Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Yeah, I mean, GK Chesterton is like the definition of a conversative orthodox catholic continually bemoaning the modern world. Just thought it was an interesting perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yeah, I mean, GK Chesterton is like the definition of a conversative orthodox catholic continually bemoaning the modern world. Just thought it was an interesting perspective.

No I agree, it was interesting which is why I spent time thinking about it and responding to it! I get what he was going for and the theory, just don't fully agree.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Play posted:

No I agree, it was interesting which is why I spent time thinking about it and responding to it! I get what he was going for and the theory, just don't fully agree.

I think he takes for granted that you actually have to engage with your neighbors at some level, because in his day there wasn't ever present mass communication and shared traditions are probably in his mind all Christian ones. I doubt his imagination stretched far enough to imagine a Moslem moving in next door! Though I could be wrong, he wrote like thousands of essays.

The neighbors I know are fine, they seem to be moderate republicans and 20 years older than us but not weirdos and we make small talk when we're all outside. It would be cool to have a block party or something to meet other younger families. I know there's some in the neighborhood because they walk by sometimes on the way to the playground with their kids.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A Fancy Hat posted:

walk around with guns all the time

I have this neighbor. During the height of the George Floyd protests last year it wasn't unusual to see him in his back yard with his tacticool vest on, AR hung around the shoulder and a billion lumen headlamp, just scanning his back yard for hours. This man is in his 50s.

Buddy, even if the "BLM mobs" were coming for ya, I don't think they'd be tunneling under your fence as a point of first attack.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chief McHeath posted:

I have this neighbor. During the height of the George Floyd protests last year it wasn't unusual to see him in his back yard with his tacticool vest on, AR hung around the shoulder and a billion lumen headlamp, just scanning his back yard for hours. This man is in his 50s.

Buddy, even if the "BLM mobs" were coming for ya, I don't think they'd be tunneling under your fence as a point of first attack.

These people scare the crap out of me. It's the fact that they're so untethered from reality and also so heavily armed. That's a spicy combination.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Some highlights from the guy who lived behind me at my last place:

-Caught his garage on fire twice trying to half-rear end a grow-op, the second time he decided not to replace his garage door and just propped a piece of plywood up over the entrance.

-Refused to let PG&E into his backyard to trim the trees around a powerline that went over his property, eventually they had to roll up with cops to force him to let them do the trimming job.

-In retaliation for this, he decided he was no longer going to pay his power bill. When they cut him off, he bought a gigantic diesel generator and ran it 24/7 to power his whole house. He'd go get the fuel for it by skatebording a couple blocks over to the gas station to fill up a canister.

-Collected shitloads of CD's for no other reason than to sit on his front porch and chuck them onto the sidewalk/street as hard as he could.

-Didn't own a car but was sick of people parking in front of his house, so he pushed his full couch out onto the curb to block the parking spot. Multiple times city people showed up to haul it away as junk and he got into protracted screaming fights with them over it.

-Would get drunk and just chuck the bottles everywhere, one time he hurled a 1.5L bottle of mystery vodka right at my front door and covered the entire porch in shattered glass.

-Owned multiple parrots that he'd start screaming at every morning around 5AM - they would naturally scream back - and would keep it up for at least an hour, sometimes two!

-Hopped the fence into my backyard to use my BBQ grill to (rather unsuccessfully) burn some kind of torn up document. Had the decency to at least use his own charcoal and leave half a bag behind on my back porch.

-Was also perfectly friendly with me and my roommate whenever we bumped into each other, and even recommended a couple awesome bars in the area I'd have never looked twice at otherwise.

Outside of the crazy gun toting folks I think I've just been completely desensitized to crazy neighbors after living next to that guy almost seven years.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

See this is the kind of neighbor that it is probably best to keep your distance from....

I live in a pretty cheap little apartment complex, It's good for me I love it but I will admit that the people aren't overly friendly and I think everyone around is consumed enough with their own problems that making tons of friends isn't of interest.

The one neighbor I had who was overly social ended up calling apartment security on me like ten times so that may color my view of the whole thing.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Play posted:

See this is the kind of neighbor that it is probably best to keep your distance from....

Yeah, I don't gently caress with the guy. I know his first name and that's it. A few minutes ago I was sitting on the back patio smoking a cigarette, this guy got on his golf cart for his nightly joyride, shined the lights on me, looking at my phone on my own porch, for over a minute, then drove around the block honking the horn to make other neighbors dogs bark.

Keeping your dog outside makes you a lovely person, but honking your golf cart's horn to annoy dogs in already bad situations makes you even shittier.

Thank you for reading my NextDoor post.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

Strange man flipping off my house. This afternoon around 4:15pm a man (white, in his 50s or 60s) driving a light blue sedan (maybe a Camry?) slowed down in front of my house on Oakley Drive and flipped my home the bird. He didn't know at first that I was watching from the window. When he realized I could see him (and was not pleased) he made his gesture even more aggressive. No clue who this guy was, or what his problem is with me and/or my house. My guess is that it's political, but here's the thing: our yard signs have been down for months so my dude must have really committed our lawn decor to memory, which means he probably lives right around here. I'm just glad I wasn't in the yard with my toddler because that behavior is threatening, especially coming from someone who might live just around the corner. I'm posting about it here because if there's something more insidious than a political nut venting some juvenile frustration going on, folks here deserve to know, and to know that it's frightening and unacceptable.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Phone Calls. Does anybody know the number to reverse look up for a phone call? I have received Toni calls saying I owe “some body” a specific amount of money & am past due. NOT TRUE! I do want to know what company this is originating from!!

Plus, I won’t pay over the phone! Don’t know why but instinct say DON’t pay by phone! So I don’t.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fenarisk posted:

We are moving to a house in a suburban area outside Chicago in a few weeks. I plan on signing up for Nextdoor there for laughs, but is it bad that at 37 I have no interest in knowing, talking to, or acknowledging any of the new neighbors? I don't need new friends and nowadays I don't need some goof rear end anti vax trump people being in my business.

Which suburb?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Is Anydbody Selling Plants Door 2 Door?

I remember, for many years, the local school would send kids "round the neighborhood" to sell plants. I got pine trees, fruit trees, etc. GOOD PRICES!!! and it helped the kids raise money and learn business (Sadly forgotten in this day and age!!).

Does the school still do this? I need 4 pine trees, please. Thank you.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Cat piss lady PMs me after I commented on her bizarre "piss bucket" accusation

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

:stare: that is quite the escalation. Please respond with “I’ll pray for you”

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
A real post:

Trash can. To the person who hit our brown trash can..... it’s Sad that your parents did not raise you properly. If so then you would of at least took responsibility to do the right thing and let us know. But then again if you were doing the 25 mph speed limit then that would of never happen now huh?
I’m sure you’ll think about the day that you hit the trash can every single time you speed on our road. You ought to be a shamed of yourself. When you aren’t a responsible and kind person, you will never be a 100% happy person because you invite bad things into your life. Always Remember that. When You do good, then you have good things happen in your life.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Chief McHeath posted:

A real post:

Trash can. To the person who hit our brown trash can..... it’s Sad that your parents did not raise you properly. If so then you would of at least took responsibility to do the right thing and let us know. But then again if you were doing the 25 mph speed limit then that would of never happen now huh?
I’m sure you’ll think about the day that you hit the trash can every single time you speed on our road. You ought to be a shamed of yourself. When you aren’t a responsible and kind person, you will never be a 100% happy person because you invite bad things into your life. Always Remember that. When You do good, then you have good things happen in your life.

Always wondered why I have failed to be a 100% happy person, so this is very illuminating

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

youbrot ifiot she's hot as h_ll

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Last week a helicopter set down in the field of a school down the street. I took a picture of it taking off and was about to inquire if anyone on Nextdoor knew what was going on, then realized with horror that it had almost converted me into one of them.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Hopefully that racoon reads that and brings the bowl of treats back

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Just give me the location and me and my horny butthole will be there post haste, ma'am!!

*pulls down pants and salutes proudly*

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Play posted:

Just give me the location and me and my horny butthole will be there post haste, ma'am!!

*pulls down pants and salutes proudly*

We need a combo of :goatsecx: and :patriot:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sydin posted:

-Hopped the fence into my backyard to use my BBQ grill to (rather unsuccessfully) burn some kind of torn up document. Had the decency to at least use his own charcoal and leave half a bag behind on my back porch.

lmao

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Sydin posted:

Some highlights from the guy who lived behind me at my last place:

The rare true chaotic neutral

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lol, what kind of background story are they expecting? A gypsy curse will stop his heart if he stops playing? Dude plays cause he needs money for food to not starve

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
As regards Chesterton, don't forget he was English and died in the thirties. He probably didn't have the potential for quite the level of gun toting psychos for neighbors as do some of y'all.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

lol, what kind of background story are they expecting? A gypsy curse will stop his heart if he stops playing? Dude plays cause he needs money for food to not starve

Clearly there’s ulterior motive here - probably gang related!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Vicious Dog Bite - Fleeing Owner and Dog. Yesterday evening my 7 year old daughter was attacked by a vicious German Shepherd at the corner of moonfish Dr and Bueno Dr in Marsh Cove. guys full name is the owner of the dog. He owns 3 vicious German Shepherds and lives at 57 moonfish Dr.

He fled with the dog and has refused to allow animal control to take the dog or speak to the police. If you have any information about this man or his dogs I would greatly appreciate it. The dog and vaccination records need to be located ASAP so my daughter does not also have to be treated for rabies on top of everything she has went through since yesterday.

Also please beware of these dangerous dogs and individual.

Person 1
Hair: Brown / mullet type cut

edited a little bit out but the spoiler part is 100% true

e point is that within this next-door post was just a ton of info on the guy Idk how to feel about it in general. gently caress this guy and he needs to be held accountable; but what purpose does it serve to put so much of his info out there? where's the fuckin line at

Sjs00 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 6, 2021

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

within this next-door post was just a ton of info on the guy Idk how to feel about it in general. gently caress this guy and he needs to be held accountable; but what purpose does it serve to put so much of his info out there? where's the fuckin line at

gently caress him, he's effectively seriously assaulted a child and so far avoided all responsibility for it. He deserves to be outed and his vicious dog deserves to be put down.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

BigBadSteve posted:

gently caress him, he's effectively seriously assaulted a child and so far avoided all responsibility for it. He deserves to be outed and his vicious dog deserves to be put down.

This is exactly what I am talking about. The post had so much of his info that someone could very easily just go and take him the gently caress out ! I am not defending this guy specifically; its just that without proper fact checking I see witchhunts coming back over Next Door.
its just a prediction

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Sjs00 posted:

This is exactly what I am talking about. The post had so much of his info that someone could very easily just go and take him the gently caress out ! I am not defending this guy specifically; its just that without proper fact checking I see witchhunts coming back over Next Door.
its just a prediction

i'd be more worried about fb tbqh

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I guess to prevent a vigilante from doling out justice we would need some kind of due process and consequences that would be enforced regardless of the offender's race gender religious belief etc
Sure wish we had one of those!!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
this app is hilarity

Elder abuse at Baptist Hospital in redacted. I am an elderly senior disabled male that has severe health problems and my neurologist ordered lab work 4 me. I want to share this with all of u. I went to baptist yesterday, sat in the waiting area and was called in. I asked where to sit and the lab tech pointed to a bench. Next the lab tech came over to me, no greeting nothing yet this is a christian based hospital.I have severe nerve damage in both my legs and arms. I have trama bruising all over both hands only I layer of skin left and I was about to watch where the needle would be inserted. Next the lab tech said in a loud voice "DONT YOU LOOK AT ME, YOU MAKE ME NERVOUS" I FELT LIKE A 3RD WORLD CITIZEN! I was silent the entire time I was in there and starred at the floor. Next she said loudly "DONE" No good bye. NOTHING I just exited the room. Calls to issue a formal complaint 4 what I feel is elderly abuse have gone no where. I feel stone walled and have used this hospital 4 12 to 14 years. If the tech is nervous inserting needles and drawing blood what is she doing in there? The lab director called me and got so loud and abusive i.hung.up on him. Has anyone else experienced elderly abuse like I did yesterday and treated this way, like an animal? My mind went in so many directions..was the needle contaminated? Did she use improper equipment? Why was I not allowed to watch the procedure to my body? Please share with me
Thank u When the lab director called he would not let me get a word in and said she had no prior complaints and I said I have a huge one.! U know, does a bank robber have a record b4 their 1st robbery? Does a killer have a record prior to their 1st kill? Does a rapist have a record prior to their 1st rape? My complaint did not matter to him! If the lab tech did this to me I am sure she has done it to others prior to me and there will be more after me! I never was mistreated there for 12 to 14 years yet I experienced it yesterday.i just need help getting thru to the administrator .I really want the LOCAL NEWS to hear my story and have others that were abused to come forward! If anyone can reach out to the local news and have them contact me I would hope no one us ever treated the way I was. The hospital per their action DOES NOT GIVE A HOOT ABOUT ME!

like holy loving lamoli

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Not NextDoor but I was looking for a doctor to do a quick physical and found one near me that had 150+ reviews on Google most good.

But one bad review was paragraphs of complaining that I will summarize here:

-My wife needed a new doctor so I found this one
-I took my wife to the doctor and was in exam room with her
-Doctor came in and I didn’t let my wife speak only I am allowed to speak for my wife
-Doctor refused to speak to me and wanted to talk to my wife alone
-No one is allowed to say that to me, a man!
-Bad doctor, I will never allow my wife to go back

Gee I wonder why the doctor wanted to speak to her alone?
:eek:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm going to go out at night and fire off a few rounds just to see if I get more "DID YOU HEAR GUNSHOTS?!?!?!?" than I get every other night.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You don't need to actually use a gun, just go out and make any kind of loud noise. Pop a balloon, hit a telephone pole with a stick, yell the word "bang," it's all gunshots on nextdoor

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
My wife was workshopping a post for Nextdoor about how maybe the police could investigate all of the “gunshots” if everyone on there would stop calling 911 every time a homeless person existed, but gave up when I pointed out that those sorts of people’s solution to that problem would be “more police.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Blue Moonlight posted:

My wife was workshopping a post for Nextdoor about how maybe the police could investigate all of the “gunshots” if everyone on there would stop calling 911 every time a homeless person existed, but gave up when I pointed out that those sorts of people’s solution to that problem would be “more police.”

Can’t have too many homeless if they’re all hired as police!