Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

One more work session and then the poly can go on the greenhouse. I'll have plants in the ground by the end of Sunday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Jhet posted:

In about a week or two you'll want to hack off all those first bines as they'll be hollow and be both bad at production and be more of a resource drain than anything else.

Thanks for the tips! Been reading into this part and I guess they're bull shoots. Searching for that opened a whole new rabbit hole. Next year for sure I'm cutting down the first growth. For the first year though if they live I'm happy and if I get enough hops for one batch even better.

I think one plant has 2 bull shoots and the other zero. I'm debating either doing nothing or specifically trimming just the bull shoots. Is the growth rate and the spacing enough to reliably tell one from the other? Or just all first shoots are automatically hollow sadness.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

honda whisperer posted:

Thanks for the tips! Been reading into this part and I guess they're bull shoots. Searching for that opened a whole new rabbit hole. Next year for sure I'm cutting down the first growth. For the first year though if they live I'm happy and if I get enough hops for one batch even better.

I think one plant has 2 bull shoots and the other zero. I'm debating either doing nothing or specifically trimming just the bull shoots. Is the growth rate and the spacing enough to reliably tell one from the other? Or just all first shoots are automatically hollow sadness.

The first shoots are just hollow sadness. It’s part of the spring growth prior to the vegetative growth. More shoots will come and they’ll be good at growing and not be full of hollow sadness. Usually timing is good enough to tell, and then they push out new growth quickly enough that the sad part passes. The awesome part is that there’s so much better info available out there than even 5 years ago that it makes it super easy to figure out now.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

HIJK posted:

ladybug summoning circle GOOO

What? No just order them online.

No really, this is a thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m seeing some stuff that says “in the first year, don’t cut the bull bines”.

Bad advice?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I’m seeing some stuff that says “in the first year, don’t cut the bull bines”.

Bad advice?

That’s interesting, but not advice I’ve gotten from the growers. You don’t have to cut them of course, but they aren’t good at moving nutrients and take up resources the plant can use growing good fibery strong bines. Honestly, the first year doesn’t matter as much, but it’s good to get in the habit. First year you won’t get much, even from a C hop, but it’ll set up your plants for their regular growth pattern. Commercial fields don’t even put first year rhizomes into fields anymore, they start and move them as 2nd year plants.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

silicone thrills posted:

bunnies and slugs are absolute terrorists. I planted like 6 pepper plants and about 6 tomato plants and 2 cantaloupe and only 1 heirloom tomato plant is left standing now.

what the actual gently caress you fuckers.

its a bad spot to try to fence in and its literally the only high sun spot in my yard so i cant move it. mother fuckers.

I cannot conceive of a garden that isn't fenced in like Fort Knox.

Not a knock on you or anything, it's just that nothing (and I mean literally nothing) would survive in my garden without aggressive fencing. I have a four foot high rabbit fence. I've got a foot of fencing buried underground and angled outward. I've got six foot high deer fencing overlaid on the rabbit fence. I sow sacrificial plants everywhere to try to live in harmony with nature and keep those little fuckers away from the garden.

The rabbits I've mostly beaten, and I leave them some wild sown lettuce as a consolation. Deer? gently caress no. The fencing keeps them out for most of the season, but they'll start jumping that six-foot fence by the end of the season when pickings get slim. I bury the fence deeper every year, but somehow my very obese groundhog always finds his way in by the fall. He is adorable and I love animals and never want to hurt anything, but I will kill that fat fucker if I ever catch him.

edit- for actual useful advice, fence your individual plants. It doesn't sound like you're planting a ton, so buy some rabbit fencing, cut it into a short sections, and roll it around your plants just far enough away that rabbits can't squeeze their little rear end in a top hat snouts through the gaps and munch on things. Rabbits aren't as much of a threat to mature plants, so you can remove it later.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 7, 2021

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'll definitely give individual fencing a try. I'm in the city so deer aren't a big deal and most years by this time the coyotes have taken care of most of the rabbits but I'm still seeing a ton of them

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

I'll definitely give individual fencing a try. I'm in the city so deer aren't a big deal and most years by this time the coyotes have taken care of most of the rabbits but I'm still seeing a ton of them

I haven't seen rabbits in a month already, though I did have something digging the other night. It was digging really strange patterns and there was some burrowing next to the garage too. It left all of my plants alone and just made a general mess. Even dug a hole next to one of the peppers, but it was just a solitary hole. It was a night that it rained so I didn't see any good paw prints so maybe a mole from the tunneling above the concrete blocks that seem to be buried there? But some of the digging looked like a skunk foraging, so maybe I just happened to have both the same night.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

What? No just order them online.

No really, this is a thing.

I did this two years ago and I don't think I was totally prepared for what 1,000 lady bugs looked like?

Unleashed them in my community garden plot that had an aphid problem and as they started taking off like the flight of the valkyries I started to feel like a very conspicuous eco-terrorist of some kind. So about half of them got out and some colonized my plot and destroyed the aphids, and then the other half I took and threw in the woods. In hindsight it was probably fine but releasing 1,000 bugs feels wrong somehow.

e: Just checked and it was 1,500. They ship from Amazon!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There are potential issues with releasing ladybugs, but it's probably not worth worrying about. From what I remember, some of them are not harvested sustainably, and there's the risk of releasing a non-native species for your area.

Probably no worse than using peat moss or insecticide though, and those are ubiquitous.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Will the ladybugs eat the rabbits?

Need more chicken wire.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

FogHelmut posted:

Will the ladybugs eat the rabbits?

Need more chicken wire.

Jealous you caught a critter on camera. I set up a Wyze camera on my back porch pointed at my garden and I've watched deer walk through my yard and my camera just doesn't see it so it doesn't flag them. Going to stick a remote one straight on one of my garden's 4x4s this weekend.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

Jealous you caught a critter on camera. I set up a Wyze camera on my back porch pointed at my garden and I've watched deer walk through my yard and my camera just doesn't see it so it doesn't flag them. Going to stick a remote one straight on one of my garden's 4x4s this weekend.

That gate is the only spot not blocked by chicken wire. It's being funneled right to the camera.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Chad Sexington posted:

I did this two years ago and I don't think I was totally prepared for what 1,000 lady bugs looked like?

Unleashed them in my community garden plot that had an aphid problem and as they started taking off like the flight of the valkyries I started to feel like a very conspicuous eco-terrorist of some kind. So about half of them got out and some colonized my plot and destroyed the aphids, and then the other half I took and threw in the woods. In hindsight it was probably fine but releasing 1,000 bugs feels wrong somehow.

e: Just checked and it was 1,500. They ship from Amazon!

Speaking of things that are probably fine but feel vaguely like eco terrorism, my dad once mentioned that his HOA was giving people grief about weeds and my response was, "Did you know you can buy bulk dandelion seeds on Amazon?"

If I had a pissy HOA, I'd be buying that and a drone.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

Speaking of things that are probably fine but feel vaguely like eco terrorism, my dad once mentioned that his HOA was giving people grief about weeds and my response was, "Did you know you can buy bulk dandelion seeds on Amazon?"

there's a movement in the UK to fight prohibition by feeding pot seeds to birds so they'll disperse them, since the seeds are legal

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

there's a movement in the UK to fight prohibition by feeding pot seeds to birds so they'll disperse them, since the seeds are legal

And there should be. Random pollination isn't good for weed. There's a reason why people grow indoors.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

poeticoddity posted:

I'd just fill my garden with milkweeds. Milkweeds are dope.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Anyone have a favorite spray for knocking back downy mildew? I have shrubs that need help and I’m broadening my asking net. Supposedly need a copper based thing, but I’m not finding any good info that isn’t just parroted info from blogs. The fungicide I have isn’t copper based and isn’t working, so I figured I’d ask before spending money on something else.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I like the copper based formula from Bonide. I also use their BT, as a general brand endorsement.

Edit: Preemptive treatment is also effective. Leaving good spacing made a big difference for me with squashes, when they stayed crowded it seemed like powdery mildew was almost inevitable.

mischief fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 9, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

I like the copper based formula from Bonide. I also use their BT, as a general brand endorsement.

Edit: Preemptive treatment is also effective. Leaving good spacing made a big difference for me with squashes, when they stayed crowded it seemed like powdery mildew was almost inevitable.

They're old shrubs that I didn't plant and are not poorly spaced at least. I'm not really sure how they managed to live this long to get so large unless the previous owners had been treating yearly. The state of the garden didn't strike me as people who'd do that, but they're old enough shrubs that it was probably the people before them too. I'll give a look for the copper Bonide. I've used their BT and watched the caterpillars explode off my hop leaves in the past.

ickna
May 19, 2004

What can I plant on my N-NW facing back patio? It gets about 1-2 hrs of direct sun in the AM and again just before dusk, and is otherwise shaded by the building. Not a whole lot of overhead sky light either since it backs up into some pretty mature trees too. Ideally I would like something edible but would settle for an ornamental other than foxgloves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Blackberry and raspberry come to mind as fruit‐bearing plants that have no issue with shade.

These plants naturally form brambles, and you can either deal with that, regularly training and pruning them to do as you want, or you can get something that’s been bred to have a tamer growth habit. For blackberries, the only dwarf, thornless cultivar I know of is “Baby Cakes” (“Opal” in the U.K.). I bought one this year. So far so good, but I can’t comment on flavor or long‐term performance.

For raspberries. There’s Raspberry Shortcake (“Ruby Beauty” in the U.K.) that’s marketed by the same people as Baby Cakes, with the same dwarf, thornless, container‐suitable characteristics. A friend has a Raspberry Shortake plant. It has an interesting growth habit, and I may or may not have been interested enough to ask for a cutting from it. That said, she has a “conventional” raspberry cultivar right next to, in a pot of the same size, started at the same time. That one yields more and hasn’t been trouble to control.

quote:

Thornless raspberry varieties include:

• Canby
  • Glencoe
  • Itsaul
  • Joan J
  • Mammoth Red

Nearly thornless raspberry varieties include:

• Cascade Delight
  • Encore
  • Latham
  • Nova
  • Polka

Gooseberries are another option. I have a Hinnomaki gooseberry. I chose it because I ate the fruit off it at the nursery and liked it, but while the bush itself has grown in the shade, it didn’t fruit for me last year, so buyer beware.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A warning about blackberries in containers: the roots can go through the drain holes and establish plants outside of the container.

Trust me on that one.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Does anyone have recommendations on a garden planning tool/software, or a strategy to track plants and work? Our largeish front garden will probably be a muti-year effort (especially due to baby/toddler time constraints) and I’d like to keep things organized.

We’re aiming for a full sun pollinator/flower garden with maybe a couple lowbush blueberry plants. I’ve made some progress over the past couple of years, but we’re getting into larger shrub and filler territory and don’t want to waste money/time.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shifty Pony posted:

A warning about blackberries in containers: the roots can go through the drain holes and establish plants outside of the container.

Trust me on that one.

They also root anywhere a cane touches the ground, and their seeds take readily.

guri
Jun 14, 2001
Well this was the first year my paw paw tree flowered and I wasn't expecting anything beyond that but it looks like at least three of the flowers were pollinated successfully without any extra help from me. I have three of these little fruit bunches coming in.

Also not my own garden but the area where my work is (the entire area where I live, really) is full of tangerine farms. The trees are all flowering right now and everything smells amazing.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

SpannerX posted:

And there should be. Random pollination isn't good for weed. There's a reason why people grow indoors.

It's not really so you can smoke the weed you find in the countryside so much as that it renders eradication impossible and makes it super easy for anyone to get their hands on seeds which are at least recently descended from good genetics

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
So not sure what happened but something (dog or squirrel) dug in my raised bed and knocked over a cage around my purple cherokee tomato plant. It knocked off the top 8 inches or so of the plant.

I am new to veggie gardening and have a couple questions. Will I have any success propagating the top that got knocked off? Will the plant recover, and if so is there anything I should do to help it? The top had the only forming flower, which makes me sad :(

Also having some lower branches on a sakura tomato plant turning yellow. We had a lot of rain and I'm not sure if this is just over-watering or what - they still feel healthy, they're just much lighter in color than the rest of the plant. Same plant IS producing a teeny tiny tomato though, which I am just ecstatic about. Anything I need to do here?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skylined! posted:

I am new to veggie gardening and have a couple questions. Will I have any success propagating the top that got knocked off? Will the plant recover, and if so is there anything I should do to help it? The top had the only forming flower, which makes me sad :(

The plant will be absolutely fine.....no worries.

As far as propagating the top that broke off.....maybe? If you can find some rooting hormone powder you could try it in soil. Just keep it in a nice warm sunny spot and keep the soil wet for a week/10 days. You could also do this in a jar of water for the same length of time. You should see little white roots starting in a few days. After a week or so you can put it back in soil and keep it watered for another week or so and then it should be fine.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Motronic posted:

The plant will be absolutely fine.....no worries.

As far as propagating the top that broke off.....maybe? If you can find some rooting hormone powder you could try it in soil. Just keep it in a nice warm sunny spot and keep the soil wet for a week/10 days. You could also do this in a jar of water for the same length of time. You should see little white roots starting in a few days. After a week or so you can put it back in soil and keep it watered for another week or so and then it should be fine.

Thanks. I’ve got experience propagating houseplants and have rooting hormone. I have the stem in water now for the time being, I’ll try hormone and soil!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

skylined! posted:

Thanks. I’ve got experience propagating houseplants and have rooting hormone. I have the stem in water now for the time being, I’ll try hormone and soil!

Oh, then you've got this. Tomatoes are probably one of the the EASIEST thing to propagate this way.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

skylined! posted:

So not sure what happened but something (dog or squirrel) dug in my raised bed and knocked over a cage around my purple cherokee tomato plant. It knocked off the top 8 inches or so of the plant.

I am new to veggie gardening and have a couple questions. Will I have any success propagating the top that got knocked off? Will the plant recover, and if so is there anything I should

Plant will be fine. It'll probably even bush out more and might make more fruit-your furry friend might have done you a favor! Tomatoes root pretty readily in water, so just snip the broken end off, maybe strip the bottom 6" of leaves, and stick it in a big glass of water in a bright but not directly sunny spot in the house.

E:fb

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

BadSamaritan posted:

Does anyone have recommendations on a garden planning tool/software, or a strategy to track plants and work? Our largeish front garden will probably be a muti-year effort (especially due to baby/toddler time constraints) and I’d like to keep things organized.

We’re aiming for a full sun pollinator/flower garden with maybe a couple lowbush blueberry plants. I’ve made some progress over the past couple of years, but we’re getting into larger shrub and filler territory and don’t want to waste money/time.

I have yet to find any tools that are really useful for planning a garden though I've looked. Certainly nothing that seems like it would help with anything on the level of precision of tracking individual plants. I did find it useful to pull up a copy of my lot from the master deed and take hourly pictures of all of the parts of the yard one day last year so that I could turn it into a sort of sun map.

If you're going super formal you probably have to go all in on mapping everything out, but for a pollinator garden on a physical level you probably don't need to plan too much beyond knowing approximately where you want shrubs and where you want perennials and so on.

Personally I keep track of plants with a spreadsheet organized by garden bed and by (semi-arbitrary) plant type but I recognize that I like spreadsheets more than is healthy or normal and most people do not—I'm sure you could get most of the way there with a plain old list. I usually find it harder to keep track of the plants I've ordered than the ones in the ground so I enter everything into the sheet when I order it and just leave it without a planting date until it's in the ground.

This year I've been going through and adding labels to match up the actual plants with the sheet which has been less fun than it would have been if I had started from the start. If you're going to go that route extra fine Deco Color paint pens hold up a lot better on plastic labels than sharpie does and you can get them for a couple of bucks on Amazon.

I don't know if any of that answers any of your questions but :shrug:.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Trust me on that one.
Blackberries give me PTSD. Everywhere the berries drop, a new seedling can sprout. Then can spread underground through runners. If a branch touches the ground it can root, you can have a single vine with multiple connections to the earth. They have a woody exterior that is resistant to every type of herbicide. If you don't remove the root system they will grow back. They will grow in whatever soil they can find, full sun, shade, moist, dry, they don't care.

Our backyard was covered in them, 6ft high, 10-20 feet thick, and DENSE. It took an entire summer of 3 people working hard to clear them out, and they destroy any kind of lawnmower or weed-whacker you throw at them. We got them cleared out and pushed back tot he neighbors fence line. We spent the next year watching the yard like a hawk and killing every new sprout, finally getting the yard free of them. The neighbor still had theirs, and within a year span they had all grown right back, 6ft high 10-20ft thick.

If you want one, be careful.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

eSporks posted:

Blackberries give me PTSD. Everywhere the berries drop, a new seedling can sprout. Then can spread underground through runners. If a branch touches the ground it can root, you can have a single vine with multiple connections to the earth. They have a woody exterior that is resistant to every type of herbicide. If you don't remove the root system they will grow back. They will grow in whatever soil they can find, full sun, shade, moist, dry, they don't care.

Our backyard was covered in them, 6ft high, 10-20 feet thick, and DENSE. It took an entire summer of 3 people working hard to clear them out, and they destroy any kind of lawnmower or weed-whacker you throw at them. We got them cleared out and pushed back tot he neighbors fence line. We spent the next year watching the yard like a hawk and killing every new sprout, finally getting the yard free of them. The neighbor still had theirs, and within a year span they had all grown right back, 6ft high 10-20ft thick.

If you want one, be careful.

If you’re still in the fight, look up your county invasive weed board or whatever they call it in your area. They’ll have resources to help you eradicate these sorts of things.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm sad that the man who cross bred Himalayan blackberries and brought them here is dead because it means I can't find him and torture him by throwing him into the giant patches of them.

I like to imagine if there's a hell that's what is happening to him

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

I'm sad that the man who cross bred Himalayan blackberries and brought them here is dead because it means I can't find him and torture him by throwing him into the giant patches of them.

I like to imagine if there's a hell that's what is happening to him

Are those the giant thick cane ones? Because I discovered that there are giant canes hiding under leaf litter behind the garage and am not looking forward to figuring out what they are. The piece they left hiding is a cane the diameter of my thumb too.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jhet posted:

Are those the giant thick cane ones? Because I discovered that there are giant canes hiding under leaf litter behind the garage and am not looking forward to figuring out what they are. The piece they left hiding is a cane the diameter of my thumb too.

Yeah the canes that get to like an inch thick and become massive nightmare walls. They also have much larger darker leaves than the native berries in my experience.

Native berries vine or grow much slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah the canes that get to like an inch thick and become massive nightmare walls. They also have much larger darker leaves than the native berries in my experience.

Native berries vine or grow much slower.

Well that blows. I'm going to see how much of it I can dig out, but it's full of broken bricks and presumably the detritus of 100 years of people just throwing poo poo between it and the neighbor's fence.

I wanted to grow mushrooms back in there.