Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ah well, I tried. I liked the concept of Aran’gar as another errant force like Slayer that no one really knows about, but as people have mentioned not inherently necessary for the story.

Agreed, I like Arangar as a concept. That said, I think there are other ways to show that weird stuff shows up that doesn't play by the Pattern's rules that doesn't rely on or exacerbate transphobia.

I don't think it was anything malicious on RJ's part and I like to think that if he was still alive maybe he'd have written something to clarify the whole situation that didn't leave it so open to being interpreted as aligned with open bigotry. But he's not, trying to stick the landing on adapting Arangar into the series will be very hard to pull off, and there are plenty of other options - flip the gender of the one of the male Forsaken to be female, have the reincarnated Forsaken be in the gender appropriate bodies but their weaves are "invisible" because of the DO, etc.

Ultimately this isn't one of those things that will make or break the series, if it even makes it that far into the storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

There’s no reason a guy couldn’t just illusion themselves a woman. There weren’t any Sadin dudes to see them using ~The Power~.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The whole plot point is dumb. It happens after Jordan has explicitly shown both the capability to totally mask the ability to channel/whether you're holding the source, as well as inverting weaves to make them invisible to anyone but their creator. It doesn't need to exist.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It probably won’t ever get there but I wanna really wanna see Demandred in coin armor yelling for Rand to show his stupid face. There’s some very bad fanart of this (why does it all have to be so badddddd?)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

does the old fps game for wheel of time count as fanart, too. it sure seems like it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Invalid Validation posted:

It probably won’t ever get there but I wanna really wanna see Demandred in coin armor yelling for Rand to show his stupid face. There’s some very bad fanart of this (why does it all have to be so badddddd?)

Hell yeah. Demandred screaming across the battlefield FACE ME LEWS THERIN over and over, everyone at the battlefield going "jesus dude would you let it rest?" A parade of challengers faces Demandred and falls as he insists LEWS THERIN YOU ARE A COWARD FOR SENDING THESE WEAKLINGS. Rand is barely aware as he contests Shaitan directly.

Enter: Lan.

Lan posted:

You didn't listen to me.

I did not come here to win.

I came here to kill you.
God, I love Lan.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

The best part of that whole exchange is Lan's internal monologue saying 'I'm not gonna beat him in a stand up fight BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING A WAR FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW'

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The best part of that whole exchange is Lan's internal monologue saying 'I'm not gonna beat him in a stand up fight BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING A WAR FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW'

As March 2020 continues to drag on, I feel Lan had a point.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
lan / demandred fight needed more cheesy one liners

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Mat Cauthon posted:

Agreed, I like Arangar as a concept. That said, I think there are other ways to show that weird stuff shows up that doesn't play by the Pattern's rules that doesn't rely on or exacerbate transphobia.

I don't think it was anything malicious on RJ's part and I like to think that if he was still alive maybe he'd have written something to clarify the whole situation that didn't leave it so open to being interpreted as aligned with open bigotry. But he's not, trying to stick the landing on adapting Arangar into the series will be very hard to pull off, and there are plenty of other options - flip the gender of the one of the male Forsaken to be female, have the reincarnated Forsaken be in the gender appropriate bodies but their weaves are "invisible" because of the DO, etc.

Ultimately this isn't one of those things that will make or break the series, if it even makes it that far into the storyline.

It all comes to the power being tied to gender essentialism. The only way to fix things about transgenerism is to decouple gender from which power is used - maybe let aggressive people use saidin, compliant people use saidar regardless of sex - but then if it's not tied to gender then there's no way to have a secret double agent infiltrator be a surprise just by looks.

Invalid Validation posted:

There’s no reason a guy couldn’t just illusion themselves a woman. There weren’t any Sadin dudes to see them using ~The Power~.

This is basically the only non-lovely way to keep it - there's a male channeling infiltrator because only they cause that pain, but only women are around ... someone is disguised (but not actually trans). Unless you add tons of trans characters and only one of them is a bad guy.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yeah I'm not sure a male villain masquerading as a woman so he can creep on people in their private spaces is really a good look either. Would much prefer they just left that whole thing out. On the plus side though, if they even get far enough to have to address the issue that means we'll have gotten at least a couple season of show!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd still be amazed if we even got to the point where Aran'gar would make an appearance, if they don't cancel the show before that it would be quite the success. That said, just leave that particular plot point out. As others have said, it's not really important in the grand scheme of things, and the one thing that was important (freeing Moghedien) can be done by some other darkfriend, or by Shaidar Haran. This particular plot is not salvageable, period.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Inspector 34 posted:

Yeah I'm not sure a male villain masquerading as a woman so he can creep on people in their private spaces is really a good look either.

At least it would be consistent with this behavior being villainous, and being done by an objectively bad person.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
For sure, but it's also a narrative used to discriminate against trans people, which is more what I was trying to imply. From the "not really a woman" part right to "they just want to peek at young ladies in the bathroom". Not really something we need in our entertainment media.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Inspector 34 posted:

For sure, but it's also a narrative used to discriminate against trans people, which is more what I was trying to imply. From the "not really a woman" part right to "they just want to peek at young ladies in the bathroom". Not really something we need in our entertainment media.

There's also some weird autogynaphilia stuff going on with it, where they are really into being a sexy woman and yeah it's basically like every transphobic trope when you consider the gender essentialism of the source as well.

Which is still something that is just awkward these days but is genuinely fundamental to the setting as is. You can't have women accessing Saidin because then you have to deal with the taint and all that.

Well...i guess you could say that it is possible they just didn't understand how to until after its cleansed and you have someone learn it like how Nynaeve learned to heal stilling and the madness. Why not? Let everything be permitted.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005
Idk, it doesn't seem like such an intractable problem to me. You decide if it's determined by sex or gender and go with that.

If it's sex then the person channels whatever is appropriate based on what they were assigned at birth. Trans men channel Saidar, trans women channel Saidin. If you wanted to go real strong with the metaphor, you could have a gender confirmation weave, though such a thing would almost certainly be handled poorly and would best be left out.

If it's gender then the person channels whatever is appropriate based on their gender. Trans men channel Saidin, trans women channel Saidar. Of significant importance would be that it doesn't change. Trans men aren't women who become men, they are men and they channel like other men do.

Personally, I think the first would be better. You avoid having nerds trying to use channeling as a trans-detection power and there's no reason to think the True Source would be bound by social constructs.

Regardless, what they for sure shouldn't do is have the entirety of the trans representation on the show be a single character that's a man who was put into a woman's body as a punishment, who then uses that woman's body to go unnoticed in women's spaces and spy on them. Like there's know way RJ could have known, but drat if that didn't age like milk.

Honestly, given the strength of gender roles in the WoT in general, which power they channel would be the afterthought. In the story of an AMAB Aiel becoming a Wise One, whether they channel Saidin or Saidar is way less interesting than the conflict of people not wanting to properly ask them for leave to enter a hold.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I don't think the series will make it to arangar. If it does I'll be pleasantly surprised and hope they just cut it out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure they will, most of the forsaken can be purged since they do nothing. More than likely they just combine a bunch of them.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
There's so much money poured into this series and a second season ordered already. It would have to be a pretty big flop for them not to keep it going it feels like to me. Amazon is really trying for a hit with this series and it'd be embarrassing for any vp to admit fault and cancel the series.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Lets be honest, how they decide to handle trans representation and how it relates to channeling isn't going to make or break the show for the average viewer. It's probably not even a blip on the average viewers radar. Hopefully they just cut arangar for all the reasons mentioned upthread.

Things that will matter to the average (non-book reader) viewer:

Do the Dragon Ball Z magic fight scenes look awesome? y/n

Tits? y/n

Swords and gore? Did Lan chop a head off yet this scene? y/n

Good acting, writing? y/n

Is Bela the Creator? y/n

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Per earlier conversation (like maybe a year ago? year and a half?), on this point:

th3t00t posted:

Tits? y/n

I strongly support equal sexualization of men and women. I don't think it's possible to tone down sexualization of women, so I support intense sexualization of all the male characters.

Especially Rand. There are several points in the series that I think are best explained by "Rand is very good looking." (It's my explanation for his relationship with Elayne: they're both incredibly hot idiots who met when 17-19.)

And by god, whoever they cast for Galad should make me question my own sexuality. Otherwise, it's poor casting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i'm sure there's a spare Hemsworth brother to be galad right

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Was it true that Robert Jordan only offered film rights to Wheel of Time with a "no male nudity" clause or was that just an urban legend I heard once?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Colonel Cool posted:

Was it true that Robert Jordan only offered film rights to Wheel of Time with a "no male nudity" clause or was that just an urban legend I heard once?

I've never heard that before. It would be pretty weird, especially since the current Wheel of Time negotiations were entirely with the estate -- the prior rights relapsed I believe (hence that whole weird rear end pilot that got aired).

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
One of the reasons superhero movies do so well in my circle is the frequent male beefcake. Thor, Cap, Batman, Supes, Aquaman.

I don't know that Amazon would send the WoT cast through the 300 muscle process, though.

I guess what I'm saying is, bring in Jason Momoa as Rhuarc and we're good.

e: Affleck as Bael.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 18, 2021

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Savvy producers are going to have plenty of male chest and shoulders on display, and canonically mat is going to get to wear the most amazing outfits as the series progresses. I'm sure the crowd of folks who enjoy looking at beefcake will have plenty to appreciate.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure you’ll get a lot of pretty Canadian actors though!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

Per earlier conversation (like maybe a year ago? year and a half?), on this point:

I strongly support equal sexualization of men and women. I don't think it's possible to tone down sexualization of women, so I support intense sexualization of all the male characters.

Especially Rand. There are several points in the series that I think are best explained by "Rand is very good looking." (It's my explanation for his relationship with Elayne: they're both incredibly hot idiots who met when 17-19.)

And by god, whoever they cast for Galad should make me question my own sexuality. Otherwise, it's poor casting.
Haha. Very true. I'm sure the male characters will be shirtless on camera as often as possible, just like GOT.

I amend my earlier proposal:

Tits? Lots of shots of the male characters well turned calves? y/n

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
RJ seems like he was a pretty horny guy so i reckon he'd be ok with a horny TV series. Give the people what they want!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

e: this is not the brandon sanderson thread :v:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

I change my mind.

Affleck as Gareth Bryne.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

One of the reasons superhero movies do so well in my circle is the frequent male beefcake. Thor, Cap, Batman, Supes, Aquaman.

I don't know that Amazon would send the WoT cast through the 300 muscle process, though.

Adam Beach as Gaul
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0063440/

I picture Galad as someone like Cole Sprause or Timothee Chalamet, but with a Brad Pitt in Fight Club level of muscle.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I've listened to the audiobooks so much it'll be jarring not to have everyone sound like Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You fool.

Bale as Bael.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pleads posted:

I've listened to the audiobooks so much it'll be jarring not to have everyone sound like Michael Kramer and Kate Reading.

Yeah...

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You fool.

Bale as Bael.

Bael is the tallest man anyone sees in Randland, so nah. Bring back Ian Whyte - he was too skinny for The Mountain but he'd make a good Aiel.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yes, but then you miss out on the awkward silence when someone says "here, meet Bael" and he steps into frame.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yes, but then you miss out on the awkward silence when someone says "here, meet Bael" and he steps into frame.

Bale would probably walk around on stilts for a year to prepare for the role too. Ok, you've sold me.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I just want some good Forsaken actors. Ishamael, Graendal, and Demandred should be outright devouring the scenery in every scene. Maybe Jeremy Irons for Ishamael?

edit: Apparently they wrapped filming for Season 1.

TURTLE SLUT fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Mark Strong channelling his Lord Blackwood performance.