Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Blindeye posted:

A square HSS has more steel area and strength for a given maximum dimension, so for example a 10x10x1/2 has a 17.2 square inch area, whereas the 10x1/2 circular is 13.9.

The square HSS also has a higher moment of inertia because more of its area is at the maximum distance from the center in each direction (since bending is across an axis perpendicular to the axial load), so it has much higher buckling strength. A circular column is worse at buckling because across any given bending axis only a small portion of its area is the full distance from the bending axis.

In this case, the 10x10x1/2 has 256 in^4 moment of inertia, and the round has 159 in^4. So the hypothetical column that's square HSS can be expected to be 50% stronger and 50% more resistive to elastic buckling.

drat thank you I enjoyed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

StormDrain posted:

drat thank you I enjoyed that.

I did make one mistake; I should have said the square has ~25% more axial strength (assuming the same thickness steel). A dumb call on my part but I fixated more on the elastic buckling value (which likely controls the allowable in compression for the unbraced lengths we care about).

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Blindeye posted:

A square HSS has more steel area and strength for a given maximum dimension, so for example a 10x10x1/2 has a 17.2 square inch area, whereas the 10x1/2 circular is 13.9.

The square HSS also has a higher moment of inertia because more of its area is at the maximum distance from the center in each direction (since bending is across an axis perpendicular to the axial load), so it has much higher buckling strength. A circular column is worse at buckling because across any given bending axis only a small portion of its area is the full distance from the bending axis.

In this case, the 10x10x1/2 has 256 in^4 moment of inertia, and the round has 159 in^4. So the hypothetical column that's square HSS can be expected to be 50% stronger and 50% more resistive to elastic buckling.

Right, it's the relative capacity of it rather than just the cross-section shape itself. A square HSS with the same outside dimensions and wall thickness as a circular HSS is stronger, but all square HSSes aren't inherently better than all round HSSes.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

The Chairman posted:

Right, it's the relative capacity of it rather than just the cross-section shape itself. A square HSS with the same outside dimensions and wall thickness as a circular HSS is stronger, but all square HSSes aren't inherently better than all round HSSes.

Right but what I suspect the post you were referring to meant is they had a nominal dimension to meet and substituted a square/rectangular HSS for a circular HSS, which could very well lead this kind of failure.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Is this the thread where all the smart craftsmen hang out that could answer questions on whether something is crappy construction vs dangerous and needs to be fixed sooner? Or is there another thread that would be better? We just closed on a house and my wife is there but I'm out of state so I'm doing everything remotely through her pictures. I'm finding things that I think previous owners DIYed from annoying to potentially causing bigger problems now (blocking stucco wall drainage). Really just trying to get a sanity check on 'that's just dumb but not really a problem' vs ' you definitely want to do something about that this when you get there,' but don't want to clog up an unrelated thread.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

PageMaster posted:

Is this the thread where all the smart craftsmen hang out that could answer questions on whether something is crappy construction vs dangerous and needs to be fixed sooner? Or is there another thread that would be better? We just closed on a house and my wife is there but I'm out of state so I'm doing everything remotely through her pictures. I'm finding things that I think previous owners DIYed from annoying to potentially causing bigger problems now (blocking stucco wall drainage). Really just trying to get a sanity check on 'that's just dumb but not really a problem' vs ' you definitely want to do something about that this when you get there,' but don't want to clog up an unrelated thread.

In general anything that looks DIY'd with water, drainage, drains, etc. is a huge danger sign because even a small fuckup could have caused immense hidden damage you won't know about until you spot the black mold and an entire wall just sloughs off.

Though I'd start by asking: Why have you bought a house without being there in person to go through it in extremely fine detail? This seems like a bad decision from the get-go.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm just the peanut gallery but to my understanding this isn't so much the serious evaluation thread as it is the point and laugh at the dumb thing someone did thread, although the upshot is, if you post something and it's really bad, you're still gonna know pretty quickly

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The stickied fix it fast/diy resource mega thread would be a good place to post any questions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Please post the pictures here regardless

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

What the gently caress is happening with my kitchen ceiling?

E: the brown is particle board, not drywall paper btw.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

it's coming off looks like

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
It’s molting. Make sure your kitchen has some dry bark or rock to rub up against to flake off the rest of the drywall which it is outgrowing.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Blindeye posted:

What about the costs?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

iv46vi posted:

What about the costs?

Less than the cost of having to build the whole thing again when it comes down.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks! I'll take a look at that DIY thread and see if that works for the smaller nitpicky items. The two main things i'm digging into first are that EVERY bedroom window butts into the corner like this:

Which is comically ugly and I can't believe was designed this way so I feel like someone did it themselves. I'm not an expert at framing windows but I do normally see a couple inches on the side of the windows for studs so I'm not sure what the details are on building it this way. The corner baseboard trim also looks like it was photoshopped in badly and hurts my eyes.

Out in back, it looks like they poured pavement (and filled with dirt) against the foundation but up to the height of the stucco siding:

this is a hot and dry desert environment, but I feel like you still want to keep 4 to 6 inches open below the weep screed.

quote:

Though I'd start by asking: Why have you bought a house without being there in person to go through it in extremely fine detail? This seems like a bad decision from the get-go.

Definitely would not recommend it either but apparently remote viewings are all the rage now! I had just finished chemo and radiation and wasn't jumping into the heart of COVID country, and I probably wouldn't have been much use with the brain fog anyways, but but our inspector caught more of the trivial stuff inside.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 26, 2021

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

iv46vi posted:

What about the costs?

poo poo, cost of structural steel is relative. Common sizes are cheaper than smaller but less common ones, and where you can source them from due to shipping costs. Long lead procurement is almost always cheaper than ordering sections as substitutions at the last minute means you are paying retail prices, essentially. Outside of common sizes and lengths a lot of shapes are produced to meet long term orders periodically, not all the time, plus a small amount to sell at a markup.

What can happen is an engineer's design gets a pen and ink change by the fabricator/construction contractor because maybe they can't procure a certain shape to meet schedule or budget. If it was done properly you get a design change notice and engineering evaluates and signs off on it. If engineering rubber stamps the change or the construction contractor goes rogue, welp.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Thanks! I'll take a look at that DIY thread and see if that works for the smaller nitpicky items. The two main things i'm digging into first are that EVERY bedroom window butts into the corner like this:

Which is comically ugly and I can't believe was designed this way so I feel like someone did it themselves. I'm not an expert at framing windows but I do normally see a couple inches on the side of the windows for studs so I'm not sure what the details are on building it this way. The corner baseboard trim also looks like it was photoshopped in badly and hurts my eyes.

Out in back, it looks like they poured pavement (and filled with dirt) against the foundation but up to the height of the stucco siding:

this is a hot and dry desert environment, but I feel like you still want to keep 4 to 6 inches open below the weep screed.

Definitely would not recommend it either but apparently remote viewings are all the rage now! I had just finished chemo and radiation and wasn't jumping into the heart of COVID country, and I probably wouldn't have been much use with the brain fog anyways, but but our inspector caught more of the trivial stuff inside.

Okay, so you've already bought this house and now somebody needs to tell you it was built by an amateur who "design/built" it who didn't know how sheet stock and trim offsets work. They were just as surprised as you after framing in those windows and then putting up sheetrock and went "well gently caress."

I can't wait to see what ELSE you find.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Corner windows are a thing, at least that looks like you can still open the shutter easily. Good spot for a desk imo.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

peanut posted:

Corner windows are a thing, at least that looks like you can still open the shutter easily. Good spot for a desk imo.

Yeah, but they're normally one unit, not that.

Motronic posted:

Okay, so you've already bought this house and now somebody needs to tell you it was built by an amateur who "design/built" it who didn't know how sheet stock and trim offsets work. They were just as surprised as you after framing in those windows and then putting up sheetrock and went "well gently caress."

God I hope this is a (small) addition for OP's sake, and the whole house for the thread's sake.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I wanna see how that corner and those window headers are framed.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Motronic posted:

For example found the kitchen hood duct today that vents outside that they built a cabinet around and installed a recirculating range hood under.

Not necessarily looking for someone to tell us that there was some unimpressive DIY work done, but more if anything is dangerously wrong or unsafe in the now as we go through and start working on everything else. Things like

peanut posted:

at least hopefully mean the previous owners haven't made this unsafe at much at just badly executed and planned.

Edit: if this IS a bad thing in happier to know now than later to start taking care of it.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 27, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Not necessarily looking for someone to tell us that there was some unimpressive DIY work done, but more if anything is dangerously wrong or unsafe in the now as we go through and start working on everything else. Things like

at least hopefully mean the previous owners haven't made this unsafe at much at just badly executed and planned.

Edit: if this IS a bad thing in happier to know now than later to start taking care of it.

Unimpressive DIY of that level indicates a DIY house build (the windows) so.......

What did the professional home inspector that you hired to evaluate the safety and condition of this home put on his report that surely you read before you proceeded with buying it?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Motronic posted:

Unimpressive DIY of that level indicates a DIY house build (the windows) so.......

What did the professional home inspector that you hired to evaluate the safety and condition of this home put on his report that surely you read before you proceeded with buying it?

Nothing about the windows, but a bunch of other smaller things we had them take care of or pay us for. I was just going through them and figured I'd get a sanity check on something in not as smart on.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PageMaster posted:

Nothing about the windows, but a bunch of other smaller things we had them take care of or pay us for. I was just going through them and figured I'd get a sanity check on something in not as smart on.

Oh man, so you actually did get it inspected. That leaves me with more questions than answers.

You're asking about landscaping issues and I'm looking at that photo scratching my head about much more interesting problems:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like a squashed downspout and some coax tacked on by whatever tech the service provider sent?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Bad Munki posted:

Looks like a squashed downspout and some coax tacked on by whatever tech the service provider sent?

That's what I see.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Uhh, people could fall and impale themselves on those red arrows.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Motronic posted:

Oh man, so you actually did get it inspected. That leaves me with more questions than answers.

You're asking about landscaping issues and I'm looking at that photo scratching my head about much more interesting problems:

Yeah I assumed their old landscaping company hit the side of the house there doing work. It was actually one of those companies that acts as a realtor and renovates before selling the house for you. Fortunately they only did the 'landscaping' before they were fired (they had a lien paid off in the sale) and we got almost $10k in credits after fighting with the sellers over the inspection items which surprised me in this market. My impression is that they were really just lazy and only wanted to do the bare minimum in upkeep.

Don't want to E/N up the thread with our our personal situation or turn it into 'my house's thread,' just wanted to make sure I could get called out for at least anything incredible dumb and unsafe so I can take care of the family, though as we do find genuinely crappy construction I'll be sure to share it.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 27, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I'm really worried about that seemingly unflashed concrete possible holding water against the base of the wall.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It's absolutely loving mind boggling to me what people will buy and what rights they'll waive in this market. I'm hearing from friends that they're waiving inspection and paying mid to high 5 figures over asking because if they don't someone else will and they won't get the house.

Insanity. But then again I've bought a cursed house already and know what level of bumblefuckery 99% of homeowners are apparently willing to hide in walls.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I paid 10 under asking (which was already 50 under comp asking which sold at the same time for 80k more -- they had some what bigger years but not 80k bigger) with just an appraisal waiver (which didn't matter because I didn't need one) in one of the hotter neighborhoods in my city in CA in November. I'm still not sure how I did that.
Other party didn't stage the house and didn't even repaint the walls, which I think helped.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

Yes, squashed downspout but that looked like the bottom of the stucco/EIFS/dryvit to me. I think you're right that it's a crappy cable install.

PageMaster posted:

Yeah I assumed their old landscaping company hit the side of the house there doing work. It was actually one of those companies that acts as a realtor and renovates before selling the house for you. Fortunately they only did the 'landscaping' before they were fired (they had a lien paid off in the sale) and we got almost $10k in credits after fighting with the sellers over the inspection items which surprised me in this market. My impression is that they were really just lazy and only wanted to do the bare minimum in upkeep.

Don't want to E/N up the thread with our our personal situation or turn it into 'my house's thread,' just wanted to make sure I could get called out for at least anything incredible dumb and unsafe so I can take care of the family, though as we do find genuinely crappy construction I'll be sure to share it.

So you bought a house in maintenance debt, sight unseen. You knew it was in maintenance debt and you don't know what things cost to fix (lol $10k).

I mean, it's a lovely time to be buying a house and all, but you're asking the wrong questions and way too late.

Don't worry: you're in good company. Seems everyone is unloading their problematic C/D-tier properties and A/B-tier prices now and there's always a buyer for them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And here is my dad on the other side of the spectrum. In this market he has already repainted the whole house, has someone coming to clean the siding and outside windows. Is having the deck re-stained, carpets professionally cleaned, etc. His agent is like NO NO NO, your house will sell in 1 day without any of that!

He wants to bring in his own home inspector to see what he should fix before its even on the market! Ugh.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That's too much even in a "normal" market. But it sounds like he's having fun and whoever buys the place probably won't know just how lucky they got.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

But he's not handy. He'll pay someone to do everything.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

But he's not handy. He'll pay someone to do everything.

Ugh. Sorry.

Good news: houses are going for so far over that he's not gonna lose much on doing this......hopefully......

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

GreenNight posted:

And here is my dad on the other side of the spectrum. In this market he has already repainted the whole house, has someone coming to clean the siding and outside windows. Is having the deck re-stained, carpets professionally cleaned, etc. His agent is like NO NO NO, your house will sell in 1 day without any of that!

He wants to bring in his own home inspector to see what he should fix before its even on the market! Ugh.

dang, sounds like your dad is being a decent human being and not wanting to saddle someone else with a lovely maintenance debt just to turn a quick profit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

GreenNight posted:

So, I do actually think basic cosmetic stuff will help the sales price. Sure the house will sell in 1 day either way, but with a bit more stuff, you might get far more money than needed. I dunno, so many agents just want to make that check today.

Getting an inspection and knowing the problems is kind of dangerous. It does seem fairly standard here to get roof and termite inspections before putting it on sale. They don't (normally) fix it, but it sort of heads off the negotiation on the back end. You can't ask for cash to fix when you knew the problem was there when you bid.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I always feel a bit bad for people that live in a house for a while and don't make major improvements to it until they're trying to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sirotan posted:

I always feel a bit bad for people that live in a house for a while and don't make major improvements to it until they're trying to sell.

I love the "make major improvements and stop halfway till it's time to sell" part. Master bath in my mother's house was unusable for "improvement" for a year and change, because they got started and just never finished. Heated floors, real nice bath & shower, whole thing was great when it was finished... but it didn't get finished until about two weeks before they listed it to sell and move, so they barely even got to use it and it actively impeded them for that long.

Now they get to deal with the previous homeowner's weird DIY things like "installing a full kitchen complete with gas range in the furnace room of the basement". (I'm pretty sure it's vented. Pretty sure.)

Re: dad fixing house before selling, good on him. It's a shame it's not the standard, but that's what happens when "pass along a good home" plays second fiddle to "make bank off the sale". Ah well.