Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

PCjr sidecar posted:

The Foo Fighters were early proponents of independent HIV research voices, too.

😬

For context for those wondering:

quote:

In January 2000, Nate Mendel led a benefit concert in Hollywood for AIDS denialist group Alive & Well AIDS Alternatives with a speech by founder Christine Maggiore and free copies of her self-published book, What If Everything You Thought You Knew About AIDS Was Wrong? Additionally, the band's official website featured a section devoted to Alive & Well. Sandra Thurman, then director of the Office of National AIDS Policy stated this was "extraordinarily irresponsible behavior" because "[t]here is no doubt about the link between HIV and AIDS in the respected scientific community." Links and references to Alive & Well have since been removed from the band's website.
Also, Christine Maggiore (shocker) died of AIDS in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

PT6A posted:

Excellent trivia, I'm glad I know this now.

Imagine reaching the upper echelons of two completely separate careers like that, though... it's so cool when you come across things like that.

ED FORCE ONE, collided with its ground tug in Chile, damaging both port engines and sending both operators of the ground tug to hospital with serious injuries.

https://www.ironmaiden.com/news/article/ed-force-one-damaged

https://www.ironmaiden.com/news/article/ed-force-one-repaired

the_more_you_know.gif

edit: i stand corrected, they trucked the stage show kit from chile to argentina, and my faulty memory inserted the chartered 747 from Europe with another plane they (didn't) fly the equipment on.

Edit 2: Bruce Dickinson is type rated on the 737, 757 and 747. Someone at Atlas Air get this man a post musical career retirement job

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 28, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Charles posted:

😬

What the gently caress.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Charles posted:

😬

Her wikipedia entry is a hell of a read.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

SeaborneClink posted:

Edit 2: Bruce Dickinson is type rated on the 737, 757 and 747. Someone at Atlas Air get this man a post musical career retirement job

He lives in France and voted for Brexit. As a pilot he has plenty of paperwork experience; bureaucracy is likely the only part of the British economy growing this year.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Advent Horizon posted:

He lives in France and voted for Brexit.

Oh Bruce! Nooooooo. :(

Pour one out for teenage fan me.

Edit: https://www.nme.com/news/music/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-voted-leave-eu-quite-relaxed-brexit-2413027

Turns out he's dumb as a bag of hammers. :(

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 28, 2021

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more Brexit.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

PT6A posted:

And Bruce Dickinson flying his own goddamn 747 (well, leased) for the last Iron Maiden tour. In addition to having been an airline captain and forming an aviation consultancy in his off time.

Bruce Dickinson's cousin Rob is the singer of the less known but still popular band Catherine Wheel, and also started Singer Porsche

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Midjack posted:

Her wikipedia entry is a hell of a read.

"My daughter dying of AIDS is a conspiracy in BIG MEDICINE to smear my reputation."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Let me introduce you to a former AIDS denialist magazine, Continuum.

Guess why it's a "former" magazine.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1387421233285898244

The Fly Navy Heritage Trust's Sea Fury T.20 has made what appears to be a rather dramatic wheels-up landing after 'engine trouble'. Both pilots said to be safe and well, so I feel OK in making a 'the front fell off' reference.

I think this is the same Sea Fury which was rebuilt in the 90s after being damaged in another forced landing due to engine failure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deptfordx posted:

Oh Bruce! Nooooooo. :(

Pour one out for teenage fan me.

Edit: https://www.nme.com/news/music/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-voted-leave-eu-quite-relaxed-brexit-2413027

Turns out he's dumb as a bag of hammers. :(

Hes a boomer pilot, of course he thinks that!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BalloonFish posted:

I think this is the same Sea Fury which was rebuilt in the 90s after being damaged in another forced landing due to engine failure.

Sounds like they need to send it to California for an R-2800 swap.

I’ve heard the Centaurus is a great engine *if* you can keep it supplied with a lot of rare parts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
how many more warbird crashes are we going to get before the FAA puts the kibosh on them, these airframes aren’t getting any younger

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

It’s almost never the airframe, though. It’s always the engine.

These aren’t a C-90, they’re designed to be USED and then maintained by a crew who would just swap it off the aircraft for a perviously-rebuilt one. A left/right mag check isn’t sufficient when there are dozens of cylinders.

I would bet the compromise solution would be a calendar teardown of engines. And it probably won’t apply to only warbirds.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Advent Horizon posted:

It’s almost never the airframe, though. It’s always the engine.

This. The old power plants are PoS maintenance nightmares.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hobbesmaster posted:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BalloonFish posted:

https://twitter.com/NavyLookout/status/1387421233285898244

The Fly Navy Heritage Trust's Sea Fury T.20 has made what appears to be a rather dramatic wheels-up landing after 'engine trouble'. Both pilots said to be safe and well, so I feel OK in making a 'the front fell off' reference.

That certainly is wheels up. :v:

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

e.pilot posted:

how many more warbird crashes are we going to get before the FAA puts the kibosh on them, these airframes aren’t getting any younger

you know how all you technically need to start with for it to count as 'restoration' is a single corroded spar with a data plate stapled to it? maybe this is just warbird mitosis--build a new fuselage around the engine, strap a new engine to the fuselage, and all of a sudden it's two restored seafuries :unsmith:

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

e.pilot posted:

I feel like the FAA would've quashed things, if they were going to, after Nine-O-Nine since that had multiple fatalities. That Sea Fury and the Avenger from a week ago were just airframe damage.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

HookedOnChthonics posted:

you know how all you technically need to start with for it to count as 'restoration' is a single corroded spar with a data plate stapled to it? maybe this is just warbird mitosis--build a new fuselage around the engine, strap a new engine to the fuselage, and all of a sudden it's two restored seafuries :unsmith:

The FAA put a stop to that a couple years ago. Now you need to have a substantial structure that’s repairable, not just replaceable.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Warbird of Theseus :)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

e.pilot posted:

Mention this to the warbird crowd and you'll get an earful that will last for a decade or more, and probably eventually devolve into anti-government weirdness as well.

Quite how they square "the government is evil" with "remember WW2" is not something I'd like to think too much about.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
They should just replace all those ridiculously complex radials with Honeywell 331s (and like a thousand pounds of ballast) and call it a day

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

Warbird of Theseus :)

Witness the Champaign Aviation Museum's B-17, being built up from bits of no less than 5 other B-17s.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You see having warbirds not fall out of the sky at random would reduce historic accuracy

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I appreciated this. Thanks.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Quite how they square "the government is evil" with "remember WW2" is not something I'd like to think too much about.

Old Government good, many manly men.

New Government bad, did you know they give new recruits a card in basic training and-

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

You see having warbirds not fall out of the sky at random would reduce historic accuracy

:hmmyes:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Witness the Champaign Aviation Museum's B-17, being built up from bits of no less than 5 other B-17s.

I think all the Saturn Vs on display are mix and match.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Zero One posted:

I think all the Saturn Vs on display are mix and match.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE DISPLAY ROCKETS NEVER FLEW?!?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nebakenezzer posted:

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THIS S-IB AIN'T NEVER BEEN TO THE MOON?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Nebakenezzer posted:

:v:

But it's a little interesting. I guess the one in Huntsville is all the same rocket but it was only a test unit.

quote:

Two at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville:
SA-500D is on horizontal display made up of its S-IC-D, S-II-F/D and S-IVB-D. These were all test stages not meant for flight. This vehicle was displayed outdoors from 1969 to 2007, was restored, and is now displayed in the Davidson Center for Space Exploration.
Vertical display (replica) built in 1999 located in an adjacent area.[124]

One at the Johnson Space Center made up of the first stage from SA-514, the second stage from SA-515, and the third stage from SA-513 (replaced for flight by the Skylab workshop). With stages arriving between 1977 and 1979, this was displayed in the open until its 2005 restoration when a structure was built around it for protection. This is the only display Saturn consisting entirely of stages intended to be launched.[125]

One at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, made up of S-IC-T (test stage) and the second and third stages from SA-514.[126] It was displayed outdoors for decades, then in 1996 was enclosed for protection from the elements in the Apollo/Saturn V Center.[127]

The S-IC stage from SA-515 is on display at the Infinity Science Center in Mississippi.[128]
The S-IVB stage from SA-515 was converted for use as a backup for Skylab, and is on display at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C.[129]

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

e.pilot posted:

As I said before, I think it's far more likely the FAA puts the kibosh on *passenger* flights within warbirds, and restricting their activities to flyovers and static displays at airshows.

They aren't going to do anything to dissuade rich people from their hobbies, but it's within their remit to keep people from dying in crashes that are wholly preventable by simply saying "no more for-profit flights." Could be as simple as slapping an Experimental designation on any rebuilt aircraft that fits the designation of a warbird. That wouldn't preclude air racing, but it might nix racing aircraft from performing at air shows doing anything other than high speed passes and looking :swoon: on the ground.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Hey. There are three or four of us who aren't chud-fucks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I think I'm okay with that, that's like concentrated B-17! I also understand that components and parts need to be replaced and repaired. If the parts are from the same era produced by the same companies that created the originals, that seems acceptable. But if too much of the plane is new manufacture, it starts to feel, watered down, at least.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Sad news for space fans. Michael Collins died today. He lived about 800 feet from me, but I never got to meet him and tell him how his biography was funny as hell and easily the most honest of all the Apollo astronauts'. Apparently, he worked out at the local YMCA and if I hadn't let myself go to hell the past five years I could have annoyed him with questions while on the Stairmaster.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/28/509599284/forgotten-astronaut-michael-collins-dies

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ausgezeichnet posted:

Sad news for space fans. Michael Collins died today. He lived about 800 feet from me, but I never got to meet him and tell him how his biography was funny as hell and easily the most honest of all the Apollo astronauts'. Apparently, he worked out at the local YMCA and if I hadn't let myself go to hell the past five years I could have annoyed him with questions while on the Stairmaster.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/28/509599284/forgotten-astronaut-michael-collins-dies

He does have a very special distinction though: of the photo taken of the lunar lander, with earth in the background, he is the one singular human, living or dead, since the beginning of time itself, who is not included somewhere in that photo.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

e.pilot posted:

If they look too closely at ww2 era planes someone may start asking uncomfortable questions about b-52 airframes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Midjack posted:

If they look too closely at ww2 era planes someone may start asking uncomfortable questions about b-52 airframes.

So long as they’re in military hands...