Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That airbox/carb cover makes them look like they have a Deltic engine, I say go for it.
A miniature deltic would unironically be a phenomenal touring bike motor if you could figure out the packaging.

Beautiful.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

:lol: I like it, real impotent rage energy.

No anime waifus. 6/10 (Missed oppurtinity)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Who dares to undo my beautiful Gladius av work?

:mad:

LOL exactly why I never gave slav an av replacement. Can you at least give him his gang tags back or whatever?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’M

its the covfefe of custom titles

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

A miniature deltic would unironically be a phenomenal touring bike motor if you could figure out the packaging.

Beautiful.

Mister Millyard,, sir, would you please bless our roads with a Deltic bike, you absolute madlad?

(if anyone doesn't know who Alan Millyard is, shame on you. He made a bike with 2 of the HUGE cylinders from a radial aeroplane engine, stitches engines together on the regular to make his own 6 in line, stitches multiple 2 stroke engines together to make a 4 or 6 cyl two stroke, and of course he has a V10 bike with Viper engine. Everything hand made, and extremely nicely crafted)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

LimaBiker posted:

Mister Millyard,, sir, would you please bless our roads with a Deltic bike, you absolute madlad?

(if anyone doesn't know who Alan Millyard is, shame on you. He made a bike with 2 of the HUGE cylinders from a radial aeroplane engine, stitches engines together on the regular to make his own 6 in line, stitches multiple 2 stroke engines together to make a 4 or 6 cyl two stroke, and of course he has a V10 bike with Viper engine. Everything hand made, and extremely nicely crafted)
And he cuts everything with a grinder and hack saw. Old school as hell

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’M

its the covfefe of custom titles

smart quotes are a motherfucker

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If they’re so smart, why did they make it look stupid? :colbert:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Beautiful.

So the person who makes his money off people too incompetent/intimidated to do their own servicing wants motorbikes to have the most infamously fiddly and difficult to maintain engines ever designed, eh?

TBH I'm fairly sure - what with the upside-down crankcases - you could only make a Deltic as a 2-stroke, although I'm sure KTM and Aprilia could be persuaded to drag out the ceramic bearing research they were doing to allow petrol 2-strokes to work without bottom-end lubrication. I suppose you could lay it flat like a boxer and have the gearbox and clutch in the central well and oh poo poo I've just designed the next BMW haven't I?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH I'm fairly sure - what with the upside-down crankcases - you could only make a Deltic as a 2-stroke,

It’s a 4, and your owner’s manual will list the frequency and duration of wheelies and stoppies to keep the upper crankcase oiled.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So the person who makes his money off people too incompetent/intimidated to do their own servicing wants motorbikes to have the most infamously fiddly and difficult to maintain engines ever designed, eh?

Both Suzuki and Norton already released road going rotary engined bikes

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH I'm fairly sure - what with the upside-down crankcases - you could only make a Deltic as a 2-stroke, although I'm sure KTM and Aprilia could be persuaded to drag out the ceramic bearing research they were doing to allow petrol 2-strokes to work without bottom-end lubrication. I suppose you could lay it flat like a boxer and have the gearbox and clutch in the central well and oh poo poo I've just designed the next BMW haven't I?

I dunno it looks super simple to me. Especially if you cut it down to two horizonal cylinders with a parallel twin crankcase at either end, plus the lower stroke and compression needed for a petrol engine, you'd end up with a reasonable package. Only one timing system that can't really go wrong, no valves no premix no roller bearings no chains no lifters. Literally the only drawback is having to take a crankshaft out to do some piston rings. I think the majority of the difficulty with the original deltic was down to it being huge, being 3 bank, and being made by British people in the fifties.

ought ten posted:

It’s a 4, and your owner’s manual will list the frequency and duration of wheelies and stoppies to keep the upper crankcase oiled.

Even Ducati eventually figured out how to make oil go uphill, albeit really slowly.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I dunno it looks super simple to me. Especially if you cut it down to two horizonal cylinders with a parallel twin crankcase at either end, plus the lower stroke and compression needed for a petrol engine, you'd end up with a reasonable package. Only one timing system that can't really go wrong, no valves no premix no roller bearings no chains no lifters. Literally the only drawback is having to take a crankshaft out to do some piston rings. I think the majority of the difficulty with the original deltic was down to it being huge, being 3 bank, and being made by British people in the fifties.

You've just invented the two-stroke, but worse - in fact somehow even worse than the single-bank Deltics that the Germans were playing with for plane engines. You've managed to out-fuckery WW2 German aero designers - a job in the BMW suspension department is yours for the taking!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I mean, it's a two stroke with no exposed bottom end, no premix and none of the pumping/timing issues associated with a crank scavenged system. I really don't see the drawback, how is an opposed deltic worse than a twin crank v4 with rotary intakes and carbs all sticking out one side? Much simpler, much tighter packaging, much more thermally efficient. I don't see the downside?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The 90's awesomeness, for so cheap.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 21, 2021

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

T Zero posted:

Get the NC700J

Oh look what's at the nearest dealer now

https://www.lifestyleshonda.com/streetbike/2016_HONDA_NM4/U17488

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't think I've ever seen one of those before

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Speaking of bikes that disappear beneath you: https://www.cycleinsider.com/Honda-NM4-%28NC700J%29-Motorcycle-Reviews?manu=Honda&model=NM4%20(NC700J)

"It's a total joy to ride. It's so comfortable, I almost fall asleep."

T Zero fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 21, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

STOP MAKING ME WANT AN NM4

:argh:

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

STOP MAKING ME WANT AN NM4

:argh:

When you see one by itself shot from a low angle it looks like a cool stealth Bat-Bike, but when you see a photo of somebody actually sitting on one it looks like a dorky scooter

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's a win win since I really want a dorky maxi scooter and a DREDD future bike. The NM4 can :getin:

Looks really low and rocketlike with a person on it.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 21, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Coydog posted:

That's a win win since I really want a dorky maxi scooter and a DREDD future bike. The NM4 can :getin:

Looks really low and rocketlike with a person on it.

It looks cool and I'd love to try one, but I know better than to make an nm4 my first bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
What's that other weird curvy Honda cruiser that didn't sell at all, the DN-01? Saw one of those in person a couple months back and it's similarly underrated imo, it's got the same flavour as the NM but fatter.

The lights being on makes a big difference to its appearance too, all the promo shots you see have them off but when you see one coming up in your mirrors it looks like a jaguar or something with those big twin round owl eye headlights.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

What's wrong with a 2011 V-Strom 650 that it only has 1500 miles on it?/Is a 2011 V-Strom with 1500 miles and a bunch of accessories that I would want anyway worth $6500?

Edit: Like I feel like it was probably owned by some rich Amazon computer toucher that threw money at it before they figured out that they don't actually like motorcycles.
The fact that it has absolutely brand new tires that still have the colored stripe and printed numbers directly on the tread seems suspicious though

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 23, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing wrong with it, that is something that happens all the time but usually it's a Harley, Ducati or big bmw. If you plan on doing all the fluids before riding, and replace the tyres (they are hosed, don't ride on them), and that is a good price for your market, it's fine. Bearing in mind that fluids and tyres are something you'll have to do on basically any not-new bike (and even some new ones), at least this one will still have perfectly good chain, brakes, fork oil etc.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah buy that bike.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Those 22 litre side cases are really nice too, very understated and clean design compared to the new version. They're what I'd want if I didn't already have plenty of luggage.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are so many people who buy bikes because they love the idea of motorcycling but then they experience the reality and realize it’s not at all what they wanted.

Many people get hooked on the glamor of motorcycling (Easy rider, long way round, bike exif, etc) with zero idea of the mechanics of actually owning and riding a bike

Those are the people who buy a brand new bike, farkle the poo poo out of it then sell it before it’s broken in

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

Those 22 litre side cases are really nice too, very understated and clean design compared to the new version. They're what I'd want if I didn't already have plenty of luggage.

Originally I bought a pair of 36L cases for my Wee, but they were a bit big for daily use so I got the E22s and they basically never came off the bike unless I was camping. When I sold the Wee, the 36ers went with it and I kept the 22s to go on the Rex.

If that's the ABS version, or even if it's not, I'd say go nuts. The Wee gave me a nearly trouble-free decade.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

I've got dumb work hours for a few days but if it's still there when I can make it I'm going to go look with intent to buy as long as nothing seems wrong and it feels right.

Dog Case fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 25, 2021

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Having not rebuilt a carburetor since the late 1990s and never having done one for a motorcycle, how much of a world of hurt am I in if I buy this thing? I just loving love V4s so goddamn much.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It will be fine as long as you unrack the carbs. Divide and conquer! Sometimes it's good to move them around, to see where the carb "likes" to be. This is the magic of carb cleaning and tuning.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Coydog posted:

It will be fine as long as you unrack the carbs. Divide and conquer! Sometimes it's good to move them around, to see where the carb "likes" to be.

get back, devil

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Jazzzzz posted:

get back, devil

Agreed, that sounded way too positive, like I'm being led down the primrose path.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EverettLO posted:

Having not rebuilt a carburetor since the late 1990s and never having done one for a motorcycle, how much of a world of hurt am I in if I buy this thing? I just loving love V4s so goddamn much.

If you want to tinker around the edges that bike is not for you.

If you want to spend 1-2 days taking them out, rebuilding completely (meaning unrack and do all the o-rings, throttle bushes etc), fitting and balancing them then go for it! The bike is otherwise simple and dependable and the engine character is fantastic.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

get back, devil

:awesomelon: A real devil would have told them how easy it is as long as they install pods. Divide and conquer!

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Slavvy posted:

If you want to tinker around the edges that bike is not for you.

If you want to spend 1-2 days taking them out, rebuilding completely (meaning unrack and do all the o-rings, throttle bushes etc), fitting and balancing them then go for it! The bike is otherwise simple and dependable and the engine character is fantastic.

My first motorcycle was a Honda CX500 that was drat near bulletproof and I'd love a version of that with a bit more power. Seemed like the one with a shaft drive and liquid cooling. I don't mind tinkering, I just don't want to wash into full on lemon territory.

By the time I got off work it sounds like it has been sold. It'll just go into the bin of missed opportunities.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

EverettLO posted:

My first motorcycle was a Honda CX500 that was drat near bulletproof and I'd love a version of that with a bit more power. Seemed like the one with a shaft drive and liquid cooling. I don't mind tinkering, I just don't want to wash into full on lemon territory.

By the time I got off work it sounds like it has been sold. It'll just go into the bin of missed opportunities.

You just described a naked Oldwing, I've ridden both and the CX is a goat next to the wing. Oldwings are comically easy to ride. I've also worked on both and on V4's and the wing is the easiest to work on.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The cx is a miserable bike compared to basically anything so a very low bar to clear. I'm a big fan of the original vt1100 because it looked like a cruiser, felt like a Harley motor but the bike could go around corners and stuff. The later water cooled vee twins don't compare.

E: speelung

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Slavvy posted:

The cx is a miserable bike compared to basically anything so a very low bar to clear. I'm a big fan of the original vt1100 because it looked like a cruiser, felt like a Harley motor but the bike couldd go around corners and stuff. The later water cooled tree twins don't compare.

Yeah, it was not amazing. The thing was slow and heavy and only looked okay if you squinted just right, but it was a decent enough first bike. I've owned two motorcycles since then that both put it to shame, but I do love standards and the modern retro standards that I'd prefer are a bit too expensive for me.