  • Post
Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Silly Newbie posted:

Oh hey, the end of the second Fencer book by KJ Parker
what the gently caress

Edit to be less low content
was there something I missed in the first two books that made Bardas seem at all capable of that?

Think of it this way: in the first two books Bardas is presented as someone with a normal system of morals and ethics well within the baseline of his society, while his brother Gorgas is a sociopath. At the end of The Belly of the Bow, Bardas learns that his brother was not only responsible for the sack of Perimadeia, he had done so as part of a series of manipulations to get the family back together. Bardas, seeing the untold death and destruction Gorgas has wrought with his actions, decides that Gorgas needs to face some sort of punishment for his crime, and thus set his mind to hurting his brother in the most personal, intimate manner possible. Unfortunately, since Gorgas is a sociopath, the act means nothing to him, and he forgives Bardas. I see the that part of the story as a comparison of the evils committed by the moral and amoral. Cold utilitarian calculation can destroy millions in the name of accomplishing an objective, but passions and ideals of traditional morality can foster exquisite cruelties in the name of righteousness.

I suppose that also gets to the Parkerian absurdity at the heart of the Fencer trilogy. To paraphrase Farah Mendelson in her Rhetorics of Fantasy, by the end of the trilogy millions have been killed and displaced, great cities have been laid to ruin, the entire history of the world has been changed forever...all so one brother can make up a family quarrel with another. And it doesn't even work.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Marshal Radisic posted:

[...]

From what we know of his time in the military, Bardas was involved in the slaughter of non-combatants. He wasn't going around indiscriminately killing for fun, but he had shown himself to have little compunction about getting involved in killing innocents when it's judged as being needed.. Hell, his career as of the time we're introduced to him in the books is legally fighting people to the death for money.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 12:04 on May 19, 2021

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Little help please goons. My dad's birthday is coming up and he likes sci fi books of pretty much all kinds so I'm not picky. As I cant really read the whole thread what's some of your fav sci fi released in say the last 18 months as he hasnt really put anything new onto his kindle in a while. Can be anything as dense as Dune or light like The Martian. Thanks.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

Little help please goons. My dad's birthday is coming up and he likes sci fi books of pretty much all kinds so I'm not picky. As I cant really read the whole thread what's some of your fav sci fi released in say the last 18 months as he hasnt really put anything new onto his kindle in a while. Can be anything as dense as Dune or light like The Martian. Thanks.

The Murderbot Diaries.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Gats Akimbo posted:

Have you read the 3 post-trilogy books?

Nah, are they worth checking out? Was feeling a little tired of austere greatness by the end of the of the series.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

pradmer posted:

Lilith's Brood: The Complete Xenogenesis Trilogy by Octavia E Butler - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HALOMI/

I heard through the first two of the audiobooks of this trilogy. It wasn't good and will probably be one of the rare cases, where I stop before finishing a series.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I finished Project Hail Mary, the new Andy Weir book.

I'd say it was pretty good. It's still a lot of competence porn, with a different scope and some more sci-fiey elements.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

ToxicFrog posted:

The Murderbot Diaries.

This looks great thanks. If anyone has any other suggestions for good recent sci fi please share :)

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Best Served Cold (First Law) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GUK7JQ/

Dark Matter by Blake Crouch - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0180T0IUY/

King of Thorns (Broken Empire #2) by Mark Lawrence - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0072NWJ3Y/

Skyward by Brandon Sanderson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJLB5LY/

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007UH4D3G/

Red Rising by Pierce Brown - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CVS2J80/

Skin Game (Dresden Files #15) by Jim Butcher - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HUVUSZ4/

Eragon (Inheritance #1) by Christopher Paolini - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBJCK8/

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Just Chamber posted:

Little help please goons. My dad's birthday is coming up and he likes sci fi books of pretty much all kinds so I'm not picky. As I cant really read the whole thread what's some of your fav sci fi released in say the last 18 months as he hasnt really put anything new onto his kindle in a while. Can be anything as dense as Dune or light like The Martian. Thanks.

A Memory Called Empire was published in 2019. It's also very good. If he somehow has read that already: the sequel was published March 2021.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Optional Retirement Plan by Chris pourteau was pretty good.

Basic plot is a hitman on the moon starts accidently spoiling secrets he shouldn't because of a brain problem, gets a hit put out on him, decides that he doesn't appreciate it and proceeds to make his feelings known.

There Is No Antimemetics Division was pretty good too. It's scp fiction basically. Great read though if he's into that. I loved it.

The Arcadian series by Greig Beck is pretty cool. It's like if Captain America was shot in the head instead of given mega steroids, and gained weird rear end abilities and fought weird poo poo ranging from Lovecraftian monsters to a crazy Iranian leader who figured it how to make black holes as a wmd. Sci Fi but not in space.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

There Is No Antimemetics Division was pretty good too. It's scp fiction basically. Great read though if he's into that. I loved it.

I was gonna recommend this and their book Ra as well. Good stuff.

I'm halfway through Steel Frame and that's pretty good so far

mllaneza

tokenbrownguy posted:

Nah, are they worth checking out? Was feeling a little tired of austere greatness by the end of the of the series.

They get much less austere and more human.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

A friend of mine recently asked:

"I read every book ever released about WoW, and I also read The Forgotten Realms books about Drizzt, and I'm looking for some good dark high fantasy like that. If you have any suggestions"

so here's my big ol' list, in case anyone else wants recs that might be in this vein. I don't have the :effort: to tidy this up from a discord chat log sorry.

Black Company: a long-running dark fantasy series about a mercenary company that gets tangled up in the affairs of dark wizards. Great stuff.

Quite a few pages back and a long time ago but wanted to say thanks for this, I was looking for a series in this vein and am enjoying the Black Company books.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

squirrelzipper posted:

Quite a few pages back and a long time ago but wanted to say thanks for this, I was looking for a series in this vein and am enjoying the Black Company books.

:cheers:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Black company is one of my all time favorites but I'd recommend that after book three or four you implement dune rules

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Just Chamber posted:

This looks great thanks. If anyone has any other suggestions for good recent sci fi please share :)

The light brigade by Hurley for recent stuff

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SFL Archives Vol 21a has been good.

There is so many discussion threads in it SFL Archives Vol 21a that deserve reposting in full, from the GRRM being extremely mad about SLIDERS, the people posting about a 1990's bi-monthly rave slash BDSM themed SFF convention, to more Daniel Keys Moran stupidity cropping up, other non-SFF rave convention drama, to a heated discussion about 1990's fandom that is kicked off by the resident TOR book editor in the SFL Archives using the scarlet A word (autism) to describe SFF convention goers/SFF fandom culture.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Black company is one of my all time favorites but I'd recommend that after book three or four you implement dune rules

Oh and for the love of god, skip Port of Shadows.

Though I like some of the later books

Major Ryan
May 11, 2008

Completely blank

Walh Hara posted:

A Memory Called Empire was published in 2019. It's also very good. If he somehow has read that already: the sequel was published March 2021.

It's my favourite newly released ongoing series, I'd recommend it to anyone who's looking for good sci fi. There's good world building, the characters aren't made of cardboard and there's a good blend of action and intrigue so it'll likely do something for the reader even if you usually only read one or the other.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

tokenbrownguy posted:

Nah, are they worth checking out? Was feeling a little tired of austere greatness by the end of the of the series.

Like mllaneza says they get a lot less like that at that point. Tehanu is "retired ex-wizard trying to figure out non-celibate relationships and deal with his gf's adopted daughter's abusive psycho family", Tales of Earthsea is some fun short stories (well, apart from Dragonfly because my god Irian is boring) and The Other Wind is, well, let's say enjoyed by people who aren't me. (Though I do like Seserakh.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Earthsea is like Dune, when the fun stops stop.

UK readers: a reminder that The Tyrant Baru Cormorant is now out in physical form on the correct side of the pond.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

So Kentaro Miura, creator of the most impressively illustrated fantasy comic Berserk, died this month. His work influenced everything from Final Fantasy 7 to Dark Souls to Avengers Endgame to Between Two Fires, etc, etc.

If you like fantasy I highly recommend checking out his illustrations.

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Jedit posted:

Earthsea is like Dune, when the fun stops stop.

UK readers: a reminder that The Tyrant Baru Cormorant is now out in physical form on the correct side of the pond.

I was irrationally upset when I saw they had been released in the UK but the book names were missing "Baru Cormorant" and the cover art for them screams "generic fantasy novel" instead of the cool stuff it was originally

(haven't read any of them but I will soon I promise)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

Earthsea is like Dune, when the fun stops stop.

UK readers: a reminder that The Tyrant Baru Cormorant is now out in physical form on the correct side of the pond.

This has been true since August 11th, 2020 though?

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
https://twitter.com/craig_schaefer/status/1394672835457699848

craig...

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Matter (Culture #7) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VMHI98/

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQRWAA/

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh and for the love of god, skip Port of Shadows.

Though I like some of the later books

Didn't know that port of shadows was a thing tbh.

And yeah I read the whole story and finished it but some of the Sleepy parts... Sheeesh

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

It’s been a few months, I was wondering what was up.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

------------------------------

Date: 22 Apr 1996 17:30:17 -0500
From: kecooper@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Karen E Cooper)
Subject: [FANHIST] Changes in Fannish Culture

These questions are primarily for the oldtimers and history-minded among
us, although everyone should feel free to discuss (like I could stop you):

Has Fandom always been a place where people who are "different" can come
together and find acceptance?

Or is it more accurate to say that Fandom is where there are interesting
people and ideas?

Is the fannish openness to alternative lifestyles a core value of Fandom,
or is it merely a consequence of having about the sorts of people to are
attracted to Fandom?

Karen

------------------------------

Date: 22 Apr 1996 20:04:49 -0400
From: pnh@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden)
Subject: Re: [FANHIST] Changes in Fannish Culture

Karen E Cooper (kecooper@maroon.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
>Has Fandom always been a place where people who are "different" can come
>together and find acceptance?

Fandom has always been a place where _some_ people who are "different" can
find acceptance. "Difference," per se, is not enough.

>Or is it more accurate to say that Fandom is where there are interesting
>people and ideas?

"Science fiction is a literature of ideas. About three of them." - Anne
Laurie Logan

>Is the fannish openness to alternative lifestyles a core value of Fandom,
>or is it merely a consequence of having about the sorts of people to are
>attracted to Fandom?

The latter, I'd say. Fandom is a particular cohort, a place where some
particular communities overlap. It isn't an ideology.

Patrick Nielsen Hayden
pnh@tor.com

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 1996 06:25:27 GMT
From: cyohtee <cyohtee@tezcat.com>

I believe that, in general, our ability to enjoy Science Fiction and
Fantasy better facilitates our ability to accept people who are different
than we are. There are very few Xenophobes who would ever want to read
Science Fiction or Fantasy. Spirits forbid they would have to contemplate
the horrors of an alien species or a Centaur. Thus, we are already more
open to accept those with alternative lifestyles. If we can accept Blue Men
from Zaltar, then we can easily accept the far more mundane concepts
(comparatively) of Homosexuals, crossdressers, nerds, geeks, blacks whites,
Satanists, pagans, etc..

The Fannish Community is an open, friendly place for the most part. Yes we
have our share of "Idiot Cousins", bigots and assholes, but for the most
part if you are willing to accept us for what we are we will accept you for
what you are too.

I don't know if I qualify as an old-timer or not. I have only been
attending conventions for about 19 years, and there are people who have
been around a lot longer than me.

As for whether Fandom is more accepting of people who are "Different" or
whether Fandom is where the interesting and intelligent people are, I would
have to say... BOTH. It all depends on your point of view.

cyohtee@tezcat.com

------------------------------

Date: 23 Apr 1996 10:01:34 -0400
From: hlavaty@panix.com (Arthur Hlavaty)

Karen E Cooper (kecooper@maroon.tc.umn.edu) wrote:
>Has Fandom always been a place where people who are "different" can come
>together and find acceptance?
[...]
>Or is it more accurate to say that Fandom is where there are interesting
>people and ideas?

It's a combination of these. To me the ideal of fandom is that it is a
society which places a premium on interesting ideas to the point of being
willing to ignore difference in race, creed, nationality, sexual
preference, appearance, table manners, etc..

Arthur D. Hlavaty
hlavaty@panix.com

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:38:48 -0600
From: romm@winternet.com (David E Romm)

kecooper@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Karen E Cooper) wrote:
>Has Fandom always been a place where people who are "different" can come
>together and find acceptance?

No. Fandom has its own subculture, and within the subculture the rules can
be very strict. There are few set rules, but we can tell when someone has
Trangressed The Unwritten Law.

The flip site to that is that fannish rules are not the same as mundane
rules. If you're different _from society_, that will not be held against
you. Much.

>Or is it more accurate to say that Fandom is where there are interesting
>people and ideas?

They're interesting to me. That's all that really matters... to me.

>Is the fannish openness to alternative lifestyles a core value of Fandom,
>or is it merely a consequence of having about the sorts of people to are
>attracted to Fandom?

We're not all that open to alternative lifestyles, actually. How many
blacks/hispanics/asians are there in fandom? How many Lutheran housewives
(ala the reunion in the same hotel at a 4th St. years ago)? How many BMX
Bikers, Debaters, HS Football coaches, Amway dealers, politicians or
insurance salesmen? We don't deal with Act-up or PETA or Operation Rescue.
If a fan is involved with any of these, their 'mundane' life will be
subsumed into their fannish life, at least around other fen.

Fandom is a meritocracy, within certain bounds of what will generate
egoboo. Selling $1,000,000 worth of insurance won't generate egoboo, but
writing about hitchhiking to a con will.

Fandom is open in many respects, and closed in others. I don't have a
problem with this. There are other subcultures that are a lot of fun for
its believers.

------------------------------

Date: 24 Apr 1996 22:05:25 -0400
From: nancyl@universe.digex.net (Nancy Lebovitz)

Karen E Cooper <kecooper@maroon.tc.umn.edu> wrote:
>Has Fandom always been a place where people who are "different" can come
>together and find acceptance?

I suspect it's a rather specific kind of differentness rather than
differentness in general, but fandom's been a haven for *something* at
least since the early seventies, which is when I got into it.

>Or is it more accurate to say that Fandom is where there are interesting
>people and ideas?

Both.

>Is the fannish openness to alternative lifestyles a core value of Fandom,
>or is it merely a consequence of having about the sorts of people to are
>attracted to Fandom?

I think it's a consequence and I also believe that fandom is shaped by
being essentially a hedonist sub-culture.

Nancy Lebovitz
nancyL@universe.digex.net

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 1996 04:06:26 GMT
From: kathbob@ix.netcom.com (Robert J. Berlien/Kathryn J. Routliffe)

And the discussion's going nicely. I'd just like to add that I can usually
spot a fan when I see or speak with one. Modes of dress, even speech
patterns are indicators.

When I was working in retail I'd often buttonhole customers I suspected of
being fen and ask them if they indeed were. I was right about 85% of the
time; sometimes the answer has been "Yeah! How'dja Know?" Sometimes it's
"Yes, I read SF... Conventions? No, never been to one." I can spot fen who
don't know they're fen.

Bob Berlien
kathbob@ix.netcom.com

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 1996 06:54:18 -0400
From: pnh@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden)

I've had the same experience. What's disturbing is that, whatever it is
that sets off my radar in this regard, I get exactly the same signal from
adult, life-functional borderline autistics.

Well, autism is a disorder in which one of the symtoms is great difficulty
grasping the social rules by which others operate. And science fiction and
fantasy stories have a tendency to be stories in which the rules of the
world at hand are carefully, and fairly explicitly, spelled out.

I'm not seriously asserting that fandom is a condition of extremely mild
borderline autism. But it's spooky how far you can go with the assertion,
and how much sense it keeps making. Particularly at 2 am in the con suite,
when you're surrounded by people who have obvious difficulty modulating
their voices, who move strangely, who don't seem to quite inhabit their
bodies or be comfortable with touch, and yet who are obviously also
benevolent and intelligent and functional.

This is the kind of assertion that always provokes lots of literal-minded
counterargument on Usenet. Instead of thrashing about with whether it's
literally true (since it probably isn't), can we take it as a jumping-off
point for discussing the observation that there really do seem to be
identifiable "fan" behavior patterns, like (for instance) the extremely
common "fannish accent" of poorly modulated, slightly quacking speech? And
discuss why this might be the case?

Patrick Nielsen Hayden
pnh@tor.com

------------------------------
1,,
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 09:07:36 -0400
From: Saul Jaffe (The Moderator) <sf-lovers-request@rutgers.edu>
To: SFLOVERS-RECIPIENTS
Subject: SF-LOVERS Digest V21 #191

*** EOOH ***
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 09:07:36 -0400
From: Saul Jaffe (The Moderator) <sf-lovers-request@rutgers.edu>
To: SFLOVERS-RECIPIENTS

SF-LOVERS Digest Wednesday, 15 May 1996 Volume 21 : Issue 191

Today's Topics:

Miscellaneous - Fannish Culture (11 msgs)

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 96 11:50:51 GMT
From: awnbreel@panix.com (Michael R Weholt)

pnh@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>... can we take it as a jumping-off point for discussing the observation
>that there really do seem to be identifiable "fan" behavior patterns, like
>(for instance) the extremely common "fannish accent" of poorly modulated,
>slightly quacking speech? And discuss why this might be the case?

It's so funny you should mention this. A while back I heard that
Octavia Butler was going to be interviewed on WNYC here and, as I like her
work, I tuned in with Anticipation (Bated Breath being busy that day).
Anyway, when the interview began I was stunned, *stunned* to hear her
speaking in what I would call the quintessential "Fannish Accent". I don't
know why this so thoroughly surprised me, but I remember thinking at the
time, wow, there really *is* an accent among SF fans. Course, I've never
been to a con so what might seem obvious to you'all came as a minor
epiphany to me.

I can't really account for it, and I don't mean to insult anybody, but I
do remember pondering the question specifically while listening carefully
to the accent. It feels to me like there is a tremendous amount of
"consideration" going on behind the words ... a tremendous amount of
weighing the possible effects of what one is about to say. Will it be
regarded as witty? Informed? Old-hat? Granted, in the case at bar,
Ms. Butler was being interviewed on the radio so, of course, she was giving
great consideration to her words, but maybe that serves to explain rather
than taint the evidence. I.e., maybe the accent comes from the fact that
the people who "have it" feel as if they are always being interviewed, or
that there is some heightened level of performance going on. In any case,
it seems extremely "self-aware" to me, or perhaps "heavily copy-edited on
the fly". The other thing I noticed, over and over, was that "verbal tic"
that comes whenever one ventures a joke: one slips in the bon mot, then
immediately slips in after it a small and quick "but, uh ... " or something
similar, followed by a quick sniffing up of the surrounding air that seems
to signal "I'm willing to take this joke back if it's not funny", or
(should the auditor find the remark amusing) it functions as a verbal
"tophat", ba-ding-boom.

But, uh ... (*sniff*) ...

Michael R Weholt
awnbreel@panix.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:37:15 +0800
From: Leigh Edmonds <ledmonds@echidna.cowan.edu.au>

On 23 Apr 1996, Arthur Hlavaty wrote:
>To me the ideal of fandom is that it is a society which places a premium
>on interesting ideas to the point of being willing to ignore difference in
>race, creed, nationality, sexual preference, appearance, table manners,
>etc.

I don't know if I'm willing to pass on table manners...

In reality, while fandom likes to think that it has no cultural biases you
only have to look at the people who go to conventions to see what the rules
of entry and behaviour are. They might not be middle-America values, but
they are offshoots of it.

Leigh Edmonds

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 1996 16:04:50 GMT
From: janiceg@Eng.Sun.COM (Janice Gelb)

I'd like to throw another observation into the pot: I think many fans have
a problem judging personal space - that is, they tend to get much closer
while speaking to another person than is the norm.

As for *why* there might be identifiable and common traits, that's
certainly a lot tougher than identifying them. I think it might be the same
conundrum as we observe here in Silicon Valley about Marketing people: are
there certain personality types who are drawn to being suits, or is it that
once you become a suit, you develop certain personality traits to fit in?

Janice Gelb
janiceg@marvin.eng.sun.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:50:22 GMT
From: aahz@netcom.com (Mean Green Dancing Machine)

Janice Gelb <janiceg@Eng.Sun.COM> wrote:
>As for *why* there might be identifiable and common traits, that's
>certainly a lot tougher than identifying them. I think it might be the
>same conundrum as we observe here in Silicon Valley about Marketing
>people: are there certain personality types who are drawn to being suits,
>or is it that once you become a suit, you develop certain personality
>traits to fit in?

Judging by the several tech support people I know who've moved into
marketing/sales, I think it's a bit of both.

Aahz@netcom.com

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 1996 20:43:16 GMT
From: nrider@us.oracle.com (Anne B. "Nonie" Rider)

romm@winternet.com (David E Romm) wrote:
>We're not all that open to alternative lifestyles, actually. How many
>blacks/hispanics/asians are there in fandom?

As many as were interested in it, last I knew. I certainly know plenty of
all three, but you're right they're not in proportion to the rest of
society.

It's not that fandom is hostile to these groups, at least where I've
been. It's that fandom just doesn't care one way or the other.

Some ethnic folks just aren't attracted to fandom and its interests in the
first place. Others are put off when their special interests aren't
addressed. I've seen the same happen in gaming.

Overall, fandom is friendly if you're primarily interested in fandom, at
least while you're there. It's not that friendly to folks who want to focus
on active politics (except as concerns electronic freedom), religion
(especially non-pagan), or hobbies that don't overlap with fannish
interests.

Hmmm. Twenty years ago, I'm not sure I'd have predicted the punk, piercing,
or leather crowds, although they do tie in with some of fandom's fondness
for costumes and shock value. I wonder what the trends will be in the next
few decades?

I can see it now: panels on "Fandom and Carpentry," "Women with
One-Syllable Names in SF," and a deep fascination with liquid-filled
watchbands.

Nonie

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 18:25:18 -0600
From: romm@winternet.com (David E Romm)

kathbob@ix.netcom.com(Robert J. Berlien/Kathryn J. Routliffe) wrote:
>I'd just like to add that I can usually spot a fan when I see or speak
>with one. Modes of dress, even speech patterns are indicators.

Yes, but that works for many groups. A little knowledge of NLP helps;
watch the eyes. Being into massage, I look at posture and arm movements
for clues.

Fans tend to be high self-monitors, and yet are curious about their
environment as they wander through life. I'm not sure I could describe
what to look for subjectively.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 22:53:53 GMT
From: alison@fuggles.demon.co.uk (Alison Scott)

pnh@panix.com (P Nielsen Hayden) wrote:
>I've had the same experience. What's disturbing is that, whatever it is
>that sets off my radar in this regard, I get exactly the same signal from
>adult, life-functional borderline autistics.
>
>Well, autism is a disorder in which one of the symtoms is great difficulty
>grasping the social rules by which others operate. And science fiction
>and fantasy stories have a tendency to be stories in which the rules of
>the world at hand are carefully, and fairly explicitly, spelled out.
>
>I'm not seriously asserting that fandom is a condition of extremely mild
>borderline autism. But it's spooky how far you can go with the assertion,
>and how much sense it keeps making. Particularly at 2 am in the con
>suite, when you're surrounded by people who have obvious difficulty
>modulating their voices, who move strangely, who don't seem to quite
>inhabit their bodies or be comfortable with touch, and yet who are
>obviously also benevolent and intelligent and functional.
>
>This is the kind of assertion that always provokes lots of literal-minded
>counterargument on Usenet. Instead of thrashing about with whether it's
>literally true (since it probably isn't), can we take it as a jumping-off
>point for discussing the observation that there really do seem to be
>identifiable "fan" behavior patterns, like (for instance) the extremely
>common "fannish accent" of poorly modulated, slightly quacking speech?
>And discuss why this might be the case?

Well, I think this is an interesting topic to knock about. Firstly, I'm by
no means certain that it's not literally true, or quite close to being
literally true. Certainly when I was a small child there were health
workers concerned that I showed some symptons consistent with some forms of
brain damage. My mother tells this tale as a joke now - they stopped
worrying when I was about 18 months old, by which time there was no doubt I
was a very bright kid. The lack of physical co-ordination didn't actually
go away or anything, though. Also, I'm perfectly aware that I only function
in "normal" society by means of a set of learned responses to situations
which many people tackle intuitively. I learnt pretty early on that
tackling things intuitively was never going to be a likely approach for
me. This was brought sharply into focus when I managed a large number of
staff. I'm an adequate manager; good in some respects, passable in most,
poor in some. But over and over again, I found myself using my brain to
tackle a staff problem that more natural managers just used their guts for;
I found the business of staff management astonishingly hard work as a
result.

And then I got the job I'm doing now, where I'm working with a lot of
people whose primary skill is a curiosity of mind. The peculiar thing is, a
good minority of the people in our office would be picked up by your fan
antennae; all the same oddities are there. I'm the only SF fan, though
there are plenty of SF readers.

Looking around in fandom, there are relatively large numbers of people who
are less good at functioning in everyday society than I am, and a somewhat
smaller number who are clearly incapable of functioning in everyday
society, and for whom fandom represents their only society. There are also
many people for whom this is not a problem at all, or course. And I do
think it's very much a matter of not coping with the rules that society
sets, or, to be more precise, not picking up those rules intuitively and
having to carefully construct them from observed behaviour.

Alison Scott
alison@fuggles.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

Date: 25 Apr 1996 23:55:59 -0500
From: whitroth@miso.wwa.com (mark)

Mark starts up on one of his favorite hobbyhorses (usually ridden on Sunday
afternoon in the Con Suite)...

I've been saying for a few years now that fandom is not only a subculture
(that's been recognized since the sixties, and not just by fen), but that
it's approaching a culture in its own right.

Now, before I go on, I've got to give a def. of culture: a 'culture' has
its own understanding of the world, of What It's All About - a
worldview. Now, any member of that culture may accept *or* *reject*, either
in part, or in whole, that worldview but, it is *that* *worldview* that
their view of the world is based on.

Oh, and while I'm at it, the dividing line between subculture and culture
is when > 50% of the new members of the culture are folks who have been
brought up within the culture (i.e., kids), rather than converts.

It is based on the things that make up the "Std. Western Worldview" (though
at this point in time, I'll argue that such a thing no longer exists,
having been so fragmented as to be a meaningless phrase), as *all* cultures
are based on wherever they evolved, but that there are significant
differences. For example: personal space. Most fen seem to be comfortable
at smaller personal spaces than the English-based 6-8 feet. Touching is
*very* different than the British-based US norm: I mean, you walk into a
non-fannish group, and see someone giving someone else a massage, and you
*know* you'll hear gossip about whether they've been to bed together
yet. Or how many *guys* hug, when they meet, and haven't seen each other in
a while?

Then there's the idea that the relationships between folks should make
sense. This, in fact, is probably why most of us didn't do well in the
mundane world, at least as kids: the others acted in weird, pointless, and
often downright self-defeating ways. "Why on earth did she say 'no', when
she really, really likes him?"

And of *course, there's the thing in fandom that, as long as you're not
totally obnoxious, the *more* you know, the *more* folks want to talk to
you.

Oh, yes: youse guys *read*. You're right out there with the Unabomber for
*WEIRD*. A few years back, some folks we were just getting friendly with
came to our place for the first time. As I showed her around the house, we
got to the library. She looked, incredulous, then called her husband
in. They'd never seen anything like in, in someone's house... and these
weren't out-of-it folks, he was a high-up honcho in some company, and good
enough that when he got another job as a VP somewhere in the NW, they moved
him. And they'd never seen a private library. Remember that great line in
Time After Time, when Mary <sigh> Steenbergen has invited Malcolm MacDowell
(as H.G. Wells) to her apt., and as she makes dinner, he looks around, and
asks, "Where are your books?", and she answers, "There's some magazines
under the tv"...

I think that we are the evolved, and last children of the twenties, when
there was a view that we *could* make things better, that we *could*
improve our lives, and those of our kids, with technology (used carefully),
and that the only Golden Age was the one that we were helping to build.

And I'm drat glad of most of a life in fandom.

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 96 12:35:42 GMT
From: "David G. Bell" <dbell@zhochaka.demon.co.uk>

janiceg@Eng.Sun.COM "Janice Gelb" writes:
>I'd like to throw another observation into the pot: I think many fans have
>a problem judging personal space - that is, they tend to get much closer
>while speaking to another person than is the norm.

It seems the classic story about this is the way that British diplomats in
the Middle East watch American diplomats backing away from the Arabs at
Embassy parties - there are differing standards of personal space in
different cultures.

So if fans do get closer than the American standard, is it 'a problem
judging personal space' or just a different culture? And is the American
standard uniform anyway?

David G. Bell

------------------------------

Date: 26 Apr 1996 22:18:07 GMT
From: janiceg@Eng.Sun.COM (Janice Gelb)

Well, it is in the United States or it wouldn't be the standard :->

Whether fans get closer than the norm in other countries is a question I
can't answer and I probably should have been more specific in my
observation: "American fans tend to get much closer while speaking to
another person than is the American norm." Better now?

Janice Gelb
janiceg@marvin.eng.sun.com

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 18:40:16 -0600
From: romm@winternet.com (David E Romm)

whitroth@gagme.wwa.com (Mark) wrote:
>Oh, and while I'm at it, the dividing line between subculture and culture
>is when > 50% of the new members of the culture are folks who have been
>brought up within the culture (i.e., kids), rather than converts.

This subject came up in, of all places, the Minicon Post-Mortem during a
conversation on Child Care vaguelly related to the thread from this
newsgroup. One of the parents was saying that her kid grew up in
conventions without Child Care. Fandom is generally open and accepting
(within the ranges mentioned in another post) and age is not one of the
critical factors. (Of course, the kids disagree...) For the most part,
any kid who's old enough (read, 'mature enough') to hang out at cons
without parental supervision is likely to absorb the culture and do very
well.

Children who need adult supervision are another matter, as are adults who
need adult supervision and adults who need children's supervision.

Still, the trick to Child Care is not to separate the kids from the con
more than necessary. I think Minicon is doing a pretty admirable job with
Programming especially for children, such as musicians doing concerts (e.g.
Reed Waller). Kudos to Hilary Posner, Head of Children's Programming!

sf-lovers-request@rutgers.edu

Back issues of SF-Lovers Digest are available via anonymous ftp on
sflovers.rutgers.edu in the directory pub/sfl. This directory also has
episode guides and other sf-related material. All files are available via
interactive ftp, via WWW/Web (URL: http://sflovers.rutgers.edu/) and
through a mail server at:

sf-lovers-ftp@sflovers.rutgers.edu

Send the word "help" to sf-lovers-ftp@sflovers.rutgers.edu in a message by
itself for information on how to use the mail server. To get a list of
what's available use the command "get 00Index". Commands should always go
into the body of the message since the "Subject:" line is ignored.
Problems or questions about the ftp mail server should be sent to the
administrative address noted above.
End of SF-LOVERS Digest
***********************

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is it finally over?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

I think Minicon is doing a pretty admirable job with Programming especially for children, such as musicians doing concerts (e.g. Reed Waller).

I assume this is the same Reed Waller who drew the furry porn comic Omaha the Cat Dancer.

(I hasten to add that I am in no way implying that Waller is unsafe around kids; I have never heard a bad thing about him. I'm just amused by the juxtaposition.)

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
That was quite a snapshot.

These days it feels as if fandom has split and polarised groups far more than it brings them together. You don't have to get more than mildly interested in something before becoming aware of a small herd of belligerent people trundling around in the distance, proclaiming various others are "doing it wrong"

Or perhaps I've just been unlucky. Maybe my pheromones summon self-appointed keepers of whichever particular flame is currently piquing my interest.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Nah all these so called communities at the end of the day are defined by excluding others from the community and going on furious social media morality campaigns against them.

:10bux:

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
the extremely
common "fannish accent" of poorly modulated, slightly quacking speech

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Finally had time to start reading the Murderbot novellas and them being short is great when I'm still dealing with a baby who likes to stay up until I have barely enough focus to read.

Not feeling The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet yet but going to push through to 100 pages before I give up on it as it should be exactly the kind of thing I love and most of my problems are just minor quibbles. Hope I'm not just being too picky now because usually I'm too forgiving and I like that better as I get to read more fun trash

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh and for the love of god, skip Port of Shadows.

I am pretty sure Port of Shadows will make more sense when we get the other book as there has to be a bunch of time travel body possession shenanigans going on, but until then it reads more like alt universe fanfic

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

GRRM being extremely not-mad about SLIDERS the tv-series versus his DOORWAYS tv-series pilot.

Gharlane of Eddore has been a long time "get off my SFF lawn/old SFF fen yeller at clouds" style personality/poster (with a 16 kg Wizards staff tricked out with modular LEDs/modular speakers/embedded MIDI synthesizer that wows slash annoys people at SFF conventions) in the SFL Archives.

------------------------------

Date: 4 Mar 1996 23:53:52 GMT
From: gharlane@ccshp1.ccs.csus.edu (Gharlane of Eddore)
Subject: "DOORWAYS," was Re: Sliders

Rtk@gnn.com (Rae-Ann) writes:
> I've seen a lot of mention of this "Doorways"; what is it?

"DOORWAYS" was a TV series that George R. R. Martin created about half a
decade back. There was a pilot film shot, and it's not bad. It's never
been aired on TV in the U.S., although it did a few movie theaters in
Europe, and has been on TV there, and is rentable on tape outside the U.S.

Here are George R. R. Martin's comments on the subject of "SLIDERS" and
"DOORWAYS."

Mr. Martin has specifically given permission for this entry to be copied on
other networks.

SFRT II RoundTable
Category 15, Topic 18
Message 244 Mon Apr 17, 1995
G.MARTIN15 [GRRM] at 22:11 EDT

I had vowed not to discuss the DOORWAYS/SLIDERS situation any further, but
a great deal of rumor and misinformation is getting passed around here, and
the more things get repeated, the more distorted they become. GEnie and the
Internet obviously function like the old game of "telephone" here, with
people paraphrasing bits of news they've heard, and the facts malforming
further with every repetition.

So... sigh... let me set some facts straight.

I have never been asked to write for SLIDERS. For obvious reasons... at
least they are obvious to _me_. My reply, if asked, would likely be
unprintable.

Tracy Torme, the writer/creator of SLIDERS, was never involved in DOORWAYS,
nor did he ask to write for the show... at least not directly. At the time
when it appeared that DOORWAYS would be on the ABC Fall 1993 schedule,
Torme's _agent_ approached me while I was visiting my own agent (we are
both represented by ICM) and said that his client had read the script,
loved the concept, and would be interesting in writing for the show if we
went to series. A mutual friend (named Harlan Ellison) has subsequently
told me that Torme says he has "never" read the DOORWAYS script and never
expressed any interest in writing for it. I have no way of knowing, one
way or the other. I have a great deal of respect for Harlan and if he says
that Torme says this, I believe that Torme says this. It was not Torme who
approached me: it was Torme's agent, speaking on behalf of Torme. I have
been in the business long enough to know that agents sometimes, well...
embroider if they smell a job.

At any rate: I was never involved in any aspect of Torme's show and he was
never involved in any aspect of mine.

DOORWAYS was pitched to the Fox network on the same day it was pitched to
ABC; at that time, the Fox execs told me they loved it, it was very
original, they'd think about it. ABC bought it before they finished
thinking. Almost two years later, when DOORWAYS was complete, we showed
the pilot to Fox after ABC chose to go with LOIS & CLARK. Fox passed at
that time. The six back-up scripts were also shown to Fox, but I have no
idea whether they read them.

DOORWAYS has been released in many foreign countries on video, but not in
the US. Nor has ABC screened it. Someone above posted that they had
scheduled it for ninety minutes but cancelled it when they realized it was
two hours long. This is _almost_ correct, except for the lengths. ABC paid
for and has the rights to telecast the ninety-minute version. They
scheduled it for a _one hour_ slot, well over a year ago, and had to pull
it. Ninety minute slots are very hard to program. A two-hour version of
DOORWAYS does exist; that is the version released in Europe, Mexico,
Australia and elsewhere on video. ABC does not have rights to that
version, as they paid only for the ninety-minute and refused to up the ante
when we ran over budget and Columbia asked them for more money.

I hope that DOORWAYS will someday be seen, but I can't say how or when.
The chances of it becoming a series are extremely remote. It pains me
vastly to say that, since I believe DOORWAYS is as good as any work I have
ever done, and had it aired, it would have bid fair to be one of the best
SF series in the history of television. The writing was drat fair too. We
had six back-up scripts ordered - a very high number, ABC was _very_
gung-ho about this show once - by some very fine writers, including Michael
Cassutt, Edward Zuckerman, and Steve deJarnett, and our lead actors were
sensational. George Newbern is a very fine and likeable young actor, as
those who have seen in FATHER OF THE BRIDE and DESIGNING WOMEN and his many
other roles can testify. And Anne LeGuernec was simply magic, a French
actress utterly unlike anyone on television. If DOORWAYS have gone, I
believe Anne would have become a major star.

SLIDERS is utterly unlike DOORWAYS in its characters, stories, tone, and
general intelligence level. SLIDERS is relentlessly dumb; DOORWAYS tried
at least to be smart. DOORWAYS had humorous moments - I believe humor is
essential in television but, we strove to be witty and quirky, and the main
thrust of the show was drama and action/adventure. SLIDERS has a lot more
humor and that humor is broader, louder, and, well, dumber. If we were
trying for a touch of Woody Allen, they are trying Benny Hill. That's a
very crude metaphor, but it gives you the idea.

They are two very different shows, but the _concept_ is pretty much
identical. Each week the lead characters travel to another alternate world.
Unfortunately, in television, concept is all. If I did a show about a pair
of FBI agents investigating paranormal activity, the characters and tone
would likely be utterly different from X-FILES, but the series would still
never get on the air, because the executives look only at the concept. In
that sense, SLIDERS has effectively killed whatever small chances I have
remaining to launch DOORWAYS... but those chances were one in a million
anyway.

I said that the concepts were "pretty much" identical. There _is_ a small
difference. In DOORWAYS, the heroes were being pursued by a bad guy from
Cat's original world. On SLIDERS, I guess they are just adventuring
around, without the pursuit element. Alas, in the judgment of people I
trust, the distinction is not sufficient to distinguish the two shows in
the minds of executives.

There is currently no lawsuit. At one point I strongly considered suing,
and a number of lawyers felt I had a good case, but I was finally put off
the thought of the time and money involved. Subsequently, I have been told
that Torme was "thinking and talking" about SLIDERS well before I did
DOORWAYS. If indeed he could produce sufficient witnesses to prove that,
he would likely win in court... and it would be wrong of me to file. If he
could not prove it, my lawyers say I would likely win. I am presently
disinclined to gamble $50,000 to $100,00 on the result.

I have met Tracy Torme only once in my life, at a panel we were both on at
the Writer's Guild. I have no idea how truthful he is. We have one mutual
friend who assures me that Torme is a "stand-up guy" who would never do
anything unethical. We have another mutual friends who thinks, well, quite
otherwise. Me, I don't know what to think.

I will go back and check and see if I've corrected all the mistatements.
If not, I'll add a few further remarks to get the facts straight. If so,
however, let this be my last word on the subject. I know that people are
curious, and I do appreciate all the support I've gotten from friends, but
I feel like a recently bereaved mother whose friends keep saying, "So,
could you tell us again how your baby died?" I will be glad to discuss
DOORWAYS, but I am sick unto death of SLIDERS. I hope it goes away soon.

GRRM

[That's the end of GRRM's comments; this is me typing again.]

I recently got to see a version of the "DOORWAYS" pilot film again.

Then I went home and dug out my tape of the pilot movie for "SLIDERS," so I
could compare them with both fresh in mind.

The difference is huge; "DOORWAYS" had a couple of very interesting,
sympathetic characters. They were well-written and well-acted. The movie
was obviously done a *MUCH* smaller budget than the "SLIDERS" pilot, but
it's something you want to see again, and you want to see more of the
characters.

Remember scripts like "MASQUES," that George R. R. Martin did for "BEAUTY
AND THE BEAST?"

Well, he'd gotten better.

Even shooting a low-budget pilot movie, under great time pressue and
stress, he'd gotten better...

"DOORWAYS" is capable of competing, on an equal footing, with material shot
on a budget vastly larger; and demonstrates what WOULD have been a
wonderful series with great imagination and potential.

Mr. Martin's comments are professional, and non-inflammatory; he does not
seek to start a flame war or a huge discussion filled with non-productive
bile and spite, because he knows that kind of negativity just doesn't get
any MORE movies and TV shows written and into production.

But having seen the two pilot movies, and looked at the dates on them; and
having seen elements of many classic SF stories, prose and script, used in
Mr. Torme's products in the past, I honestly feel that Mr. Martin has been
ill-served by his so-called "peers" and competitors. GRRM has proven, time
and time again, that he can *produce* decent material out of thin air, on a
tight budget, with original concept and treatment. The work he did with
Ron Koslow on "BEAUTY AND THE BEAST," his movie version of "NIGHTFLYERS"
(made on considerably less than the cost of most major TV shows!), the work
he did on the new "TWILIGHT ZONE..." GRRM's track record speaks for
itself.

I have respect for Tracy Torme's work, too; while invariably highly
derivative, it *is* normally competent, and I'll always be pleased at the
way he sneaked the "BlueGills" into Goddenberry's sweetness and light
universe, and steamed G.R. off so badly that we never heard of BlueGills
again... But working in the field, even working WELL in the field, doesn't
give you a license to re-write other people's work, or to market their
concepts, and from where I sit, it *appears* that's what he did...

Parallel time tracks are old-hat in SF; travel between them is a hoarily
ancient concept. But a TV series based on jumping to a new parallel world
each week, now THAT's a fairly recent schtick, and if we're to believe
Torme's agent, one that MARTIN came up with first...

------------------------------

Date: 5 Mar 1996 00:17:38 GMT
From: gharlane@ccshp1.ccs.csus.edu (Gharlane of Eddore)
Subject: Re: "DOORWAYS," was Re: Sliders

Just discovered I had some other G.R.R.M. comments on file, copied (with
the author's permission) over from "GENIE."

George R. R. Martin was queried on GENIE, and responded with the following,
and permission to repost it here:

SLIDERS: well, people will think what they want to think, but
let me say a few things.

A lawsuit is still an option, and will remain one for some time. I am not
proceeding right now, but I could go ahead tomorrow, or next week, or six
months from now, if I choose. I may do just that, depending on other
factors.

I am trying to purchase a large and rather expensive piece of land, as most
of you know.

You also know of the difficulties I've had there. Doing an expensive land
purchase and an expensive lawsuit simultaneously would have stretched me
pretty thin... but if the land purchase falls through, as it threatens to
do, well...

Of course, I would much prefer that SLIDERS die all by itself, and I think
the chances of that are good.

Whether or not you believe it is original, it is undeniably _awful_: badly
written, badly acted, and aimed at the lowest common denominator. Parallel
worlds for morons. If there is any vestige of taste remaining in the TV
viewing audience, SLIDERS will be gone within six episodes. It makes SPACE
RANGERS look like MASTERPIECE THEATER by comparison.

The notion of alternate worlds is indeed common in books... but _not_ in
television. Also, most alternate world stories involved a single parallel
Earth. The only previous alternate world show in TV history, the
short-lived OTHERWORLD (I _think_ that was the title) was of that nature.

DOORWAYS was designed around a format that took the characters to a
different alternate earth every week, a concept that was absolutely new for
television. I had various expert witnesses lined up to testify to that,
including network and studio executives, and even the SFRT's own Bill
Warren, with his encyclopedic knowledge of SF television and film.

SLIDERS has the same format, and its "creator" is a writer whose agent once
approached me to inquire about a staff position on DOORWAYS if it went to
series. The agent told me the writer had read my script and "loved" the
idea. Indeed he did...

So what you have is this. In the entire forty-year history of network
television, there had been exactly _one_ previous parallel world show, and
there had _never_ been a series pilot that proposed taking a set of
characters to a different alternate world every week. DOORWAYS was the
first. A year later comes a second, SLIDERS, with the same series format,
created by a writer who read the DOORWAYS script and wanted to write for
DOORWAYS. Perhaps this was purely a coincidence. I shall let the folks on
Internet make up their own minds, but I know what _I_ think.

(( OH, and for what it's worth, the Fox network was pitched DOORWAYS in the
concept stage, and were quite interested, although ABC moved faster. They
did _not_ tell me, "Oh, this is a common idea, we get variants pitched to
us every week." They _did_ say, "Wow, this is something really different
and unique, we don't have anything like this."))

------------------------------

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Young me really liked SLIDERS and the description of the plot of DOORWAYS on wikipedia sounds awful. :colbert:

Also

quote:

GRRM has proven, time
and time again, that he can *produce* decent material out of thin air,
LOL. That's aged well.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Yeah these 1996 snapshot-in-time discussions I've reposted here sure have been something.

Patrick Nielsen Hayden, 1990's TOR Books editor, has consistently been a edgelord dick ever since he started posting in the SFL Archives and is the primary reason I've grown extremely sour on TOR Books ever since I started this SFL Archives readthrough attempt. I hope to gently caress that dude is gone from the SFF industry but in my heart I know he's probably still attached to the SFF industry like a Lyme disease infested tick.

There also is a 4 or so message discussion about whatever the 1990's rave slash 21+ yrs old adults only entertainment expo thinly disguised as a quarterly SFF Convention called MOC is that I'm on-the-fence about reposting to the internet in 2021. One club kid poster raved about the MOC parties/adults only extreme content at MOC, another poster was there for the SFF stuff at MOC and not the fake boobs/slave auctions/adults only content, and a third poster gave a vendors/merchant view of attending and selling stuff at MOC.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 21, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

quantumfoam posted:

Patrick Nielsen Hayden, 1990's TOR Books editor, has consistently been a edgelord dick ever since he started posting in the SFL Archives and is the primary reason I've grown extremely sour on TOR Books ever since I started this SFL Archives readthrough attempt. I hope to gently caress that dude is gone from the SFF industry but in my heart I know he's probably still attached to the SFF industry like a Lyme disease infested tick.

He seems to have mostly taken a back seat to his wife lately. Hard to get rid of an editor who's won three Hugos for the job, though.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4