Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Alright guys, talk me onto the ledge here a little bit... If my local comic book store has the perfect grade GP01 FB I should totally get it, right? HG to PG isn't going to be THAT much of a leap, right?

PGs are much bigger, with higher part counts and some of the older ones have metal screws as part of the build process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

Alright guys, talk me onto the ledge here a little bit... If my local comic book store has the perfect grade GP01 FB I should totally get it, right? HG to PG isn't going to be THAT much of a leap, right?

The instructions are easy to follow. It takes longer to put together because more parts, but it's not a huge spike in difficulty. It's going to look freaking sweet when you're done.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Gin_Rummy posted:

Not unless you really and truly love Stardust Memory. You might want to consider a Real Grade of recent vintage before you hop into PGs to get a gauge on the complexity. It'd also be advisable to pick a kit from either grade from the last ten years or so.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
It's even more parts than usual because you get all the regular and FB parts, and a big stand to put the spares on.

I haven't built the PG GP01, but looking at the instructions, it's one of the hosed up ones with screws and springs and stuff, so it might be a little fiddly, but it's also not loaded up with LED wires and stuff. It's probably a bit of a jump from working on HGs, but the impression I'm getting is that older PGs are basically bigger versions of modern Master Grades. The advantage is that the parts are huge, so you aren't likely to lose as many 1/144 vulcans in your carpet or whatever - if you just go in knowing that it's going to take a while to build it, you should be fine.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Managed to get my hands on a Zero Gravity Judge. Now just gotta wait by the mailbox.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Those 2000s PG units are not really that hard to build in terms of difficulty, but they are a lot finickier with the screws and springs and stuff. I really want to get that PG GP01FB kit, but it's hard to pull the trigger on a box that big and that pricey with the backlog I've already got.

I lost one piece from the PG Char Zaku II I built and it wasn't super consequential, but it irritated me to lose one out of probably 700 pieces.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Of the older PGs I've heard some really bad poo poo about the GP01.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

That has also kept me from pulling the trigger, it looks gorgeous but I've heard the balance and scale of it can be kinda tough.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Looks especially gorgeous if you go all in and do some painting too. I came across this paintjob in a reddit post and it looks smooth.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

I'm almost 100% sure it can't be worse than the PG Wing Zero, which remains the most hateful Gunpla build I have ever done.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

I'm forever turned away the FB by how annoying the RG was to put together. Those connector pegs in the chest should really have been longer to hold on to the upper section.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mephiston posted:

I'm forever turned away the FB by how annoying the RG was to put together. Those connector pegs in the chest should really have been longer to hold on to the upper section.

I just glued it and never looked back. I'm not a fan of core fighter gimmicks so I didn't lose much by fusing the chest section together.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

ANAmal.net posted:

I'm almost 100% sure it can't be worse than the PG Wing Zero, which remains the most hateful Gunpla build I have ever done.

Oof. My best friend in highschool built one of those. I wouldn't get into Gundam for several more years and didn't "get" gunpla because I was building F-15s etc where snap together models are for babies. His $100+ lump of slumped over plastic leaning against a book and surrounded by smaller lumps of plastic that had fallen off didn't do much to convince me of the superiority of gunpla.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

Oof. My best friend in highschool built one of those. I wouldn't get into Gundam for several more years and didn't "get" gunpla because I was building F-15s etc where snap together models are for babies. His $100+ lump of slumped over plastic leaning against a book and surrounded by smaller lumps of plastic that had fallen off didn't do much to convince me of the superiority of gunpla.

I took mine apart a few years after building it, to do some detail painting and glue a lot of the rickety armor parts back on. I though I'd done a pretty good job rebuilding it, until I put the wings on, and the thing still can't help but fall over. It didn't come with a stand either, which doesn't help - I've heard the PG Exia stand works with it, but I haven't bought one yet.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

In the PG Wing Zero's defense, the design is inherently unbalanced and ridiculous the wings are so huge compared to the rest of it, it never had a chance.

I swear they need to learn their lesson about transformable gunpla, it never works well just have it be the one version or include a different set of runners for the core fighter part.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

But the Zeta is so drat cool.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If you watch the Zeta movies, parts of it break off after it pulls out from The O after the waverider crash. The fragile Zeta kits are just accurate to the show.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
No joke, I had been wary of RGs for a while after having the Zeta be one of my first

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Like anyone that really loves the Zeta wouldn't buy a waverider form gunpla of it

dont be cowards bandai spread that line out for maximum profits!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I got an MG Wing a while back as my reintroduction to models, it actually turned me off of the hobby till a girl I dated got me back into it recently. It really is the kind of thing where you choose one mode and leave it there, because whenever you try to transform it, the skirts are going to snap off and the head is going to pop off the balljoint.

Maybe it's a plot to get us to buy two models to display both forms :tinfoil:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Unlucky7 posted:

No joke, I had been wary of RGs for a while after having the Zeta be one of my first

Zeta was my first one too, and it really seems like for some reason a lot of people start with that one. I've only built 2 RGs, the Zeta and the Nu. Probably the single largest delta in quality

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Like anyone that really loves the Zeta wouldn't buy a waverider form gunpla of it

For real make it like a 2 pack thing. Boom done

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I didn't think the Zeta 2.0 MG was terrible (or for that matter, the old-as-balls Zetaplus MG)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Marx Headroom posted:

I honestly don't know why that isn't the standard option for the Zeta/Kyrios/wave rider style units. They're funky enough transformed to easily sell me on wanting both to display.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Marx Headroom posted:

Doesn't the HG delta plus do a halfway attempt at this?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

I honestly don't know why that isn't the standard option for the Zeta/Kyrios/wave rider style units. They're funky enough transformed to easily sell me on wanting both to display.

Honestly I wish there were some transformer or power ranger style action figures for the transforming mecha. Something a bit sturdier that could handle being manipulated better than a model kit, and I'm the kind of person that has to take the toy down and fiddle with things anyways. I was hoping that's something that could be done in the gundam universe line, but I don't think that's something they designed into the figures that would benefit from it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If only there was a suit that had a stylish and elegant transformation that wouldn't make the kit a wobbly mess that they could make. Cough give me my loving Reborns MG cough

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

The HGUC Gaplant already exists, it even looks good from every angle

The HGUC Messala is also rock solid in either form

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

no ring

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That's more of a Byarlant thing.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
lol nice

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Woundwort preorder's dropping in an hour, folks. Buckle up

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
e: nevermind for now, gonna wait till I can get some better pics

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 21, 2021

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

catgirlgenius posted:

Woundwort preorder's dropping in an hour, folks. Buckle up

Oh poo poo, that's my last p-bandai white whale.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The stein looks better with more detail so I liked the recast kit. I had to dremel the poo poo out of this though, especially the side thrusters on the legs.

... I also lost the stein head on the move, but luckily I had a sinanju mg that got broken years ago so I just swiped that head.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Oh poo poo, that's my last p-bandai white whale.

The TR-6 [Hazel II] was one of mine, so now I just need them to do another printing of the Kehaar.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I’ve had trouble with the Messer being in stock but the type 2 just got announced so here’s my chance.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

In the PG Wing Zero's defense, the design is inherently unbalanced and ridiculous the wings are so huge compared to the rest of it, it never had a chance.

I swear they need to learn their lesson about transformable gunpla, it never works well just have it be the one version or include a different set of runners for the core fighter part.

Yeah the wings make it a poo poo to pose but it's problem is really just that it is boring to build. Do not recommend

The PG astray (and presumably the strike as the astray seems to be a glorified recolour, don't @ me) are waaaayyyyyyyyyy more fun to build than any of the prior PGs. The Astray is maybe my favourite build ever.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 21, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

El Burbo posted:

I’ve had trouble with the Messer being in stock but the type 2 just got announced so here’s my chance.

For such a chunky suit the pictures I've seen make it look pretty posable. Has anyone built it who can give a trip report?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arcsquad12 posted:

For such a chunky suit the pictures I've seen make it look pretty posable. Has anyone built it who can give a trip report?

It's great. Very posable, super solid, and huge.