Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Ok Comboomer posted:

these are both magnolias, correct?

Yeah both Cornus florida. Probable cultivars are “Cherokee Brave” for the pink and “Cherokee Princess” for the white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
thanks for the id, everybody

turns out there’s a ton of dogwoods in people’s yards in Eastern Mass.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Dogwoods. So hot right now. I see them all the time in newer developments. Maybe because they're magnolia-ish but way less messy.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
also, I’ve taken maybe 50% of my indoor plants and plastic-potted succulents (I’m waiting until I’ve had a chance to slap together a bench before I bring out anything in terra cotta) outside and THEY LOVE BEING OUTSIDE SO SO MUCH

like as good as you can make the light situation indoors artificially or with windows, it’s a loving drop in the bucket compared to the sheer midday bake that my patio gets.

All these desert plants are reacting in leaps and bounds and they’ve only been out since Friday

the briar patch euphorbia’s thrown out a ton of length and foliage

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Dogwoods. So hot right now. I see them all the time in newer developments. Maybe because they're magnolia-ish but way less messy.

gotta admit, a lot of the ones I peep here look real spectacular. Wouldn’t kick a big one out of my yard or a small one out of my bonsai collection.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

I've killed my share of succulents with overwatering so I'm (perhaps over-) paranoid of ever putting them outside. How do you handle a stretch like this, bring them all inside again?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nosre posted:

I've killed my share of succulents with overwatering so I'm (perhaps over-) paranoid of ever putting them outside. How do you handle a stretch like this, bring them all inside again?

If you have to, yes. New England definitely isn’t their native climate.

I’m lucky that I have a covered porch I can bring mine into during rainy stretches, but honestly they dry out so quickly in pots that I’m not worried about over-watering them

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

gotta admit, a lot of the ones I peep here look real spectacular. Wouldn’t kick a big one out of my yard or a small one out of my bonsai collection.

I got a little kousa that I put in last year that's doing nice. They're great trees for up here. The despot here actually had some they got in with the japanese maples but they were little.

Ok Comboomer posted:

All these desert plants are reacting in leaps and bounds and they’ve only been out since Friday

The weather is making quite the difference even to the ones I have in windows but nothing can beat the actual sun. Unfortunately I don't really have a good place to put potted plants outside and I'm too lazy to move them all even if I did and I'm too afraid of getting a spider mite infestation or something even if I wasn't.

I have a pretty shady patch of the garden I put in earlier this spring that I figured I'd slap a couple hosta in since I didn't have none. For some reason rome pisspot has decided they want to stock tons of hosta for real cheap this year and all of them just end up planted in my garden somehow. I may have a hosta problem—they have the dumbest cultivar names.

Also got a deal on a sweet variegated Polygonatum but that wasn't at the despot (the Trilium I found in the woods, don't tell no one). (Also the buxus were already here when I bought the place, I just moved them; don't judge me.)

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Wallet posted:

Also got a deal on a sweet variegated Polygonatum but that wasn't at the despot (the Trilium I found in the woods, don't tell no one). (Also the buxus were already here when I bought the place, I just moved them; don't judge me.)

Nice Polygonatum! Ours is about where yours is, having bought it a couple years back. Nice to see a pretty perennial that will flower even a little in dead shade. I hope ours spreads!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As I mentioned not too long ago, I planted 2 Stella cherry trees in front of my house. This was a little more than a month ago. They arrived from Fast-Growing-Trees.com about 2-3 feet tall, with root balls and a few small branches with leaves on them. I planted them as similar as I could, in terms of soil and compost and stuff, though I do think one side (the "right side" for purposes of this discussion) loses a bit more water for whatever reason, possibly because it's more sloped. They are both kind of on a slope though.

Now, one of them has had most of the leaves turn brown and dry out. I wasn't overly concerned about it at first, because they did come in boxes after all, so I figured the original leaves might not last. The one on the left had some of that too. However, now the one on the left seems to have healthy new growth, whereas the one on the right still just has those dead leaves and nothing else going on.

We bought a 1-year warranty which I think will let us replace a dead tree, assuming we've cared for it properly, which I think we have based on the one that's doing fine. (Though to be honest, I may have been too conservative for fear of overwatering.) How long do you think I should let this go on before replacing the tree? I really don't want to if I don't have to, it's a huge pain. But if I do have to, I don't want to wait too long and end up missing the planting season.

Here are some pictures. I was dumb and took yesterday's pictures after watering, so they'll look unusually moist...

BEFORE:
Right side

(Left side)

AFTER:
Right side

(Left side)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Sir Lemming posted:

As I mentioned not too long ago, I planted 2 Stella cherry trees in front of my house. This was a little more than a month ago. They arrived from Fast-Growing-Trees.com about 2-3 feet tall, with root balls and a few small branches with leaves on them. I planted them as similar as I could, in terms of soil and compost and stuff, though I do think one side (the "right side" for purposes of this discussion) loses a bit more water for whatever reason, possibly because it's more sloped. They are both kind of on a slope though.

Now, one of them has had most of the leaves turn brown and dry out. I wasn't overly concerned about it at first, because they did come in boxes after all, so I figured the original leaves might not last. The one on the left had some of that too. However, now the one on the left seems to have healthy new growth, whereas the one on the right still just has those dead leaves and nothing else going on.

We bought a 1-year warranty which I think will let us replace a dead tree, assuming we've cared for it properly, which I think we have based on the one that's doing fine. (Though to be honest, I may have been too conservative for fear of overwatering.) How long do you think I should let this go on before replacing the tree? I really don't want to if I don't have to, it's a huge pain. But if I do have to, I don't want to wait too long and end up missing the planting season.

Here are some pictures. I was dumb and took yesterday's pictures after watering, so they'll look unusually moist...

BEFORE:
Right side

(Left side)

AFTER:
Right side

(Left side)

Yeah, that looks exactly like my dead peach tree from last year.

If you want to check, nick the back a little bit and see if the cambium (just below the bark) is green. If so, you have a shot.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, that looks exactly like my dead peach tree from last year.

If you want to check, nick the back a little bit and see if the cambium (just below the bark) is green. If so, you have a shot.

So I've got mixed results to report. Near the base of the trunk I've got this, which looks promising maybe:

Higher up, around the middle, still on the trunk but parallel to the branches, it doesn't look so good:

(You may not even be able to tell where I cut, it's a little below the middle of the pictured section)

Regardless of what I eventually decide, I'll definitely water the hell out of it for now.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Do you have a way to deliver slow drip deep waterings? We ended up buying some tree gators last year (water bags that wrap around the tree and have pinhole openings in the bottom). That might help. Also maybe pruning dead branches to encourage new growth? Not sure if that would help a tree in that much stress/the process of dying. Also might mess up shape/spread longer term if it does survive. If I were in your shoes I'd try to get them to send a new tree. As for planting window, we planted a bunch of trees (including an 8' Stella cherry) in early June and it was fine.

And I've got a tree question of my own: our coral bark Japanese maple that we planted last summer has noticeably thinner foliage than it did this time last year.

Pic from yesterday:

Pic from this time last year (plus or minus a couple days):

Not sure if it's from a cooler spring with some late hard frosts, over/underwatering (probably 45g/week via tree gator when not raining all the time), needing nutrients, still establishing and focusing on root growth, not liking clay soil, or what. :ohdear:

Or maybe it's changing its growth pattern because it's in the ground where it can spread out its roots and is no longer confined to a burlap sack like it presumably was for the previous ~15 years? I did notice a lot of elongation of outer branches happening in the early spring. Leaves themselves and the crown look good. Maybe it's the same amount of foliage but the branches are longer and spread the leaves more so foliage looks thinner? This is the first large specimen tree transplant I've dealt with.

Other trees we planted (cherry, crabapple, and dogwoods) seem very happy and healthy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Guess I'll probably get started on the process of replacing the Stella cherry tree. One other thing I forgot to ask about : the dying tree has this weird, hard reddish translucent glob on it. Any idea what that could be? It was near the little plastic wrap thing that came on it (like most trees/bushes, a little thing identifying it) so I almost thought somehow something from that got wet and dripped. But it's just this stationary glob staying there, for at least a few days now, maybe weeks.

Could it just be some kind of sap? I don't believe the healthy tree has it but I keep forgetting to check.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Lemming posted:

Guess I'll probably get started on the process of replacing the Stella cherry tree. One other thing I forgot to ask about : the dying tree has this weird, hard reddish translucent glob on it. Any idea what that could be? It was near the little plastic wrap thing that came on it (like most trees/bushes, a little thing identifying it) so I almost thought somehow something from that got wet and dripped. But it's just this stationary glob staying there, for at least a few days now, maybe weeks.

Could it just be some kind of sap? I don't believe the healthy tree has it but I keep forgetting to check.

Yeah that is just sap/gum. It is coming out of a wound of some kind.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Sir Lemming posted:

A cursory search says it's gummosis and could be caused by injury or canker disease. You can read up on it and try recommended treatment of removing cankers (if it's that and not just injury) and making sure drainage is good and such, but honestly I think this combined with the tree being pretty much dead warrants getting a replacement.

Side note: when we planted our trees, which we got from a great local nursery that specializes in trees, they strongly recommended against staking because it discourages robust root system development - if the tree is getting knocked around by wind, it'll put down more and better roots to hold itself in place, but if it's propped up by staking, it won't need to do that and you get a less extensive root system. We were told to only stake if the tree was coming up crooked or otherwise wouldn't stay straight on its own.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Queen Victorian posted:

Do you have a way to deliver slow drip deep waterings? We ended up buying some tree gators last year (water bags that wrap around the tree and have pinhole openings in the bottom). That might help. Also maybe pruning dead branches to encourage new growth? Not sure if that would help a tree in that much stress/the process of dying. Also might mess up shape/spread longer term if it does survive. If I were in your shoes I'd try to get them to send a new tree. As for planting window, we planted a bunch of trees (including an 8' Stella cherry) in early June and it was fine.

And I've got a tree question of my own: our coral bark Japanese maple that we planted last summer has noticeably thinner foliage than it did this time last year.

Pic from yesterday:

Pic from this time last year (plus or minus a couple days):

Not sure if it's from a cooler spring with some late hard frosts, over/underwatering (probably 45g/week via tree gator when not raining all the time), needing nutrients, still establishing and focusing on root growth, not liking clay soil, or what. :ohdear:

Or maybe it's changing its growth pattern because it's in the ground where it can spread out its roots and is no longer confined to a burlap sack like it presumably was for the previous ~15 years? I did notice a lot of elongation of outer branches happening in the early spring. Leaves themselves and the crown look good. Maybe it's the same amount of foliage but the branches are longer and spread the leaves more so foliage looks thinner? This is the first large specimen tree transplant I've dealt with.

Other trees we planted (cherry, crabapple, and dogwoods) seem very happy and healthy.

I'm not an expert but I much prefer the current look of your tree. Looks healthier to me now that's its thinned a bit. I bet it was getting heavy fertilization at the nursery.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Queen Victorian posted:

Side note: when we planted our trees, which we got from a great local nursery that specializes in trees, they strongly recommended against staking because it discourages robust root system development - if the tree is getting knocked around by wind, it'll put down more and better roots to hold itself in place, but if it's propped up by staking, it won't need to do that and you get a less extensive root system. We were told to only stake if the tree was coming up crooked or otherwise wouldn't stay straight on its own.

Interesting. Yeah I didn't think about it too hard, just thought I had to. Right now I'm weighing the pros and cons. One big pro is that it helps discourage the little ones from messing with them. (We also occasionally have deer and foxes wandering around, not sure if that matters.) I'll do some more research on it.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Interesting. Yeah I didn't think about it too hard, just thought I had to. Right now I'm weighing the pros and cons. One big pro is that it helps discourage the little ones from messing with them. (We also occasionally have deer and foxes wandering around, not sure if that matters.) I'll do some more research on it.

Queen Victorian is right about staking. Plants (not just trees) are stronger when the wind is pushing them around so staking for any longer than you absolutely must is kind of a self fulfilling prophecy where once the stake is removed the tree isn't strong enough to stay upright without it.

It's not a bad idea to protect it from children or animals loving with it (various animals can/will gently caress up the base of a young tree's trunk given an opportunity) but the way to do that is with a tree guard/protector which is basically just a circle of something that goes around the base of the trunk without touching it. You can buy all kinds of them, from (relatively) cheap plastic ones to super fancy metal ones, but you can also just throw your own together with a couple of stakes and some chicken wire.

Queen Victorian posted:

It doesn't appear unhealthy to me; I would just leave it alone and let it do its thing. It looks like it has put on a lot of new growth now that it isn't constrained anymore. The place it mostly looks thinner than last year is in the interior where not much light would be reaching anyway (at least that's what it looks like, hard to tell depth from a photo), so it may also be reacting to that.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good greenhouses/nurseries primarily for houseplants in the Panama City/St Joe area? Taking a weekend trip this weekend and wanted to scope some out but my google maps searching is coming up with Home Depot etc.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I'm not an expert but I much prefer the current look of your tree. Looks healthier to me now that's its thinned a bit. I bet it was getting heavy fertilization at the nursery.

Wallet posted:

It doesn't appear unhealthy to me; I would just leave it alone and let it do its thing. It looks like it has put on a lot of new growth now that it isn't constrained anymore. The place it mostly looks thinner than last year is in the interior where not much light would be reaching anyway (at least that's what it looks like, hard to tell depth from a photo), so it may also be reacting to that.

Okay I feel a bit better now. Over-fertilization at the nursery when it was in burlap makes sense.

There is some more notable thinning in the middle, which I was a little bummed by. You can't see it from the angle in the pics, but there's somewhat of a "rift" in the foliage from how the branches separate and are angled. Was hoping it would start filling in a bit but have had a few of the lower inner branches die off. I guess the crown will eventually fill the void.

But yeah the tree looks perfect other than it not being as thick and bushy as it was when we got it. I image searched coral barks and there was definitely a mix of bushy foliage and lacy foliage and it looked like there was more lacy foliage in established in-ground specimens. Seems like it might indeed be differences in fertilization between in-ground and potted/burlap trees. One problem with coral barks though is that folks loooove taking winter pics and closeups, which is nice and all but that means fewer late spring/summer pics with the entire tree in the shot for me to reference :mad:

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah if you have kids and/or critters around, just ring the new trees with chicken wire or deer fencing, which will do a much better job protecting them and leave them freestanding. One of my friends has planted a lot of trees lately and he has had to fence them to keep the deer from eating all the leaves in the summer and ripping off all the bark in the winter. He's on a cul-de-sac backing up to woods in a suburban area, so deer are inevitable. On the other hand, I'm much more urban and don't have to deal with anything worse than the occasional rabbit, so no protective fencing necessary for me. Though if dogs start trying to piss on my cherry tree (which is close to the sidewalk), I might have to install a piss shield.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Queen Victorian posted:

There is some more notable thinning in the middle, which I was a little bummed by. You can't see it from the angle in the pics, but there's somewhat of a "rift" in the foliage from how the branches separate and are angled.

The tree is naturally not going to want to invest energy in leaves/branches that are getting shaded out in the center. You probably don't really want it to, either, as good air circulation helps keep the tree healthy and very often branches in the center end up rubbing against other branches in the wind causing the tree to have more or less permanent open wounds.

How much it does or doesn't grow in as desired is largely going to come down to how it gets pruned. In general if you want to get a tree or a shrub to fill in somewhere lower down you need to remove foliage above that spot to allow light to get in. IMO that's not necessary here (but I also can't see the tree from different angles so maybe it is). If you need/want a refresher Purdue has a pretty decent primer on tree pruning available here and some additional information about ornamentals and shrubs specifically over here.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 20, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

skylined! posted:

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for good greenhouses/nurseries primarily for houseplants in the Panama City/St Joe area? Taking a weekend trip this weekend and wanted to scope some out but my google maps searching is coming up with Home Depot etc.
Not quite the same but a friend told me about a really great (and of course expensive) one near seaside/Rosemary beach/destin but I can’t remember the name of it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
2-week note on bringing many/most of my bigger houseplants and succulents outside:

UNLEASH THE BEAST WITHIN

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’ve got a ton to post, I’ve been super busy at this hobby all winter and spring. I’ve acquired a ton of plants...maybe—maybe too many.

Anyway, I just spotted my first flower of the two Girard White azaleas I started last year:

I gotta be honest, I’m so immensely proud of this little tree.

Like...as a parent, because I really feel like that was all the tree and I just watered it and moved it and made sure it didn’t die or fall over too much (and pruned it a bunch, but honestly this tree has just seemed to give me everything I wanted with little serious intervention beyond some initial and end-of-summer maintenance)

And here’s a few of my early Senketsu blooms (Lowes, of all places, had a bunch of legit satsukis this year. And AFAICT nice ones too):

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I don’t care, it’s not a triple post if it’s a literal day apart

https://twitter.com/hegelwcrmcheese/status/1396173291790995459?s=21

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
We need to have class solidarity with nonmycorrhizal plants.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Long time no see, Horticulture thread. It was brutally hot here last week so I spent a lot of time indoors. A few of the unidentified iris I planted last year and hadn't gotten to see flower started opening up in the heat, so that's nice.

Pretty sure this one is just pseudacorus, so at least that's easy.

And this one is some kind of tall bearded iris cultivar but god drat there are so loving many. I think I'm just going to call it Northwest Pride and move on with my life.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone on Reddit found a fasciated Berberis thunbergii.

Normal growth looks like this:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Hey plant goons, I have a question: I noticed last night that my jade plant seems to be bending over. I watered it on Sunday and it was fine, and now most of it is bent down and I can't figure out why. I don't think it's got rot or anything because everything feels nice and firm, not soft or mushy, and I let it dry out completely between waterings. Conversely, I don't think it's under-watered because everything is still plump. If it had become too heavy surely only the heavy parts would have bent, right? The weird thing is that it's all bent in one direction, the entire plant.

I'm trying to add a photo but the app seems to be being a bit of a dingle.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
What kind of sun do you have it in?

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost

Hey man that poo poo looks right!!

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Holyyyyy poo poo it’s hot this week, all my buddies getting ate up. Watered every other day, still having a time of it.

Successes: almost everything in the new garden is making it, phone posting so can’t do scientific names for most but:

Contorted European black beech
Ilex x “woah Nellie”
Penstemon twizzle mix
Osmanthus fragrans
Lorepetalum
Aralia sunking

Ah and a shut load of other stuff!! Getting too lazy to type it all out lol. Too many tbh, I gotta dial this plant buying back, but will probably try to pick up some palms down on the coast this weekend, might try and hook up with some off the wall Sabals

The stachyurus ate poo poo, deer and the wet winter spelled his end. Next time homie.

This is kind of weird year foe the garden and I feel like that’s happening to a lot of people. Everything is established but the exciting poo poo I put down is just starting to get good, nothing wild yet. Next year I think I’m going to have some baller pics

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oil of Paris posted:

What kind of sun do you have it in?

Western exposure, probably not as much as it would want in nature, but it's been there for seven years and hasn't had any problems till now Usually I bring it outdoors come summer and it goes nuts. The weird part is that it all bent in the same direction.

Edit: I give it about a quarter turn each week to prevent this very thing, and the direction it's leaning now is away from the window.

Mad Hamish fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 27, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Oil of Paris posted:

Holyyyyy poo poo it’s hot this week, all my buddies getting ate up. Watered every other day, still having a time of it.
I never got around to planting vegetables but the weekend before last I finally got up some gumption and planted sunflowers and marigolds and basil and echinacea and zinnias and gourds from seed. It was supposed to rain most of last week but we haven’t had a drop since I planted and it’s been sprinklers sprinklers sprinklers. There’s no substitute for a real rain that soaks way down in the dirt, especially in my light, sandy soil. Sprinklers just kind of get stuff wet enough to live, but rain makes it grow.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Oil of Paris posted:

We had a string of super hot days last week and everything was mostly fine (with some watering), even things I was worried about not being rooted in enough to handle it. The only thing that actually took it poorly was a Cotoneaster adpressus I put in a couple of months ago; all of its leaves totally poo poo the bed within a day of each other, though all of the stems are still alive. On the plus side I got it from an actual nursery so they'll refund it, but I'm bummed 'cause it was adding some really nice texture and color where it was :(

Mad Hamish posted:

Edit: I give it about a quarter turn each week to prevent this very thing, and the direction it's leaning now is away from the window.

Hard to say what it's up to—they will start to droop like that if they don't get enough water (or if they get too much water). Have you repotted it recently? For its size that doesn't look like very much pot.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 27, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My little drift of lacecap hydrangeas has really filled in to form a solid line and it's lookin nice now.

Bottlebrush buckeye is set to bloom soon? The gardenias are really blooming too. Living in the south gets me down at times, but I don't want to ever live where gardenias won't grow. I don't think any flower smells better.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I finally pulled the trigger earlier this week and requested a replacement for my dying Stella cherry tree. They got it to me a lot quicker than expected: today. So I went ahead and fit replacing the tree into my schedule.

Here's the replacement. Looking good. Fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Of course, as luck would have it... I finally saw some new growth on the bad tree! Very little, though. Just like, some buds low on the trunk. But it was enough to make me want to try planting it somewhere else, out of the way, just in case it survives. So I did that too.

But I also did a little surgery. I basically kept doing the scratch test starting from the top and working my way down until I found green. Interestingly, it started getting green pretty much right below that weird oozing wound I mentioned earlier.

Here's a cross section of it after I cut off the top branches, but still above the wound:

And after I cut a little further down:

Interesting. Well, I'll hope the best for this little guy, but in the meantime I have a nice new one to replace it. This one will sit in the corner of the backyard until it behaves...

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Glad you were able to get a new tree. New one looks good (aside from being thirsty - last year it was always VERY obvious when my Stella was thirsty, but you'd water it and it'd perk right back up). Also cool that you're seeing the dead-looking one revive. Hopefully it makes it and you can train it up into a straight trunk.

Wallet posted:

The tree is naturally not going to want to invest energy in leaves/branches that are getting shaded out in the center. You probably don't really want it to, either, as good air circulation helps keep the tree healthy and very often branches in the center end up rubbing against other branches in the wind causing the tree to have more or less permanent open wounds.

How much it does or doesn't grow in as desired is largely going to come down to how it gets pruned. In general if you want to get a tree or a shrub to fill in somewhere lower down you need to remove foliage above that spot to allow light to get in. IMO that's not necessary here (but I also can't see the tree from different angles so maybe it is). If you need/want a refresher Purdue has a pretty decent primer on tree pruning available here and some additional information about ornamentals and shrubs specifically over here.

Thanks a bunch for these pruning papers - extremely informative. Will also be applying the knowledge to our shitshow of a forsythia that I've definitely been pruning wrong for the last couple years (but if I didn't prune at all it'd be like 20 feet tall and taking over our porch).

Here's the rift in the Japanese maple:

Much more pronounced with the less bushy foliage and the branches starting to grow/elongate/spread more. It's the only notable "defect" with this tree.

I've been incredibly timid about pruning because it came to us looking so incredibly good. So other than clean out dead branches/twigs I haven't done much at all, and at this point with it being almost June I'm worried I missed the boat on anything more significant. Maybe try to encourage some of the upper branches to fill in? I figure as that happens I'll lose more of the foliage low down in the rift.

There's lots of evidence of prior pruning, so the nursery was definitely quite attentive to it (and all of their large specimen Japanese maples) so now I'm thinking its previous bushiness was a result of abundant fertilizer and also regular pruning. And then I got it and gave it only a tiny amount of fertilizer and didn't prune. I'll do additional research into upright Japanese maples in particular since they're kind of at the intersection of proper tree and ornamental.

And here's a bonus iris:

Got jealous of the neighbor's irises and planted some neato fancy ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

Glad you were able to get a new tree. New one looks good (aside from being thirsty - last year it was always VERY obvious when my Stella was thirsty, but you'd water it and it'd perk right back up). Also cool that you're seeing the dead-looking one revive. Hopefully it makes it and you can train it up into a straight trunk.
Thanks a bunch for these pruning papers - extremely informative. Will also be applying the knowledge to our shitshow of a forsythia that I've definitely been pruning wrong for the last couple years (but if I didn't prune at all it'd be like 20 feet tall and taking over our porch).

Here's the rift in the Japanese maple:

Much more pronounced with the less bushy foliage and the branches starting to grow/elongate/spread more. It's the only notable "defect" with this tree.

I've been incredibly timid about pruning because it came to us looking so incredibly good. So other than clean out dead branches/twigs I haven't done much at all, and at this point with it being almost June I'm worried I missed the boat on anything more significant. Maybe try to encourage some of the upper branches to fill in? I figure as that happens I'll lose more of the foliage low down in the rift.

There's lots of evidence of prior pruning, so the nursery was definitely quite attentive to it (and all of their large specimen Japanese maples) so now I'm thinking its previous bushiness was a result of abundant fertilizer and also regular pruning. And then I got it and gave it only a tiny amount of fertilizer and didn't prune. I'll do additional research into upright Japanese maples in particular since they're kind of at the intersection of proper tree and ornamental.

This weekend is like the very last weekend I’m giving myself to air-layer my maples. Have you considered air layering that second trunk on the left into its own separate tree?

In any case, I’d probably prune it right off. The tree is young enough that I doubt you want to strengthen it into a double-apex this early. If you’re not worried about preserving that trunk I’d just lop the whole thing off (with enough space left over for dieback, of course) sooner rather than later before it gets super hot.

You can also wait to prune at the end of summer/beginning of fall when the leaves start to drop.