Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i think they're trying to shake their reputation as the place where you get poo poo you don't mind if it breaks the third time you use it, but i don't think they realize that prices them into a much more competitive market

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah. I noted this thing yesterday:

https://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-professional-ratchet-genuine-24-karat-gold-plated-56907.html

And in the comments...:

quote:

I would love to have this rare edition.. but I would never use it because its only so often to use a 3/8 drive in aviation work... please ICON. Make a 1/4 drive of this ratchet so I can buy one and flex on the snapon users.

About that ...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The self proclaimed tool daddy seems to love it.

I guess I have to use it with black sockets only because chrome will clash.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
For those of you that remember a few months ago, I was looking for some 12 point crow foot sockets.

The set that I ordered for 17 bucks (and paid 15 bucks to poo poo) was good, but didnt have the right size I needed 1 1/8"

SOOOOOO............ After looking for a while, I came across the snap on website, and bought (just to be sure) both 1 1/16" and 1 1/8" sockets.
Each socket costing more than the entire set that I bought a couple months ago.

I Finally got around to trying to tighten the fitting that has been just ever so slowly sweating out hydraulic fluid, and also to change a line that was leaking at the hose/fitting connection.

I was all like "gently caress yeah, finally going to do something about this poo poo".
Then I went to try and put the wrench on the fitting. Its too fuckin tall now.... :suicide:

To make things even more :negative: I asked the guy at the hydraulics shop for a bit heavier duty fitting and crimp for the line I had to replace, because that line sees pressure spikes up to 5000psi some times, and the new fitting is now a 1 3/16".

A goon up thread suggested I sand down the crow foot. gently caress, do I really want to do that to one that cost more than my entire set? FFFFFFFUUUUcccccckkkk!!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I've used a bench grinder to modify soooo many snap-on crow foots, shaving them down to fit in tight places, adjusting their size....

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

I have a friend who is an aviation tech, works on helicopters. His boss made him get snap-on tools because the master craft and power fist tools he was using didn’t “project the right image to customers”

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

personally i love that hf is making the ratchet equivalent of a grille

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Frank Dillinger posted:

I have a friend who is an aviation tech, works on helicopters. His boss made him get snap-on tools because the master craft and power fist tools he was using didn’t “project the right image to customers”

his boss had better have paid for them.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

personally i love that hf is making the ratchet equivalent of a grille

Same. If I still worked auto I would totally buy and rub it in the face of the guys decked out with snapon and matco.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Frank Dillinger posted:

what the gently caress person that owns a heli is looking over the shoulder of a tech?

Even if he works for somebody contracting out work for a leasing company...provide the tools if you're going to make it a requirement. So long as he can do the job...
If my company that did Apple-specific stuff told me to buy a MBP upon starting I'd tell them to gently caress off.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Crunchy Black posted:

what the gently caress person that owns a heli is looking over the shoulder of a tech?

Even if he works for somebody contracting out work for a leasing company...provide the tools if you're going to make it a requirement. So long as he can do the job...
If my company that did Apple-specific stuff told me to buy a MBP upon starting I'd tell them to gently caress off.

His father in law. It’s complicated!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Frank Dillinger posted:

His father in law. It’s complicated!

Nah, his FIL is a dick.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Elmnt80 posted:

Nah, his FIL is a dick.

he already said he owned a helicopter :v:

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021
Are there any scan tools that allow visualizing fuel trims that are not stupid expensive? Do the fancy $300 harbor freight scanners do anything that comes close to a real deal oem technicians scanner or snapon level multiple thousand dollar unit?

I am chasing fuel trim/maf/injector stuff and my bargain basement code reader is just not the right tool. Do you have recommendation? (early 2000s Toyotas)

I think I know the answer but hoping to be wrong.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've always used Torque and an elm327 Bluetooth adapter.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's mostly dependent on the car, in my experience. I could see it through Torque and my $18 Bluetooth tool on some cars, but others just didn't show up for whatever reason

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Just shipped my No-loving-Good Milwaukee M18 circular saw off to get warranty service. The first part was easy, Milwaukee just asks for model and proof of purchase, then prints out a prepaid FedEx label. I dropped it off for FedEx to pick up and we'll see how the process goes.

Last night, a week after shipping it out, I got an email with a tracking number from Milwaukee. Shows delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

No notes as to what they did, but I'm curious to see what shows up!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That's how both of my experiences were - there'll be notes in the box with whatever they ship back.

I look forward to finding out if it's a nicely packaged brand new tool or a battered box with your barely "fixed" tool hanging halfway out! :v:

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

New tool arrived:

I have their 1/2" 20v and love it. It is a beast. But it is either a bit big or overkill for a lot of things.
Initial impressions I have of the 3/8" is great size, decent power. I'm sure I will get a lot of use out of this thing going forward.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

That’ll get anywhere the 1/2” won’t and weighs a fraction what it does too. It’s one of those tools that has me eyeing an old Miata just so I can wrench more.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I want one of those, but can't justify it with already having the big hoss 1/2" and the 1/4" hex with various adaptors.

Them and a bunch of extensions and wobble joints really do make wrenching a whole lot easier, though my arms do get tired of hefting the big boy around all day for, say, dropping a transmission.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Those bug me because I already have the 3/8" Milwaukee because I wanted something smaller/lighter/faster than the big one, and if I'd held out, I'd have the same torque in a smaller/lighter(?)package. I'll probably end up buying the 1/2" stubby at some point, just can't really justify it.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Krakkles posted:

Those bug me because I already have the 3/8" Milwaukee because I wanted something smaller/lighter/faster than the big one, and if I'd held out, I'd have the same torque in a smaller/lighter(?)package. I'll probably end up buying the 1/2" stubby at some point, just can't really justify it.

Sell your compact and buy a stubby. It’s good

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I know it's been asked before but what are the threads fav ways to store their battery powered tools? I've got all Milwaukee M18, 5 batteries + drill, driver, circ saw, flashlight I'd like to store.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Depends on your application. Are you mobile (van/truck/trailer), or stationary (workshop)

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CarForumPoster posted:

I know it's been asked before but what are the threads fav ways to store their battery powered tools? I've got all Milwaukee M18, 5 batteries + drill, driver, circ saw, flashlight I'd like to store.

For my application, which is mostly in the shop at work, but sometimes at home or other places, I use bags.

:spergin:
Originally I got the drill and impact which came with a battery for each and a tool bag. I kinda wanted the hard case, but soon after I decided that the bag was better (IMHO), because I'm not limited to the molded spaces for what I can carry. Later I got two more batteries, and a bunch of other poo poo and I grew out of the bag. Milwaukee has discontinued its tool bags likely in favour of their packout stuff. But I went to Home Depot and just got a big-ish husky tool bag and it fits my Drill, driver, Sawzall, work light, m12 ratchet, nut fucker 5000, and most recently a 5 inch angle grinder. The bag is getting pretty heavy now though, so I might have to buy another and split things up.
The original tool bag that came with my drill and driver is now relegated to battery, bit set and blade carrying duty and still has a decent amount of room in it for more poo poo if I want.

Also, box vs bag: most bigger tool bags that I've seen come with a shoulder strap. Good if you've got a lot of heavy poo poo in your bag.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Someone in HCH whipped up some 3d printed "feet" with the same pattern as the battery interface and screwed them to the wall, pretty slick.

I like to leave them in a haphazard pile wherever I'm working though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm not 100% happy with this layout, but it works with the space I have (under the tool cart) and anything more elaborate would require a tool chest or some permanent built in solution I'm reluctant to do in a rental.

Bunch of 1/8" ply dividers with enough random spaces for driver bits, grinder disks, etc. The chargers and batteries just kinda pile up inelegantly and there's not a lot of room to expand.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Hoping to mount them somewhere visible so I can see when something is out of place

Elviscat posted:

Someone in HCH whipped up some 3d printed "feet" with the same pattern as the battery interface and screwed them to the wall, pretty slick.

I like to leave them in a haphazard pile wherever I'm working though.

lol this is also my current setup for most of them

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

For my application, which is mostly in the shop at work, but sometimes at home or other places, I use bags.

:spergin:
Originally I got the drill and impact which came with a battery for each and a tool bag. I kinda wanted the hard case, but soon after I decided that the bag was better (IMHO), because I'm not limited to the molded spaces for what I can carry. Later I got two more batteries, and a bunch of other poo poo and I grew out of the bag. Milwaukee has discontinued its tool bags likely in favour of their packout stuff. But I went to Home Depot and just got a big-ish husky tool bag and it fits my Drill, driver, Sawzall, work light, m12 ratchet, nut fucker 5000, and most recently a 5 inch angle grinder. The bag is getting pretty heavy now though, so I might have to buy another and split things up.
The original tool bag that came with my drill and driver is now relegated to battery, bit set and blade carrying duty and still has a decent amount of room in it for more poo poo if I want.

Also, box vs bag: most bigger tool bags that I've seen come with a shoulder strap. Good if you've got a lot of heavy poo poo in your bag.

You can still get the bags as a combo deal, thats how I got mine actually. And this is what I do with the drill driver and batteries but I find that I always have a battery laying about somewhere. My biggest tool problem is that I am usually hot and tired when done and thus all my poo poo goes in a pile on my work bench for months.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CarForumPoster posted:

Hoping to mount them somewhere visible so I can see when something is out of place

I've seen people use ~3ish inch PVC to make power-tool holsters that go under shelves, like this:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/how-to/a19471/drill-storage-holsters/

I've used some screws driven into plywood to make little racks for DeWalt batteries before. It wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't great.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That pvc pipe thing is cool but most of my 18v stuff is to weirdly shaped for that to work. I was thinking pegboard but I'll probably just buy a box with deep drawers to stow them.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I have ridgid brushless 5x impact that I bought a year ago or so. It has seen light homeowner use in that time. I’ve noticed that the impact function is engaging poorly ie when driving a screw it will just stay in high speed drill mode and then I end up stripping the head out. I’ve got another older kobalt impact and it has no problems with this.

Anyone experience something like this? I have the LSA so I guess I can just call them.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ThirstyBuck posted:

I have ridgid brushless 5x impact that I bought a year ago or so. It has seen light homeowner use in that time. I’ve noticed that the impact function is engaging poorly ie when driving a screw it will just stay in high speed drill mode and then I end up stripping the head out. I’ve got another older kobalt impact and it has no problems with this.

Anyone experience something like this? I have the LSA so I guess I can just call them.

If it ain't doing what its supposed to and its still under warranty, bring that poo poo back.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

That pvc pipe thing is cool but most of my 18v stuff is to weirdly shaped for that to work. I was thinking pegboard but I'll probably just buy a box with deep drawers to stow them.

Search my posts here. I made custom mounts for all my Makita LXT stuff.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

meatpimp posted:

Last night, a week after shipping it out, I got an email with a tracking number from Milwaukee. Shows delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

No notes as to what they did, but I'm curious to see what shows up!

FedEx showed scheduled delivery of Friday all day Friday... until Saturday, when it changed to "Pending." Still showing "Pending" now. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow.

In other news, my cousin just got a job at TTI, which is the parent company of Milwaukee, among others. Employee pricing is pretty sweet. I may need to give him a list. :D

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Frank Dillinger posted:

Sell your compact and buy a stubby. It’s good
Welp. That didn’t take long.

Slick deals has a Grainger deal for the 3/8” stubby, a rapid charger, and a 12ah battery for $250, which is apparently 46% better than the previous recorded deal.

I needed new m18 batteries anyway.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

FedEx showed scheduled delivery of Friday all day Friday... until Saturday, when it changed to "Pending." Still showing "Pending" now. Hopefully it shows up tomorrow.

I've had more problems with FedEx during the pandemic than every other carrier combined. At this point I completely ignore the first delivery estimate and remain skeptical about the second one.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Krakkles posted:

Welp. That didn’t take long.

Slick deals has a Grainger deal for the 3/8” stubby, a rapid charger, and a 12ah battery for $250, which is apparently 46% better than the previous recorded deal.

I needed new m18 batteries anyway.

ive been thinking of getting onto the cordless train for when i dont want to haul my air hose out to the car. got a link?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raluek posted:

ive been thinking of getting onto the cordless train for when i dont want to haul my air hose out to the car. got a link?

https://www.grainger.com/product/MILWAUKEE-Cordless-359YV8

I have no business buying this.

Add to cart.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

looks pretty good, though now that i think of it, since compactness is its biggest asset, would the big chonky M18 battery be a liability? maybe the M12 fuel version is more desirable, since it has a smaller battery but the same torque output. not like a nutfucker that would need to be M18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
If it's your only one, yeah probably. I figured it would be nice having the big rear end battery for my big rear end impact.

Truly I have no business buying that so I was joking for the record, I am holding out for a deal on a M12 Stubby kit,or at least a good deal on a bare tool plus a big battery. I could use a big m12 battery for my die grinder which seems to run out in the middle of a cut.