Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I just want some good Forsaken actors. Ishamael, Graendal, and Demandred should be outright devouring the scenery in every scene. Maybe Jeremy Irons for Ishamael?

edit: Apparently they wrapped filming for Season 1.

Willem Dafoe is good in that regard too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Willem Dafoe doesn't really fit the physical descriptions of any of the Forsaken I don't think, but yeah whatever. Cast him as Rand if you can get him

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Since Rand's already cast, get him as Lews Therin.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

th3t00t posted:

Adam Beach as Gaul
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0063440/

I picture Galad as someone like Cole Sprause or Timothee Chalamet, but with a Brad Pitt in Fight Club level of muscle.

Doesn't seem like a great fit for the pale skinned, red haired, green eyed Gaul.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

And by god, whoever they cast for Galad should make me question my own sexuality. Otherwise, it's poor casting.

th3t00t posted:

Adam Beach as Gaul
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0063440/

I picture Galad as someone like Cole Sprause or Timothee Chalamet, but with a Brad Pitt in Fight Club level of muscle.
Kristofer Hivju without the beard

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 18, 2021

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

There better be some female gaze shots of Perrin, given part of Faile’s political strategy in the Two Rivers was “call my hot sweaty husband in and watch the Women’s Circle’s brains short circuit.”

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Were there any major good guys that were described as unattractive? I'm struggling to remember one.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Uno

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Colonel Cool posted:

Were there any major good guys that were described as unattractive? I'm struggling to remember one.

Bayle Domon

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oh and Rand's disguise trying to avoid Elayne because he's a dumbass

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Does Rand count since he’s a Jordan self insert? Just look at this specimen:

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 23:28 on May 18, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Maybe Lan? I don't remember him being described as attractive so much as made out of angles and stone

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's unattractive and then there's 'unattractive', where someone is gruff and hard-angled but is still very attractive to a wide swath of people

lan is probably very solidly the latter

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Colonel Cool posted:

I think this hinges on what you mean by major.

Siuane is always described as really plain and then there's Olver who Jordan can't mention without reminding us the kid is ugly as hell.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Zore posted:

Siuane is always described as really plain and then there's Olver who Jordan can't mention without reminding us the kid is ugly as hell.

Several of the Ashamen are described as varying degrees of unattractive including things like jug handle ears, but you have the taint and the madness complicating that.

Vanin is a lumpy sack of fat that's an incredible horsethiefrider

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Democratic Pirate posted:

There better be some female gaze shots of Perrin, given part of Faile’s political strategy in the Two Rivers was “call my hot sweaty husband in and watch the Women’s Circle’s brains short circuit.”

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You know what, gently caress it. I'm on board with that. Let's go full 70s cheese and have the whole show be attractive people in varying stages of undress with ludicrously lingering shots on their bits, both male and female.

Why the hell not.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Duran Duran best be in the sound track

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zore posted:

I guess maybe I mean good guy characters, that are in a majority of the books, and have frequent point of view chapters. Would-be protagonists.

Siuane probably counts.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

If we can combine them, maybe Egeanin and Domon together...probably still not major enough I guess.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I was second guessing myself about how often Siuan had point of view chapters and found a stats page on how many PoV chapters each character gets. Siuan with 18 comes in just ahead of Fain, tied with Cadsuane, and behind Gawyn and Galad.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Colonel Cool posted:

I guess maybe I mean good guy characters, that are in a majority of the books, and have frequent point of view chapters. Would-be protagonists.

Siuane probably counts.

Would we count Verin here? She's probably the best example though her POVs are limited due to her twist

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Invalid Validation posted:

Does Rand count since he’s a Jordan self insert? Just look at this specimen:

Now way, Mat is Jordan's insert. Just look at that hat.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Stormangel posted:

Now way, Mat is Jordan's insert. Just look at that hat.

May doesn’t have enough girlfriends, sorry.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Mat thinks Siuan is pretty when he meets her in Salidar.

Bayle is just attractive to a specific different type of dude-fancier. (Egeanin certainly thinks he's hot.)

The only people really described as ugly are any of the men Birgitte's interested in, Olver, and Graendal's reincarnation. Everybody else lives on a scale from plain to smokin'.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And Verin, who is dumpy.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zore posted:

Would we count Verin here? She's probably the best example though her POVs are limited due to her twist

I was wondering that too. I think probably not? She seems like more of a (really cool) side character.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Maybe this was just Jordan's way of saying that everyone is attractive to someone else even if they aren't conventionally hot. There are those that transcend and are just stunning like Galad, and then there are those like Olver who is a total troll but even someone like Birgitte would find him hot when he grew up.

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Invalid Validation posted:

May doesn’t have enough girlfriends, sorry.

Mat has sex with more than 3 women throughout the series, unlike Rand.

But really all 3 two rivers boys are self inserts of different parts of RJ's life, which is Writing. Good writers just don't take it to Mary Sue levels.

Stormangel fucked around with this message at 10:49 on May 19, 2021

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So Mat is young RJ, who had lots of casual sex, Rand is RJ a bit older when he had 2 girlfriends, and Perrin is oldest RJ with his horrible wife?

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Torrannor posted:

Doesn't seem like a great fit for the pale skinned, red haired, green eyed Gaul.
When has that mattered for castings on this show? (apart from Rand)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
That's kind of the thing exactly: Rand has to look Aiel. Aiel have to look like Rand. It's basically the only plot-required appearance-based casting decision. They cast somebody who pretty well matches the book description of Rand, so the Aiel also have to.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

And Verin, who is dumpy.

Verin is librarian cute

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Verin is librarian cute

Verin...Velma...

The wheel turns!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

That's kind of the thing exactly: Rand has to look Aiel. Aiel have to look like Rand. It's basically the only plot-required appearance-based casting decision. They cast somebody who pretty well matches the book description of Rand, so the Aiel also have to.
And people from the two rivers are supposed to look alike, yet they've cast people with African lineage, some with Indian and then Tam is Irish.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The show is not going to be anything close to the books. There’s too much stuff in them to shove into a TV show without it going 10 seasons. You’ll get the broad strokes but that will be it. GOT had like 4 books and it had trouble keeping up with it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

th3t00t posted:

And people from the two rivers are supposed to look alike, yet they've cast people with African lineage, some with Indian and then Tam is Irish.

The consistent description of Two Rivers folk is they're relatively dark-complected, there's still people from other regions around, and that nobody suspected Rand wasn't Tam's son

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, there's all sorts of vague poo poo that media will throw around to talk about someone reminding them of another person or people at large, it doesn't have to be some massive phrenology campaign to figure out the perfect range of suitable actors + the hundreds of extras probably needed to fill out scenes. for as much as the books will note little cultural details they also spend a whole hell of a lot of time not really giving a poo poo unless it's directly plot-relevant.

there's also the fact that the aiel have a decently broad range of hair colors and things like eyes can be easily solved with contacts.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
jordan inserted himself, but not as a main character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

th3t00t posted:

I think the only consistent description of Two Rivers folk that I remember is that, other than Kari and Rand al'Thor, nobody has blue or green eyes, or red hair, and no one is blonde. I mean, there's probably more there in the books if I read closely, but that's the stuff I remember and which I figure is vaguely plot-relevant.

edit: I get what you're saying about the diversity of appearances in the cast for Two Rivers folk. What I mean is, I don't really remember much explicitly saying that all the Two Rivers folk looked strongly alike, other than having dark hair and eyes. There's probably a good argument about what skin tone they might have, but there you have less direct, explicit evidence, and you're straying into Randland's weirdly delineated ethnic groups, which is one of those things that I think isn't plot relevant.

But yeah. Uh. I think the point, which I lost somewhere along the way, was: there has to be enough of a consistent appearance among the Aiel that Rand can "look Aiel". If Aiel are diverse in appearance, then Rand looking exactly like he's an Aielman in Andoran clothes goes away, because he has to look like J. Random Aiel. There does not, I think, really have to be a consistent physical appearance among any other group, because there isn't any similar instance of physical appearance and cultural dress not matching.

They could certainly tone down how distinct in physical appearance the Aiel are, I just think doing so is more of a plot change than not requiring every Altaran to have an olive complexion or every Domani coppery skin.

edit 2: Plot changes are fine! I just want them to be acknowledged as plot changes.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 19, 2021