger ones.

GT and B170 are the best options I think but you'll have to choose between high speed comfort (Vespa) and low speed comfort (Buddy).
Also I forgot that a Hooligan would be a good option. Longer wheelbase, I think, than a Buddy, and larger wheels, but has the B170 engine. But it's also hideous. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Those things have ABS despite having a drum brake in the rear. The most Honda of technologies

I watched the first two episodes of it last night. Not being an anime expert I don't know how it fits into standard animisms. But it was bizarrely chill in its story pacing. Like, almost nothing happens. She gets the bike and runs out of gas in the first episode, that's it. But she enjoys it and you get to see all the little details of owning an old rear end bike. It's kinda charming and I'm looking forward to more episodes where there are only the most minor of conflicts (sorry, conflict - singular) in the story but they are weathered and the main character grows from achievements and smiles at the end.

To put this in perspective, that sounds eventful compared to most anime in the slice of life genre.

My state does not make finding out how to get a motorcycle license easy. Also there is too much rain in April. I have to take a car again today. :negative:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
What state? Your DMV/BMV/MVA/whatever website should have all the info.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The super cub anime is super chill. It’s literally watching someone figure out how to ride and making all the beginner mistakes except ~A N I M E~

Not gonna lie I’m on EP3

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

moxieman posted:

What state? Your DMV/BMV/MVA/whatever website should have all the info.

Missouri. I think I have to pass a written test and then do an actual little riding test too to get an M on my license.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Danknificent posted:

Missouri. I think I have to pass a written test and then do an actual little riding test too to get an M on my license.

https://mmsp2.msi5.com/faq.php

Take and pass a BRC (you should do this, even for your scoot) which waives the skill test at the DMV, then it’s just a written test.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

moxieman posted:

https://mmsp2.msi5.com/faq.php

Take and pass a BRC (you should do this, even for your scoot) which waives the skill test at the DMV, then it’s just a written test.

Thanks!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The super cub anime is super chill. It’s literally watching someone figure out how to ride and making all the beginner mistakes except ~A N I M E~

Not gonna lie I’m on EP3
Look at this guy thinking he's fancy with his funimation paid subscription

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

someone’s been upping them to youtube

wzm
Dec 12, 2004

I replaced the ignition switch on my series III TV175, and rode it for the first time in years. I forgot how slow they really are, but also how amazing it looks outside in the sunlight. After an hour of looking up current cylinder kits and exhausts, I looked up current prices for vintage scooters, and am now afraid to park it anywhere. Just like everything else, they've gotten expensive in the last 5-10 years. 8 years ago I sold an un-restored, but original and perfect SX200 for $7k, and that's not seeming like as great of a choice now as it did at the time.

When I picked this up around ~2003, the floorboards and side panels had been cut up to fit knobby tires, and it was an absolute rusty wreck. I spent a fortune on metal work, but I don't think I'd ever get rid of it now, after this long, it's stuck with me.

With any luck, enough people will get vaccinated that scooter rallys happen this year.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

That's a sweet scooter.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I just got a 2005 Vespa LX50 cheap, going to get it running tomorrow. I wonder if it's lacking an electric starter, or if I'm just looking in the wrong spot. Did all these come with an el-starter..?

ninja edit: pics inbound shortly

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
I got smoked on my bike by a dad and daughter on a 250cc Vespa at a traffic light yesterday. He told me his wife made him trade in his motorcycle and the scooter was the compromise. I was impressed by how quick it was (I'm also easily impressed).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

250 CVT bikes are surprisingly quick off the line. Or can be anyway

I had a Dr Pulley slider kit in my Elite 250 CVT and it put all of its power down off the line. Granted it didn’t make much power but what was there it used

If you sat back on the seat or hit any little bump it would wheelie

What I’m saying is for what they lack in top end, big scooters can hustle from a stop

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I like big scoots and I cannot lie. Yamaha bring the 530 TMAX to the usa! :argh:

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Honda PC800 (dork-factor: 7.5) is a bike pretending to be a bigass scooter, but can't technically be called one because of the engine layout.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

wzm posted:

I replaced the ignition switch on my series III TV175, and rode it for the first time in years. I forgot how slow they really are, but also how amazing it looks outside in the sunlight. After an hour of looking up current cylinder kits and exhausts, I looked up current prices for vintage scooters, and am now afraid to park it anywhere. Just like everything else, they've gotten expensive in the last 5-10 years. 8 years ago I sold an un-restored, but original and perfect SX200 for $7k, and that's not seeming like as great of a choice now as it did at the time.

When I picked this up around ~2003, the floorboards and side panels had been cut up to fit knobby tires, and it was an absolute rusty wreck. I spent a fortune on metal work, but I don't think I'd ever get rid of it now, after this long, it's stuck with me.

With any luck, enough people will get vaccinated that scooter rallys happen this year.

Lambrettas are so god drat cool, wish I could afford one

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Same. Also the color on that one is just gorgeous. God drat that is a beautiful machine.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Alright, maybe now I'll start using this thing.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Beautiful. They should have come that way from the factory. What's that weird headlight you have on your super cub?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's a Sym Symba. :negative:

(it's a cub clone with a bunch of weird one off parts that are impossible to find)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Ohh the honda logo on the seat threw me off. Sym Symba is basically unobtainium over here now. Best you are going to find is a rolling frame and a box of parts, none of which will ever be a complete bike again.