Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
That uppercut def shattered his orbital yeah. Canelo's unstoppable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rip to bjs’ eye, that poo poo got wrecked

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
First Dubois, now Saunders. R.I.P. British eye sockets.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

yeah i'd say his orbital is gone if they stopped the fight.

On broadcast they confirmed a broken orbital.

drat I wished it wasn’t like that. It was a fun fight

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

lol

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Okay you got a good chuckle from me lmao

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Bad luck for Saunders. That was a close, competitive fight (I had it 77-75 Canelo), and Saunders looked to be coming on until he got caught with that shot. Canelo has developed almost freakish power at this point in his career though. That really is a differentiator for him now. He can use it to bully opponents and break them down, or just end the fight with a single punch. That, combined with his elite technical skill, make him very hard to beat.

Bring on Canelo/Plant. Plant is a similar fighter to Saunders, and I think Plant can use this fight as a blueprint for his own success. I don't expect him to win, but he's a very live dog.

Saunders gave a good accounting of himself. He didn't quit; broken orbital bones are serious injuries that end fights. Hopefully he can recover, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Caleb Plant himself, or David Benavidez, or even a rematch with Chris Eubank Jr.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I’d certainly like to see him recover enough to eat more finishing moves like that one, anyway.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Declan MacManus posted:

rip to bjs’ eye, that poo poo got wrecked

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Canelo wins and puts BJS in the hospital, I'll take it

LLCoolJD posted:

First Dubois, now Saunders. R.I.P. British eye sockets.

don't forget Kell Brook

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Bad luck for Saunders. That was a close, competitive fight (I had it 77-75 Canelo), and Saunders looked to be coming on until he got caught with that shot. Canelo has developed almost freakish power at this point in his career though. That really is a differentiator for him now. He can use it to bully opponents and break them down, or just end the fight with a single punch. That, combined with his elite technical skill, make him very hard to beat.

Bring on Canelo/Plant. Plant is a similar fighter to Saunders, and I think Plant can use this fight as a blueprint for his own success. I don't expect him to win, but he's a very live dog.

Saunders gave a good accounting of himself. He didn't quit; broken orbital bones are serious injuries that end fights. Hopefully he can recover, I wouldn't mind seeing him fight Caleb Plant himself, or David Benavidez, or even a rematch with Chris Eubank Jr.

Yeah I had it about the same. IDK what the gently caress fight the commentary team was watching where they had BJS ahead. It seems like if a round went 60/40 in favour of Canelo they were like "wow BJS looks loving amazing!!!" and gave him the round on the cards as if "not dying when Canelo clobbers him" is a scoring criteria.

This is actually one of the (many) reasons that boxing judging is hosed up and so many decisions seem brutal - you have these commentary teams putting up lovely score cards and then the judges come up with something different and the audience who relies on those broadcast scorecards gets upset.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Yeah I had it about the same. IDK what the gently caress fight the commentary team was watching where they had BJS ahead. It seems like if a round went 60/40 in favour of Canelo they were like "wow BJS looks loving amazing!!!" and gave him the round on the cards as if "not dying when Canelo clobbers him" is a scoring criteria.

This is actually one of the (many) reasons that boxing judging is hosed up and so many decisions seem brutal - you have these commentary teams putting up lovely score cards and then the judges come up with something different and the audience who relies on those broadcast scorecards gets upset.

I got a good laugh at the commentary team going on about how the momentum was shifting and how great BJS was doing until Canelo knocked him out and then they immediately shifted into how Canelo was in control the whole time.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yeah the announcing for BJS was pretty weird. He definitely was in the fight, and won 2 or 3 rounds, but the way they were describing his basic participation as an insurmountable momentum shift was pretty weird. At least the judges had pretty reasonable cards.

The commentators were right about that Conway/cissokho fight tho, one of the judges was watching an entirely different fight.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

I watched the end of the Soto-Takayama fight and the stoppage didn't seem that crazy to me. He was walking forward but wasn't swinging or really defending himself at all. Maybe it seemed a worse stoppage in the context of the overall fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Canelo marging it

https://twitter.com/ESPNImages/status/1391255464571252736

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Goddamn, I love Canelo Alverez. He knew he broke BJS's face with that punch.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/1391425601404293120?s=20

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

apparently that’s a career-threatening injury, so if that’s the last fight of bjs’ career, it’s a pretty high note to end on

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I’m not a big Canelo fan but I am a big Canelo breaking BJS’s face fan.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

not too familiar with romantic sadboy reggaeton or whatever that was

https://youtu.be/unCNMl69CQM

It’s this, and it’s as horrendous as it sounded.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

My god.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

boop the snoot posted:

I’m not a big Canelo fan but I am a big Canelo breaking BJS’s face fan.

It's hard to be a fan of most boxers depending on where we set the bar. Canelo has had issues, and by issues, I mean domestic abuse, violence, erratic behavior, etc. Never meet your heroes and so forth.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Mike Tyson raped a woman and bit the ear off his opponent in the ring. It's amazing how we redeem those we look up to in sport.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Mike Tyson raped a woman...

One conviction.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

LLCoolJD posted:

One conviction.

Fair, and to the point.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Kaddish posted:

It's hard to be a fan of most boxers depending on where we set the bar. Canelo has had issues, and by issues, I mean domestic abuse, violence, erratic behavior, etc. Never meet your heroes and so forth.

Source on Canelo's domestic abuse issues? I tried googling it and couldn't find anything.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean there's all sorts of half credible dirt you can dig up on Canelo, the guy he allegedly assaulted, the boxer he killed in sparring, etc

Jump King fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 10, 2021

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Jump King posted:

I mean there's all sorts of half credible dirt you can dig up on Canelo, the guy he allegedly assaulted, the boxer he killed in sparring, etc

I know you said half-credible but the article about killing his sparring partner has multiple quotes from the dead guy's family saying Alvarez had nothing to do with the death and that it was due to natural causes.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

College Rockout posted:

Source on Canelo's domestic abuse issues? I tried googling it and couldn't find anything.

I should do more research before I bandy about accusations. I could have sworn I read something years ago about domestic stuff but I was clearly wrong!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Jump King posted:

yeah, boxing’s a violent sport and it attracts violent people

not an excuse, but compared to the real monsters in this sport canelo’s stuff hardly moves the needle.

plus, based on what came out later, it seems like solis hosed around and found out and tried to press charges when he couldn’t defend his title because he got tuned up as opposed to anything really criminal

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Freudian slippers posted:

I know you said half-credible but the article about killing his sparring partner has multiple quotes from the dead guy's family saying Alvarez had nothing to do with the death and that it was due to natural causes.

There’s other sources that say different, but they’re dubious at best, yeah

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

yeah, boxing’s a violent sport and it attracts violent people

not an excuse, but compared to the real monsters in this sport canelo’s stuff hardly moves the needle.

plus, based on what came out later, it seems like solis hosed around and found out and tried to press charges when he couldn’t defend his title because he got tuned up as opposed to anything really criminal

It’s true, you hear bits and pieces of stuff about Canelo but for some reason nothing seems to stick and it’s always hard to find more info.

Unrelated, here’s some pics of him hanging with the president and also some narco affiliated dudes:

https://twitter.com/epn/status/329079351758954496?s=21

(E: despite what I’m obviously implying there’s no conclusive links to corruption or cartels with Canelo, but he’s definitely “too big to fail” if nothing else)

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 10, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I ain't saying "no" to the cartels!

I'm still waiting for a Wilder fight announcement. Come on, dude.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Wilder can't announce a fight until Fury and Joshua do, he's waiting to step in if that one falls apart.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Fury looks like he's been sparring so I assume he's just seeing if he can squeeze out a few quid before signing. Another Wilder fight isn't going to generate anywhere near the mega-fight money this Joshua fight would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
And there goes any reason to watch Mayweather-Paul

https://twitter.com/MichaelBensonn/status/1391773437505515525?s=19