Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

xcheopis posted:

It would be nice if they rewarded the responsible people who got their vaccines, though.

My reward is getting to hug my mom and dad. Although yeah I will definitely take a donut, too.

Also don't forget that a portion of the US still believes the vaccine is a way to chip you for tracking and, I dunno, herding into camps or something? I've seen people unironically say "If the vaccine worked they wouldn't NEED to tell you to get it, you'd just want to get it" despite them not wanting to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

My reward is getting to hug my mom and dad. Although yeah I will definitely take a donut, too.

Also don't forget that a portion of the US still believes the vaccine is a way to chip you for tracking and, I dunno, herding into camps or something? I've seen people unironically say "If the vaccine worked they wouldn't NEED to tell you to get it, you'd just want to get it" despite them not wanting to get it.

I want a doughnut and maybe free weed if it's an edible of some kind. It's just annoying that the stupid people get treats and the responsible ones get a pat on the head.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fallom posted:

Yeah bad Americans whatever. Why do we have to keep relearning lessons on what motivates huge chunks of our population? Should’ve set up a partnership with Coca Cola and Valvoline in the first place instead of wasting a ton of time appealing to a mental organ that doesn’t exist in half the people.

The Trump administration actually went in the opposite direction and used the pandemic as an excuse to confiscate PPE shipments from the states in order to push corporate funding via backroom deals LOL

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Where is my donut NHS? :argh:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

I self-treated myself a massive box of Lebanese on 30% off on Uber Eats after my second AZ.

"Note: This kebab box serves 2"

We'll see about that babes :smuggo:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
double post drat walmart connection

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Just got my second shot!! We can do this people.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/guardiannews/status/1392420249547558912

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

More like hindsight is 2021.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Like a chump, I got vaccinated WITHOUT getting a free burg or an ll bean gift card

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Oh, word?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Sjs00 posted:

Just got my second shot!! We can do this people.

congrats my dude.

I still haven't gone and gotten my donut and I should. I would like a donut :shobon:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I get to sit on the supertram for an hour on the way back, which is actually really awesome because they run every 10 minutes and are so established that companies are building stuff directly next to the platforms now, supermarkets, cinemas, libraries, IKEA and so on - and tiny local stores right out the 70s which don’t exist anywhere else anymore are thriving just because they hit the location lottery.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well I haven't had even my first jab yet and what's more I don't know when I will and there's nothing you can do to hurry me along. :smug:

Because I'm in Australia and under 50 years old so I couldn't even get a vaccine even if I wanted to, and there's no official word on when I might be able to get it

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

A Fancy Hat posted:

Some big portion of people who don't want to get vaxxed now are the ones who never changed their lives to begin with, so they've been hugging their parents the entire time.

Those people don't have a carrot motivating them to get vaccinated now because those parents are now dead.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

congrats my dude.

I still haven't gone and gotten my donut and I should. I would like a donut :shobon:

I am celebrating with some huge home made 5 layer burritos 🌯

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

yook posted:

Some big portion of people who don't want to get vaxxed now are the ones who never changed their lives to begin with, so they've been hugging their parents the entire time.

Those people don't have a carrot motivating them to get vaccinated now because those parents are now dead.

One dude I know has continued on with his life as normal and somehow got through multiple family members and friends getting and co-workers and acquaintances getting covid without getting infected. He just... Mr. Magoos his way around viral plumes or something.

I'm starting to think he might be too stupid to actually be infected. The virus just can't recognize him as a suitable breeding ground.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
arm is starting to get heavy and numb here 2 1/2 hours later.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i've got infraclavicular lymph node swelling on the side i got both my shots. seems it's a known side effect: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7994368/

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Galewolf posted:

I self-treated myself a massive box of Lebanese on 30% off on Uber Eats after my second AZ.

"Note: This kebab box serves 2"

We'll see about that babes :smuggo:

that "halal snack box" that is just a pound of chips and a pound of kebab meat drizzled with hydrogenated goo hell yeah

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cthulu Carl posted:

One dude I know has continued on with his life as normal and somehow got through multiple family members and friends getting and co-workers and acquaintances getting covid without getting infected. He just... Mr. Magoos his way around viral plumes or something.

I'm starting to think he might be too stupid to actually be infected. The virus just can't recognize him as a suitable breeding ground.

he's probably been infected (possibly multiple times) and he's just one of those asymptomatic people.

or the virus, like you said, decided he was too dumb to worry about infecting.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

that "halal snack box" that is just a pound of chips and a pound of kebab meat drizzled with hydrogenated goo hell yeah

Oh, this was more akin to a mixed grill. It had lamb shish, taouk shish, truckloads of chicken and lamb shawarma, kofta and mountain or rice.

It clocks at 30 quid but by lord it felt amazing after the vaccine because I have a very severe (?) needle phobia (like, I faint / blackout almost everytime I get vaccinated or my blood drawn) so my ex-gf was, bless her, holding my hand like an actual puppy and "it's okay, it will be okay soon" and petting it. I felt quite light headed afterwards even though I felt absolutely nothing and thought that the nurse is messing with me when she said it's done.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

*Suddenly containment compliance increases*

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
oh yeah arms in pain now. The software updates must be extensive

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

well yesterday was patch tuesday. Apply pressure to the vagus to temporarily disable your primary 5G cluster.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Sjs00 posted:

oh yeah arms in pain now. The software updates must be extensive

The one silver lining to having nerve damage in my arm is a large patch of numb to get shots put in, didn't feel a thing! :smuggo:

I can mentally envision a list of towers but have to wait for shot 2 before the connect button is no longer greyed out

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

nishi koichi posted:

i've got infraclavicular lymph node swelling on the side i got both my shots. seems it's a known side effect: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7994368/

Yup! Myself and another therapist had them for about 7 to 8 days. Feels weird.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

I don't necessarily think the conclusion is wrong, but I don't think throwing more money at the WHO is the answer to preventing future pandemics.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like the only way to prevent this would've been an abrupt and complete lockdown of the original infected area, and of course that would only work with dictatorial powers AND the ability to identify the new virus quickly. Literally setting up a cordon and no one inside can leave or even get close to the cordon. That area would then need to continue to be locked down indefinitely until the virus has nowhere to spread to and dies out, or a vaccine was developed.

And of course if any virus escaped, wherever it escaped to would need to be locked down completely, and so on and so on. Difficult thing to do when people are moving around the globe 24/7.

A legitimate criticism of China is that they acted way too late. They wanted to ignore the problem and hope it wouldn't be a big deal. Eventually they had lockdowns over the whole country, when at the very start they could've locked down a single area totally and completely and saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mierenneuker posted:

More like hindsight is 2021.

:discourse:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Play posted:

I feel like the only way to prevent this would've been an abrupt and complete lockdown of the original infected area, and of course that would only work with dictatorial powers AND the ability to identify the new virus quickly. Literally setting up a cordon and no one inside can leave or even get close to the cordon. That area would then need to continue to be locked down indefinitely until the virus has nowhere to spread to and dies out, or a vaccine was developed.

Chances are a slow killer like covid is going to get out of the original area before authorities know what they have on their hands. Once it hits the first international airport you can't assume any international travel is safe. The 2 week mandatory supervised quarantine for all incoming travelers (citizens or not) seemed really good for the countries that made it work. Wherever there is an outbreak you do local lockdowns until you reach zero, not just until numbers are low enough to not overwhelm hospitals.

2 months of hard lockdowns to reach covid zero and then you get to have nearly everything normal except tourism. It's a good deal.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

If we have learned anything it is that not in the US it isn't

Ever

We are hosed here

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Yes the covid pandemic was preventable why is that headline news gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress
its got an image of thermometers and face mask procedures like its some seriously well guarded secret techniques its not

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
new design just dropped

https://thehotbuttonissue.com/product/vaxxedandready/

please buy some buttons so i can afford a camera to take better pictures than this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Ohio has announced their new program to encourage vaccination. For 5 weeks, they will hold a million dollar lottery which will be drawn from the pool of vaccinated individuals in the state. I wonder if that will cause numbers to tick up again.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

empty whippet box posted:

new design just dropped

please buy some buttons so i can afford a camera to take better pictures than this.

Sorry, I only buy novelty pogs

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

Ohio has announced their new program to encourage vaccination. For 5 weeks, they will hold a million dollar lottery which will be drawn from the pool of vaccinated individuals in the state. I wonder if that will cause numbers to tick up again.

The money is coming from their unused federal covid money too, which means there are more than 5 million dollars just kind of floating around for covid stuff that they can't find a "better" use for. lmao.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

new design just dropped

Pretty rad but not sure my girlfriend or my boss would approve

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

new design just dropped

If these were in sticker form I'd grab a few and slap them all over my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Play posted:

Pretty rad but not sure my girlfriend or my boss would approve

why are you dating and working for anti-vaxxers? :confused: