Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A simple shelf I made to take advantage of some wasted volume in my house.

The wood is hickory. This is the first time I've used it, and I'm pretty impressed; it's not terribly hard to work, can splinter but no more than cherry would, and it smells nice. The high contrast in the grain is a potential issue for some applications, of course, but here I don't think it's a problem.

Design-wise, I'd've been happier if I could make the shelf a little longer so it could span three studs instead of like 2.9, but if I made it any longer, I wouldn't have been able to install it because of the beam you can see in the top-left of the photo. The shelf + triangular bracket slides vertically into dovetail slots in the mounting pieces, and those slots (and the rails on the triangular brackets) are a bit too long to fit with the beam in the way.

(in retrospect I could have made them shorter, oh well)

At first I thought you edge glued some 2" maple with a miter rip and was well impressed. Then I realized that hickory sapwood looks a hella like maple. :dafuq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If you are set up to spray, it doesn't get better than pre-cat lacquer for 'easy, fast, durable.' Varnish and 'fast' don't usually go together in my mind, but that stuff seems much faster drying than traditional oil based varnish. Reading the TDS "Depending on temperature and environmental conditions, you have only 45-90 seconds to maintain a workable edge, so it is recommended that you work diligently" seems like it might be a pain? It says it is a water based poly that I guess has something in it to make it dry super fast.

I had never heard of pre-cat lacquer before and now I'm on the hunt for some to try it out. I already have an HVLP setup that should work but holy poo poo is it impossible to find in my area. I may have to find a reputable online dealer. I found General Finishes Enduro pre-cat lacquer on amazon but a bunch of the reviews said it was expired when they received it. I called every Sherwin Williams store in my area but no go.

I even have a local Rockler store in the area but they don't carry that line from General Finishes.

It's probably because I'm in NY and they have very restrictive rules on VOCs compared to other states but I'm committed now. Need to find.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You should see if there’s someone that carries it for commercial customers. There’s whole classes of finishes that the guy who did my floors can buy that I can’t without that business license. It’s supposed to be a training thing where pro customers will know how to use it safely, but these are the same people who will do a whole old floor refinishing job and not wear masks. So it probably exists in other places, even in NY.

Maybe you can get one of them to buy some for you.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Numinous posted:

I had never heard of pre-cat lacquer before and now I'm on the hunt for some to try it out. I already have an HVLP setup that should work but holy poo poo is it impossible to find in my area. I may have to find a reputable online dealer. I found General Finishes Enduro pre-cat lacquer on amazon but a bunch of the reviews said it was expired when they received it. I called every Sherwin Williams store in my area but no go.

I even have a local Rockler store in the area but they don't carry that line from General Finishes.

It's probably because I'm in NY and they have very restrictive rules on VOCs compared to other states but I'm committed now. Need to find.
Oh hmm I didn’t think about that. The stuff I use I get from a cabinet supplier and it does say INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY on it. Sherwin Williams definitely makes precats but you have to find the store that supplies cabinet/millwork shops, which is not the normal SW. If you’re near a decent sized city I am sure there is one, but no idea if they’ll sell to you. You need to spray any solvent born lacquer outside because the spray and solvents as they dry are very very flammable. It sounds like in NY that point may be moot anyway.

There are waterborne, catalyzed lacquers as well that may be an option. I looked into them a few years ago because I didn’t want to go to the expense of setting up a spray booth for solvent stuff, but didn’t wind up trying any out for a number of reasons. It’s very humid here which can really slow the drying, and I use water borne dyes which can bleed out into water borne lacquers. Target Coatings got recommended a bunch on the internet as acting the most like solvent based lacquer-you might look around for them. I use ML Campbells finishes and my local sales rep for them really didn’t recommend their water borne lacquer until a year or two ago when they they came out with a new product/formula and he says it works well even in this swamp. They’re definitely getting better all the time as more and more places restrict VOCs. I’ll try it out sometime in a personal project. They do have the advantage of mostly being non-yellowing too iirc.

E: you may have a hard time finding a pre-cat. Usually the tougher the finish with a pre-cat, the shorter the shelf life. I use 2 different precats-one is Very Tough and has to be used within 120 days after the catalyst added (they add right before I pick it up) the other one is sort of halfway between a normal, uncatalyzed nitrocellulose lacquer and the super tough one and it has a 1 yr shelf life and is catalyzed at the factory. More catalyst also means faster cure and so the finish reaches maximum toughness in a day or three vs a few weeks. Tougher finish also means harder to sand/rub though, so I usually use the middle of the road one, but the tougher one has more solids and needs fewer coats but you can’t build as thick of a finish or it will crack etc etc etc. There’s no perfect clear coat out there-they all have compromises. Another disadvantage imo of the precats is you do have to scuff sand between coats as they need some mechanical bonding, which nitrocellulose does not. I only scuff NC after the first and maybe 3rd coat to knock down any nibs, and that really saves a lot of time and honestly NC lacquers are plenty tough. It’s what’s every piece of factory furniture from 1920-1970 at least had on it, and it makes a beautiful finish.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 17, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I just tried to order some Baltic birch and they said don’t expect to see any until January, lol.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Oh hmm I didn’t think about that. The stuff I use I get from a cabinet supplier and it does say INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY on it. Sherwin Williams definitely makes precats but you have to find the store that supplies cabinet/millwork shops, which is not the normal SW. If you’re near a decent sized city I am sure there is one, but no idea if they’ll sell to you. You need to spray any solvent born lacquer outside because the spray and solvents as they dry are very very flammable. It sounds like in NY that point may be moot anyway.

There are waterborne, catalyzed lacquers as well that may be an option. I looked into them a few years ago because I didn’t want to go to the expense of setting up a spray booth for solvent stuff, but didn’t wind up trying any out for a number of reasons. It’s very humid here which can really slow the drying, and I use water borne dyes which can bleed out into water borne lacquers. Target Coatings got recommended a bunch on the internet as acting the most like solvent based lacquer-you might look around for them. I use ML Campbells finishes and my local sales rep for them really didn’t recommend their water borne lacquer until a year or two ago when they they came out with a new product/formula and he says it works well even in this swamp. They’re definitely getting better all the time as more and more places restrict VOCs. I’ll try it out sometime in a personal project. They do have the advantage of mostly being non-yellowing too iirc.

E: you may have a hard time finding a pre-cat. Usually the tougher the finish with a pre-cat, the shorter the shelf life. I use 2 different precats-one is Very Tough and has to be used within 120 days after the catalyst added (they add right before I pick it up) the other one is sort of halfway between a normal, uncatalyzed nitrocellulose lacquer and the super tough one and it has a 1 yr shelf life and is catalyzed at the factory. More catalyst also means faster cure and so the finish reaches maximum toughness in a day or three vs a few weeks. Tougher finish also means harder to sand/rub though, so I usually use the middle of the road one, but the tougher one has more solids and needs fewer coats but you can’t build as thick of a finish or it will crack etc etc etc. There’s no perfect clear coat out there-they all have compromises. Another disadvantage imo of the precats is you do have to scuff sand between coats as they need some mechanical bonding, which nitrocellulose does not. I only scuff NC after the first and maybe 3rd coat to knock down any nibs, and that really saves a lot of time and honestly NC lacquers are plenty tough. It’s what’s every piece of factory furniture from 1920-1970 at least had on it, and it makes a beautiful finish.

I found this

https://www.alpinefinishes.com/prod...VOC/p/267548894

and placed an order. The 550VOC is still above the NY limit but if they ship it, I'm good. I had to do the same when I refinished some floors and wanted to use a nicer commercial grade oil based poly. Most of the online places don't seem to care. Idiots not wearing proper PPE ruining it for the rest of us.

This is why we can't have nice things...

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There are UV cured lacquers available too but I have never personally used them.

This showed up with s quick Google
https://www.solarez.com/product/i-cant-believe-its-not-lacquer-quart-only/

I just use NC lacquer cause it meets all my needs and is easy to spray and clean up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I swear every time I eyeball something all it does it prove my eyeballs are not good

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Numinous posted:

I found this

https://www.alpinefinishes.com/prod...VOC/p/267548894

and placed an order. The 550VOC is still above the NY limit but if they ship it, I'm good. I had to do the same when I refinished some floors and wanted to use a nicer commercial grade oil based poly. Most of the online places don't seem to care. Idiots not wearing proper PPE ruining it for the rest of us.

This is why we can't have nice things...
I’ve used the duracote stuff before and it’s not my favorite for a few reasons I’m really picky about (mostly color and how it rubs out), but it’s basically fine. I’d get a vinyl sanding sealer to put under it, but it may not need one-I can’t remember. Even if it doesn’t require a sanding sealer, it makes sanding all the trash under the first coat a ton easier.

Again, spray outside! Not in your garage with the door open-outside! My old boss’s first shop burned from a spark from turning the lights on igniting the spray room first thing in the morning from lacquer off-gassing overnight. It’s serious business.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve used the duracote stuff before and it’s not my favorite for a few reasons I’m really picky about (mostly color and how it rubs out), but it’s basically fine. I’d get a vinyl sanding sealer to put under it, but it may not need one-I can’t remember. Even if it doesn’t require a sanding sealer, it makes sanding all the trash under the first coat a ton easier.

Again, spray outside! Not in your garage with the door open-outside! My old boss’s first shop burned from a spark from turning the lights on igniting the spray room first thing in the morning from lacquer off-gassing overnight. It’s serious business.

Good advice on the sanding sealer. I will do that. I've got one of those popup spray shelters I set in my back yard. Put some cardboard down on the ground. Full paint suit, gloves, goggles, and organic respirator.

Not loving around with things that contain VOCs. I'll spray it outside, wait a couple hours, and then move it to my detached garage for a couple days before a second coat with the windows open and a box fan circulating.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I just tried to order some Baltic birch and they said don’t expect to see any until January, lol.

I've got three pieces of 3/4" 24"x30" baltic birch that I ordered from Rockler back in December that I was going to use to re-do my workbench surface but now it feels too valuable to use for that purpose.

Edit: Speaking of, it looks like Rockler has baltic birch in stock. It's expensive but might be good enough for your purposes.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Numinous posted:

Not loving around with things that contain VOCs. I'll spray it outside, wait a couple hours, and then move it to my detached garage for a couple days before a second coat with the windows open and a box fan circulating.

I wish you worked at my old job.

"we wanna spray two part epoxie."
"it will instantly give you cancer and you need a booth and a respirator."
"so, in the back with the door open (if it's not too cold), we'll keep the vent off because it squeaks and is annoying, I'll take a smoke break between coats."
"sure, as long as I'm out of the building when you do this."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Did some rustic outdoor carpentry today: made myself two barn doors for my hoop house! They're made of cedar planks that I got when my friend moved.

I'm super happy with them and it was a fun project. I might upgrade the hinges though, as those ones look a bit flimsy in context

E. It's square: the hoop house is on a slope

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 00:18 on May 18, 2021

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Did some rustic outdoor carpentry today: made myself two barn doors for my hoop house! They're made of cedar planks that I got when my friend moved.

I'm super happy with them and it was a fun project. I might upgrade the hinges though, as those ones look a bit flimsy in context

E. It's square: the hoop house is on a slope

That looks like it turned out great and let a nice amount of cross breeze through when you pull back the poly.

Now I'm looking forward to seeing the inside of it when you have all your plants taking over.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Does anyone have a favorite / preferred design for homemade shelf brackets? Brother in law is moving into a new apt in Brooklyn and is gonna be here this weekend. He's done a bunch of measurements and I was going to cut some plywood for shelving, route the edges, wood putty in any voids and sand it up for him to paint in the trim color (they are repainting the apt).

These are going to be installed into plaster and lath walls also.

I can just have him buy some brackets from the store, but I figure I can make some brackets also to save them some money since I have a ton of scrap wood that would probably be useful.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Does anyone have a favorite / preferred design for homemade shelf brackets? Brother in law is moving into a new apt in Brooklyn and is gonna be here this weekend. He's done a bunch of measurements and I was going to cut some plywood for shelving, route the edges, wood putty in any voids and sand it up for him to paint in the trim color (they are repainting the apt).

These are going to be installed into plaster and lath walls also.

I can just have him buy some brackets from the store, but I figure I can make some brackets also to save them some money since I have a ton of scrap wood that would probably be useful.

I'm pretty fond of this style, because there's no visible fasteners once the shelves are installed. But they do pretty much require custom fitting to achieve that, since the triangular pieces are glued/doweled to the shelf itself. You could use screws for that if you wanted, though, in which case they could easily be assembled on-site.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok the 66 inch birch ply + maple legs console table is almost finished. I just put the second coat of stain on it.

What type of finish should I do on top of the stain? BLO rubbed in with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper then beeswax, or a brushed and sanded laquer/shellac (I can't remember which of those two I have in my cupboard)

After that the projects are going to be shop organization/renovation work for the next while.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Just got a new set of the Narex Richter chisels. Flattening the backs of 7 chisels is not fun. They aren't egregiously unflat, but it's still taking 30 minutes per chisels to work through the coarsest grit. It's a shame too because they come mirror polished.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Just got a new set of the Narex Richter chisels. Flattening the backs of 7 chisels is not fun. They aren't egregiously unflat, but it's still taking 30 minutes per chisels to work through the coarsest grit. It's a shame too because they come mirror polished.
That the backs of chisels need to be perfectly flat is a lie perpetuated by the sharpening mafia IMO . The like, 1/4" right behind the edge should be pretty flat, but ehhh.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IMO the backs need to not be convex, but a little concavity between the sides is OK. Convex back won't let the chisel ride flat flush with a surface when you use one to eg. trim a dowel end or scrape off some proud glue drops. But also if it's really close to flat, that's good enough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I've been buying and restoring garage sale chisels that's my MO - flatten the bottom half inch or so and then lap it a few times each time I sharpen it after that

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

At the very least, the 1/4" behind the edge needs to be flat and up to the same grit as your bevel, purely because it's the other side of your cutting edge. Not-flat is a problem, but not flat and serrate/gouged/rounded over/etc is even more of a problem because you can literally never get the chisel sharp. A scratch on the back is a gouge in the cutting edge, regardless of how long you spend sharpening the bevel.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm new to wood working, but is 3/8in birch plywood supposed to remove teeth from a saw:

It was a cheap pull saw, but I didn't think it wouldn't make it though a single box.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Plywood is hard on saws because it contains a bunch of glue, which is hard. There are plywood-specific circular saw blades out there. I don't know if there are plywood hand saws though.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Plywood is also strong because they alternate the grain direction in the layers. So you're effectively ripping and cross cutting at the same time, which usually doesn't happen and leaves your saw teeth ill suited for half the work.

It's very possible that the layers are thin enough that this is a non-issue, I don't know. But I've tried to hand saw plywood and it sucks.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
That explains so much about my own experience, I thought I had just been securing it wrong or something. Thanks for this

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah plywood is a wonderful material but it really sucks to work with hand tools.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Plywood is hard on saws because it contains a bunch of glue, which is hard. There are plywood-specific circular saw blades out there. I don't know if there are plywood hand saws though.

I use a handsaw with like this with "triple ground teeth" and it works pretty good on plywood.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...20293901&ipos=3

"Triple Ground Teeth that cut on both the push and pull stroke to achieve coarse cut speed, fine cut finish and ease of start"

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Yeah, thanks for these answers, makes a lot of sense. I have an old circular saw lying around, guess it's time to learn how to use it.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Serenade posted:

Yeah, thanks for these answers, makes a lot of sense. I have an old circular saw lying around, guess it's time to learn how to use it.

Keep your non-saw trigger hand on the top handle of the saw please.

Digital amputation via circular saw is the #1 emergency room visit.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Lee valley makes a hand saw they say is specifically for plywood
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/hand-tools/saws/japanese/32939-japanese-plywood-saw

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The saw in the picture has really fine teeth. If you want to use a handsaw, I think a cheap hardware store crosscut saw would probably do well enough, especially if it's "good" plywood and not like, construction grade sheets. You'll probably get rough edges but can clean that up with a plane or just hide them in joinery. Or maybe score the veneer with a knife to get a cleaner cut.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I use one of these for small jobs. It's awesome for 1/4 and 1/2 but 3/4 starts to become a chore. It's doable but if you had to like rip down an 8' sheet of 3/4 ply I'd just get a power tool in the end.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Yeah plywood is a wonderful material but it really sucks to work with hand tools.

Which is ironic, since plywood was used in ancient Egypt thousands of years ago.

"Welp, Hosphenat, we've got this mighty fine idea, but I reckon we'll have to wait until the Dog Star Sirius moves 2 cubits, when mankind figure out how to use these things "nods toward battery jars" and build tools with teeth that are, hehe, get this, harder than steel. bwahahaahsphetah!"

/The FarSide

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Grizzly's giving me a full refund on the bandsaw order :toot: Even the stuff that actually showed up and is fine, so free featherboards and heavy duty mobile base! All it cost was an incredible amount of my time.

The smaller fancier powermatic one is now "shipped" as of earlier this week but with absolutely no shipping information other than it should be here by June 2nd. Which carrier has it? Will it show up ok? Will it show up at all?? Life is full of mysteries

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Visited an antique mall outside Columbus OH, walked away with a dope wooden skew rabbet plane, a mortise gauge, and a ball peen hammer.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ohhhh poo poo

yeah I hate paying "boutique antique store" prices for tools that are being sold as decorative objects but gently caress me I do it anyway, a place like that would have allll my money

e. that frame saw, and those planes, and lookit all those cool drawknives, and and and

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah they wanted 40 to 50 bucks for the draw knives, regardless of condition. I think they look too cool as wall decoration. Hammers were 5 to 10, the molding planes were 10 to 15 (from the Ohio Tool Company). Every hand saw I came across had a bent plate. There was a mint condition Disston that had an unpunched plate i.e. no teeth. No idea if that's rare or valuable.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I'm done my lathe stand, complete overkill, but that's what I was going for. Cherry with spalted chenchen panels/drawers, the top is an old piece of bowling alley. It's finished with Osmo oil.

In the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Holy smokes. That's good enough to live in the house, and that shop is clean as hell.