Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I’ve got the brushless upgrade to that and it’s great. I can do almost everything on two 4ah batteries and I’m in the country with a whole lot of stuff to weedeat. I do wish the kit that comes with the rapid charger was sold when I bought it last year because it takes forever to charge the batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I've been so impressed with my ryobi 40v stuff that I'm considering the 18" chainsaw. Anyone have any experience?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

nitsuga posted:

Is the 40V Ryobi String Trimmer as great as it looks? I don’t need any other lawn tools right now, but I do want a string trimmer, and it looks like kind of a home run price wise.

I bought one for light backyard trimming and it’s hilarious overkill, but I’m a big tough manly man so I love it. The battery life is good, and it hasn’t had any trouble with anything I’ve tried.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I ended up getting a plug-in Black & Decker for free, so we'll see how that goes. I know I don't love cords, but I've got nothing to lose giving this a try. That Ryobi will be on my mind though. :smith:

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I know we all love battery stuff but I found out that if you need to do angle grind the rust off a frame or exhaust, the batteries don't last very long (Ryobi 5Ah+2,5Ah). Had to stop so many times that I was about to dig out the chorded angle grinder. At the end I just decided that project creep sucks and said gently caress it.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Finally spotted a very nice deal locally and ran out to pick it up before someone else could swipe it.

Sorry for the not good photos, the light in the garage leaves something to be desired

There were only a couple of poor photos on the listing and someone had painted over the normal General green finish but I noticed the table still had the green. I had to quickly google some General drill presses to confirm what it was and it is indeed a pretty nice General drill press. It's insanely heavy compared to my old one and it was quite a struggle to get it into the car. I can't quite make out the serial number so I don't know how old it is. Over all it seems in quite good shape, just needs a bit of a cleanup and a new power cord since the old one is incredibly frayed.

Edit: Forgot to add, it was $150 (Canadian). I don't know that I've ever seen someone selling a floor standing drill press for less than about $300

Squibbles fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 3, 2021

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
A quick question for you people over here in DIY: I have a new bandsaw and am trying to decide what kind of blade I should get as the one it came with is butter knife dull. Something for cutting wood or metal. I cut a lot more wood in my shop than metal but for those times I need to cut some rod or something it'd be nice to just have a tool I can flip on real quick and be done with it. Tell me the downside of just slapping a metal cutting blade on that bad boy and using it as a general purpose blade. I'd like to avoid swapping blades ever unless one is worn or broken.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Literally A Person posted:

A quick question for you people over here in DIY: I have a new bandsaw and am trying to decide what kind of blade I should get as the one it came with is butter knife dull. Something for cutting wood or metal. I cut a lot more wood in my shop than metal but for those times I need to cut some rod or something it'd be nice to just have a tool I can flip on real quick and be done with it. Tell me the downside of just slapping a metal cutting blade on that bad boy and using it as a general purpose blade. I'd like to avoid swapping blades ever unless one is worn or broken.

A fine toothed metal blade will work on wood, it will just take longer than a purpose made blade for wood.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

With the smaller teeth of a metal cutting blade it'll make slow progress through wood and generate more heat, which could cause scorch marks on larger pieces of wood you're cutting, if you ever do that.

I would say it's probably a non issue

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SpartanIvy posted:

With the smaller teeth of a metal cutting blade it'll make slow progress through wood and generate more heat, which could cause scorch marks on larger pieces of wood you're cutting, if you ever do that.

I would say it's probably a non issue

Rutibex posted:

A fine toothed metal blade will work on wood, it will just take longer than a purpose made blade for wood.

Okay. This is exactly what I was thinking but needed that sweet sweet goon confirmation. Thanks, goons!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I used to use my dad's small bandsaw to cut up hard maple for guitar necks and I slapped a metal blade on it one day because the other blade that had been on it since he bought it broke and that was the only one in that size I could find locally.

It did such a better job than the admittedly old and dull blade on that maple no scorching no saw marks to speak of just beautiful cuts.

I was also cutting up thrift store metal trays and plastics to use as hardware on those guitars so not having to switch blades back and forth was a bonus.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
LAP , just use your dangermill to cut wood and metal.

While not ideal, (efficiency wise) would a fine toothed metal blade not make nicer cuts in wood because of the more, smaller teeth?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

LAP , just use your dangermill to cut wood and metal.

While not ideal, would a fine toothed metal blade not make nicer cuts in wood because of the more, smaller teeth?

That's the idea. But more teeth per inch equals less board/ft a minute trough the saw. The reason I asked in the first place was to see if someone was going to say it was unreasonably slow to cut wood with.

DANGERmill has finally been retired. I'm now using the, surisingly, safer free hand slabbing.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

That's the idea. But more teeth per inch equals less board/ft a minute trough the saw. The reason I asked in the first place was to see if someone was going to say it was unreasonably slow to cut wood with.

DANGERmill has finally been retired. I'm now using the, surisingly, safer free hand slabbing.

A metal cutting blade will cut wood much much much slower than a woodworking blade and probably make your saw work alot harder especially it you are cutting thicker wood. There are lots of different kinds of woodworking blades that vary from cut fast but leave a rougher finish to cut slow but a leave a very fine finish.

There was a bunch of bandsaw blade chat in the Woodworking Thread a few months ago that starts about here if you want to read up on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2819334&pagenumber=757&perpage=40#post510665793

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

A metal cutting blade will cut wood much much much slower than a woodworking blade and probably make your saw work alot harder especially it you are cutting thicker wood. There are lots of different kinds of woodworking blades that vary from cut fast but leave a rougher finish to cut slow but a leave a very fine finish.

There was a bunch of bandsaw blade chat in the Woodworking Thread a few months ago that starts about here if you want to read up on it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2819334&pagenumber=757&perpage=40#post510665793

Thanks for the link. I'm going to definitely take a gander.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Did nobody mention blade speeds should be pretty different for metal and wood? Unless your handsaw has multiple speeds it's set up for one or the other.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Go with a mid-range, medium set carbide toothed blade. Problem solved.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Go with a mid-range, medium set carbide toothed blade. Problem solved.

Bang. Done.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are those pump sprayers any good at outdoor stain? I'm redoing some furniture, and I don't want to spend all day with a paintbrush, and I only have a pancake compressor which probably isn't big enough for an air sprayer. Or should I just spend money on an electric HVLP sprayer?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 5, 2021

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FogHelmut posted:

Are those pump sprayers any good at outdoor stain? I'm redoing some furniture, and I don't want to spend all day with a paintbrush, and I only have a pancake compressor which probably isn't big enough for an air sprayer. Or should I just spend money on an electric HVLP sprayer?

Are you referring to airless sprayers? Because if so, yes. Only way to go, imo.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Timely discussion. I need to spray a bunch of kids furniture in some loud colors and would rather not rattlecan it. Was thinking about getting a $50 paint sprayer at the pawn shop to hook up to my compressor and use some cabinet enamels. But it sounds like this is the road to misery?

Edit: clarifying that in not doing fine furniture restoration here.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 5, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

Are you referring to airless sprayers? Because if so, yes. Only way to go, imo.

Like this https://www.harborfreight.com/handheld-hvlp-paint-stain-sprayer-64934.html

Also I meant to say I'm doing outdoor furniture.

Also I used a Wagner from like the 1980s a few years ago and it was horrible.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

stealie72 posted:

Timely discussion. I need to spray a bunch of kids furniture in some loud colors and would rather not rattlecan it. Was thinking about getting a $50 paint sprayer at the pawn shop to hook up to my compressor and use some cabinet enamels. But it sounds like this is the road to misery?

Edit: clarifying that in not doing fine furniture restoration here.

Worked great for me. I bought this cheap guy on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/PNTGREEN-H2001-Gravity-Nozzle-Keychain/dp/B07CPMHZFS/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Hvlp+Spray&qid=1620221335&sr=8-16

and use it to spray thinned down latex on miniature terrain I was building.

The reviews say that anything oil based or with solvents more significant than water can take the finish off the gun but for $23 I've certainly got my moneys worth.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Numinous posted:

Worked great for me. I bought this cheap guy on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/PNTGREEN-H2001-Gravity-Nozzle-Keychain/dp/B07CPMHZFS/ref=sr_1_16?dchild=1&keywords=Hvlp+Spray&qid=1620221335&sr=8-16

and use it to spray thinned down latex on miniature terrain I was building.

The reviews say that anything oil based or with solvents more significant than water can take the finish off the gun but for $23 I've certainly got my moneys worth.

Lol i love this image:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

nitsuga posted:

Is the 40V Ryobi String Trimmer as great as it looks?

As with any trimmer, replace the head and you'll love it.

My only issue with that system is it loving eats batteries for breakfast when you start using the edging attachment, and the batteries get touchy when they are getting used up that fast.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Expand-It-8-in-Universal-Straight-Shaft-Edger-Attachment-RYEDG12/207209914

NomNomNom posted:

I've been so impressed with my ryobi 40v stuff that I'm considering the 18" chainsaw. Anyone have any experience?

I have the 16" (I think) and have had no issues with it. I took down a 6" dia tree in my neighbors yard, it never had any issues.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 6, 2021

simble
May 11, 2004

AFewBricksShy posted:

As with any trimmer, replace the head and you'll love it.

Can you explain this a little bit? What does the replacement head give you? Do you have some examples of replacement heads?

I am struggling with my current trimmer. The line feed on it is god drat terrible. The rest of the trimmer is fine.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

simble posted:

Can you explain this a little bit? What does the replacement head give you? Do you have some examples of replacement heads?

I am struggling with my current trimmer. The line feed on it is god drat terrible. The rest of the trimmer is fine.

Bump feeders suck donkey rear end.
I have a 4 "blade" version of this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rino-Tuff-Pivotrim-Hybrid-Universal-Trimmer-Head-16665/204601175

Just pre clip some 1' long pieces of trimmer wire in case you shred them and you're good to go. They pivot if they hit something like a fence so they don't instantly shear off like with a bump fed trimmer line.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been thinking about 3d printing trimmer head/blades like that. If you make em out of PLA instead of nylon they'd be more enviromentally friendly too.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

CommonShore posted:

I've been thinking about 3d printing trimmer head/blades like that. If you make em out of PLA instead of nylon they'd be more enviromentally friendly too.

Wouldn't PLA just shatter though?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

If you make em out of PLA instead of nylon they'd be more enviromentally friendly too.

Why? Surely you don't think anywhere actually recycles or composts PLA, right? That's a fairy tale.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Idk which thread to put this in, i guess this’ll do:

I recently bought a set of these DRILLBRUSH things:

and instead of being gimmicks like i expected, they’re actually very useful for anything requiring a lot of elbow-grease scrubbin over a large surface area- i can scrub down my shower stall in half the time it normally takes, gets in the grout better too. which makes me think: why don’t we use rotary brushes for more tedious scrubbing tasks? I use rotary tools at work all day and then go home and *scrub dishes* by hand, during my free time, like a moron ape.

I am having visions of a... dedicated kitchen rotary brush system, a cheaper substitute or complement to a dishwasher. basically a heavy-duty 1/4” shank Foredom tool or an equivalent system, with the motor mounted under the countertop and a flexshaft + handpiece emerging next to the sink through a waterproof cable gland. maybe even keep the foot-pedal speed control so you can control/adjust it without having to let go of something. i’m thinking of how quickly I could blast through an incredibly gnarly roast pan or w/e and land o lakes

anyways, i rent so i’m not actually gonna make this thing in the foreseeable future, but surely sth similar to this must already exist already in some form? it seems like such low-hanging fruit to me, a guy who loves clever ways to become even lazier

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 7, 2021

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ambrose Burnside posted:

and instead of being gimmicks like i expected, they’re actually very useful for anything requiring a lot of elbow-grease scrubbin over a large surface area- i can scrub down my shower stall in half the time it normally takes, gets in the grout better too. which makes me think: why don’t we use rotary brushes for more tedious scrubbing tasks? I use rotary tools at work all day and then go home and *scrub dishes* by hand, during my free time, like a moron ape.

I am having visions of a... dedicated kitchen rotary brush system, a cheaper substitute or complement to a dishwasher. basically a heavy-duty 1/4” shank Foredom tool or an equivalent system, with the motor mounted under the countertop and a flexshaft + handpiece emerging next to the sink through a waterproof cable gland. maybe even keep the foot-pedal speed control so you can control/adjust it without having to let go of something. i’m thinking of how quickly I could blast through an incredibly gnarly roast pan or w/e and man

anyways, i rent so i’m not actually gonna make this thing in the foreseeable future, but surely sth similar to this must already exist already in some form? it seems like such low-hanging fruit to me, a guy who loves clever ways to become even lazier

Whoa, that actually sounds like a great tool. I'm thinking you could set it up so that to power the brush it uses water flowing through it and that would aid in cleaning. Might get a little messy, though...

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Thats funny, Ive made my own versions of those out of toilet bowl scrubbers and the OXO sink scrubbers my wife deems being "past their usefulness". They've always worked really well for cleaning certain things.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I am having visions of a... dedicated kitchen rotary brush system, a cheaper substitute or complement to a dishwasher. basically a heavy-duty 1/4” shank Foredom tool or an equivalent system, with the motor mounted under the countertop and a flexshaft + handpiece emerging next to the sink through a waterproof cable gland. maybe even keep the foot-pedal speed control so you can control/adjust it without having to let go of something. i’m thinking of how quickly I could blast through an incredibly gnarly roast pan or w/e and man

I have these drill brushes too and I agree 100%. Manual scrubbing is for suckers

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't think that will work on all my drills. Some of them are brushless

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Do they make those cleaning brushes with sds max shanks?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

canyoneer posted:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

El Jebus posted:

Whoa, that actually sounds like a great tool. I'm thinking you could set it up so that to power the brush it uses water flowing through it and that would aid in cleaning. Might get a little messy, though...

yeah i was thinkin about that- air-powered rotary tools, dentist drills etc all use turbines with air as the working fluid, no reason you can't do the same with water. normal dishwashers already use water to spin the arms, this is just a smaller implementation of that. and if you go back over a century, water-powered home appliances were actually very common for the ~20 year gap between when indoor plumbing became common in the industrialized world but before small motors were mature enough for easy use by consumers, iirc they usually used pelton wheels to suit the high head/low flow characteristics of municipal plumbing service.
you could put a small inline... Francis or Kaplan? turbine in the handpiece of a self-contained Cleaning Wand you screw onto your faucet, or you could use a more efficient but bulkier turbine unit with dedicated plumbing mounted under the counter and have it turn the flexshaft. im doubtful of being able to extract sufficient work from a small inline turbine, but this is where it becomes a real engineering problem, tailoring the turbine to the application so the resultant RPM and torque are appropriate and useful for scrubbing dishes

wild card option: build a small trompe hydraulic air compressor from normal plumbing components (no moving parts!) and install it alongside your existing plumbing, passing the air it compresses into a generously-sized hydraulic accumulator/expansion tank under the sink. you now have a passive, silent air compressor + air bowser that is continually topped up through normal use of the faucet. the actual Rotary Device is an off-the-shelf air polisher connected to the accumulator with the usual airline hose

Ambrose Burnside fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 6, 2021

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

canyoneer posted:

god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ambrose Burnside posted:

yeah i was thinkin about that- air-powered rotary tools, dentist drills etc all use turbines with air as the working fluid, no reason you can't do the same with water. normal dishwashers already use water to spin the arms, this is just a smaller implementation of that. and if you go back over a century, water-powered home appliances were actually very common for the ~20 year gap between when indoor plumbing became common in the industrialized world but before small motors were mature enough for easy use by consumers, iirc they usually used pelton wheels to suit the high head/low flow characteristics of municipal plumbing service.
you could put a small inline... Francis? turbine in the handpiece of a self-contained Cleaning Wand you screw onto your faucet, or you could use a more efficient but bulkier turbine unit with dedicated plumbing mounted under the counter and have it turn the flexshaft. im doubtful of being able to extract sufficient work from a small inline turbine, but this is where it becomes a real engineering problem, tailoring the turbine to the application so the resultant RPM and torque are appropriate and useful for scrubbing dishes

wild card option: build a small trompe hydraulic air compressor from normal plumbing components (no moving parts!) and install it alongside your existing plumbing, passing the air it compresses into a generously-sized hydraulic accumulator/expansion tank under the sink. you now have a passive, silent air compressor + air bowser that is continually topped up through normal use of the faucet. the actual Rotary Device is an off-the-shelf air polisher connected to the accumulator with the usual airline hose

Im pretty sure that dishwashers use a spinning thing powered by water pressure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98p6bKVC5nw