Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Kosmo Gallion posted:

What is the best Shawn Michaels match?

Summerslam '05

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Wrestlemania’s 25 & 26 against Undertaker are absolute classics.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I remember liking Mania XIX match against Jericho.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

His matches against Angle at WM21 and Vengeance 2005 were great.

As is the Survivor Series 1992 match with Bret, and the two big matches he had with Diesel (WMXI, and IYH: Good Friends, Better Enemies in 1996).

His match with Jarrett at In Your House 2 in 1995 is also worth a watch.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Settle a bet for me - would ECW have been more or less successful if the internet was as accessible as it as now?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Manwithastick posted:

Settle a bet for me - would ECW have been more or less successful if the internet was as accessible as it as now?

Probably about the same unless TV rights fees were also higher. I don't think increased exposure was going to get ECW over the hump in that era. They were always going to lose out on talent unless they got big money from TV or could somehow turn internet exposure into big PPV money. And even with lots of internet buzz in 2005, TNA was doing a fraction of what ECW was on PPV.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

there are a number of other time-based aspects to ecw as well. The product would have to change, and those changes might necessarily affect its popularity as well. In the most literal sense, a show with that crowd yelling that garbage at this time would be far more niche i think.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I believe Paul has claimed that he knew the hardcore aspect wasn't something he wanted to keep doing and ECW would have basically become the Bloodsport event as a promotion

That said Paul stands out as a liar in a business of liars

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I think the tribalism we see with aew and nxt would have been worse with a rabid ecw fanbase and sites like YouTube would have probably gotten the word out easier - that said an at-the-time Shane Douglas Twitter would have been cringe

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My assumption is that ECW would have settled into a position similar to MLW now, not successful enough to keep people around when big companies start sniffing around but successful enough to not die.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Paul was a loving terrible businessman so ECW wouldn't have lasted long regardless of the era

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Benne posted:

Paul was a loving terrible businessman so ECW wouldn't have lasted long regardless of the era

So you're saying I should be thinking less Court Bauer and more Gabe Sapolsky

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I believe Paul has claimed that he knew the hardcore aspect wasn't something he wanted to keep doing and ECW would have basically become the Bloodsport event as a promotion

That said Paul stands out as a liar in a business of liars
I think his claim was less shoot style and more workrate-y like ROH?

It's Paul, but there are reasons to believe this one claim is not bullshit: He had shifted ECW in a much more workrate-y direction at the very end, a good half dozen early core ROH guys came from the House of Hardcore (Mikey Whipwreck's guys), and it would stand to reason that the other NY indie guys who were early core ROH guys (Low-Ki, Homicide, Da Hit Squad, Boogalou, etc.) would have inevitably been recommended by Mikey's guys after they worked shows together on the come-up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Vagabundo posted:

His matches against Angle at WM21 and Vengeance 2005 were great.

As is the Survivor Series 1992 match with Bret, and the two big matches he had with Diesel (WMXI, and IYH: Good Friends, Better Enemies in 1996).

His match with Jarrett at In Your House 2 in 1995 is also worth a watch.

Not his best, but Shawn also had some tv matches in 92 with Ric Flair and Mr Perfect before the Rockers broke up. I never realized the kinds of opportunities he was being given back then.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The match with Flair is on YouTube if you've never seen it

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Manwithastick posted:

I think the tribalism we see with aew and nxt would have been worse with a rabid ecw fanbase and sites like YouTube would have probably gotten the word out easier - that said an at-the-time Shane Douglas Twitter would have been cringe

Heyman couldn't afford to pay his talent, but ECW in modern times does make me wonder if some of the cult-ier talent would have stayed longer because of the recognition (like Whipwreck, Public Enemy, Sandman) and the side opportunities that might have presented.

That said, ECW was the first wrestling promotion with a major internet presence. They had a site on AOL's Grandstand by mid-1995-ish. The ECW site was one of the first I sought out in 1996 when I got internet because their website had been promoted somewhere.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It just occurred to me reading the last few posts that the first ECW matches I ever saw were like 120p RealPlayer files.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
Probably the best place for this:

Is there a good beginning and end point to look at if I want to capture...I guess the essence of the Terry Funk-Ric Flair feud? Or maybe a good recap?

I've only seen a few bits of it, but Funk has always been one of my favorites.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FakePoet posted:

Probably the best place for this:

Is there a good beginning and end point to look at if I want to capture...I guess the essence of the Terry Funk-Ric Flair feud? Or maybe a good recap?

I've only seen a few bits of it, but Funk has always been one of my favorites.

The NWA feud started after Flair regained the title from Ricky Steamboat. Funk was working for the NWA as a interviewer/color commentator and had been doing movies. Funk is interviewing Flair after Flair has beaten Steamboat. Funk asks for a title shot during the interview.

Flair points out that Funk has been off in Hollywood and hasn't been wrestling, and if he wants to get a shot, he needs to get to the back of the line and work his way up.

Funk snaps, beats seven shades of poo poo out of Flair, piledriving him through a table and breaking his neck (kayfabe, I'm pretty sure he didn't actually break it, I think Flair just needed surgery).

Then Flair returns, he and Funk have an incredible I Quit match.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It’s funny that I have see objectively more extra stuff, Funk’s piledriver stands out in my memory as shocking violence.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

AlmightyPants posted:

I am also interested in this one. It looked brutal at the time.

This is from a few days ago but he does it by punching Okada hard around the shoulders and arms. Its unusually visible (NJPW is normally very good at shooting whats going on without giving away the secrets) when Okada is covered up on the ground. Its a great spot because its stuck with me over a year on but it would have sucked for Okada

https://www.reddit.com/r/njpw/comments/el5m8w/probs_the_point_where_i_lost_my_shit_in_the/

Its this for anyone who hasn't seen it

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dawgstar posted:

It’s funny that I have see objectively more extra stuff, Funk’s piledriver stands out in my memory as shocking violence.

The piledriver through the table was one of the worst piledrivers I've ever seen. And not in a good way.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
This is a Mr. Kennedy post.

1. Has his school (The Academy, with Molly Holly, Shawn Daivari, and others) produced anyone noteworthy?
2. How can he run a wrestling school? All he ever did was punch and kick.
3. He claimed he was fired from WWF because Orton and Cena complained about him being unsafe. I remember seeing him flail when in a fireman's carry, but was this really true, or was it more political?
4. I am hard pressed to think of someone with his mic skills and charisma who missed so badly. Does anyone else come close, or did he end up where he belonged?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I do kind of wonder what would have became of his Money in the Bank shot if he hadn't hurt himself and dropped it to Edge

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The 'Kennedy is unsafe' bit comes from (I think) Kennedy coming back from his shoulder injury and promptly messing up a belly-to-back suplex on Randy who complained to Vince and in front of the crew.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Red posted:

3. He claimed he was fired from WWF because Orton and Cena complained about him being unsafe. I remember seeing him flail when in a fireman's carry, but was this really true, or was it more political?
4. I am hard pressed to think of someone with his mic skills and charisma who missed so badly. Does anyone else come close, or did he end up where he belonged?

I feel like I heard that everyone hated that he "struggled" in moves, which I think is great but also I can see how I'd hate holding up a squiriming 250lb man.

I think of "Above Average" Mike Sanders in the "good mic/charisma, complete whiff" category. Cursed by the end of WCW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

This is a Mr. Kennedy post.

1. Has his school (The Academy, with Molly Holly, Shawn Daivari, and others) produced anyone noteworthy?
2. How can he run a wrestling school? All he ever did was punch and kick.

Air Wolf seems to be doing well on the indies and he graduated from there

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He's signed by AEW as half of Top Flight.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Air Wolf is actually Darius Martin, one half of AEW Top Flight. I don't know how much of their training was at the school but they've done well in AEW.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Kennedy was fired during the whole Vince McMahon/Stan Kronke arena fiasco. Vince, furious at having been "humiliated" by a bigger billionaire had to take his anger out on somebody. Kennedy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

Davros1 posted:

The piledriver through the table was one of the worst piledrivers I've ever seen. And not in a good way.

But in which bad way was it the worst?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lousy WCW booking aside, I don't recall being entertained by anything Mike Sanders did, least of all his promos.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Lousy WCW booking aside, I don't recall being entertained by anything Mike Sanders did, least of all his promos.

At the time he seemed really good on the mic but going back holy poo poo were his promos back. He was kind of funny in skits when he was around Nash but as a promo guy he was really bad. Not a good wrestler either!

Kennedy was not liked backstage. He got on people's nerves and the Orton thing as very much a last straw. It wasn't just Orton who wanted him gone. Kennedy had charisma, but at the time he never stood out to me as a very good promo, he was just good at doing one thing. He wasn't a good wrestler either, he was a fresh face that looked to have potential and never developed at all.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 4, 2021

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
I've possibly asked this before (or at least thought about it):

What are some of the best/most memorable kick-outs? And for a bonus, who are some of the best wrestlers at consistently getting you to bite on a pin-fall?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

jeff jarrett

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cm punk kicking out of the pepsi plunge at 1

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

At the time he seemed really good on the mic but going back holy poo poo were his promos back. He was kind of funny in skits when he was around Nash but as a promo guy he was really bad. Not a good wrestler either!

Kennedy was not liked backstage. He got on people's nerves and the Orton thing as very much a last straw. It wasn't just Orton who wanted him gone. Kennedy had charisma, but at the time he never stood out to me as a very good promo, he was just good at doing one thing. He wasn't a good wrestler either, he was a fresh face that looked to have potential and never developed at all.

There was also the situation where he denied using steroids, them promptly got named in the Signature Pharmacy bust

Probably didn't help

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Agreed. If anything, I remember him as a guy WCW shoved down my throat despite him being the least talented member of the Natural Born Thrillers. Apparently he is good buddies with Russo, which explains a lot.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

FakePoet posted:

I've possibly asked this before (or at least thought about it):

What are some of the best/most memorable kick-outs? And for a bonus, who are some of the best wrestlers at consistently getting you to bite on a pin-fall?

Kenny Omega angrily kicking out of the BTE trigger at 1 during the Revolution tag team championship match got an immense pop.

Shawn Michaels kicking out of the tombstone at the first Undertaker WrestleMania match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

You don't necessarily need to be the greatest wrestler of all time to own/run a school, especially if you're hiring people like Molly Holly as trainers. Kennedy, for all of his faults, got over on a microphone coming from the ceiling and saying his name twice. As much as he sucked in every place he went after his initial WWE run, he does/did have some natural charisma and has been around long enough to teach people how to do even non-wrestling things in the business.

I'm not a fan of the guy by any means but you can't really disqualify him from running a school because all he did was punch and kick. The guy who ran the school I went to was a punchy kicky guy too and much less known than Kennedy, but we still had guest trainers like Jerry Lynn come through and Ricky Starks popped in from time to time. You learn a lot from those situations and people, too, and now some of the students I trained with are popping up on AEW YouTube shows.

Picking a wrestling school feels a lot like getting your foot in the door so you can become part of the industry and then find other opportunities to learn along the way.