Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Griffith is trapped on Elf Island as Guts and Casca's son and finally finds true happiness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Hilario Baldness posted:

Wait so does Griffith win by default?

not with what the characters were able to find for themselves in his lovely world

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't believe it.

This is loving heartbreaking.
Rest in peace Kentaro.

Your masterpiece means a lot to me and so did you.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Zaphod42 posted:

Guts stays in elf-land with Casca.

Skull knight Rickert kills Griffith.

Everybody lives happily ever after :cry:

Just a little correction

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
guts, casca and the crew live on elf island in peace and harmony.

crepeface posted:

idk why you guys are so sad, the manga ended already with this panel:

rickert invents the ak-47 and 360 noscopes griffith.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
Only 54... this doesn't seem fair, but for everything Miura gave us, he inspired many others. Thank you for everything.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
drat, I just heard.

The world has lost a true legend. :(

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
This is quite sad. I haven't kept up with Berserk in recent years and always took it for granted that chapters would slowly come out and we'd know the ending one day.

Tragically, that may not happen anymore without Miura himself to tell us the end of the journey. Rest in peace.

Please take care of your health, people. I should do a lot more of that myself.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Least we got to see Casca regain herself and Guts reach some semblance of happiness. :gbsmith:

It's a shame, but I agree. Better to let it end there, during a time of calm and tranquility for those characters after so much suffering.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
We all joked that he'd die before it ended, but not like this :negative:

I too hope for some story outline notes from his assistants to dull the pain of never knowing the outcome.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it feels so strange to be here at a point everyone joked about, and now its real and horrible

every time i would catch up with this series i would start the process of a slow re-read of the series over months and years, until i caught back up to the newest material. the number of times i've read this story and had it still impact me in the 15 years since i first read it is a bit staggering to think about

i can think of very few works that i've enjoyed to a similar extent

miura and his art will be missed

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
gently caress, I have been reading Berserk for decades now. Thank you Miura for this most metal journey.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
rip miura and thanks, berserk helped me get through some some spectacularly lovely times

crepeface posted:

guts, casca and the crew live on elf island in peace and harmony.

rickert invents the ak-47 and 360 noscopes griffith.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I'm most saddened by the fact that we won't get to see Casca's story from here. She above all else deserved more.

But this isn't a bad ending.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Berserk is without a doubt the single most important work of art in my life. I'm incredibly grateful to Miura for creating it, and saddened beyond words that he didn't get to outlive it.

I'm fine with it ending here, if it had to end prematurely.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sad that it ended prematurely, and as LordMune says, ending here is as maybe as good of an ending as Berserk was going to get.

But I had always thought that Berserk would end with Miura saying "I can't do this anymore, I'm sorry" and then he lived out the rest of his life peacefully and passed in another 30 years.
A heart attack at 54 is just cruel.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

gently caress deadlines.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

A heart attack at 54 is just cruel.

Worse, aortic aneurysm. You can survive a heart attack and people often enough do, aortic aneurysm and the related outcomes ('Aortic dissection', which is what got Miura) is one of those things that most of the time up and pops on someone unawares and when they do a lot of the time it's way too late to do anything even with immediate response. And because most people aren't going out and getting tested for it or in ways that'd spot it, unless there's already been some factor to do so, it's one of the worst that creeps up on people too. Even post-op when it's found and addressed to some deal, something like half still die from it. It's an absolutely rotten condition.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 20, 2021

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hirasawa soundtrack on loop today.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I was not prepared for how just how incredibly sad this would make me still feel.

Hirasawa soundtrack on loop today.
Same.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Ditto

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

it feels so strange to be here at a point everyone joked about, and now its real and horrible
I thought he'd die in another 30 years with it unfinished (Maybe we'd get another 5 chapters or so)... not so soon :smith:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGl2MnVhpDM

Just the fact that the ED song is called "Waiting So Long" feels like it has a kind of bitter irony to it now.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
RIP, Kentaro Miura. :cheers:
You were a heck of an artist.

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
Welp. I thought I didn't care that much about Berserk and Miura after all these years of sporadic new chapter releases and questionable side projects, but it turns out I do care. I care a lot.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Here to pay tribute to the legend

rip Kentaro Miura :(

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Haven't felt a passing like this in a while. drat, rest in peace you legend. I just wish I got to know what you had planned for us.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/GoodWillsmith/status/1395228526194872320

I feel like Miura's abilities can't be overstated. Genius illustrator. Genius at composition. Genius storyteller. He was an absolute cut above and to read Berserk is to experience three decades of that talent blossoming.

The tragedy of Satoshi Kon all over again, one of the absolute greats of the industry taken far, far before his time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Jesus Christ, 54 is no age at all. RIP to one of the all time greats.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
his art is so loving good

ive done traditional ink stuff and it just made me appreciate how freakishly good he was even half my age

e: not just technique, but composition, illusion of movement, flow, design and detail, expressions, the ability to blend surreal, fantastical aesthetics and make it seem concrete and real. its nuts that it was all just him and his mind at work.

e2: just looking at it again and like god drat

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 20, 2021

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/GoodWillsmith/status/1395228526194872320

I feel like Miura's abilities can't be overstated. Genius illustrator. Genius at composition. Genius storyteller. He was an absolute cut above and to read Berserk is to experience three decades of that talent blossoming.

The tragedy of Satoshi Kon all over again, one of the absolute greats of the industry taken far, far before his time.

Always worth including as well.

Just good god.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
https://twitter.com/WANPOWANWAN/status/13952395809372528

Morikawa, Hajime No Ippo Mangaka posted:

The photo is Takamura drawn by Kentaro Miura. I'm pretty sentimental now. Let me tell you a story. Kentaro came to help me when I just started my first manga series and didn’t have enough staff members. He was 18 and I was 19. He was a student of the art department of a certain university, and came after his class was over, with a sketchbook in his hand.

I didn’t know how much he could draw, so I showed him what I drew and asked him to draw something similar. I was amazed at what he drew. It was too good for his age. I was already curious about him after he drew several more, and since we were both still young, we stopped and talked about manga.

I asked him to show me the sketchbook. When I opened it, I was even more amazed and got goosebumps. A fairy, a stigma, and a swordsman holding a big sword were drawn there, with a thick pencil. The later Puck and Guts. It was overwhelming. When I asked "What on earth is this?" he said "It's something in my head. I want to get better before I start working on them." I have no idea how long he has had the idea for, but Berserk was already there.

After a while, Berserk started, almost at the same time as my series, Hajime no Ippo. I heard that he had some struggles along the way, but I was convinced that an absolute masterpiece of a manga has begun, because it was a serialization that was started by no one else but Kentaro who finally decided that he was good enough. I was convinced that the whole world would be as amazed as I was. And that's what happened. A breathtaking screen with transcendent drawing power. Nothing but respect for each episode.

This is the end of the story. That’s basically the only time we worked together, but I heard he always cared about me. I am proud of him and will treasure the fact that I have met him.

I'm sorry Kentaro-kun for sharing this without your permission. I'll go to read your final episode someday.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haven't posted here but stopping by to offer my well wishes to his family. I've been a fan of the series for a good long while and gotten a few friends into it so just sitting here thinking about it being over is upsetting.

I hope he can rest in peace now at least.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Always worth including as well.

Just good god.

How is it even possible to put art this good in a manga.
What a loss.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

How is it even possible to put art this good in a manga.
What a loss.

I'll never not love a lot of Locus's art too

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
At least they got off the boat.

This sucks.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

This sucks. Guy's work impressed me every single time for 18 years.

Thanks for the memories Miura. RIP.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
RIP to a loving legend

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Never was a Berserk fan, but I don't think you can enjoy illustration or manga as an artform and not have a huge amount of admiration and respect for Miura. He was incredible and will be remembered, rightfully so, as one of the masters.

Still processing the fact that this dude who seemed in good health and seemed to be finally over a big hump in the story of Berserk, passed away so suddenly.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
:rip: to Miura.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ken Akamatsu (Negima, Love Hina) also said that Miura would always fax him (or text him as the years went on) whenever there was a scene he liked in one of Akamatsu's manga. Just seems like he was a decent guy.