Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Vavrek posted:

I think the only consistent description of Two Rivers folk that I remember is that, other than Kari and Rand al'Thor, nobody has blue or green eyes, or red hair, and no one is blonde. I mean, there's probably more there in the books if I read closely, but that's the stuff I remember and which I figure is vaguely plot-relevant.

edit: I get what you're saying about the diversity of appearances in the cast for Two Rivers folk. What I mean is, I don't really remember much explicitly saying that all the Two Rivers folk looked strongly alike, other than having dark hair and eyes. There's probably a good argument about what skin tone they might have, but there you have less direct, explicit evidence, and you're straying into Randland's weirdly delineated ethnic groups, which is one of those things that I think isn't plot relevant.

But yeah. Uh. I think the point, which I lost somewhere along the way, was: there has to be enough of a consistent appearance among the Aiel that Rand can "look Aiel". If Aiel are diverse in appearance, then Rand looking exactly like he's an Aielman in Andoran clothes goes away, because he has to look like J. Random Aiel. There does not, I think, really have to be a consistent physical appearance among any other group, because there isn't any similar instance of physical appearance and cultural dress not matching.

They could certainly tone down how distinct in physical appearance the Aiel are, I just think doing so is more of a plot change than not requiring every Altaran to have an olive complexion or every Domani coppery skin.

edit 2: Plot changes are fine! I just want them to be acknowledged as plot changes.

Yeah, there are several points in the books where someone sees Rand and straight up says "Holy poo poo it's an Aielman" before he knows what's going on. It's literally one of the first things Loial says to him. Plus the people who remember the Aiel war are usually put off by Rand at first, in part because they remember that hell time and he reminds them of it.

You could change it, but for a relatively insulated society like they're supposed to be it makes sense that they'd have a similar look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DarkHorse posted:

The consistent description of Two Rivers folk is they're relatively dark-complected, there's still people from other regions around, and that nobody suspected Rand wasn't Tam's son
Two Rivers folk are described as dark of hair/eye and with a darker complexion than red heads. But that's true of any brown hair, brown eyed, white European.

Tam isn't from a different region. He's from Emond's Field and is never described as looking different from the other townsfolk. Kari Al'Thor is described as a red headed, grey eyed Andoran, that's why no one suspected Rand wasn't their child.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

th3t00t posted:

Two Rivers folk are described as dark of hair/eye and with a darker complexion than red heads. But that's true of any brown hair, brown eyed, white European.

Tam isn't from a different region. He's from Emond's Field and is never described as looking different from the other townsfolk. Kari Al'Thor is described as a red headed, grey eyed Andoran, that's why no one suspected Rand wasn't their child.

Andoran? I thought she was just called outlander.

You n'wah!!!

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

silvergoose posted:

You n'wah!!!
https://wot.fandom.com/wiki/Kari_al%27Thor

The Wiki says she's Andoran, from Camelyn specifically.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

You n'wah!!!

In The Wheel of Time Companion (the great big glossary book, not the Big Book of Bad Art), she is "The daughter of an Andoran merchant from Caemlyn who ran a trading house in Illian." I get the impression that Tam may have just condensed this to "She's from Caemlyn" when explaining things after returning to the Two Rivers, perhaps to avoid explaining his military career in Illian. (But this is just my impression.)

What's interesting to me are the dates. Tam and Kari met in 962 NE, and were married in 965 NE. (Her parents disowned her for marrying a soldier. :() And then,

quote:

Kari accompanied Tam on the long campaigns during the Aiel War. They had two children, a girl who died of a fever in infancy and a boy who was stillborn, after which Kari could no longer have children. In late 978 NE, Tam found an infant on the slopes of Dragonmount and took him to Kari. Shortly after that, Tam resigned his commission and took Kari and baby Rand to the Two Rivers. Kari died of fever in 984 NE.
Tam's birth year is given as 940 NE, Kari's isn't given. Tam ran away from home in 956 NE "to see the world."

So, the timeline of Tam's life:
At age 16, Tam runs away from home, enlists in the army of Illian at age 17. Age 19, he joined the Companions. Age 22, he met Kari, and at 25 they're wed. "He became a blademaster in 966 NE." (Age 26.) And then it's just ten years of military service (fighting Tear, mostly) until the Aiel War (976-978 NE). Tam's 38 years old when he finds Rand.

I don't think it ever occurred to me that Tam left home so young. I never quite knew where or how to fit in his service in the army of Illian, because other than being Second Captain of the Companions, all I knew about was the Aiel War. I never realized he'd been away from home for twenty years at that point.

I guess it makes sense. If he'd stayed in the Two Rivers until he was 20, he'd have been married by that point. I just never worked to connect the dots.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Vavrek posted:

At age 16, Tam runs away from home, enlists in the army of Illian at age 17. Age 19, he joined the Companions. Age 22, he met Kari, and at 25 they're wed. "He became a blademaster in 966 NE." (Age 26.) And then it's just ten years of military service (fighting Tear, mostly) until the Aiel War (976-978 NE). Tam's 38 years old when he finds Rand.

I don't think it ever occurred to me that Tam left home so young. I never quite knew where or how to fit in his service in the army of Illian, because other than being Second Captain of the Companions, all I knew about was the Aiel War. I never realized he'd been away from home for twenty years at that point.

I guess it makes sense. If he'd stayed in the Two Rivers until he was 20, he'd have been married by that point. I just never worked to connect the dots.

jeez that really drives home how Tam is more like a retired professional soldier pretending to be just a farmer, not a farmer that once did a little fighting

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

eke out posted:

jeez that really drives home how Tam is more like a retired professional soldier pretending to be just a farmer, not a farmer that once did a little fighting

Eh not *pretending*, but absolutely. He's considered eccentric for living out by himself in the westwood, he's basically the only person in the entire two rivers with professional military experience, and has no interest in anything other than a quiet life yet can leap back into being a professional soldier with a moment's notice.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don’t remember did they ever say how Tam got the Heron branded sword? He earned it right?Cause that makes him a master swordsman which even a regular degular soldier wouldn’t have.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

And it's not just any heron mark blade. It's an Aes Sedai forged blade, which means it's at least ~2000 years old. It is ridiculously valuable, not the kind of thing that gets handed out to any soldier that can pass his blademaster qualifications.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Vavrek posted:

In The Wheel of Time Companion (the great big glossary book, not the Big Book of Bad Art), she is "The daughter of an Andoran merchant from Caemlyn who ran a trading house in Illian." I get the impression that Tam may have just condensed this to "She's from Caemlyn" when explaining things after returning to the Two Rivers, perhaps to avoid explaining his military career in Illian. (But this is just my impression.)

What's interesting to me are the dates. Tam and Kari met in 962 NE, and were married in 965 NE. (Her parents disowned her for marrying a soldier. :() And then,
Tam's birth year is given as 940 NE, Kari's isn't given. Tam ran away from home in 956 NE "to see the world."

In 1941 my Grandpa graduated high school and enlisted in the US army at 17 years old and fought in WWII. It only seems weird to us because "adulthood" has been pushed back so far for recent generations. Jordan almost certainly served in Vietnam with teenagers and probably met Veterans of WWII and WWI who had fought as younger teenagers than his contemporaries.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Invalid Validation posted:

I don’t remember did they ever say how Tam got the Heron branded sword? He earned it right?Cause that makes him a master swordsman which even a regular degular soldier wouldn’t have.

I feel like he killed a man who had it, earning him the sword and title.

I cant remember why I think this, maybe it was mentioned in the closing trilogy?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

No, that's how galad got his. I thought tam was noted to have earned it via the blade masters voting to give him the title route.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I cant remember why I think this, maybe it was mentioned in the closing trilogy?

That's one of the ways you can prove yourself a blademaster, according to one of the blademaster's internal thoughts during some duel. I don't recall if that's explicitly how Tam got his.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ll give Jordan credit, he didn’t just make Rand a blademaster immediately like most people would. He’s a loving bumbling idiot with it for a couple books at least.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

He talks about it in TGS with Rand.

Found this in the comments of this article: https://www.tor.com/2020/04/16/i-really-love-tam-al-thor-wheel-of-time/

quote:

“I’m afraid I lost your sword,” Rand found himself saying. It felt foolish.

“That’s all right,” Tam said. “I don’t know that I ever deserved the thing anyway.”

“Were you really a blademaster?”

Tam nodded. “I suppose. I killed a man who was one, did it in front of witnesses, but I’ve never forgiven myself for it. Though it needed doing.”

In an interview, RJ said Tam had gotten his sword directly from the King of Illian, but I don’t know that’s confirmed in canon.
So allegedly RJ said he got it from Mattin Stepaneos den Balgar as a reward for achieving blademaster status. This doesn't make sense unless the guy he killed was important somehow - I wonder if he killed a notable Tairen or Whitecloak blademaster or perhaps a rival to the throne of Illian.

EDIT: Found it - from a 1994 book signing: https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=25

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 19, 2021

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That conversation is one of the best and worst in the entire series.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

I just enjoy the contrast between Tam's conflicted feelings about becoming a bladmaster vs Thom casually stacking darkfriend bodies behind the hill till it's convenient to deal with them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Anias posted:

I just enjoy the contrast between Tam's conflicted feelings about becoming a bladmaster vs Thom casually stacking darkfriend bodies behind the hill till it's convenient to deal with them.

While he composes an epic.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

One Power users aside, Thom has gotta have one of the highest body counts in the series.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

One Power users aside, Thom has gotta have one of the highest body counts in the series.

Ehhhhh depends who gets the blame for the cannons.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Mat. Mat gets the blame.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If you consider the secondary kills from the Cairhien civil war he sets off by whacking King Galldrien he gets into major channeller territory as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Blag, forgot about that.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

jng2058 posted:

If you consider the secondary kills from the Cairhien civil war he sets off by whacking King Galldrien he gets into major channeller territory as well.

The line about him setting off with a savage grin on his face was really something.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thom is Jaime Lannister.

Except he revels in it, and he has killed a lot more than one.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

th3t00t posted:

In 1941 my Grandpa graduated high school and enlisted in the US army at 17 years old and fought in WWII. It only seems weird to us because "adulthood" has been pushed back so far for recent generations. Jordan almost certainly served in Vietnam with teenagers and probably met Veterans of WWII and WWI who had fought as younger teenagers than his contemporaries.

Yeah. Partly, I'm contrasting Tam with the next generation. For a long time, I underestimated the age of the three main boys and Egwene, thinking Rand &co were 18, and Egwene 16 (because that seemed like a reasonable age for adulthood in a vaguely premodern setting) at the start. After a while, their correct ages got lodged in my head, so seeing that Tam actually was as young as I thought the main four were, when for years I'd assumed that he'd left when he was like 25 or 30, was a surprise.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Found this in the comments of this article: https://www.tor.com/2020/04/16/i-really-love-tam-al-thor-wheel-of-time/

So allegedly RJ said he got it from Mattin Stepaneos den Balgar as a reward for achieving blademaster status. This doesn't make sense unless the guy he killed was important somehow - I wonder if he killed a notable Tairen or Whitecloak blademaster or perhaps a rival to the throne of Illian.

EDIT: Found it - from a 1994 book signing: https://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=25
I inferred that the Blademaster Tam killed was a friend turned enemy. Hence the "never forgave myself, though it needed doing"

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Especially if you count the casualties of the Cahrien civil war that Thom started as his body count. edit: beaten

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Invalid Validation posted:

I’ll give Jordan credit, he didn’t just make Rand a blademaster immediately like most people would. He’s a loving bumbling idiot with it for a couple books at least.

Eeeh. Rand takes Turak in a straight duel at the end of TGH, and even by the prologue of that Lan's saying he's getting good with it. So it's more like one book and change.

(I guess there's maybe an implication that Turak is one of the least worthy blademasters in the series?)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I bet the sword belonged to whoever Tam killed, and had been directed to kill him by Stepaneos, possibly because he had turned traitor against Illian and betrayed Tam into the bargain. Tam won the blade but was "given" it by Stepaneos for his service.

The only alternative is Mattin just had it in the vaults and decided to award it which is possible but an insanely valuable gift.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

I bet the sword belonged to whoever Tam killed, and had been directed to kill him by Stepaneos, possibly because he had turned traitor against Illian and betrayed Tam into the bargain. Tam won the blade but was "given" it by Stepaneos for his service.

The only alternative is Mattin just had it in the vaults and decided to award it which is possible but an insanely valuable gift.

I don't know if the timings would work or not, but in the world of the wheel of time, it's discussed that the Whitecloaks would have taken down the command structure of the Illianer army were it not for the valour of the Companions. It may well be that Tam was a part of that particular battle, and as Second Captain, he sure would have been in the thick of it.

EDIT: That was in 957, the Aiel crossed the Dragonwall for Laman in 976, so I think that's too early for Tam to have been involved.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 19, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The Whitecloak war started pretty much as soon as Tam made it to Illian, so he essentially signed up to fight in it. Probably too early to get himself promoted to second highest rank of the Companions and in a Blademaster duel.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

You know, I kinda like that we don't know all the answers to Tam's history. I mean, I'd have loved to see Jordan do those side story novels he'd been talking about before he got sick, especially Mat & Tuon in Seanchan, but not having every character put under a microscope and allowed to have some mystery works too.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Same. Its like with Thom. We know the man gets results but we don't need to know how.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Completely agreed, what else would we randomly debate about otherwise??

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Braids.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah but which national style

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Aiel.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

"I trust you, and my bow, and my axe" dangit I still like their relationship between the two Berelain sections.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
*folds arms beneath breasts(man breasts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

*pulls dong when upset*

Hire me Jordan.