Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
counterpoint: blackberries are delicious, best of all berries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a blackberry somewhat confined (for now) to one spot along my fence. I keeps sending runners into my other section of landscaping, which I immediately cull.

However, one has randomly sprouted along a far fence on the other end of the yard. The neighbor there has this whole area of their yard covered in english ivy, which covers the chain link fence, and I am in a constant war with to prevent encroachment on my property. I haven't killed this blackberry because I am interested to see it battle the ivy.

The thorns though, they're sharper and more powerful than many of my cactuses.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I planted some of the upright blackberries with native american tribe names '('arapaho' and another one) and they did great for a few years and made tooooons of huge delicious berries. They weren't really that invasive or aggressive, but I got tired of loving around with bird netting and so I dug them up. Three. Years. In. A. Row.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I planted some of the upright blackberries with native american tribe names '('arapaho' and another one) and they did great for a few years and made tooooons of huge delicious berries. They weren't really that invasive or aggressive, but I got tired of loving around with bird netting and so I dug them up. Three. Years. In. A. Row.

:/

I'm also dealing with an ivy problem in 3 different places, so I'll have to dig out the Himalayan blackberries this week before they get much bigger. And hornets and wasps, who have both tried building nests under my eaves. And, and, and... New gardens are a ton of work. But new to you old gardens can be so much more.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jhet posted:

:/

I'm also dealing with an ivy problem in 3 different places, so I'll have to dig out the Himalayan blackberries this week before they get much bigger. And hornets and wasps, who have both tried building nests under my eaves. And, and, and... New gardens are a ton of work. But new to you old gardens can be so much more.
I eventually got tired of digging them up every spring and just sprayed the new growth with fairly strong glyphosate and that finally ended my zombie blackberries. If you mix some dish soap into your glyphosate mix it really helps on waxy leaved stuff like ivy or monkey grass, but you may still need to hit it a few times several weeks apart and probably one last time next spring.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

silicone thrills posted:

Yeah the canes that get to like an inch thick and become massive nightmare walls. They also have much larger darker leaves than the native berries in my experience.

Native berries vine or grow much slower.
These sound like the ones I had to war with. Maybe other breeds are more manageable, but I won't go near them because of that experience.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I had fully intended to take a year off the garden, between the deer flies and the weeds and just general exhaustion from previous years. I put a pallet of cardboard over most of the garden last year in a vain attempt to keep the weeds down. It didn't work, really just made a big tacky mess. At this point I'm just over it.

I went to my mother in law's house for lunch on mother's day and she told me to go check out their garden - they had started 40+ tomatoes and ran out of room for them. I came home with ten huge tomatoes, two gingko trees, a peach tree, and some other fruit tree I don't remember.

Dammit Grandma.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I slapped a bunch of asparagus crowns that wouldn't fit in my raised bed along our property line and they're actually putting up shoots to my surprise. Not like... edible sized shoots, mind, but I'm pretty pleased considering it was a hail mary to see if they'd even live in crap soil and mostly uncared for.

The in-bed asparagus are faring better, but I'm still in the phase where I'm continuously burying them in compost every time they poke through.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Chad Sexington posted:

I slapped a bunch of asparagus crowns that wouldn't fit in my raised bed along our property line and they're actually putting up shoots to my surprise. Not like... edible sized shoots, mind, but I'm pretty pleased considering it was a hail mary to see if they'd even live in crap soil and mostly uncared for.

The in-bed asparagus are faring better, but I'm still in the phase where I'm continuously burying them in compost every time they poke through.

My grandparents had a mostly untended asparagus bed that would go gangbusters every year with minimal care. By August it would be grown over and full of weeds, and still asparagus! The only thing they did was dump leaves there in the autumn from the lawn tractor. So if you have extra leaves, that asparagus will keep hanging out every year until you dig it out.

My parents put some in as a border plant too, and my mom interplants with flowers. It takes a year or two and then you'll get tons of asparagus and will either eat/freeze a ton or give as much away as you keep.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

mischief posted:

I had fully intended to take a year off the garden, between the deer flies and the weeds and just general exhaustion from previous years. I put a pallet of cardboard over most of the garden last year in a vain attempt to keep the weeds down. It didn't work, really just made a big tacky mess. At this point I'm just over it.

I went to my mother in law's house for lunch on mother's day and she told me to go check out their garden - they had started 40+ tomatoes and ran out of room for them. I came home with ten huge tomatoes, two gingko trees, a peach tree, and some other fruit tree I don't remember.

Dammit Grandma.

Very jealous of your cool rear end mother in law. Mine is only into annuals which isn't my style at all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Bitter melon experiment update: I have a complete plague of bitter melon sprouts. I wouldn't be surprised if I was getting approximately a 100% germination rate from the fruit I worked into the soil. And the "forced volunteers" are uniformly looking much more vigorous than the ones I direct sowed from seed earlier this season.

Previously I had speculated that the vigour of the volunteer vines was due to the extra "stuff" from the fruit adhering to the seeds when the seeds aren't cleaned up for saving. Now I'm leaning toward an alternate theory. Planting guides (like the one on the back of the seed packets from Kitazawa) recommend a seed depth of 1". That's about what I've used in the past when I'd direct sown the seeds.

The sprouts from over-ripe fruit that have been worked into the soil end up much deeper. And all of the excess sprouts I've pulled up (and there have been dozens) look like:

I don't know if there's any direct benefit to having more of the stem below the soil, but the part that emerges is much thicker, greener, and all-around "beefier" than the ones that have been sown at the "correct" depth. It seems almost like topping pepper plants or something like that--encouraging them to be less leggy when they're getting established seems to produce a more vigorous plant down the road.

Don't know if this is something that I can just get away with because they're in raised beds. So the soil is very good, well-tilled, well-drained, and so on. So maybe they'd be less happy about the 4"-5" seed depth if they weren't basically in a big box of potting soil. But holy poo poo is it producing a whole lot of very happy-looking sprouts compared to "correct" direct sowing practice.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I eventually got tired of digging them up every spring and just sprayed the new growth with fairly strong glyphosate and that finally ended my zombie blackberries. If you mix some dish soap into your glyphosate mix it really helps on waxy leaved stuff like ivy or monkey grass, but you may still need to hit it a few times several weeks apart and probably one last time next spring.

This right here is a great idea.

Hit them in the spring, remove the canes, hit them again in the summer/fall, remove the canes and you start very quickly depleting the energy stored in the roots.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

This right here is a great idea.

Hit them in the spring, remove the canes, hit them again in the summer/fall, remove the canes and you start very quickly depleting the energy stored in the roots.

I'm going to add this to my plans for the week. While I dislike glyphosate being used for everything, I'll definitely use it to murder invasive things with a spray bottle.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Very jealous of your cool rear end mother in law. Mine is only into annuals which isn't my style at all.

I need to take pictures of their garden but I always forget. Li cut down another old tree in the front yard this year so he could put more tomatoes by the front porch. The garden is this amazing collision of old school chinese ideas and just total whiskey tango redneck poo poo, it's a uniquely southern garden for sure. And it's huge. Mine is big but theirs is about twice the size of mine, not including all the random places he's cut out the grass to plant stuff.

This is the same guy that cut down a couple massive trees in his yard by himself using a weight lifting belt for belay and gutter nails to climb the trees. In $1 walmart flip flops. He smokes like a chimney and could probably whip the average dudes rear end one handed.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I was just out in my garden and I have to show this off.

This is a red current that I got last fall and look at all that new growth just this year. You can see it with all the bright green stem vs the brown older woody stem. Absolutely amazing. I'm so proud.

This right here is a salmon berry planted at the same time.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:blessed:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

my neighbor says it's better for me to pluck off the flowers of my blueberries and keep them in their pots so they establish a bigger ball of roots and get big and hardy.

confirm or deny?

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Wallet posted:

I don't know if any of that answers any of your questions but :shrug:.

Thanks! I appreciate the words and it helps to see people’s strategies. I have a couple years before I can really commit to getting the garden where I like it- but a lot of the current plants I want to keep have started from seed and spread/move each year so I’m hoping to have a good picture before I go crazy buying plants once I’m able.

Until then I have a bunch of bushes I hate, a lovely bunch of constantly shifting black eyed susans, columbines, and alliums. Also some unfortunate day lilies/hostas and a staggeringly robust peony. Better than it was, not as good as it can be. Already a lot of bees and butterflies in the summer though :3:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

my neighbor says it's better for me to pluck off the flowers of my blueberries and keep them in their pots so they establish a bigger ball of roots and get big and hardy.

confirm or deny?

Plucking the flowers is a good tip on most fruiting plants in their first year.

Keeping in their pots? I keep all my blueberries in pots because it’s the easiest way to get them the acidic, well‐draining soil they desire. I put them in their final homes (forty‐litre pots or larger) immediately. If their potting soil is good, I guess leaving them in their nursery pots for a while would be all right, but they have very fine roots, so whatever they root in, they’re in for good. You’ll be putting the whole rootball in the hole you dig or the container you prepare.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Anyone want to take a stab at why my whole tomato plant is turning yellow? It’s sitting on top of 2 feet of well draining soil. We’ve had a lot of rain lately. It’s the only plant producing fruit currently and has grown more than a foot in the last month.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Looks like too much water to me. Maybe throw a cheap soil kit at it to rule out nitrogen.

Tomato plants are remarkably resilient but subject to a few specific weaknesses. They don't like wet feet, they will devour every bit of food you can give them, and most of the indeterminate varieties drat near compete against themselves without pruning/training.

Edit: Speaking of, what kind of 'mater are they? Those cages are already looking a little optimistic if it's growing that fast. Mine usually reach the top of a nine foot trellis and get wrapped around the top wire laterally. Crazy plants.

mischief fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 11, 2021

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

mischief posted:

Those cages are already looking a little optimistic if it's growing that fast. Mine usually reach the top of a nine foot trellis and get wrapped around the top wire laterally. Crazy plants.

Yup, cages are pointless.

Big posts with wires between them, or ideally a string support from above , buried underneath the rootball is the most reliable way.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I'm putting in my tomatoes this weekend. I'll take pictures of the set up I came up with for this year when it's done. I'm using the string and clip method because gently caress cages.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Yeah my tomatoes wrecked my cages last year so I switched to those green t-posts and a "florida weave" of nylon string laced between the plants.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah my tomatoes wrecked my cages last year so I switched to those green t-posts and a "florida weave" of nylon string laced between the plants.

I was going to go that route, but decided the clip method would work better for me due to rotating the tomatoes to other beds in other years. And also using the uprights to attach netting to to keep the deer away from other plants. We'll see how that goes. Fuckers are tame around here now.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Cages just arent worth it for tomatoes. They outgrow them so quickly.

I do find they work pretty well for pepper plants though.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

mischief posted:

Looks like too much water to me. Maybe throw a cheap soil kit at it to rule out nitrogen.

Tomato plants are remarkably resilient but subject to a few specific weaknesses. They don't like wet feet, they will devour every bit of food you can give them, and most of the indeterminate varieties drat near compete against themselves without pruning/training.

Edit: Speaking of, what kind of 'mater are they? Those cages are already looking a little optimistic if it's growing that fast. Mine usually reach the top of a nine foot trellis and get wrapped around the top wire laterally. Crazy plants.

Thanks. Nothing else is yellowing so I don't quite get it if it's water-related; the soil is deep for a raised bed and it should be draining well. Ugh.

This plant is a sakura tomato. They were the only cages I could find when I planted and both home depot and lowes near me has been sold out of taller ones for a month, lol. *everyone* is gardening and houseplanting right now, apparently. I have some scrap wood I might need to just make a taller trellis with.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
It may be sunlight related too? It’s hard to tell from the picture if it’s getting enough. It looks right near a corner, but it may just be shading a bit too much and it’s trying to keep up. If it’s new raised bed soil you shouldn’t be having nitrogen problems, but you could mix in a small amount of blood meal and water it in to see how it reacts.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

My pumpkins are doing very poorly and yellowing. I think it's because there's too much native clay in the patch and because I've been keeping up on watering it's making the roots rot rather than be happy. Thank you for listening to my plant talk.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bi-la kaifa posted:

My pumpkins are doing very poorly and yellowing. I think it's because there's too much native clay in the patch and because I've been keeping up on watering it's making the roots rot rather than be happy. Thank you for listening to my plant talk.

Do they have squash vine borers? I bet they do

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

skylined! posted:

This plant is a sakura tomato. They were the only cages I could find when I planted and both home depot and lowes near me has been sold out of taller ones for a month, lol. *everyone* is gardening and houseplanting right now, apparently. I have some scrap wood I might need to just make a taller trellis with.

Those plants will almost definitely want to be spread out/tall. I wish they'd stop selling cages, they're really only useful for porch bound determinates. Those plants will get as big as you support them getting, in short. Good food, dry feet, and support, and little cherry size tomatoes are easily one of the best things you can have in a garden. Most years when kids were involved they didn't even make it inside before someone ate them. Especially delicious when still sun warm late in the season.

Otherwise looks like a great start to gardening. Hang on to the short cages and plant you some screaming hot peppers next year, they're beautiful plants.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Do they have squash vine borers? I bet they do

I'm on the west coast, I don't think we have those here. I'm gonna mound up some rich soil on them and see if they'll recover a bit

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
My basil is doing better, i sprayed it with soapy water and there are no more holes. Thanks thread!

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I'm on the west coast, I don't think we have those here. I'm gonna mound up some rich soil on them and see if they'll recover a bit

Could be cold. It's still a bit early for squash over here.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

mischief posted:

Those plants will almost definitely want to be spread out/tall. I wish they'd stop selling cages, they're really only useful for porch bound determinates. Those plants will get as big as you support them getting, in short. Good food, dry feet, and support, and little cherry size tomatoes are easily one of the best things you can have in a garden. Most years when kids were involved they didn't even make it inside before someone ate them. Especially delicious when still sun warm late in the season.

Otherwise looks like a great start to gardening. Hang on to the short cages and plant you some screaming hot peppers next year, they're beautiful plants.

Thanks. I’m learning about the string method now - the raised bed is near the edge of my deck so I might be able to set up a 4-5ft string!

Separately, is there a tree thread or is this it? I have a 20ft maple tree with girdling roots - it’s dropping leaves and not filling out this spring. Someone suggested having an arborist look at it, but the only responsive one in my area wants $200 just to consult. If I can dig out the roots myself to try and save it I’d rather just do that, before chopping it down.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 13, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Last year I had good success using cages (which I already owned) for my tomatoes early, and then running the Florida weave out of the cages once they started to outgrow them.

Greenhouse update: I've had some heartbreak as quite a few seedlings died on transplant because I managed the temperature poorly. I'm getting a better handle on it and I've restarted a bunch of plants.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

skylined! posted:

Separately, is there a tree thread or is this it? I have a 20ft maple tree with girdling roots - it’s dropping leaves and not filling out this spring. Someone suggested having an arborist look at it, but the only responsive one in my area wants $200 just to consult. If I can dig out the roots myself to try and save it I’d rather just do that, before chopping it down.

Here you go!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3951612

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

skylined! posted:

Thanks. I’m learning about the string method now - the raised bed is near the edge of my deck so I might be able to set up a 4-5ft string!

I don't think there's a tree thread specifically but this thread is usually more focused on stuff you can eat so you may have better luck in the Horticulture thread.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The starts I put outside have been submitted to some deluges and are almost dead. As normal I will start reserves and the originals will bounce back, leaving me with more plants than I know what to do with. The circle of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

skylined! posted:

Landscaping thread