Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Today everyone in our province got an emergency alert related to covid on our phones right around the time our mayor said the infection rate in our city per 100,000 people is higher than India. We have the highest cases per day and most people in ICU since this began. I thought "is this it? Are they finally doing a real lockdown?"

LMAO no. They're closing gyms in areas deemed hot spots. If you're in a hot spot, there's no travel restriction so you can just go somewhere else.

WHOOP DEE FUCKIN DOO!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Blitter posted:

Also, many people seem intent on drawing the conclusions they like the best from the information they are provided so when the CDC posts new confusing guidance

Like this:

What they see is:

This generated an audible chuckle (though I'm a little ashamed to admit that it took me way too long to get it - I was trying to figure out the flashing lights and didn't immediately pay attention to the altered text).

"Blitter the funny and talented animated gif creator" is a better poster than "Blitter the yelling rage elemental." You should do some more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Australian government needs to suck it up and build more and better quarantine capacity.

It’s not just the humane thing to do, it’s the right thing to do even if purely for self interest. Making people lie about their travel history doesn’t deter them, it just leaves you in the dark when they inevitably arrive.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Unlucky7 posted:

I would like to know a little more about this. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the vaccine and getting my second jab in a couple of weeks but I have also seen some people hm and haw on twitter over this.

I know that the mRNA vaccines have been put out due to a CDC (FDA?) emergency order, which entailed I think was a 8 month testing period (this is off the top of my head so forgive me if it is wrong), and they basically ruled the benefits outweighed the risks, so while they are not approved, it is probably as close as you are going to get to it in these extraordinary circumstances. And I heard that mRNA vaccines have been in the works for some time and they only pivoted to COVID once the outbreak was in full swing.

The article that CaptainSarcastic linked is good. Also

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/featured-topic/covid-19-vaccine-myths-debunked

And

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/heres-how-it-was-possible-to-develop-covid-19-vaccines-so-quickly

Really it kind of just comes down to the fact that some perfectly reasonable people just need a little bit of reassurance. I think that most any credible source coming from a person they trust may be enough to nudge some people off the fence.

Probably won't do much to change the opinions of randos on Twitter though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The Australian government needs to suck it up and build more and better quarantine capacity.

It’s not just the humane thing to do, it’s the right thing to do even if purely for self interest. Making people lie about their travel history doesn’t deter them, it just leaves you in the dark when they inevitably arrive.

Agreed, though would it even be possible to lie about your recent travel history if you're arriving at an Australian airport with a modern biometric passport?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

jokes posted:

Can I eat inside a restaurant? Doesn't that necessitate, ya know, taking the mask off?

You can only order soup.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I got the moderna vax on an empty stomach

I don't recommend it. hot flashes and cold flashes, light headed, maybe anxiety, etc.

20 minutes in I calmed down. Probably should have ate

shoulder still loving hurts day 2 in, range of motion decreased, very tender. will do stretches tomorrow to counteract it. otherwise so far no other symptoms

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s so strange seeing the cultural differences, vaccine hesitancy is really not a thing here, we had a bit of it at the start within the BAME community but community and religious leaders stepped up and the gap is closing - Finsbury Park Mosque setting up a vaccination clinic should get Imam Sheikh Mohammed Mahmoud a knighthood but it won’t (there was a terrorist attack on the Mosque a few years ago, and this is the guy who stepped in and prevented the guy from being killed by the mob)

Papers keep running “Shame the Luddite!” Stories about care home staff who feel bullied because they are being shunned and finding themselves off the rota, and we do have a genuine court case going through where 22 old people died of covid in a home and the two vaccine refusers got arrested for criminal negligence - if they get found guilty then that’s it care home workers and medical staff can get fired for refusing the vaccine.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Biked out to a mass vaccination site Friday morning, got the first jab of the Moderna vaccine, and biked back. Maybe the exercise involved helped alleviate the arm soreness as I haven't felt a thing except for some mild stiffness when I raise my arm over my head.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My AstraZeneca side effects disappeared after about 40 hours. The first 30 or so hours were drat rough, though.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I just had the unpleasant thought that if it turns out we do need boosters every year, and a majority of people are having a day or two of really unpleasant side effects every time they get the shot, we'll probably see vaccination rates start slipping away pretty quickly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not a majority, but it is significant.

Reminder that the placebo here is just salt water. It’s incredible how many people psyched themselves out. I’m pretty sure that most people don’t get weekly headaches.

Mandating that employers give three days paid time off for vaccination would go a long way, I think.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:31 on May 1, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

For Pfizer, that's good. I know a lot of people in Australia who've got AZ (because of either healthcare work or airport work) and I'd estimate about two thirds of them were knocked on their rear end for a day or two - fever, chills, nausea, insomnia etc.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah the side effect profile is notably worse for that.

Bizarrely, side effects of the second dose were reportedly less severe, but that’s with ten participants from the original irregular AstraZeneca trial, so take that with a grain of salt. It’s good news for boosters if it holds, though.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

learnincurve posted:

It’s so strange seeing the cultural differences, vaccine hesitancy is really not a thing here,

It's been increasing here. There was a great deal of support for and optimism about it until the wheels fell off the rollout. People have stopped trusting the government and that inevitably bleeds over into distrust of the vaccination programme.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Uk is at the point where we can see with certainty that the only people who have ended up in hospital with covid after even one shot are a handful of very vulnerable people - hopefully when other countries start to catch up with us and they can see that the UK population is fine and no one has grown any third heads attitudes will shift.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Platystemon posted:

It’s not a majority, but it is significant.

Reminder that the placebo here is just salt water. It’s incredible how many people psyched themselves out. I’m pretty sure that most people don’t get weekly headaches.

Mandating that employers give three days paid time off for vaccination would go a long way, I think.

I'm the guy who got the placebo shot and immediately started vomiting

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

UK population is fine and no one has grown any third heads attitudes will shift.

This is a big claim for a country containing both Sellafield and Exeter.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Bizarrely, side effects of the second dose were reportedly less severe, but that’s with ten participants from the original irregular AstraZeneca trial, so take that with a grain of salt. It’s good news for boosters if it holds, though.

Is it possible that the serious side effects are because on the first shot the immune system genuinely has no loving clue what's going on and just throws everything it can at it, but on the second one it just goes "Oh, it's you again" and doesn't feel the need to escalate to the rest of your body and tell you to go lay down somewhere while it sorts it out?

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

i got my second moderna shot two days ago, and that night i could not sleep. i just wouldn't go unconscious. then yesterday i slept maybe an hour. i also had all the chills, fever, and nausea.

i have a fitbit with a heart rate monitor, and i hover between 60-63 as my resting heart rate. my heart rate was around 90 all thursday night when i couldn't sleep, and hasn't gone below 70 since. i read around, and elevated heart rate is just a sign of immune response, but i feel like my body is in a state of panic. i walked three blocks yesterday, and my heart rate stayed at 100 for over an hour afterwards.

nothing like this happened after shot one, I only had mild fatigue then. glad i got the shot though.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/erictopol/status/1388201666659319808?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Good for them, but every state could match California and the national rate would still be above the threshold of ten thousand per day.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/04/health/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The uk held a 3000 person rave with no masks etc. Testing and post testing involved to see the implications. Pretty cool I think. Interested to see what they discover and how it compares as a vector to other stuff.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

killer crane posted:

i got my second moderna shot two days ago, and that night i could not sleep. i just wouldn't go unconscious. then yesterday i slept maybe an hour. i also had all the chills, fever, and nausea.

i have a fitbit with a heart rate monitor, and i hover between 60-63 as my resting heart rate. my heart rate was around 90 all thursday night when i couldn't sleep, and hasn't gone below 70 since. i read around, and elevated heart rate is just a sign of immune response, but i feel like my body is in a state of panic. i walked three blocks yesterday, and my heart rate stayed at 100 for over an hour afterwards.

nothing like this happened after shot one, I only had mild fatigue then. glad i got the shot though.
Shot one yesterday left me falling asleep at 1:30am last night, which is way later than usual. Just felt weirdly not tired. No other symptoms on waking and heart rate stuck at its usual 46 bpm resting.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes in the next 24 hours and how bad the second shot will hit me.

naem
May 29, 2011

some unnecessary family drama happened when I politely declined an in person family get together in a household with children attending in person school, at least until my second vax.

I avoided drama a few times by just being polite and “oh man not this week haha soon though guys totally” until today when they invited themselves over and I excused myself to a park

AWKWARD plus I’m staying for free at someone’s house (to save money to possibly buy a house, assuming I get to have a career again soon or like, ever) and the whole reason to buy a house is to be near the people who are now mad at me

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

killer crane posted:

Shot 1 elevated my heart rate for 3 days and left me feeling manic. Shot 2 made it literally impossible for me to sleep the first night too.

I think it's just one of the things this vaccine does. Immune systems are loving weird.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Everyone at the Kentucky Derby is going to catch Covid.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If only there had been a horse racing festival that could predict this...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-52485584.amp

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is a big claim for a country containing both Sellafield and Exeter.

Maybe if the coronavirus had a bunch of cool alarms like Sellafield people would take it more seriously. I like the one that sounds like a spooky train is about to hit me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtNgOeqBKQU

I have to imagine if you could actually hear any of these alarms it's probably too late, like if you're in the facility and the criticality alarm goes off you're probably hosed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone had to set all those alarms off to record them.

We have a super loud nuclear attack/asteroid/the world is ending alarm at the water treatment plant near the estate which is periodically tested with no warning to the locals, and jfk the automatic reaction is to run inside and hold on to your kids, first time you hear it there is a 100% loss of all dignity.

Few years back some dickhead thought he was really funny and kept on setting it off and there was a benny hill moment where he ended up running round his car and away from the group of tooled up local lads who wanted a chat - he drove away and never came back and that was the last time the god drat siren went off.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

Hippie Hedgehog made multiple claims about how ineffective masks are but they are Swedish, uh not the best source for pandemic advice unless you want to kill your grandparents.

Hey there, sorry to hear I apparently pissed you off in the past. Was it the below that got your hackles raised, or was it some other post of mine?

What do you think is the best way to not kill your grandparents? (Mine were all dead before Covid even started, but I like to think I wouldn't have given them covid given that I haven't left the loving house for a year.)

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't mean to come off as an rear end, but if you want to make sure not to get infected, your move should not be "invite people over and wear an N95 mask". It should be "don't invite people over".

I still can't shake the feeling that the proliferation of mask-wearing is contributing to spread1. A lot of people seem to mistakenly assume it's OK to stay indoors with other people for extended periods, as long as everyone masks up.

1 Compared to not wearing a mask but isolating.

You're right, though, that messaging is pretty lovely so hopefully they have a new and better infographic tomorrow. And another for next week. People need constant reminders.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 1, 2021

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

freebooter posted:

I just had the unpleasant thought that if it turns out we do need boosters every year, and a majority of people are having a day or two of really unpleasant side effects every time they get the shot, we'll probably see vaccination rates start slipping away pretty quickly.

With the effectiveness of the better vaccines and the resources that are being put behind mass production and roll out, with any hope we can actually start looking at eradication in two years or so. 85-90%+ is crazy good for a vaccine. While, yeah there is going to be issues, if people and governments start getting in mind eradication, it's not an undoable task and it would mean after ap few years not regually vaccines.

We have stopped disease with vaccines not nearly as good.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Hey there, sorry to hear I apparently pissed you off in the past. Was it the below that got your hackles raised, or was it some other post of mine?

What do you think is the best way to not kill your grandparents? (Mine were all dead before Covid even started, but I like to think I wouldn't have given them covid given that I haven't left the loving house for a year.)

You're right, though, that messaging is pretty lovely so hopefully they have a new and better infographic tomorrow. And another for next week. People need constant reminders.

Yeah, after reading Blitter's note I went back over all your posts in the the thread to find out where you said that masks don't work.

I really don't understand how people can read "masks aren't good enough that wearing them is the only required mitigation strategy" and take it to mean "lol, masks don't work and are totally pointless; open 'er up!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Castaign posted:

I really don't understand how people can read "masks aren't good enough that wearing them is the only required mitigation strategy" and take it to mean "lol, masks don't work and are totally pointless; open 'er up!"

Ask Genesplicer. :v:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Ask Genesplicer. :v:

If you don't want to get probed for your claims, then you should really consider backing them up. Maybe a link to a CDC article about the efficacy of different types of masks or something. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/masking-science-sars-cov2.html posted:

Studies demonstrate that cloth mask materials can also reduce wearers’ exposure to infectious droplets through filtration, including filtration of fine droplets and particles less than 10 microns. The relative filtration effectiveness of various masks has varied widely across studies, in large part due to variation in experimental design and particle sizes analyzed. Multiple layers of cloth with higher thread counts have demonstrated superior performance compared to single layers of cloth with lower thread counts, in some cases filtering nearly 50% of fine particles less than 1 micron .14,17-29 Some materials (e.g., polypropylene) may enhance filtering effectiveness by generating triboelectric charge (a form of static electricity) that enhances capture of charged particles18,30 while others (e.g., silk) may help repel moist droplets31 and reduce fabric wetting and thus maintain breathability and comfort.

Jesus. gently caress. Just kill me now.

Imagine crowing about “nearly” fifty percent performance,

for the best material tested,

and note the word “material”, so fit isn’t even at issue here,

against softball particles,

when masks with filtration efficacy fifty times better than that sit forlornly in warehouses while the facilities that make them go idle.

As someone else said,

whiskey patrol posted:

I've seen places spend ridiculous amounts of money to reduce risk levels that are wayyyyy lower than what we see with COVID.

I keep coming across people who are intelligent and not generally overly credulous, and even they have internalized the belief that they are going about their day (safely) behind their cloth mask.

Folks, you’ve been conned.

Platystemon posted:

It keeps happening!

It is criminal that the authorities have allowed, nay, encouraged you to believe that you were going about safely. Here’s documentation of the virus infecting through surgical masks that were worn correctly by both parties, and with eye protection. Yeah, it’s in a healthcare setting, but the patients were asymptomatic and masked. It doesn’t get much closer to a grocery store, and we’re not studying grocery stores.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
KN95s are way better than cloth, right? That's what I've been sticking to for a while now. I find them to be a lot less annoying to wear too, since the ones I buy have great ear loops and a better fit than cloth. I have a big nose, so even cloth masks with good nose wires have pretty garbage fit for me.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Jesus. gently caress. Just kill me now.

Imagine crowing about “nearly” fifty percent performance,

for the best material tested,

and note the word “material”, so fit isn’t even at issue here,

against softball particles,

when masks with filtration efficacy fifty times better than that sit forlornly in warehouses while the facilities that make them go idle.

As someone else said,

I keep coming across people who are intelligent and not generally overly credulous, and even they have internalized the belief that they are going about their day (safely) behind their cloth mask.

Folks, you’ve been conned.

Might have been lost in translation, but I was making a funny. That probe was weird.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Castaign posted:

Yeah, after reading Blitter's note I went back over all your posts in the the thread to find out where you said that masks don't work.

I was being rather harsh, it's true:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Read that study again that was linked: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/3/20-4714_article

We don't know how many would have been infected if the index patient had not worn a mask, but it would probably be more. I've said it before in this thread and it bears repeating: Masks will mitigate risk to some extent but are not very effective at preventing spread if you spend extended time together indoors. Avoiding others is the only way to be completely safe. Do not go to airports, do not fly, do not go on long bus or train journeys.

Masks are incredibly effective (or, they can be..). Many healthcare workers have had nearly daily exposure and have avoided infection for months on end. So I very strongly disagree.

But it's also entirely true that risk removal is >> risk mitigation and I had forgotten that you emphasized that point and the statement on the masks isn't deserving of the harsh comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Castaign posted:

Might have been lost in translation, but I was making a funny. That probe was weird.

I sensed you were being sarcastic, but I will take any opportunity to push real PPE.

And when I actually looked it up on the CDC’s website, I found that it was even worse than I thought.

Even the trash-tier “facial coverings” that the ærosol instrumentation engineer tests in his bathroom and posts to his mountain biking YouTube channel usually pull eighty percent. They’re purpose-built surgical masks, but they don’t seal tightly and they’re not for use in hazardous environments.