Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And bloat out Netflix and HBO slates with mediocre adaptations of anything he scribbled between 1975 and 1996.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

mind the walrus posted:

And bloat out Netflix and HBO slates with mediocre adaptations of anything he scribbled between 1975 and 1996.

Correct. He’s a boring loser.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

if you’re the kind of guy with his resume that’s pretty much the extent of things you think are fun. that and zoning disputes over building your own castle

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

But GRRM isn’t blowing off working to go have fun in a cool way. He’s blowing off working to be a creepy rear end in a top hat at conventions and edit Wild Cards.

just let me dream that hes on a jet ski doing jumps with babes

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
If his health declines to a potentially terminal state I'm fully expecting GRRM to announce that ASOIAF will be completed posthumously by a roster of regular Wild Cards contributors (with each writers taking on a different viewpoint character)

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Has anyone actually read Wild Cards?

I assume 99% of the sales are teenagers asking their mom for the next book by GRRM and getting Wild Cards. That's how I got it anyway.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I assume 99% of the sales are teenagers asking their mom for the next book by GRRM and getting Wild Cards. That's how I got it anyway.

Right after I had finished all the ASOIAF books I would read anything with GRRMs name on it. So I read Fevre Deam (good) The Armageddon Rag (also good) both short story collections (I think they were good? Can't remember much) and Tuf Voyaging (really good.) Then I read the latest Wildcards collection, which had some man in shiny armor on the cover so it kind of looked like a fantasy book. It was... I dunno, it was alright. It had a weird plot about a Caliphate taking over Egypt. It felt like a clumsy Marvel movie with lots of references to much cornier sounding heroes from an earlier age.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I read the first two or three. They were pretty hit or miss depending on the writer. Some of them I liked, some I hated. I got annoyed with the increasing spotlight on the ridiculous super-pimp character and stopped after that.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I've read a few Wild Cards stories in anthologies and I don't remember a single thing about any of them. Not good enough to stand out, not bad enough to stand out. They just kind of exist?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The original Wild Cards books were 80/90's books that predated the first GoT book.

The early ones were reissued post GoT blowing up big, and then there was a similarly timed soft reboot of the series to the then current day and then they've been churning them out since.

The real amusing thing.

They're 'Edited' by GRRM, with the 'help' of the co-editor Melinda Snodgrass, who I'm naturally assuming does all the actual work. GRRM just gets paid to put his name on the cover and MS's name just appears somewhere on the back in very small type.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I'm sorry Snodgrass.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ASoIaF: A Song of Ice and Fire: Sorry for Snodgrass

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

In other news new images dropped of the Targ prequel show and...

L E O P A R D S P O T S

is pretty much all I can think.

Ngl though this dude would make a killed Ged from Wizard of Earthsea:

The characters so far sound fine, if not a bit bland after seeing ASoIaF poo poo the bed so hard and the nature of prequels makes it inherently hard to invest the world until/unless we find out what the underlying theme is supposed to be to make sure care. That's not the show's fault though, that's just inherent to all prequels. Good prequels always have to grow into their own mediation on something to escape the shadow of their forebearers. Call me so jaded I'm actually almost optimistic this could, because being uncoupled from GRRM's wagon wheel of endless 4th down punts and knowing that the Valeryian Doom or w/e is definitely happening gives a more humble, outward structure from the outset.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'd like see a pre-Doom Valeryia show*. They're just Melnibonians under the thinnest new coat of paint, we could finally have the Michael Moorcock TV show I've always wanted.

*Which this isn't, it's explicitly The Dance of Dragons.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

It isn’t even pre-Doom so that we might see the Doom happen? That’s about the only reason I would have watched it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh wait it's literally just the Dance of Dragons? loving lame. Ok yeah I'm out. That'll teach me for trying to be optimistic. Literally the only thing that had me piqued was the whole "Magic Pompeii" vibes.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Considering how badly the show hosed up all the magical elements even before it became an unwatchable trashfire, I have no idea why any of you would have been optimistic for them handling High Valyria or honestly even the Dance of the Dragons.

Like remember what a wet fart and nonsense origin we got for the Others?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Considering how badly the show hosed up all the magical elements even before it became an unwatchable trashfire, I have no idea why any of you would have been optimistic for them handling High Valyria or honestly even the Dance of the Dragons.

Like remember what a wet fart and nonsense origin we got for the Others?

But this won't be run by the same people? So I would hope it would be better.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Not only am I just now remembering that Dance of the Dragons exists I am also remembering that I never finished reading it. I doubt I ever will.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

You know they’d try and paint Valyria as some kind of Atlantis hyper magitek society that got done dirty by the proles and that the world is worse off for it rather than the disturbing oppressive regime it’s been hinted at being. Like the targs are outcasts because they’re not brutal enough or something and then they end up dominating and entire continent.

But a huge corporation isn’t going to broach that kind of poo poo. At best we get falcon and winter soldier that makes racism a thing.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I don't want to see Valyria on TV because I prefer to keep it looking like the below in my imagination. I'm not interested in the mix of bare stone wall sets and basilicas they would turn it into in the "GOT" visual language.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

How do we know that the general audience gives a single poo poo about the Tagaryans and their stupid incest drama? They liked Kelly C, humble destitute white girl imprisoned by savages who sexes her way into influence over said savages and then because she’s some badass bumbles her way into then having an army of automatons then goes to anachronistically wage war based on 21st century values to bring freedom and stop oppression in the not-Middle East. She then becomes this feminist pop culture idol who everyone is now rooting for to win back the throne she’s allegedly entitled to.

This has nothing to do with Targaryen history or any backstory.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And HBO is gonna find that out the hard way.

Honestly it's a pity they didn't get this in the can the year before COVID, because that long drought for content would be the only thing I can picture doing the show a lot of marketing favors. They're climbing uphill.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Linda from Westeros.org (and coauthor of the world of ice and fire) is mad about black Corlys

https://twitter.com/hippoiathanatoi/status/1389986922005770240?s=21

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Could not be less surprised.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

mind the walrus posted:

In other news new images dropped of the Targ prequel show and...

L E O P A R D S P O T S

is pretty much all I can think.

Ngl though this dude would make a killed Ged from Wizard of Earthsea:

The characters so far sound fine, if not a bit bland after seeing ASoIaF poo poo the bed so hard and the nature of prequels makes it inherently hard to invest the world until/unless we find out what the underlying theme is supposed to be to make sure care. That's not the show's fault though, that's just inherent to all prequels. Good prequels always have to grow into their own mediation on something to escape the shadow of their forebearers. Call me so jaded I'm actually almost optimistic this could, because being uncoupled from GRRM's wagon wheel of endless 4th down punts and knowing that the Valeryian Doom or w/e is definitely happening gives a more humble, outward structure from the outset.

Are D&D involved with this or is the show being headed by people aren't incompetent failsons?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How do we know that the general audience gives a single poo poo about the Tagaryans and their stupid incest drama? They liked Kelly C, humble destitute white girl imprisoned by savages who sexes her way into influence over said savages and then because she’s some badass bumbles her way into then having an army of automatons then goes to anachronistically wage war based on 21st century values to bring freedom and stop oppression in the not-Middle East. She then becomes this feminist pop culture idol who everyone is now rooting for to win back the throne she’s allegedly entitled to.

This has nothing to do with Targaryen history or any backstory.

I will always love that there were people thinking GoT would end with Dany on the throne and ruling Westeros. People thought the series that "bucks the trend" and "subverts expectations" was totally going to have an literal children's storybook ending of the exiled princess regaining the throne.

The setting has something like 7000-10000 years of backstory and they could've literally had GRRM say "oh yeah between X and Y events that GoT mentioned, there was totally this big Z event and the show's going to cover this never before told story" and then they could've gotten good writers and just made A Game of Rome.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

D&D obviously never understood that Dany was supposed to be a flawed person from the very start and then when the hype for the show blew up and Dany became a pop culture favorite they went full on fan service with essentially always having her be the good guy. But then they had to make the ending that GRRM sort of told them so whoops, she turns into a genocidal maniac in one episode because they have no other ending.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are D&D involved with this or is the show being headed by people aren't incompetent failsons?

D&D aren't involved, so not failsons, but it's being run by Miguel Sapochnik, so your feelings on competency will depend on what you thought of the Battle of Winterfell and Daenerys burning King's Landing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bobby Digital posted:

Linda from Westeros.org (and coauthor of the world of ice and fire) is mad about black Corlys

:kstare:

"Valyrian drow" is some next-level epithet.

Lindsay Ellis was right-- Twitter rots your brain and turns you into a shitheel.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Mameluke posted:

Yeah I don't want to see Valyria on TV because I prefer to keep it looking like the below in my imagination. I'm not interested in the mix of bare stone wall sets and basilicas they would turn it into in the "GOT" visual language.

“Let’s for a quick swim in the molten river of fire!”

That does look pretty sweet and no tv show would ever do it justice.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

She just keeps doubling down in the replies and it’s sad

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TK-42-1 posted:

She just keeps doubling down in the replies and it’s sad
Blursed Twitter.

I'd say it's impressive GRRM never got suckered into it, but then again it would require him to regularly write.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
HBO could barely manage the budget for a show with 3 dragons. How loving bad is this poo poo gonna be when there's like loving 30 of em in a war fighting all the time?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TowerofOil posted:

HBO could barely manage the budget for a show with 3 dragons. How loving bad is this poo poo gonna be when there's like loving 30 of em in a war fighting all the time?

Shittier cgi.

Marvel and WB have proven people just don't give a poo poo anymore and will tolerate anything.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Well HBO has the advantage where since this is a new series the actors contracts are cheap. At least to start with. But if the show is a hit and those contracts balloon you’re gonna run into the same budgetary constraints as the later seasons of GoT.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Shittier cgi.

Marvel and WB have proven people just don't give a poo poo anymore and will tolerate anything.

Marvels CGI not only costs far more than anything HBO can afford but they have an industrialized process making it that saves money.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

People still make fun of this to this day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Marvels CGI not only costs far more than anything HBO can afford but they have an industrialized process making it that saves money.
Yeah it's honestly kind-of brilliant and you can see it literally as early as their first pictures where they started demo-testing Captain America's rigs on another character. Hate 'em for a lot of valid reasons, but their game really paid off. The set-ups they use in one movie easily passes on to at least 3-4 more. It's also why one of the reasons why the villains are "the main hero, but bad version" because it lets them recycle the same stuff.

TowerofOil posted:

It's gonna be like Picard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW2BYHfSJwk

CLONE STAMPS! CLONE STAMPS! CLONE STAMPS!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Why’d they make him look like Bill Paxton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Bobby Digital posted:

I remember hearing before that she was some kind of racist shithead. Anyone have any deals? And how/why did GRRM pick two randos to be his Christopher Tolkien?

To be fair, though, I dunno, it does seem like a bad casting. There can and should be more black characters, but making one of those cast members play a Valyrian seems like a mis-step for in-universe reasons where it makes no sense, and for out-of-universe reasons where I'm not sure having a black actor play one of the blood-purity-obssessed, imperialist conquerors is exactly the smartest move.

EDIT: Also am I the only one who always felt and kind of headcanon'd Melly Sanders being dark skinned? I always figured Asshai as kind of India by way of the Greek view of Persia.

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 7, 2021