Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah, agree with everything, but the part about not meeting the metrics and not wanting to keep them in the supply chain for longer is what I was getting at. They'd all be okay plant probably, but because 'reasons' the dump them for cheaper to recoup the sunk cost knowing that they won't get 6-7x that in a couple years.

The garden store I was at earlier did have labels and proper names/cultivars on just about everything. I think it's a focus there and they had okay growing requirements listed too. But only on the sign in the store so you better take a picture. There were some with printed instructions on tags, but mostly not. They're also very organic (certified) focused so there's a markup for that too, hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
loving hell, I’m very much at a point in my hobby where one brief, momentary lapse of time and attention means lots of compounding catastrophes happening at once.

I really need to upgrade my setup and watering situation so I don’t wind up dealing with 5+ dying plants, mostly of the same kind, at a time because I had a bad week at work

this whole month has felt like that, and so far I’ve been coming out with different watering cohorts getting vastly different levels of care & outcomes

the worst is when your neglect ends with you overwatering one group and therefore underwatering another, and then they both get equally hosed up (or usually the underwatered ones lose leaves and short-term aesthetic value and the overwatered ones die)

and it’s not even like a bad monetary issue either. Maybe it’s $30 in plant losses, at worst. But a lot of the worst losses, or most permanent + egregious maimings were things I’ve had forever :(

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

loving hell, I’m very much at a point in my hobby where one brief, momentary lapse of time and attention means lots of compounding catastrophes happening at once.

I hate when plants do poorly, especially when I know it's my fault (it can't be their fault so it's always my fault :gonk:), so I feel you. I try to remind myself that everyone who grows plants has killed quite a few. I can't deal with not loving up a bunch of different sets of watering schedules and poo poo so I just have two groups: Everything gets watered Sunday morning, some things also get watered Wednesday morning. The reason I switched to gritty was this right here:

Ok Comboomer posted:

or usually the underwatered ones lose leaves and short-term aesthetic value and the overwatered ones die

If I underwater stuff it still loses some leaves or looks a bit wrinkly until I can get it to perk back up but I have yet to kill anything with overwatering in it. Before I switched over we had a week that was so humid that I had a Gasteria start to rot above the soil even though I hadn't watered it in two weeks. I saved some pups but it still hasn't gotten back to where the original plant was.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

I hate when plants do poorly, especially when I know it's my fault (it can't be their fault so it's always my fault :gonk:), so I feel you. I try to remind myself that everyone who grows plants has killed quite a few. I can't deal with not loving up a bunch of different sets of watering schedules and poo poo so I just have two groups: Everything gets watered Sunday morning, some things also get watered Wednesday morning. The reason I switched to gritty was this right here:

If I underwater stuff it still loses some leaves or looks a bit wrinkly until I can get it to perk back up but I have yet to kill anything with overwatering in it. Before I switched over we had a week that was so humid that I had a Gasteria start to rot above the soil even though I hadn't watered it in two weeks. I saved some pups but it still hasn't gotten back to where the original plant was.

I think the biggest mistake I’ve made of late (like last 2 months) is that I’ve bought a bunch of stuff, told myself that it needs repotting, and then I’ve neglected to repot it.

So in the case of some small succulents and tropicals they dry out/get waterlogged incredibly easily.

And also some have come with issues from the store, that should’ve been caught in time. I picked up four Euphorbia “ZigZag” cuttings in wet-rear end soil about a month ago, and then proceeded to let two of them succumb to rot because I literally just forgot to dry them out like I’d planned.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

I think the biggest mistake I’ve made of late (like last 2 months) is that I’ve bought a bunch of stuff, told myself that it needs repotting, and then I’ve neglected to repot it.

Yeah, that'll definitely get you. The first thing I do when I get new succulents is take them out of the pots and wash all of the nonsense they've been growing them in off in the sink.

Ok Comboomer posted:

And also some have come with issues from the store, that should’ve been caught in time. I picked up four Euphorbia “ZigZag” cuttings in wet-rear end soil about a month ago, and then proceeded to let two of them succumb to rot because I literally just forgot to dry them out like I’d planned.

I've basically just sworn off buying stuff when it's like this because the best case scenario when I convince myself I can save a plant they've been drowning is that it's a buttload of work and babying to see it back to health and the worst case is I get to watch it rot and never recover. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it too much.

On a happier note this Delosperma that's attempting to devour my entire garden (it's working its way towards the lawn, as well) has decided it's time to do some flowering:

Wallet fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 13, 2021

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That's gorgeous! I'm jealous of you people that can have succulents planted outside but not jealous enough to want to live in heat

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nosre posted:

That's gorgeous! I'm jealous of you people that can have succulents planted outside but not jealous enough to want to live in heat

I'm in zone 6 so not so hot at all—I think most Delosperma are hardy down to 5 or so. There are a reasonable number of succulents that can hang in fairly cold places though obviously your options are greatly reduced.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Fair enough. I'm in Europe zone 8 and we had a cold snap that got down to about -8c (17f, which should still be warmer than US zone 6) and it murdered a number of things I had left outside including an Echeveria 'Purple Pearl', a Hebe, and a Eucalyptus in a pot

To be fair, I had doubts about the Echeveria but it had been outside the previous few winters so I figured what the heck, see how hardy it is. RIP

Lemons are badass though, I also left out a couple of those and they lost all their leaves and smaller branches but are all coming back gangbusters

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
:nice:

Citrus trees are more resilient than people give them credit for.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wallet posted:

I'm in zone 6 so not so hot at all—I think most Delosperma are hardy down to 5 or so. There are a reasonable number of succulents that can hang in fairly cold places though obviously your options are greatly reduced.

One of the most remarkable things I saw while touring Ecuador a few years ago was the absolutely massive amount of succulents at about 10.5k feet elevation, at Ingapirca. We stayed at Posada Ingapirca and the entire grounds were covered with succulents, including several hundred feet of 3-4ft tall stonecrop(?) plants. It was 30-40f at night and fairly humid the few nights we were there, and stays in the 40s-60s mostly year round (but rarely freezes). It rains like two thirds of the year. Just totally inconsistent with what the weather I thought succulents liked to grow in.

Here have some photos.

All of the green behind the brush here is some sort of stonecrop!

I will never shut up about Ecuador.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nosre posted:

To be fair, I had doubts about the Echeveria but it had been outside the previous few winters so I figured what the heck, see how hardy it is. RIP

Someone brought me a little Echeveria last year that I didn't want to grow inside (Echeveria don't seem like great houseplants to me) so I put it in the garden figuring it would be a cute annual. We actually had a really mild winter this year and it made it all the way to the very end when it finally gave up the ghost during some freeze/thaw cycles :(.

Nosre posted:

Fair enough. I'm in Europe zone 8 and we had a cold snap that got down to about -8c (17f, which should still be warmer than US zone 6) and it murdered a number of things I had left outside including an Echeveria 'Purple Pearl', a Hebe, and a Eucalyptus in a pot

As far as I can tell zone 8 has the same min temperature in Europe as in the US so you can actually grow all kinds of poo poo I can't. There's more stuff than you think that stays evergreen even here where it consistently hits -10f in the winter (-23c). It's never too late to start a rock garden!

Off the top of my head, groundcover type genuses with species that don't mind -10f:
  • Sempervivum - Many go down to -30f or colder.
  • Orostachys - Cool though they can be hard to find. The ones I have are only semi-evergreen here though they come back.
  • Sedum - There's so many but album, sexangulare and dasyphyllum are my hardy favorites.
  • Phedimus - Used to be sedum.
  • Delosperma - Doesn't seem to give a single poo poo about the snow. The one I posted is cooperi which spreads extremely aggressively and turns into an impenetrable mat but less aggressive varieties are available.
  • Aloinopsis - I'm told that at least luckhoffii is hardy.
  • Titanopsis - The only specific one I know of is calcarea but there may be others.
Larger/taller succulents:
  • Yucca - A handful of varieties are hardy here including filamentosa, baccata, and rostrata. Check out rostrata cv. Sapphires Skies: it grows a big old trunk like a palm tree.
  • Hesperaloe - I've had good luck with parviflora. I planted a couple of chiangii last year that made it through the winter but couldn't handle the snow melt, unfortunately.
  • Agave - I like utahensis quite a bit.
  • Euphorbia - There's a few succulent members that can handle cold, including clavarioides and myrsinites (always check when planting Euphorbia if they are invasive in your area because some of them can get out of hand!)
  • Hylotelephium - Also used to be/sometimes is still labeled as Sedum. I'm fond of ewersii.
And even some select cacti though you really have to see to drainage:
  • Opuntia - A bunch of them don't mind cold, including the delightfully cute fragilis.
  • Cylindropuntia - Some of them have great flowers; kleiniae is really gorgeous.
  • Echinocereus - I only put some in this year so I'll report back on how they do here.
  • Gymnocalycium - I've read that bruchii can go down to 6 though I haven't tried it.
  • Maihueniopsis - Not super common but some varieties don't mind the cold.

As an extra bonus everything on the list that I've vomited forth into this thread above (I get excited about succulents, sorry) is hardy where I am in zone 6. Since you're in 8, all of them should work for you as (permanently) outdoor container plantings if you don't want to go all in on filling your garden with rocks and poo poo (:getin:).

skylined! posted:

One of the most remarkable things I saw while touring Ecuador a few years ago was the absolutely massive amount of succulents at about 10.5k feet elevation, at Ingapirca. We stayed at Posada Ingapirca and the entire grounds were covered with succulents, including several hundred feet of 3-4ft tall stonecrop(?) plants. It was 30-40f at night and fairly humid the few nights we were there, and stays in the 40s-60s mostly year round (but rarely freezes). It rains like two thirds of the year. Just totally inconsistent with what the weather I thought succulents liked to grow in.
There's quite a few epiphytic cacti in particular that are from jungles and such, it's a super diverse category.

If they were calling it stonecrop but it was 3-4 feet high it could be a Hylotelephium, maybe? It can be difficult to identify succulents that are growing naturally because cultivated specimens often look wildly different from us babying them instead of letting them deal with inconsistent water availability and getting pecked at by birds and rocks falling on top of them and poo poo.

skylined! posted:

I will never shut up about Ecuador.
Thread needs more sweet Ecuadorian succulent pictures IMO.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wallet posted:

Someone brought me a little Echeveria last year that I didn't want to grow inside (Echeveria don't seem like great houseplants to me) so I put it in the garden figuring it would be a cute annual. We actually had a really mild winter this year and it made it all the way to the very end when it finally gave up the ghost during some freeze/thaw cycles :(.

As far as I can tell zone 8 has the same min temperature in Europe as in the US so you can actually grow all kinds of poo poo I can't. There's more stuff than you think that stays evergreen even here where it consistently hits -10f in the winter (-23c). It's never too late to start a rock garden!

Amazing list, gonna be looking up a bunch of these!

And you're absolutely right, I was actually being mentally lazy and just thinking of the low-water, fragile ones when I said that. I actually have some of those already, like in that pot with the RIP Echeveria there's some hens and chicks and one unidentified, looks-like-a-Sedum that was from the previous tenants:

Then there's this fun stuff, which I literally pulled off a rootop in a France hostel we were at, stuck it in the bottom of my (now looking dead :( ) Eucalytpus and it's gone absolutely nuts.

The hens and chicks there are holding on but that other stuff is fierce. Also maybe a Sedum, any thoughts?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

So I have a 10-15 year old maple in my front yard that is not filling out this spring, has what has been identified as root girdling and I’m concerned it’s going to fully die. I had to chop a smaller one in my back yard recently due to what is likely the same issue, as both trees were probably planted by the same yard company before we bought the house.

It was recommended I contact an ISA arborist. I did, and they want $200 just to consult. The other local one is MIA after a few... odd text messages. So I might try this on my own. Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can approach fixing and saving this tree? Should I suck it up and pay this guy $200 to tell me I have a dead tree?

Hard to tell because of the backdrop but a good portion of branches have not leafed, and some that have are already going crispy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

echeveria make wonderful houseplants if you have an artificial light setup. without it they go to poo poo really fast.

oh—also I found another $30 Japanese maple, probably the last one in any home despot lot in the whole drat state

it was actually in the same batch where I got my first—it got buried in a thick clump of bigger trees and subsequently forgotten when they all burst into leaf. In that time it proceeded to put its energy into trying to break through and got all gangly threadbare where my first is nice and thickened out.

Oh well, no worries. I plan to do lots of surgery to this one anyway. Hopefully harvest a whole clump of air-layerings and bend this sucker into something silly looking

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
IANAA, but I think that tree can be saved.

If it were my tree, I would remove the girdling root(s) and prune the dead wood out of the canopy. Cut branches back to live wood so the tree can heal over.

Inarch grafting can be used to save even severely girdled trees. I don’t know that it’s necessary here, but if we are continuing the narrative framing of “if it were my tree”, I’d do it because it’s good practice and may help.

Maybe you could ask the arborist if they can inarch graft to save your tree. I’m sure it’s not a question they’ve gotten from a homeowner before, but I would like to think they’ve done it when the situation called for it.

https://youtu.be/_rk5elRwBNY

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Tbh it’s probably too late for that tree, but prune out the dead wood, dig around the base of the tree carefully and cut any girdling roots, and hope for the best. That bark splitting off at the base is not a good sign. Kill the grass for a few feet around it and mulch it. It might be weed eater damage as much as root girdling, and competing with the grass definitely isn’t helping it. Keep it well watered if the weather gets dry and hope for the best. It’s very likely the tree was pot bound when they planted it and they didn’t break up the root ball and so it’s just been growing in a circle it’s whole life.

By the time you get done cutting all the dead wood back (and really you should probably cut the whole tree back so there’s less green stuff it’s trying to keep alive) it’s gonna be a fairly butchered tree and it might be better to start over with a new one. It’s worth trying to save first though, and if it doesn’t work out, plant something new this winter.

E: ^^^^I didn’t know about that grafting-that’s neat. I’d still probably save my $400 or whatever it might cost and put it towards a nice new tree that I’d spend time planting right, rather than throw good money after a likely poorly planted tree that is gonna have a long recovery, but YMMV! Trees also grow really fast in my yard and may not grow so fast in different climates.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 13, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Nosre posted:

Amazing list, gonna be looking up a bunch of these!

And you're absolutely right, I was actually being mentally lazy and just thinking of the low-water, fragile ones when I said that. I actually have some of those already, like in that pot with the RIP Echeveria there's some hens and chicks and one unidentified, looks-like-a-Sedum that was from the previous tenants:

Then there's this fun stuff, which I literally pulled off a rootop in a France hostel we were at, stuck it in the bottom of my (now looking dead :( ) Eucalytpus and it's gone absolutely nuts.

The hens and chicks there are holding on but that other stuff is fierce. Also maybe a Sedum, any thoughts?

That's a ground cover Sedum, but I don't know the variety at all. We had it all over our last garden and it grows and grows. But it's also really easy to yank out without disturbing all the soil. It started growing in my compost when I didn't turn it in completely, but did die once it made the center of it. I really like the colors on the one you have, and when you plant something else in that pot you can just wiggle it back into the top of the soil and it'll come back great.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had a neat little pot of diamorpha smallii for several years, but a squirrel just gutted it, so I guess that's the end of that project.

This is the worst year for squirrels I've ever had. They've ruined several plants. I'm this close to taking my .22 out there.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

The taller lime green stuff looks like Hylotelephium telephium probably but it could be one of many cultivars of either it or spectabile. It's definitely Hylotelephium anyway.

The little guy with the pink edges in the middle is likely Phedimus spurius cv. Tri-color (previously Sedum spurium cv. Tri-color) though there are a number of other cultivars it could be and with how small it currently is it could be something like Hylotelephium ewersii or even be one of the Sedum tetractinum cultivars with pink edges.

Nosre posted:

That's Sedum album. The Sempervivum look like arachnoideum or a cultivar of it.

Ok Comboomer posted:

oh—also I found another $30 Japanese maple, probably the last one in any home despot lot in the whole drat state

They got another shipment of them at the one closest to me in western MA a couple of days ago and they still had some left as of yesterday or the day before so keep an eye out if you want more of them.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Wallet posted:

The taller lime green stuff looks like Hylotelephium telephium probably but it could be one of many cultivars of either it or spectabile. It's definitely Hylotelephium anyway.

The little guy with the pink edges in the middle is likely Phedimus spurius cv. Tri-color (previously Sedum spurium cv. Tri-color) though there are a number of other cultivars it could be and with how small it currently is it could be something like Hylotelephium ewersii or even be one of the Sedum tetractinum cultivars with pink edges.

That's Sedum album. The Sempervivum look like arachnoideum or a cultivar of it.

You're good, thanks! :hfive:

Jhet posted:

That's a ground cover Sedum, but I don't know the variety at all. We had it all over our last garden and it grows and grows. But it's also really easy to yank out without disturbing all the soil. It started growing in my compost when I didn't turn it in completely, but did die once it made the center of it. I really like the colors on the one you have, and when you plant something else in that pot you can just wiggle it back into the top of the soil and it'll come back great.

Yea, I love it but I've definitely had to yank out chunks from various places because it's a serious spreader.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jhet posted:

My theory is that Monrovia or whomever is growing them is just doing it in a massive way. So they make more money by quantity, and they ship out the trees that look okay, but won't fetch a better price next year. The garden center I was at earlier to pick up copper Bonide fungus killer has a whole Japanese Maple section and those trees were no where near $30, but they were much bigger by a few years.

I mean really, it's not like they're hard to start. I pulled out 40-50 of them this weekend. So they probably just rake up a bunch of them, dump them into starts and then make money through attrition.

As an aside, that garden center is okay with pricing things at the higher level, but everything was getting the opposite of home depot treatment, where they were being mostly underwatered. There were entire tables of tomatoes that all needed water, and house plants were even worse. They were mostly as dry as a new rockwool cube.

I have a hypothesis here - I’ll bet those inexpensive “red/green” Japanese maples are just straight Acer palmatum that were grown in bulk to discover new cultivars. Those trees look about old enough to ensure that there’s nothing crazy about them to warrant a new cultivar name. Either that or extras grown for root stock.

And I will say, I pay around $30 for a Monrovia named maple cultivar in a gallon container, and around $40 for rarer varieties grown by the local nursery of the same size, with height ranging from 2-5.5’.

A few new ones I just planted. Please ignore the lovely lawn, I hate it and I don’t care about it. I have a Radiant, Tobishio and Fireglow to get properly planted.

“Katsura”

“Seiryu” This one is particularly interesting, as it's one of the very few upright laceleaf maples. The vast majority mound over or can even turn to ground cover if they aren't trained in some way.

“Sango Kaku”

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 13, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
If we’re posting pictures of Japanese Maples, here’s an old one.

I have no idea what variety again, as I didn’t plant it. But I get to learn how to prune it. Similar to the mess of a plant in the front of my yard, it’s had some hack jobs done to it in the past. For now I’m going to leave the completely horizontal branch on the left for my 7yo to climb. It should come off, but kid > tree. For now I’ll just clean up the dead branches and select ones to grow mostly the right direction.

It was planted much too close to the spruce that’s probably 100 years old, but it’s fine for now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Jhet posted:

If we’re posting pictures of Japanese Maples, here’s an old one.

I have no idea what variety again, as I didn’t plant it. But I get to learn how to prune it. Similar to the mess of a plant in the front of my yard, it’s had some hack jobs done to it in the past. For now I’m going to leave the completely horizontal branch on the left for my 7yo to climb. It should come off, but kid > tree. For now I’ll just clean up the dead branches and select ones to grow mostly the right direction.

It was planted much too close to the spruce that’s probably 100 years old, but it’s fine for now.

That’s a great looking tree and a solid plan. The only thing I would add is to look areas to thin out a bit if you have branches touching or just need to add a little more breathing room. If you don’t already know, summer is likely your best time to prune since it will give the tree time to heal up before fall/rain comes.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Nosre posted:

Yea, I love it but I've definitely had to yank out chunks from various places because it's a serious spreader.

This is pretty much the best thing about ground cover sedums, you just have to find another place you want them. They're probably the easiest plant I know of to root and they seem to outcompete the weeds for the most part.

This was a single stem an animal or something broke off late last summer that I poked in the ground for funsies.

There's also some places growing/selling pretty decent mixed pads with 5 or 8 or whatever varieties of groundcover Sedum mixed together these days. I planted some in a completely empty garden just about a year ago (May 3rd based on the date on this photo):

And they've filled in nicely (the leftmost parts aren't the pads, just other Sedum I planted on their own):

Solkanar512 posted:

And I will say, I pay around $30 for a Monrovia named maple cultivar in a gallon container, and around $40 for rarer varieties grown by the local nursery of the same size, with height ranging from 2-5.5’.

At actual nurseries here I don't think I've ever seen one for less than $150 (and that on rare occasions when they happen to have small ones). Usually it's just substantially more mature trees at $5-900+.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

That’s a great looking tree and a solid plan. The only thing I would add is to look areas to thin out a bit if you have branches touching or just need to add a little more breathing room. If you don’t already know, summer is likely your best time to prune since it will give the tree time to heal up before fall/rain comes.

Yeah. I had to scrub some moss off it this spring because it had taken up where the bad pruning jobs had been done. It looks like they just tore out some of the branches too, so I have to keep an eye on the wounds. Most have healed okay, but I'll expect moss to show up every winter/spring now.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wallet posted:

At actual nurseries here I don't think I've ever seen one for less than $150 (and that on rare occasions when they happen to have small ones). Usually it's just substantially more mature trees at $5-900+.

Holy poo poo, I only see the $150 trees for stuff in 5-7 gallon containers. Maybe $75 for a 2-3 gallon. But then again, this region is a center of cultivar development and cultivation, so that could explain it.

Even then, that Sango Kaku was a ball and burlap tree with a rootball filling a 10 gallon container and it was only $40 at Costco. But those trees were pretty clearly grown in bulk and sheared to hell for transport.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Q: do I want to keep my m deliciosa indoors this summer to control size, or bring it out and encourage it to get as big as its pot(s) allow?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mine kinda gets hosed up by the elements when I take it outside, even in the shade, but it gets much bigger leaves. The it grows out of control to the extent that it's hard to bring it back in without serious pruning. It's a weird plant that's always simultaneously very happy and very unhappy.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Q: do I want to keep my m deliciosa indoors this summer to control size, or bring it out and encourage it to get as big as its pot(s) allow?

I have one inside and one outside, both juvenile, competing to see which one will grow faster. Fuckers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

I have one inside and one outside, both juvenile, competing to see which one will grow faster. Fuckers.

I hacked off parts of one of mine and stuck it outside... to teach it a lesson.

I need to move the outside one, it's acting like its not getting quite enough light in the shade even though it was getting similar light indoors. Plants are weird.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I put it outside. It’s gonna need to be repotted soon too.

I moved a large batch of my houseplants outdoors as well, most for the first time.

I’d been watching the calendar, eagerly awaiting the day, and at least for the next week it shouldn’t dip below 50, so fingers crossed that’s it for the season.

A lot of them were starting to lean and look worse for wear. The way I see it, bringing them out—at least for May and early June means taking some of the burden off of me in terms of managing their environment, since I can just let nature do it and spray whoever needs it with the hose.

Worried about people stealing some of them tho, hopefully that’s an unfounded fear but I guess I won’t know until the season’s over. Also concerned about wildlife. Next order of business will be to build some benches to get everything off of the ground.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wallet posted:

There's quite a few epiphytic cacti in particular that are from jungles and such, it's a super diverse category.

If they were calling it stonecrop but it was 3-4 feet high it could be a Hylotelephium, maybe? It can be difficult to identify succulents that are growing naturally because cultivated specimens often look wildly different from us babying them instead of letting them deal with inconsistent water availability and getting pecked at by birds and rocks falling on top of them and poo poo.

Thread needs more sweet Ecuadorian succulent pictures IMO.

Not sure 100% if it was stonecrop - just what my plant app identified it as - specifically sedum dendroideum. I was just taken aback by how... plentiful it was. Just hundreds of square feet of the stuff.

Here's some more succulents:

So the story, in 2019 my wife and I visited some friends (expats) in Ecuador. We spent 10 days from the coast to the highlands to Guayaquil to the mountains to the edge of the Amazon and seeing so many different climates, and ecosystems, in such a short time, was amazing. I have too many pictures.

We stayed three nights at a resort on the side of a mountain overlooking Banos de Agua Santa and it was the most beautiful place I have ever been. We cried when we left. We... don't travel much, lol. Ingapirca is an Incan site - second largest behind Macchu Picchu - and Posada Ingapirca was established as a hotel after serving as quarters for excavators in the 1800s/1900s. The main building is cool as hell and all warped from earthquakes over the last century+ and at just above 10k feet in elevation. We also did a day hike, from Banos, into Ecuador's edge of the Amazon basin. Those three places are most of the pictures in the album below are form. There's like 250+ images here.

https://imgur.com/a/DvvNE34

Ok thanks for listening to my little story, I am not a great photographer.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Is this the right thread to ask about intentionally killing plants? I'm sure I can find a ton of different answers on Google, but I'd greatly appreciate experienced advice on the best way to deal with buckthorn. We are on a wooded 2.5 acres, and it is pretty prevalent in all sizes up to full trees. I would love to get rid of what's there and keep it as buckthorn-free as possible.

If needed as karmic balance for asking about plant murder, I can provide pictures of the plants my wife grows outside. Nothing too exotic, but things that can live in zone 4B with a focus on having pollinator-friendly stuff blooming at different times throughout the summer. Pretty sure we will be converting one section of our yard to native grass this year as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about intentionally killing plants? I'm sure I can find a ton of different answers on Google, but I'd greatly appreciate experienced advice on the best way to deal with buckthorn. We are on a wooded 2.5 acres, and it is pretty prevalent in all sizes up to full trees. I would love to get rid of what's there and keep it as buckthorn-free as possible.

If needed as karmic balance for asking about plant murder, I can provide pictures of the plants my wife grows outside. Nothing too exotic, but things that can live in zone 4B with a focus on having pollinator-friendly stuff blooming at different times throughout the summer. Pretty sure we will be converting one section of our yard to native grass this year as well.

have you asked the gardening thread? They seem to be all about undesired plant eradication these days

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I started some tomatoes from seed and I have them in some self watering pots in a "seed-starter" mix after they germinated. Will these have to be repotted into some other type of soil?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Goodpancakes posted:

I started some tomatoes from seed and I have them in some self watering pots in a "seed-starter" mix after they germinated. Will these have to be repotted into some other type of soil?

Seed raising mix is a bit lighter and fluffier

You will have better results in a denser, richer soil

If this is your first time growing stuff however , and you are anxious about transplantation, you can grow in seed raising mix. Up the fertilizer a bit and watch the water so it doesn't dry out

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Is this the right thread to ask about intentionally killing plants?

I think it’s more in the landscaping thread’s bailiwick.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I harvested my Chinese ginger today

With the price of ginger ATM I'm glad to have it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
these are both magnolias, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re dogwoods, maybe Cornus florida but don’t quote me on the species.