Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really interesting to me the way some silly holds (like the Indian deathlock) have an actual functional version in catch wrestling or other grappling styles.

A friend has said he's seen MMA won with the Fuller leglock, which is absolutely not a hold I would like to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I saw an mma once that ended with a shoot stone Cold stunner it was crazy. Can’t find the video though.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I watched a guy getting mugged do a DDT in a parking lot and was genuinely disappointed that it didn't immediately end the fight

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

forkboy84 posted:

Basically yeah, but more to the point, the Inoki lineage of wrestling that runs through Maeda to Rings, Takada to UWF-I & Kingdom, Fujiwara to PWFG & Pancrase & Battlarts got a lot of appeal from the idea that these guys weren't just tough guys but elite fighters.

So when Yoji Anjo runs to pick a fight with Rickson Gracie & gets his rear end whooped in the dojo, I think with photographers in tow, that hurts. And Takada going from the star of UWFI & Kingdom to getting made a fool of by Rickson Gracie twice & Mark Kerr & Igor Vovchanchyn & Royce Gracie really burst the bubble.

Which sucks because shoot style is tremendous fun

UWFi was already dead and RINGS transitioning to real fights when Takada fought Gracie, that was more Takada cashing out. The birth of Pancrase and other groups hurt, UFC hurt, Anjo getting destroyed hurt, people knew it wasn't real and not only that they knew these weren't even close to the toughest guys. So you got NJPW finishing off UWFi and RINGS seeing the writing on the wall and becoming an MMA company.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Judging by my vast experience wrestling my cousins growing up, I can say the Figure Four hurts like a motherfucker

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!
Since People are talking about Shoot Style, and I'm not super sure I know what that means- could somebody break down the different/historical Japanese styles? Like Strong Style vs. Shoot Style vs anything else that might be a thing.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Sandman McMahon posted:

I saw an mma once that ended with a shoot stone Cold stunner it was crazy. Can’t find the video though.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Karma Tornado posted:

I watched a guy getting mugged do a DDT in a parking lot and was genuinely disappointed that it didn't immediately end the fight

Did you tag in??

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Dawgstar posted:

A friend has said he's seen MMA won with the Fuller leglock, which is absolutely not a hold I would like to be in.
Isn't the calf slicer basically a shoot Fuller Leglock?

Lazy like a Fox posted:

Since People are talking about Shoot Style, and I'm not super sure I know what that means- could somebody break down the different/historical Japanese styles? Like Strong Style vs. Shoot Style vs anything else that might be a thing.
Most simply put:

* Strong Style is basically NJPW's tagline and can refer to whatever the house style is at the time. So the Choshu/Sasaki/Animal Hamaguchi style is as much Strong Style as Inoki's style, Ibushi's style, Tanahashi's style, etc.

* Shoot Style refers to any promotion doing stripped down "realistic" wrestling in the UWF lineage, but there are degrees to it. The UWF/UWFi style was basically the NJPW version of shoot style, with more theatrics, flow rolling on the ground without any defense, suplexes, etc. RINGS was much more realistic and used a lot more people with zero to minimal pre-RINGS pro wrestling experience. PWFG was more UWF-ish with the ability to be offbeat at times. Battlarts ran the gamut from RINGS style to modern junior heavyweight wrestling with modern junior heavyweight moves but done with shoot style pacing. And Pancrase was theoretical shoots under modified UWF rules, but with tons of works mixed in as well as a lot of carrying and fight throwing to get new guys over. If you want to get a feel for how the different shoot style promotions varied, check out the Weekly Pro Wrestling 13 promotion dome show from the same day as WrestleMania XI. They ran the shoot style matches back to back, which made the differences pretty glaring.

* Kings Road refers to the old AJPW style—really the '90s style—turned 2000s Pro Wrestling NOAH style with the simmering build into the big bomb throwing stretch run with tight storytelling.

* It's entirely a western term as far as I know, and it's fallen out of style but there's also what used to be referred to as "Lucharesu." In other words: The promotions that can be traced to Universal Lucha Libre and Gran Hamada's influence, e.g. ULL/FULL, Michinoku Pro, Osaka Pro, Okinawa Pro, Toryumon Japan, T2P, Toryumon X, Dragon Gate, etc.

* The style that headlined most FMW shows back in the day was referred to as Street Fight Style. (The more wild brawling everywhere plunder main events as opposed to the explosion matches.)

* Big Japan, FREEDOMS, etc., are, of course, referred to as Death Match Style, but their wrestlers tend to be much better and with more interesting matches than most of the American death match guys, even the ones I like. Alex Colon would be the American who most works a style that resembles what you'd see in BJPW or FREEDOMS, with Eric Ryan being the only other one I'd really consider.

* I feel like late period FMW (and then WEW) may have used "Entertainment Style" for their WWF-inspired stuff? I don't remember if DDT has.

* Inoki vs. outside martial artists and other matches in that vein were specifically dubbed Different Style Fights.

And then there are a bunch of offshoots that you can't necessarily pin down to one existing style, like WAR and Zero-One.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Isn't the calf slicer basically a shoot Fuller Leglock?

Yeah, pretty much. The idea some BJJ person saw Buddy Fuller work and stole his move amuses me more than whatever the truth probably is.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

davidbix posted:

* Big Japan, FREEDOMS, etc., are, of course, referred to as Death Match Style, but their wrestlers tend to be much better and with more interesting matches than most of the American death match guys, even the ones I like. Alex Colon would be the American who most works a style that resembles what you'd see in BJPW or FREEDOMS, with Eric Ryan being the only other one I'd really consider.

Which Japanese guys would you recommend in this style? I've mostly only seen Kobayashi and Kasai.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

collocation posted:

Which Japanese guys would you recommend in this style? I've mostly only seen Kobayashi and Kasai.

Masashi Takeda is the best in the world at deathmatches right now.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Masashi Takeda is the best in the world at deathmatches right now.

Thanks, I don't know if it's among his best, but I'm watching "Death Match - FREEDOMS - Masashi Takeda vs Daisuke Masaoka . Bloodiest Match I have ever seen" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTOLgoa_A8 to check him out. It's pretty insane. I've never seen the other guy before either, but I keep on hoping that he won't kick out because nothing good seems like it's going to come from kicking out.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Takeda would probably be the best at the world at whatever form of wrestling he wanted to do, to be entirely honest.

Your point about "Strong Style" not meaning a whole lot more than 'whatever New Japan does' is a good one I think: and I think that often becomes a thing with these branded styles. Modern All Japan sometimes uses "Kings Road" or similar things to market themselves even though the link to the 90s is tenuous at best - their secondary heavyweight tournament is called the "Royal Road" as an example of this. Modern New Japan in closer stylistically to 90s All Japan than 90s New Japan but to say that New Japan is a "Royal Road Style Promotion" would be silly since there's more to it than that.

I think DDT use "DDT Style" but that doesn't really clarify a whole lot. It does show that these stylistic things can be very hard to define though: DDT do a lot of comedy and gimmick match stuff that would fit the "entertainment style" definition but with a few exceptions their big K-OD Title matches are as serious and generally gimmick-free as most other puro companies and so it might not fit those. Big Japan is sort of the same where the structure of the promotion is that you have Death Match guys that do deathmatches and then the Strong Division guys that, well, don't. It also feels to me that the in-ring style of all of these places has sort of converged but I might be wrong there.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I saw a Japanese death match in which two of the competitors were dressed as c3po and R2D2 - was this some kind of fever dream?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Manwithastick posted:

I saw a Japanese death match in which two of the competitors were dressed as c3po and R2D2 - was this some kind of fever dream?

Without looking it up, probably not. BJW once ran a show themed around Macbeth.

They're a promotion that thinks outside the box.

Might have also been M-Pro?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

There's also a difference, in my opinion, between Strong Style as in New Japan main event style, and Strong Style as in NEVER Openweight match style. It's the difference between, say, Ibushi vs Jay White and Shingo vs Jeff Cobb.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Manwithastick posted:

Probably the most recent Great Space War?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Sounds like Great Space War volume 10 https://youtu.be/vFV4KGmdooM

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't CHIKARA try to call themselves 'lucharesu' at one point?

I remember on a SHIMMER promo where they first started brining in joshi wrestlers Allison Danger cut a promo calling the promotion 'the finest in American joshi' which, you know, I get what she meant but at the same time is pretty funny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They got that from UWA, Osaka Pro and M-Pro

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

How do wrestlers talk to each other in the ring with giant crowds screaming at them? How can they hear each other? Is this one of those 'Chris has bad audio processing issues' things?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

How do wrestlers talk to each other in the ring with giant crowds screaming at them? How can they hear each other? Is this one of those 'Chris has bad audio processing issues' things?

Isn't that what chinlock spots are for?

Also if there is a giant crowd screaming I'd imagine you can be pretty loud yourself without the audience really noticing.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

from watching training videos, my impression is also that, while talking happens, there's a lot of physical cues and signals used as well. iirc i watched a video of kenny omega doing a one-off training session, and had people do rope-running spots. The type of spot they'd do (leapfrog, clothesline, bypass, whatever) was basically entirely down to the physical position the leader was in. I can't remember if it was the runner or the person standing in the middle, but one of them basically controlled the whole bit without saying a word. There's also stuff like tapping or squeezing, i.e. to signal readiness, that you can sometimes catch if you pay super close attention.

NEDIT: that is to say, i think this is part of what wrestlers mean when they discuss "calling a match in the ring". Not entirely audible calls.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

collocation posted:

Kasai, Takeda, Toru Sugiura, Takayuki Ueki, Yuko Miyamoto are some of the standouts. But I tend to watch Freedoms more than anyone else. Just from a time perspective mainly.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

from watching training videos, my impression is also that, while talking happens, there's a lot of physical cues and signals used as well. iirc i watched a video of kenny omega doing a one-off training session, and had people do rope-running spots. The type of spot they'd do (leapfrog, clothesline, bypass, whatever) was basically entirely down to the physical position the leader was in. I can't remember if it was the runner or the person standing in the middle, but one of them basically controlled the whole bit without saying a word. There's also stuff like tapping or squeezing, i.e. to signal readiness, that you can sometimes catch if you pay super close attention.

NEDIT: that is to say, i think this is part of what wrestlers mean when they discuss "calling a match in the ring". Not entirely audible calls.

I imagine this is also why going between different sized rings in cross-promotional stuff screws people up so badly. If you're used to one thing happening when the opponent is a foot away from you and now there's a foot of difference to the ring, it probably buggers all your timing.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Isn't that what chinlock spots are for?

Also if there is a giant crowd screaming I'd imagine you can be pretty loud yourself without the audience really noticing.

NOW! NOW! SHINSUKE, NOW!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Procrastinator posted:

There's also a lot that gets boiled down to a couple of words. You don't need to say "Run to the ropes, I'll do a leapfrog then a dropdown then a clothesline" - you can get it across with "Leapfrog, dropdown, take a line". You also don't need to say it all at once if you're building to a spot.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ganso Bomb posted:

There's also a lot that gets boiled down to a couple of words. You don't need to say "Run to the ropes, I'll do a leapfrog then a dropdown then a clothesline" - you can get it across with "Leapfrog, dropdown, take a line". You also don't need to say it all at once if you're building to a spot.

Although shorthand can go wrong. In his first book Foley talks about working with Sam Houston who simply told him ‘watch the elbow.’ Take it? Duck it? Even years later Mick never figured it out. I believe he then bumped for a move that never came, or at least never connected.

Lazy like a Fox
Jul 8, 2003

EKO SMASH!

davidbix posted:

A bunch of awesome :words:

Thank you for that great response! Puro is such a blind spot for me in terms of my wrestling knowledge- looks like I've got some old matches to watch.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Dawgstar posted:

Although shorthand can go wrong. In his first book Foley talks about working with Sam Houston who simply told him ‘watch the elbow.’ Take it? Duck it? Even years later Mick never figured it out. I believe he then bumped for a move that never came, or at least never connected.

True - it's easy to know what everyone means when you're training with a group of people but there's a lot of region-specific terminology or just weirdness that could get confusing in the moment.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Somewhat related, Foley was excited to work with Terry Funk because he had the best punches in the business and he wanted to see how he did it up close.

Turns out Funk was just actually punching people.

I'd love a behind the scenes thing with wrestlers mic'd up and doing a regular match. Cena used to come close to that.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Dawgstar posted:

"Beeboo Crawshanks"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

SirDippingSauce posted:

"Beeboo Crawshanks"

well that was less short-hand going wrong and more Jericho mishearing Shelton saying "T-Bone Suplex"

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Somewhat related, Foley was excited to work with Terry Funk because he had the best punches in the business and he wanted to see how he did it up close.

Turns out Funk was just actually punching people.

I'd love a behind the scenes thing with wrestlers mic'd up and doing a regular match. Cena used to come close to that.

Who has the best worked punches?

Is it Lawler?

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/949442460371111937

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Vader, but that might fall into the Terry Funk category of whether he was just punching people legit

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm still bewildered how terminator Kota threw those punches at Okada at last year's Wrestle Kingdom and didn't kill him.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Isn’t Memphis in general known for the best-looking worked punches?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

jesus WEP posted:

Isn’t Memphis in general known for the best-looking worked punches?
Yes, but the two best examples, Lawler and Dundee, also have reps for potatoing people regularly enough to as not necessarily be the best picks. Dick Murdoch is probably the person who through the most consistently safe but great-looking working punch. As J.J. Dillon, who worked with him a LOT, once told me: You'd feel his hand on the hair on your nose, but that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scott Hall had great punches